McAlister's Deli Employee Reviews

Family friendly deli with banquet space available and outdoor setting
PM-GM manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 27, 2016
As a PM-GM at McAlister Deli a typical work day was to come in starting inspection of equipment non working equipment after a work day starts is terrible. We then began to bake our world class potatoes. Even though I was a night manger I did have a daytime house manager she was a challenge but I made it through to my own store. Hardest part of my job at McAlisters was having to take trash out at night before closing, the most enjoyable was my co-worker we had great team flow.
Pros
free food
Cons
filtering potential employees not so good
Wish for better management
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  KansasJanuary 6, 2017
I loved working here. They were extremely great about me going through a few things while working there. One manager even taught me techniques to reduce stress and anxiety. The only issue I had was when the GM changed. Got lied about and fired when trying to transfer for a short time. Talked in length with GM beforehand and showed up to other store to be told by their manager that I was considered no call, no show my last day (didn't happen).
Pros
Discount, coworkers, flexible hours
Cons
Bad general management, no breaks, no benefits
Okay Job w/ Okay Benefits
General Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCDecember 21, 2016
Mediocre job environment with mediocre pay. No real motivation as far as a bonus structure. The best part of my job honestly was serving guests and dealing with them on a day to day basis. Some of the limits set for controllable costs are unfeasible and unrealistic. Accountability is in all the wrong hands. Again the best part about the entire job is dealing with and serving guests every day and developing my staff!
Pros
Moderate Health Benefits, Minimal Paid Vacation Time, 401K, Growing Company
Cons
one weekend off per month, long shifts 10-13 hours. Poor upper management support. Horrible MIT Program.closed 3 days / year
Employees work hard to make it a fun atmosphere.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  North Myrtle Beach, SCDecember 17, 2016
I had a great 4 years with the deli. I learned more in those four years than i have in my whole life. My boss was the one who took the time to teach me all i needed to know to build my foundation to becoming the successful General manager that I was. i relocated to South Carolina and successfully ran a new McAlister's for over a year always hitting my budgets and almost always hitting our labor budgets. My team was #1 in customer satisfaction within our franchise for 6 months in a row. Now it is time for me to spread my wings and try new things.
Pros
fun atmosphere, 35% off for employees, managers eat free
Cons
no breaks, work hard and employees aren't paid enough
Everyday life at McAlister's Deli
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Creve Coeur, MO 63141December 10, 2016
When I clock in at work my co-workers and I try to lighten up the mood because we deal different customers everyday. Sometimes we get rude, impatient, happy, understanding, etc customers. My co-workers are the reason I like the job because they are like family at times. At McAlister's Deli they are always under staff and the managers makes us do more than what is in our job description. You have to make it fun because if you don't it won't be fun.
Good springboard to get business/food industry experience
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2017
Great place to hone your people skills.
Learn proper food handling procedures and protocols.
They hire only the best to manage and supervise so everyday goes by smoothly.
Hardest part is cleaning and remembering safety guidelines.
My favorite part of the day is when they have extra potatoes that got cooked but not served!!
Pros
discounted lunches and free tea!!
Cons
okay healthcare when I was there
Fun place to work with good food and good people
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KS 67209November 4, 2016
I really liked working at this deli. I wish that I had started here earlier on in life, because I'm sure I would have become a manager here. However, I started here while I was amidst my college days. The people here are very nice, and the management is very understanding of things.
The hardest part of this job is definitely the lunch rush, as it can be trying on some days. Things can get so crazy and hectic, and huge problems can arise (such as the computers going down), but everyone just keeps calm and carries on.
Fast paced environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 2, 2016
A typical day for a second shift worker consists of restocking supplies, lending a helping hand when needed during the dinner rush, and sterilizing the kitchen before closing. I learned how to work with multiple personalitiy types, how to communicate in a fast paced environment, and appropriate customer service skills. The hardest part about working at McAlister's was in a unstructured environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with other college students and meeting new people.
productive day
Cashier (Current Employee) –  1723 US-45 Columbus, MSNovember 8, 2016
Answered telephone calls and responded to inquiries.
Helped with preparation, set-up, and service for catering events
Filled beverage and ice dispensers
Inspected and cleaned food preparation areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices
Inspected restrooms for cleanliness and availability of supplies and cleaned restrooms when necessary
Kept dining room and kitchen area clean by performing cleaning and laundry duties
Prepared food items
Prepared daily food items, and cooked simple foods and beverages
Swept and scrubbed floors
Trained new employees
Took food orders and relayed orders to kitchens or serving counters
Managed guest checks, collected cash and processed credit cards
Provided excellent customer service
Friendly coworkers and minimal stress
FOH Staff (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 8, 2016
Serving, running, bussing, customer care with a smile.
