MC Sports Employee Reviews

OK for a season
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 24, 2016
Worked at Traverse City MC as a seasonal employee. The store went thru three assistant managers in that time. Mostly due to the fact that the District Manager would not fill the position with anyone from the store staff, he insisted on bringing in "new blood". I saw several great and well deserving employees past over which resulted in a bit of frustration for the staff, especially when the new Ast.Mgr. wants to show their authority.

The work schedules were ok, a few too many Close / Open shifts.

Store Manager (Scott) was nice. Worked will with employees.

Expect typical lower end retail hourly pay.

Store discounts aren't any better than what the typical customer can get on the promotions. However, the discounts from vendors (i.e. Under Armour, Columbia, etc.) can be awesome. You just have to do the online training.
Pros
Vendor discounts
Cons
Lower end retail pay, revolving door of Assistant Managers
Fun place to work with great people to work with
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MIAugust 26, 2016
I learned a lot from my time at MC Sports, it teaches you how to work hard and how to be able to have fun at the same time. The co-workers were amazing and the chemistry of the work place was always very nice. The management was very kind and they also taught me a lot throughout the time I work there. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I had the chance to work with.
Productive and fun workplace with great coworkers.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIAugust 10, 2015
Fun work place with great coworkers and management team. Mc Sports lets you personally grow and develop into a better employee. There a good amount of politics in this company, but its expected from a large private company.
Pros
30 min breaks, 401k match.
Employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 6, 2016
The best part being there was i never was left clueless everytime i needed help with something somebody was there for me they check up on you all the time to make sure things are ok i was trained very well i got along with everyone the where really nice.
Ok
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 23, 2016
Was an OK experience. District manager didn't train well and expected me to work 60+ hours a week while trying to obtain my Bachelor's Degree.
Very Good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 5, 2016
Very nice golf course to work at. Members of the club are enjoyable to be around and the inside staff as well as the outside staff are great people and allow the job to be enjoyable.
Slow paced retail
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMarch 4, 2016
Limited ability to move up in the company. Some job incentives.Some days are very busy, while others are slow paced. Pay rate is not very good in my opinion.
Pros
Incentives when selling certain product
Cons
Pay rate
fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IADecember 7, 2015
great place to work fun team environment very small company easy to build one on one relationships with customers easy to learn retail basics
Pros
discounts
Cons
no advancement
Lima Ohio Ethics Issues
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHOctober 26, 2012
This store is being managed by a young and inexperienced management team. With the lack of experience, employee’s are not treated fairly or rated according to personal strengths and abilities. They are instead rated by how much they are liked or disliked. If you are willing to party with the young managers and don't mind getting pulled into personal issues involving management employee relations then you will have a very good experience at this location. If however you are a hard worker and expect to be treated fairly than I would advice you steer clear.
Pros
if you are young white and good looking you will do very well
Cons
promotions are based off of age instead of exsperience and skill
Energetic, with friendly and caring associates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MIApril 27, 2014
As a sales associate/cashier, typical day consist of greeting, being polite and helping customers. Moving new merchandise to the sales floors and re-arranging inventory to districts “planogram” to increase sales. Associates goal are to have returning customers because of the great staff at MC Sports. Being around sporting equipment I am familiar with, gives me the opportunity to teach and learn from customers. With management being low, as a cashier I’ve learned the procedures they take for returns, exchanges, special orders and customer requests. All of the associates are required to know standard management procedures in case they are busy. Low management is also a down fall, due to few managers; customers have to wait minutes longer for their assistance. Thankfully the staff is outstanding, creating a enjoyable and healthy work environment.
Pros
discounts on products in store and on 3.5 training
Cons
few promotion opportunities
A job for teeangers.
Sales associate/gun department (Current Employee) –  IndianaJuly 29, 2015
