McDonald's Employee Reviews

Found 30,453 reviews matching the search
Fast paced, productive, yet fun place to work with food
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDNovember 1, 2013
A typical work day for me includes running drive thru, assisting other workers in their duties, helping to manage a shift, making sure the store is stocked, and the times in drive thru are at a minimum. Though it sounds like a lot, it's actually not. So far it's taught me patience, better communication skills with people, to be a lot more organized, time management skills, and even how to better train people based on their own needs not just what I know. My managers are pretty stern, but fun to be around. Having managers who have faith in me to get things done without them is a good thing I can say I have at my job. They trust me because they know I'm capable of succeeding and making sure the store will run smoothly with or without them over my shoulder. As for my co-workers, I get along with everyone and they love me. Most of them turn to me asking what needs to be done in the store or for better ways to do things for our company. Having a team that's willing to work together to get things done is a great thing to have in a company. That's one thing that makes me love my job so much. I would say the most enjoyable part of the work day would be seeing the smiles of customers, managers, and co-workers that I've helped or satisfied that day. I get so many customer compliments on a daily basis just based on my everyday personality. I must admit it makes me feel good inside, knowing that someone's day was made because I was simply doing my job. Though I do have good days, there are some hard parts to my position as well. The hardest part to me is not having enough team members some  more... days to run a fast paced, super busy restaurant. Sometimes it can be a bit much, but of course nothing is impossible and the nights always end up going in a smoother direction. As long as those few people that are there work together, I always know we'll be okay. I actually can be one of those people who say I like my job.  less
Pros
free lunch, being trusted to run the store for moments at a time, great co-workers, cool managers, the fact that i have a job, making customers happy
Cons
short breaks, not enough help some days
McDonald's is very flexible on availability, moving up to higher positions and learning how to best serve a customer.
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Pinconning MIJune 19, 2013
McDonald's is a very fast pace fast food restaurant. During the day you will need to stock many times and take several accurate orders with a smile. Cleaning is a must every 15 minutes during high volume periods. Customers need to eat in a clean and sanitized environment as well as their families. After working for McDonald's you learn new things such as stocking properly (First In-First Out), always smile, the customer is always right and to be fast but accurate. As a Crew Trainer, I am the eyes and ears for the managers. I help direct people and provide correction to those who have questions about procedures or policies. The Management is always very considerate and polite to their customers as well as their crew. My Co-Workers are not only that but are my friends too. Everyone gets along and uses team work to get through our day. Some days we are short a few people but manage to pick up the slack and do extra work. Mistakes in food or service can be a tough part of the job. It's never easy to have an irate customer come up to you with a problem, but that's just another thing you have to learn. Mistakes are going to be made occasionally and you usually don't have any clue what that upset customer has been through that day. you just have to smile, apologize and fix the mistake as fast as possible. it makes the customer see that you are sincerely sorry for the mishap and in return makes you feel better that you can handle a situation with ease. Which brings me to my most enjoyable moments. I love to hear good feedback from my customers that they had a good experience with the  more... service as well as the food. Even something simple like making a child happy because you have the one Happy Meal toy they've been wanting.  less
Hectic and high stress environment.
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLSeptember 3, 2015
It's either really slow, and so busy that you and your fellow crew will struggle to stay afloat. A typical work day for me starts out as: I clock in, see what a mess the overnight manager left, find a napkin and get to writing. Stocking is a large part of the job and it will take you a minute to get the hang of finding everything. By the time all the stocking is done we get our morning rush, which, to be honest, is all morning. At 10:30AM is change over, from Breakfast to Lunch. This means that you get the joy of serving people who are rushing to get breakfast before we stop serving, and people who have probably scheduled their day to pull up to the drive-thru at EXACTLY 10:30AM. Things often times go very wrong and you must maintain a happy demeanor and keep calm with customers.

You learn how to communicate, multitask, and adapt.

Management will depend on each location, at mine, I find myself doing more than the managers most of the time.

Co-workers again, vary. I like most of my co-workers however if you have an issue with them, you better get over it.

