MBI Energy Services Employee Reviews

Excellent company to work for with great training and benifits.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Belfield, NDMarch 3, 2017
I have been here 11 years, The oil industry is up and down but MBI continues to capture as much work as possible even during the down turn. If you are willing to ride out the highs and lows of the industry MBI will be here when it turns around again. Weather conditions here can be harsh but its North Dakota. Management has changed but this company is in business to stay in business. The ability to change and adapt to the changes in the industry is the key. Best Training hands down. Great safety culture.
Pros
Excellent benifits and training.
Cons
Some winters can be harsh.
Room For Improvement
Manager (Current Employee) –  North DakotaJanuary 19, 2017
Good company due to benefits, compensation, professional mobility and work/life balance (if you desire).

Downgraded due to Management and their willingness to 'promote' from within; nepotism is an issue. Operations is not willing to be nimble, something the company takes pride in.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Culture and Management
Not what it once was
Water Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ross, NDMarch 4, 2017
The company has been seeming to hold on by the skin of its teeth for quite some time now. Since the oil boom ended really. Work is extremely scarce and nothing is proactively done to procure work. This company is also relying on contractors to the point of ignoring their company employees. The benefits are decent though company housing is charged at an exorbitant rate. Management never really listens to employees unless it may directly benifit them to do so. Logistics for this company has to be ran like someone throwing darts on a map and busy work created for no pay. The pay is also load or percentage based. You will not earn what is promised to you. That is guaranteed.
Pros
Decent benefits package
Cons
Very dangerous work and conditions. Pay isn't as good as it should be. Work is never steady.
Just want you to make money for them
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Watford City, NDJanuary 6, 2017
The management does not care about you, only that you are out there working to make them money. If you are a driver, you gotta suck it up if you wanna work. -30 windchill, working for 16 hours minimum. Bosses go home, tell you to "finish all the work".
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Dont care about your health or welfare, raises promised but not given, no family life
Great Company to work for
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfield, NDMarch 21, 2017
I have been working with MBI for 9 years. The people you work with are great. They have flexible scheduling to work with your home life. Also no matter what the company goes through, they try to do what's best for the company and for the employee's
Pros
Benefits, 401K, Flexible schedule
Cons
The Oil field changes everyday so there will be ups and downs, you have to be flexible when it comes to work. Management can improve in some areas.
Excellent company excellent benefits excellent safety program
Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Ross, NDJanuary 28, 2017
I have been working for mbi since September the safety program is one of the best in the industry I have open communications with the upper management and they listen and understand situations and very promp on solutions,excellent crew to work with,
Pros
Great pay great benefits
Cons
Housing costs
Great Company
Buisness Operations (Current Employee) –  Belfield, NDJanuary 24, 2017
Great company. Great pay, advancement, and benefits!

Overall amazing company. A lot of changes recently but all for the better. It is getting better and better and 2017 is looking bright!
Field (Current Employee) –  Belfield, NDMarch 6, 2017
MBI has gotten harsh reviews due to an ever changing market/environment in the Oil Industry. MBI has managed to come out strong in the down turn and continues to make improvements every day. I believe they are going in the right direction and continually improving.

Certain divisions can definitely use improvement when it comes to management
Pros
Insurance, Pay, continuous change
Good company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYDecember 29, 2016
MBI Energy Services was hands down the best trucking company I worked for. Hourly pay, minimum hours, overtime pay, some holidays off.