It was always a struggle to pay my bills and work for mc sports, makeing only 8.30 would not pay my bills it is ok if your a teenager but in the gun section you have to be 21 to sell guns, so there is a high turn over rate, because of the low pay and no advanced ment, also there are no set amount of hours, u may work 30 one week and 5 hour the next week. There is alot of drama. I could of really helped mc sports but too many managers were stuck up and liers. There loss they missed out on a good employee.The managemnt pays horribley, and treats there employess like numbers and wonders why people dont stay, it takes too my friend, would of thought a person would know that with a degree from purdue.
Pros
Alot of days off.
Cons
Low pay, drama, managment lie, paperwork
friendly fun work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day at work would be greeting and small talk with the customers, learned allot about display and organization of products/store, my management were very down to earth and easy to get along with. The co-workers where kind and helpful everyone worked good together. The job was fairly easy i had no problems with anything. The most enjoyable part would have to be the customer, you can meet some very cool interesting people while at work.
Pros
free lunches and snacks alot
Cons
no benefits
Good company culture and values plus fun place to work.
Price Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 27, 2012
I have worked at MC Sports for over 10 years and have loved my time there. Worked in the stores for 9 years and the corporate office for 2 years. Great place to work, but was looking for further advancement which based on the size of the company is not an option.
Pros
great schedule, people, fun environment
Cons
compensation, advancement is limited.
Relaxed and fun place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 30, 2015
Great co-workers to help pass the tedious days of sales and customer service. Fun to work job, especially if you enjoy the world of sports. Spend quite a bit of time talking with customers about sports you are both passionate about, which really helps make the day easier.
Pros
Additional financial opportunities available
Cons
Limited advancements allowed
Very fun Staff!!
Cashier/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILSeptember 11, 2015
It was a great company to work for and the employees were just as great!! I was trained on the register, returns, layaway, and also did the book work for the store inventory. It is a sporting goods store so I had to learn a lot about each sport and how to size the equipment with each customer.
Pros
Great meeting and working with many different people, a lot of overtime pay
Cons
Employees not showing up for their shift so I was always to work extra hours
Fun place to work, but can be stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  ManySeptember 1, 2011
MC Sports was a good place to work. The people and the employees that you're surrounded with are great. The upper management outside the store can be not so great. Be sure you don't make a mistake because it will be held against you for the entirety of your career there. Very judgmental.
Pros
great employees, good discount
Cons
low pay, district manager
Typical day
Apparel Department Manager (Former Employee) –  south portage MichiganJune 19, 2015
a typical work day would be cleaning up the store and making it look presentable. Put in a cash drawer. Assisting customers with whatever their needs might be. Giving tasks to people in a efficient way. Training employees so that they can be a well rounded worker in all departments.
I learned that hard work pays off and that in order to have great customer service you need to be patient and always considerate towards others.
My co-workers were the best.
Hardest part about the job was because I was so versatile in what I was able to do I was stretched to the max
The most enjoyable part was getting to interact with so many different people and making their day better
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
pay was low
A good place for young people to develop hard-working habits.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJuly 1, 2015
The store was divided into sections. Each section was operated by a few specially trained people for that section. This allowed for some sort of expertise in each section to help better the customer experience. Managers seemed to come and go a little more often than what I would have liked to see in a stable business environment. The hardest part of the job was getting used to being scheduled on random days and random times, making it difficult to get into a consistent work flow. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of helping customers, and making sure they had a positive experience.
Mc Sports
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Piqua, OHFebruary 10, 2015
I open or close the store, count registers, help customers find products or order products that they need. As a manager I do office work, make schedules,and do payroll. I restock the shelves, and rework the product that we have to make it look fresh, and unload truck and put product away. My co-workers make the job fun and enjoyable. I enjoy teaching the customers about the products we sell and helping them find everything they need. As management I enjoy teaching the employees about the products and help them learn the way of the company.
Absolutely loved it
Apparel Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Gratiot, MIMay 2, 2015
Best job ever. Loved going to work everyday, loved my coworkers, and management was awesome. Unfortunately can't be there anymore due to the fact that our lease was up and the landlord wouldn't renew it. So much fun and you learn a lot!
Pros
Fun, easy, expos, lots of free things.
Cons
Low pay

2.9