The hardest part of the job is keeping sane during your downtime. When everything is stocked and cleaned and you're ready for customers, imagine little to none show up and you're sort of just standing there/walking around trying to find something to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the grill, which, I rarely get to do. Flipping burgers even though we don't ACTUALLY flip burgers can be kinda fun. See who can do it the fastest!
Pros
50% off employee discount.
Cons
No benefits unless you're older than 21, relatively low pay even on the manager side of things.
Fast-paced, work-productive environment
Crew Trainer (Current Employee) –  Interlachen, FLFebruary 10, 2015
At McDonald's, I have learned that you must be quick physically and mentally. You must be able to remember customer's orders, because other employees/managers will serve them off the screen before they are presented to the respective customer, or even prepared sometimes, which can cause mix-ups in orders, longer wait times, and confusion among the crew and even customers. I have learned to follow very specific procedures and guidelines which have been created, and almost strictly enforced by McDonald's and their franchisees; they really do have their Golden Standards.
I have learned to become very customer-oriented: "The customer is always right," and then to make it right for them once you listen to them and apologize to them for our mistakes.
The hardest part of my job as a Crew Trainer is having others to follow standard policy and food safety procedures, and delegating. It is also very hard to ensure speedy service when it seems as if you are the only one making specialty drinks (McCafe), making ice cream orders (Cones, Flurries, etc.), making french fries, assembling orders, and handling customer requests, which is sometimes the case in my store.
The most enjoyable part of my job is making a customer's day better, and despite the hectic environment, I will strive to give them a smile, and listen to their day's woes, and offer reassurance, and maybe give them a little something from McDonald's, just as a boost that maybe they will return in hopes for another, because returning customers are always the best. I also enjoy cleaning and stocking every work area in the store.
  more... It is something that makes me feel more ready for the shifts that I work.