My terminal was shut down, and our job was outsourced, so there were a lot of sand haulers, dispatch officers, office staff and management that was let go. Not all of us could find available positions elsewhere in the company.
Good coworkers
Floor Hand (Current Employee) –  Watford City, NDMarch 1, 2017
Couldn't get time off to go see doctors when other coworkers got days off as soon as they asked took three weeks to get a day off to go, management told every one we where all just bodies to make money and we didn't matter to the company
Company
Gauger/Saltwater disposal Manager (Current Employee) –  Belfield, NDMarch 6, 2017
Great Company till they got so big that it was about them not its people that made the company what it is today. I just wanted more in life. I was promoted 2 times but the company went south when the oil dried up so had to move onto another job.
Company was a good place to work until the oil price dropped
Transportation Specialist/Hazmat Driver (Former Employee) –  Ross, NDJune 24, 2016
Fair equipment, very good mechanics, not enough work to make it away from home. good safety team. very good training program. cost of company housing was to high. The New management team knows nothing about truck operations. Not much to offer anymore.
Pros
Good training
Going down hill fast
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North DakotaApril 22, 2016
Management here is terrible! Ever since the Arthauds are not incharge of the business... it has gone downhill terribley! The turn over rate is high here for a reason. Apply at your own risk.
Good pay, bad management
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Ross, NDMay 21, 2015
its is shift work 5 to 5 six days a week. I enjoyed the people I worked with the only down side was there was no one to turn too with complaints about management, seemed to be too much of a "good ole' boys club"
It was a much better place to work 2 years ago but the pay and benefits were good.
Pros
Paid medical for you and your family
Cons
you are just a number
Great work enviroment
Field Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Belfield, NDJuly 15, 2015
My typical day at work starts out with the line up with the crews, we cover out safety topics for the day, and I make sure they have all the proper safety equipment before heading out into the field. I will then send out and email detailing my safety plan for the day. After that I will head out into the field checking on the work sites and making sure all of my workers are in compliance. If there are any incidents during my shift I will respond to the scene, make sure all parties are safe, then begin my investigation and report. I would have to say the hardest part of my job is working away from home. I currently live in California, but I am working in North Dakota. I am a family man and it can be difficult to say the least. The most enjoyable part of my job is the many opportunities I have been given to learn and develop my safety career.
Pros
Healthcare, Training, Leadership
Cons
16 hour shifts, Sub zero temperatures
Your a number and expendable
SAFE Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ross NDSeptember 9, 2014
Long hours,horrible management, little or no trainning before your sent out in the field. Terrible leadership and management.

I would find another place to work, no time for a life working 100 hrs a week, little sleep.
Great pay but nothing to do in North Dakota
Salt Water Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Watford City, NDMay 6, 2015
Due to the price of oil declining left a lot of workers with less hours to work. Before i would work 12-14 hours and my hours were shortened 8-10 hours. I enjoyed the job but the time away from my family took a toll on us and I had to come back home to my young children. I would suggest this company to anyone that wants to work and make money. There is not much to do in North Dakota. So if you get home sick easy this is not a place for you.
Pros
free benefits and pay
Cons
manager gave more hours to people that they liked
Has potential..But Management is the problem
Wireline Operator (Former Employee) –  North DakotaOctober 6, 2014
Worked with the High Plains Wireline...Would've been a awesome job but....But good ol'boy management that lacked true leadership was incompetent at best backed up with cronyism, nepotism and lack of training for anyone other than a one of their kids or buddies..made it a nightmare. .Don't get me wrong if you get in a click you're gonna do fine..maybe until someone in management wants to get a family member or a buddy a job....
Pros
Nice Equipment, lots of hours
Cons
Incompetent management No real HR or Safety support
I work here
Water Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Ross, NDJune 18, 2015
Until the crash happened I was very please with MBI, work has been slow and do not understand why they keep hiring which makes matters worse,
Though during the slow down they did keep us busy doing various different projects, that has not been the case lately
Pros
Good Pay (when working) good benefits.
Cons
not enough work lately
For Some People
Water Transfer Tech (Former Employee) –  Killdeer, NDSeptember 25, 2014
Where do I start?

Job:

It's a heavy manual labor position. Unfortunately, MBI Recruiter failed to state this. Was hired on as a CDL driver, but I have only driven one time. The rest is heavy labor. Work hours are typically 15 hour days, which is fine. However, they house you in Dickinson, which is a hour drive from the yard. By the time a day is finished, with travel time, you only get about three hours of sleep. How can anyone operate a Commercial Vehicle safely with three hours of sleep? Three hours of sleep for three weeks straight does not equate to a safe working environment.

Training:

There is no training. I was sent into the field and given little to no direction. The foreman would not say a word to me. I finally asked him if there is something I should be doing? He advised me to just observe. There is no direction whatsoever. There was no explanation into how and why things work. If you are rigging up or down, you'll just be doing hard labor, which does not require any training. It's self explanatory.

Management/Supervisors/Leads:

In the Water Transfer Division there are several Supervisors/Leads (Foreman). Most of them grew up together in Minnesota, and they are extremely cliquish. They openly talk down about the new guys (Green Hats), instead of properly training them. There are many days where returning to the yard at the end of shift that some of them smell of alcohol.

Coworker (Green Hats):

Most are helpful and will explain how to do things since trainers/foreman won't. However, there is quite a few bad apples who take on the trainers/foreman's
  more... point-of-views. The don't want anything to do with you because you are a brand new green hat. These bad apples are typically the green hats that have been in the department for three months.  less
Pros
Compensation, Hours
Cons
Sleep, Housing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MBI Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.