Minimal training, was fairly well pre qualified for this job.
Management is functional and consistent.
Coworkers are very friendly happy people.
Standing and running around all shift.
The co workers, and the regulars that come in.
Pros
Employee discount, nice managers, nice customers
Cons
odd hours, lots of running, minimum wage
Enjoyable and Professional
Front/Back of the House Employee (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 24, 2016
I've worked in this fast-casual restaurant for about two years now and picked up many skills such as quality customer service, problem solving, and quick thinking. I have gotten along with all my fellow employees and thoroughly enjoy working with each and every one of them due to the fact we get along so well. The managers are very relatable and understanding to anyone's situation. It's the type of job you learn as you go and will quickly catch onto. I enjoy working at McAlister's Deli and providing my top notch services to our customers.
Very fast pase resturant great people to work with
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  2400 lime kiln lnOctober 20, 2016
Working 6days a week between 9-12 hrs a day is very time consuming especially when you have kids. They want you to work whenever they need you and you have NO TIME at all to yourself get get your outside life n order or with your kids and for 9.00 an hour working that much along with the fast pase work that we do it should really be more in my personal opinion but you do get your hours and most of the people are great CO. Workers.
Pros
Kids eat free thru out the week, You can get your 40 hours a week
Cons
Emplyees have to pay for there luch, NO TIME for outside life
Not sure why my manager took one day away from me and I don't know why
Kitchen Prep (Current Employee) –  Signal Mountain, TNOctober 27, 2016
I know I had the job before I moved down you here to Chattanooga from Knoxville. I was excited when I got the job. And I couldn't wait to start. Now with working only one day a week. It really doesn't seem llike the same going into work anymore. Cause of the only one day I guess I've started to hate going in and only getting paid for only 14-16 hrs every two weeks.
Working at McAlister's Deli
Cashier/ Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 5, 2016
One of the best job I had while working with food. Good management beside one that was really mean when frustrated . Hands-on training. My co-workers was super nice. A typical day at work was really easy. The hardest part of the job was on Sundays and the weekend in general . It would be super busy and short staffed. If we did a really good job management would reward us with cookies, food, or something to drink. We had mandatory meetings to improve things we needed to work on. I learned a lot about different sandwiches.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
low pay
hectic but easy job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 10, 2017
As a cashier/server, it was pretty simple. The hardest part about the job is learning the computer and where all the foods are. I worked there for 2 years and knew the store from top to bottom. I would come in and make sure the front of the store was ready to go for my shift. As long as you have a smile on your face and you don't stress out, you will be just fine!
Fun Part Time Job
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKDecember 5, 2016
McAlisters is a fun interactive job for an employee who likes to be kept on their toes. The busy environment allowed for work to always be available and managers were always flexible with hours. Fun relationships were developed here and the work is relatively easy once you are used to the environment.
Comfortable uniform and nice managers.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 30, 2016
Mcalisters deli was an awesome workplace, just not for me. Would best fit someone who is looking for a first job. The managers were very laid back and nonchalant about everything. My co-workers were a little weird and i felt as if i didn't fit in. Hardest part of the job was keeping the dining room clean because of how busy it would get. The most enjoyable part of the job was have a good relationship with the managers.
Good work environment
Cashier/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Irmo, SCNovember 6, 2016
McAlisters had a great staff, everyone was helping and friendly when I got there. I was the youngest person working there (16) but did equal work as all of my coworkers. I got to school, and McAlisters managers held staff meetings till about 1 am, without pay, I did not like that.
Pros
70 percent off food
Cons
short shifts
It's Alright
Cashier, Food Runner, Dish, kitchen (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 9, 2017
I have worked there for almost a year and it really hasn't been too bad. I like the GM definitely! Some of the mangers don't know how to work the kitchen so sometime we get screwed over but honestly I don't know any other place I would want to work!
Pros
Discount, friendly coworkers
Cons
Some mangement
Productive/ Fun workplace
Cashier/ Server (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74133August 24, 2016
Typical Day: insanely busy from 11-2, then it picks up again from 6-9.
Learned: to not take customer complaints to heart.
Management: All of the managers were very nice for the most part. There were moments of disagreement, but never any hard feelings.
Co-workers: Many of the people there didn't last long, either from quitting or from being no call/ no shows. some of them were hard workers though.
Hardest part: Waking up in the mornings to open! And closing at night. Closing was a one person job. one person to close the whole dining area, it took about an hour and a half to close by myself.
Enjoyable part: being the fastest and most effecient cashier at the front counter.
Pros
free meals for working picking up shifts
Cons
customers love to complain there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McAlister's Deli. Our community is ready to answer.