All in all, a good place to start out, and acquire the basic employee skills that every employee out there wants and hopes for when looking for a new hire.
Pros
discounted lunches - free if manager; given mistake drinks occasionally
Cons
short breaks or no break; no healthcare benefits; locked salary as a manager
Upbeat, diverse, and fun place to work.
Swing/Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, MAMay 14, 2012
Overall, I really enjoy working at McDonald's for a part-time job (full-time during the summer). During a typical day of work, I go in and there is more than likely a restaurant full of customers, as well as a packed drive-thru. As a swing manager, I help clear out the lines, as well as instruct the crew on what to do and help them stay organized during the busy rushes. Speaking of crew, I really couldn't ask for a better team. The people I work with consist of mostly high school students. However, we have a group of foreign exchange students that come and work with us about every three months, usually stopping in the winter. I see myself as an older sister to the high school kids, and really love watching them learn how to take on more responsibility, as well as try and make their work day a pleasant one. The foreign exchange students are also very fun to work with, being both a new and rewarding experience getting to meet so many great people. Working at McDonald's gets tough when we have unruly or stubborn customers. Also, rushes can get ugly when we run out of product or we just end up a step behind the masses. These aspects are water under the bridge, though. The best part of my job is really everything else. I'm aware that making burgers or serving fries may not appear as a rewarding experience, but it truly is. I've had numerous customers tell both my crew and I how our friendliness and genuine concern for delivering customers a quality product actually makes their day. Like stated before, I love the people I get to work with, which makes the little annoyances just that  more... and not a bigger issue. To wrap this up, McDonald's was a great first job, giving me responsibility and skills necessary to develop in today's work environment.  less
Pros
diversity, interaction.
Cons
heavy stress loads at times.
Not well organized at all!!!
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 17, 2015
When I was first hired I was hired as a maintenance person but they gave me a grill uniform and started putting me in that position without a pay rate change. I had previous grill experience so I picked it up quickly. Then they began scheduling me for the grill position overnight without asking me which wouldn't been bad except I walked to work. So walking home late at night in through some very dark areas was spooky and even treacherous. I was eager to work so other people would stand around and talk or do nonsense and have a newbie like me do all the work. As time went on I learned which particular job went with each position so I figured it out soon enough. The ordering system can be very confusing when it gets very busy because tickets print before the order is finalized and causes way more tickets than actual orders. Some other employees were click-ish and very unprofessional particularly employees speaking Spanish but not realizing I also understand and saying some mean and nasty things (sometimes of other employees and sometimes directed toward me). They make you clock out if business gets too slow and everything is cleaned and expect you to clock in as soon as an order comes in. They were stingy with the employee discount if I only worked a 4 hour or less shift I had to pay full price even for a water in the summer (but I often saw managers basically steal meals or a lot of extras). A few times I would order food during my break pay for it and they would make the wrong thing and I would take it back and spend my break in line (and I never order anything special I  more... order items as they normally come on the menu but it happened a few times until I made my own before I went on break...) Ridiculous!!!  less
Pros
It was close to my house.
I've worked at several McDonald's and the greatness changes with each restaurant.
Back Cashier (Former Employee) –  Iowa Park, TXFebruary 4, 2014
McDonald's is a great company with a bad rap. This is because the quality of the business depends entirely on the franchise owner and the management. While I've worked at several McDonald's the best one was in Iowa Park, TX. The management there is excellent, and they rewarded their employees with compliments and recognition when they deserved it. Had weekly meetings with staff to explain what employees have improved on, and what we could work on. Certain training even counted toward college credit, and the Franchise owner would visit periodicaly, usually every other week, and would give small bonuses to his employees, usually in free meals. Yet, at another McDonald's I worked for in Grass Valley, it was an absolute joke. I worked hard and knew what my duties were. Did them without being prompted and did them diligently. Yet, all I ever had was problems with them. What I noticed is the Franchise owner has his family working for him as the managers including the man's 18 year old that was still in High School at the time while one lady who had been working there for 4 years was still on just the cash register. So, that proved to me there was no room for advancement. One day corporate came in to do inspections. They were asking one of the Franchise owner's kids what the proper procedural times were for getting food out to the customer in the drive-thru. She answered them incorrectly and I answered with the correct answer. Ever since that day they had wrote me up every day for things I hadn't even done. It came down to one day they told a young girl there that they would make her  more... a manager if she agreed to say I had harassed her while at work. For me that was the final straw and I quit. So, as I said there are great McDonald's and poor McDonald's. If you ask me, there needs to be an upgrade in corporate management for the company to run like they expect and would like to see.  less
Fast-paced work environment where learning never ended
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingdom City, MOAugust 13, 2013
A typical day at my job working for McDonald's started out with a checklist. It was my duty to assure that pre-shift jobs were taken care of (either by myself or another able body); after this, I would take a position (generally being in charge of the kitchen area, being the kitchen manager so to speak).
Working at McDonald's taught me more about people than I have ever imagined. Being placed in a truck stop city, I met many people from around the state, country, and world. I learned how to listen more carefully, keep a positive composure always, and how to turn a bad experience into a good experience 10/10 times. Beyond customer service, I also became quicker with numbers from cashiering, quicker with my hands from working in the kitchen, and overall, I became a quicker thinker! Being in such a stressful environment with many people to serve and many rules to follow, I never saw an end to diversity.
The managers at McStop and the attitude they carry truly controls the store. For example, many of my managers could turn a negative into a positive just by showing their support. Often times to increase the productivity in the store, we would compete to see what station could get the faster time (in serving or making food). An aspect that I will always miss about my co-workers is the positive attitudes, you won't go five minutes without hearing a "good job" -- especially on the fast days.
For myself, the hardest part of this job was working with out-dated equipment. Most of the time, it was not a problem, but overall it effected the productivity of the store and stressed everyone
  more... out on a day-to-day basis.
The most enjoyable part of my job was positioning staff and meeting so many people! I enjoy talking with customers and making them happy by simply doing my job.
Pros
free lunches, fast-paced, worked with your schedule
Cons
unpaid break, heat
My fast paste working environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 1, 2013
My typical day at work is very fast paste environment. Working at a fast food restaurant, I have to multitask everyday. I learned a great deal of customer service. Being able to interact daily with regulars and new customers everyday was the best part of work. Seeing regulars come in and say "hello" or "good morning" with my name is great. Being able to be recognized working was a important role. The best part of work is being able to make a customer smile because of my smile. Management was no good. I felt like most managers did not know how to direct crew and put them into positions. Most managers still ask some crew on what to do. I believe that if a manager takes part in management, they are obligated to direct and provide crew with assistant, after all, they did have better training. Some managers were too lazy and upfront, many of us crew did not get much help when it was needed after a busy hour. I have been at McDonald's for 5 years. Management has been offered but I declined due to school. As a crew, it gets a little bit hard when all the pressure is only on yourself. A lot of managers don't see or appreciate their hard working crew, just one simple "good job" would make us more efficient. For my co-workers, I love them. We all work as a team to get the job done. Teamwork is much needed there. Being able to help one another and run about our duties was great. I love working as a team, it makes the day go much faster. The hardest part of the job was when we were short handed with workers. Customers were acknowledged but had to wait due to lack of workers. I could see  more... their faces, waiting, getting tired, wanting their food and we tried our best to fit our customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know everyone. I love seeing new faces, old faces, and just being able to interact with them daily. Makes my day go so much faster. I understand that this is business and what a customer wants, a customer gets. Handling problems in the most professional manner. Overall, McDonald's has taught me a lot within the 5 years of working there. I believe that there could be more possible changes to make it better but it has taught me a great deal of the real world.  less
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not good benefits, not a lot of help when it gets very busy, managers did not know how to direct crew.
Expects more from you but not from themselves.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Roosevelt, UTApril 15, 2012
It's not hard to get promoted within the McDonald's company, I was working there about a month and a half before I went from crew to Shift Supervisor. Skipped the crew trainer position completely. And with this new position I had more responsibilities, and was supposed to receive a dollar raise, not a substantial amount, but it's fast food. And every paycheck after my promotion I was told the same thing, "Your raise will be on your next paycheck."

After awhile I was told the district manager wanted me to go to training classes in the city, shortly thereafter I went on vacation that I had been planning on, while on vacation my car had problems so I told them the day before I was going to have to take a personal day and understood that I would get written up for not having my shift covered, as that was impossible since I had to have another manager cover my spot and we were already short handed on managers.

I get back to town the next day, go into work and not only was I written up but I was told I was "unreliable and irresponsible" and that my promotion to Floor Supervisor was going to be given to someone else. That I could wait until the next classes a few months down the road. And than, the aforementioned more responsible guy that was taking my spot walked out and quit on the spot, the manager all the sudden was completely understanding of my car problems and now wanted me to take the position.

I put my two weeks in, told them I was not interested because me not having enough money to have my car fixed at expeditionary speeds made me too unreliable for a management job in
  more... the McDonald's corporation.

Long story short: give your employee's a raise if you're going to promise it to them. Don't just lie in attempts to get a better worker out of them. As I saw they did with a number of the crew members. And you wonder why people never last there.
Pros
free lunches, good social environment, fast paced.
Cons
being lied to by your employers, no down time, 'hard' work and not enough pay.

Want to know more about McDonald's?

Ask a question
they were very unorganized
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 15, 2015
very un organized busniess. they fire people left an right expect the newest people to be able to withhold the positions that needed training well they will fire you if your a few weeks old and they will hire somone new then get on managment becuase things are always going rong and they cant say much due to the fact that the persson is new so they get away with messing up and sure enough they fire them and your have to go through it all over again .
co workers were very lazy and non responsible justanyone can take ur position if they want and you are absically stuck trying to ask the manager whta to do then they tell u off bcuase ur not at ur station then shure enough THEY END UP HAVING YOU DO SOMTHING THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PRIMARY JOB then they have about 8 managers and the head supervisor comes once a week and when you get used to all the managers the supersvisor goes bye the book so when your working infront of the supervisor it turns out their on the verge of firing you becuase she dosent understand why your not doing what she asssigned you well its becuase all the other managers dont keep into contact with her let alone tell her they gave another task that she is know asssuiming you take under your own consideration so she gets fed up next thing you know you walk in next clock in and they hand u a check and let u g. hoenstly 4ive never seen a buissness with so much management and if i at least did they were some what compatible and not only that managament in this job is so new your teaching them your job so they can get the understanding of it and
  more... then the new managegment instead of helpng the crew memebers end up acting like competetors for a position they soon think your going to take their job so they have u do somthing stupid in front of the supersviosor that with shure enough get you  less
Pros
nothing
Cons
evrything
Stressful, but fun place to work
Crew (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 3, 2013
I'm the back bone at my job McDonald's. I'm always willing to help others. For example jumping on the table to help make food, helping out with the grill during breakfast/lunch, also dropping fried products. There really isn't much i learned since bring there because, I have a grandfather that owns 8 McDonald's in ohio. So i was prepared before i even applied for my postiton. Management is half & half, some are lazy while other managers guide employees that's having a hard time cooking/making food in their work station. Some of my co-workers are an headache, they leave without their side work being done before clocking out. I don't mind because i'm use to sweeping & mopping floors, wiping down equipment, etc. But, we all are there to earn our paycheck and go home. The hardest part about working at the current store im at is, there is a lot of favoritism. For example, there an employee who's always on table and front counter. She'd been there about 3 years longer than i have but i'm still training her on table when i'm showing her things she should already know, plus she receives more hours than me which i also find unfair. Opening the store & bringing out breakfast/lunch is hard if you don't have a jacket , i'm not use to 4 degree walk-in freezer but i know i can get the job done. The most enjoyable part about my job is crew trainer discount. Every shift i get a free meal. I'm happy about my progress at McDonald's because i only been there 5 months and i already became employee of the month and also a crew trainer.
Pros
free meal per shirt, free drinks
Cons
hot kitchen, no hair-nets, non-motivated co-workers, poor o.t.p. technician, & making food while hungry
Great High School Job but not anything for graduates.
Crew Member/Crew Trainer/Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Placerville, CAOctober 21, 2013
A typical day at work here at McDonalds was very degrading and mentally challenging at times. Although it doesn't sound hard to be "flipping burgers," there was always the crew drama and the customers that were impatient and crude. My day at work was always different. I've worked every non-management position in the restaurant and got a non-raise promotion to do shipment inventory after two years of working there. Some typical days consisted of customer service, food preparation and assembly, and other things like stocking supplies and cleaning the restaurant.

I learned a lot here about being faced paced and able to adjust a situation to benefit the rest of the customers. E.g. Parking a customer in the drive thru with a big order so that the rest of the line can get their smaller orders and get out of the drive thru. I learned a lot about why restaurants like McDonalds always have different employees from time to time.

Management was okay. The managers I had always had drama to talk about or were on their phones and not doing things they should have. One especially was very rude to customers and used a lot of cursing in front of them. I was almost promoted to manager but I was in a Promotional Freeze and left my job.

My co-workers were good workers but I feel like I can honestly say that I was one of the hardest working at this job. I made sure that I was getting everything that needed to be done was being done and everything that was extra I made sure that it was done as well. I worked well with my co-workers and had an enjoyable experience with them all. We got along well
  more... but the only difference was the drive to work more and faster.

The hardest part of that job was doing all the 40 hour weeks and not feeling accomplished by the amount of money that came from that. I never got a raise working there because of Corporation and their tightness on money.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be a part of a team and work together to speedily get orders and customer satisfaction to the customers.
Pros
good first job with fast paced environment
Cons
advancement, raise, and benefits were non existent.
Productive, Fun & Stress
Number One Club- Management Department (Former Employee) –  North Babylon, NYNovember 18, 2015
Typical day at McDonald's would start as being in the drive thru (majority of times), couple hours would go by and I would be the runner for either drive thru, front counter, or grill area. Supervisor and/or director would pop in, check on the entire management team, store, crew to make sure everything was good. They would leave, it was a weight off our shoulders and then continue on with our shifts. My co-workers were definitely the best, considered ourselves one big family. We'd always help each other by improving one another in certain areas, we tried to be the nicest management team to the crew when it came to telling them what to do, how to do things in the easiest, fastest way. Our upper management wasn't bad, just could use some improvement on them being leaders to us and the crew. As a number one club member, I felt more responsible and reliable than the GM and certain assistant managers. It's always good to be a leader not a follower, but it was stressful to try and maintain a bunch of 16-18 year olds, when certain upper assistant managers would constantly have a phone in their hand and not take anything serious when it was extremely busy. That was definitely one of the most hardest things there. Another hard part was trying to get promoted to a shift/swing manager, no matter how hard I worked, they would promote others who were in the number one club shorter than me, before me. It was unfair, it hurt, it made me work harder, but it didn't get me up there to where I wanted to be. Most enjoyable part was walking in and the crew, crew trainers and management team saying  more... hello in the most fun, happiest way.  less
Pros
Free meal tickets, Customers compliments
Cons
Stopped every 6 months raises, Upper managements attitude
Mcdonalds life
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cocoa, FLJune 26, 2015
I would enter the store and as usual in Mcdonalds things didn't always go smoothly. Either way it was my job to come in balance and then "take over" the safe or assume responsibility for its contents. Then I began my duties depending upon the shift different things would need to happen at different times of the day. Morning shift I would do our food safety checklist at lunch changeover. Taking temperatures of food and making sure everything is being cooked to standard, and all items needed were in place and ready for lunch rush use. Afternoon shifts consisted of mainly managing the employee's and the labor and serving food as quickly and accurately as possible. Overnight shift had much more cleaning responsibility. The overnight manager cleaned the shake machine, the Mccafe machine, and the front lobby soda machine and ice maker. Also all overnight employee's must deep scrub their respective area's of the store prior to morning shift arriving. The manager also was responsible for preparing a Bank deposit bag for the 2nd and 3rd shifts revenue daily to be taken to the bank by said manager after work off duty. I learned that in a management role you can have friends but you must maintain your standards above anything else. I also learned that in management you must learn to deal well and communicate with many different individuals from many different backgrounds. I am very understanding and observant of people, so i get a feel for their personalities fairly easily. Which helps me to deal with them more effectively and communicate with them in a way they can grasp quickly while  more... still achieving the same goal or desired results.  less
Pros
Meeting many new fun people, and discounts on food and beverages.
Cons
Poor mid level management, working any shift throughout the week.
Great business running
Server (Former Employee) –  Easley, SCMarch 24, 2014
I usually worked 4 to 5 hours shifts 3 to 6 days a week. The days were different because some days I would be assigned to clean the lobby all day long, some days I ran register all day, and other days there were various stations I was asked to take throughout y shift. Making Tea, receiving payments at drive through, presenting orders in drive through, restocking areas, making mccafe drinks, those were other areas I moved around between.
I learned that this company, or at least the store I worked at, ran things very well, listened to their employees, and gave you opportunity for more hours or to switch shifts much easier than some other places I have worked with before. The training process was clear, and organized and you were trained by someone qualified in areas where the computer could only go so far.
The management was great, there was one that I didn't get along with amazingly, but working for them was still fine, and the manager that hired me was always amazing about whatever came up. And the managers get on shift and work their butts off right alongside you.
my coworkers were pretty cool, normal people, they sort of had their own cliques, which i have never fit into, but i made friends anyway.
the hardest part of the job was the customers treating the workers like dirt. anyone who works at the location i was at works their butts off, there is no standing around there, and no room for boredom or laziness, and for people to act like we are dumb or lazy irritated me on a daily basis.
The best part of the job was knowing that i was seen as a good worker because the managers
  more... would ask me if I could come in earlier or stay later, or move stations, or work on a day off.  less
A school job.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Racine, WIJune 25, 2013
McDonald's can teach someone many values that can be translated to various situations. No two days are alike, each day one faces a variety of challenges that can test you both physically, mentally and emotionally. Flexible shifts is about the only perk of working there, hence it makes for a good school job. Some of the hardest things about working there is how difficult it is for people to get fired. Once I got threatened by a coworker with a knife and they wouldn't even fire him for it! Another time, a new worker within his two weeks hit me with full force and, again, they did nothing about it. Some other difficulties or working at McDonald's include working in over 80 degree indoor temperature with an air conditioning unit not big enough to suit the area behind the counter where the workers are. I wish I could say more positive things about working at McDonald's. McDonald's is a very gossip based place where rumors are spread and encouraged while working hard is mocked and ridiculed. Over the years, the main thing that keeps one going during the work day is our regular customers. If it was not for them, and also the flexible shifts to suit a college schedule, I would not have put up with working there. The management is a bit of a laughing matter. The laziness is unreal! I often have to step in and take on the role of a manager especially during the night shifts since you are lucky if they are even in the building! It does get difficult working there when one is doing the work of five or more people while the person next to you cannot even tell their left from their right  more... hand. I am nearly a college graduate and need to get into a serious career where skills are required and encouraged.  less
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
little to no benefits, no school compensation, gossip based work environment
Gain Experience and Quit
Swing Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Blanc, MIFebruary 27, 2013
I've worked at my store for almost five years. I was promoted to management a little over two years ago.

A typical day, depending on the area you're trained for may include working a cash register, taking orders, assembling and presenting orders to customers, cleaning tasks, cooking food or assembling sandwiches, and almost certainly multi-tasking beyond what seems humanly possible.

As a manager I am almost always required to work in a position while runnig shift, which usually means doing fries or running for drive-thru while hearing my name called constantly to handle various issues. I also receive only one 15 minute break, whether I work 7 hours or 9 hours (a typical shift is 8-9 hours).

My biggest problem with McDonald's is that the owners of the franchise expect everyone to care deeply about the success of the restaurant. Meanwhile, to avoid having to provide health insurance for all employees, they have cut everyone back to 30 or less hours per week (with the exception of managers). You cannot treat people like they are worthless and expect them to work hard to make more money for you.

Also, and this just goes for the store where I work, we have changed store managers twice in two years and have lost 8 managers for reasons varying from low pay to complete disrespect and a whole slew of other things.

If you enjoy low pay, having people literally throw trash at you, and being condescended to on a daily basis, you're mentally unstable and this job is perfect for you.
Pros
great transferable experience, some awesome coworkers, flexible schedule
Cons
irregular hours, low pay, horrible benefits, unrealistic expectations, disrespectful management, exhausting work, customers, food.
Productive, fun, well-systemized, nice benefits, awesome boss
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Black River Falls, WIMay 26, 2014
A typical day at work: clocking in, finding where I work, working with customers or fries, a 32-minute break, working, sometimes switching stations, 10-minute break, work or sometimes cut from work. Clock out.
I learned drive-thru, front counter, patience!!!, and fries.
The managers often decide to make up their own rules, and then say "well, legally...". I would appreciate if they would follow what our boss says to do. The system would work if they would push buttons when they are supposed to, and not push them when it's not time yet. Same with the crew. My co-workers are friendly and awesome, but it gets hard if I don't have my ADHD medicine. They need to realize that some people can't be spoken to while taking orders. My boss is great, she knows that when I'm taking an order, she just waits a second for the customer to stop speaking. She is great at training people, and is my favorite person there.
The hardest part is working with conflicting personalities. Some people may make comments about customers that I don't agree with. Or the customers are cranky or put-offish. That's about it. Sometimes it gets stressful but otherwise, it's a very good system and I adore all my bosses and most managers.
The best part is getting to show that I really am easily trainable, and making people happy. I enjoy showing off, in other words. I can do these things, and so I enjoy doing them because it's easy for me. I like showing that I am not a quitter, but the best part is knowing people know it and enjoy that I so quickly adjusted to my environment.
I also enjoy getting to help other new
  more... people get used to the work environment. I'm really good on fries, and I find myself walking over there when I see that someone needs help, even if I'm on a different station (but only when I am not busy myself).  less
Pros
best boss ever :)
Cons
managers who don't follow the rules
McDonald's is not that much fun. I feel like I belong behind the desk
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2014
On a normal day, whenever it is not busy, I would clean my area, and make sure my condiments are filled in order to make sandwiches without going back and forth to get things. On busy days, there are major orders that need to be completely processed and ready for serving. Through seven years of working there, I have learned the disciplines of hard work and what it takes to get things done.

Although I was never promoted to manager, I have witnessed what they are capable of doing. For example, the general manager would supervised the entire store through the employee roster, and a supervisor would be "team leaders" so to speak. Some,but not all, workers can be quite motivating. After all, most of them are still in high schools. However, they don't do all of what they are told. In short, they are rude and ignorant to some extent.

I guess when you work at a fast food restaurant long enough, there isn't that much complicating thing that comes with the job. I am just good at multi-tasking.

I will be honest, I have not been as much motivated at McDonald's as I was when I started working back in August 28, 2006. Not because I was never promoted, but because the environment that I am in. I want to move on to a different and more comfortable environment for me. I am at Community College of Allegheny County for Business, so my years of experience under this discipline, I feel more motivated than ever before. I am getting my Associates Degree in Business in December 2014, then transfer to Duquesne University for Supply Chain Management. I need to build my credentials to be eligible for
  more... a more lucrative and more motivating world. In short, to make me happy  less
Pros
discounts through employee meals
Cons
breaks takes whatever amount from paycheck (probably $2 or $3)