McAlister's Deli Employee Reviews in United States

Laid back fun enviroment not fast paced enjoyable plenty hours and help friendly people and co-workers
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Canton, MSMay 22, 2016
come in early before other employees and prep salad meats shrip breads soups and salads for the work day wash dishes take out trash weigh meats and clean store and work area, management was real laid back even let me listen to music and answer phone calls throughout shift co workers where cool and laid back honestly one of the best jobs i had would work for them again
Pros
allowed to listen to music and talk on phone while working
Cons
minimum wages
woreking in kitchen
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 19, 2016
prep food in the morning, work line after prep is done, not many days to work maybe 3 or 4. You dont get a break even tho you might work an 8 hour shift.
Learned a LOT!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 16, 2016
While working with McAlister's Deli, I learned a lot about what it takes to run a business. Even though each store is part of a franchise group (specifically The Saxton Group in this case), they each manage everything individually (purchasing, invoicing, staffing and training, budgeting, etc.).
Eating/drinking atmosphere
Cashier/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Magee, MSMay 14, 2016
Poor management and unstable hours. Non-trustworthy. In order to learn a new career, I regret that I worked in such environment; although, I was a hard worker and didn't deserve to be placed on call.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
much turnover within
Fun environment, easy job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 13, 2016
They always worked with my schedule when I needed them to. Could be frustrating at times, but that just comes with working with food. But there is typically good morale with the employees
Typical Life of the Deli
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Flowood, MSMay 12, 2016
A typical day is greeting people with kindness and meeting new people all around. By meeting new people I got to see things that they liked to eat that use to be on the menus that is no longer on there be brought back just for the satisfaction of the guest. The management is very calm, with everyone getting along and having the managers help the employees to satisfy the guest needs. As far as co-workers in McAlister's, it is very hard to not to communicate with any of the employees, in order for a business to run all employees need to communicate to get through what goes where and what is needing to be done to make a guest experience miraculous, and that may just be something that makes the job hard is trying to figure what is the best way to satisfy the guest needs without seeming like you are being rude to that guest but more you are trying to make there service like it is a home and you would not want to be treated rude to anyone in that household. Last but not least the the most enjoyable thing about the job is one getting to meet new friends that may be your friends the rest of your life as well as making the guest feel as if they would trust you with their lives if it came down to it, by making sure that their food is cooked just the way they wanted it or if it is the right temperature that they wanted. All these are factors that happen is a typical day at work and it gives you the ability to learn something out of that day.
Pros
Working from time walk-in to time walk-out, Meeting the nicest people
Cons
No breaks, Working from time walk-in to time walk-out
na
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clinton, MSMay 10, 2016
A typical day of work was just like any other restraraunt job I have experienced. Didn't like the customers too much, though,
My experience
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 9, 2016
Most of the coworkers are kids whom are lazy. The management could be a lot better. My typical day revolves around me with chopping veggies and cooking them. Or cutting meat. After I am done I leave. I never get asked to stay over on the days I can work extra hours.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks, not paid enough for what is done
Great Part Time Job
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 9, 2016
Great job culture, very supportive yet fast paced and high standards. Learned proper food safety and honed my skills in the kitchen.
Pros
Supportive staff, Consistant quality
Cons
Short notice on scheduale changes.
Friendly enviornment
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, TXMay 7, 2016
At McAlister's Deli I would work from 8-5 Mon-Fri.
-I learned how to use aloha manager and learned how to count my drawer and put it into the system.
-My co-worker and I worked at a different location, but it was still a branch of McAlister's.
-I learned to be my own manager since it was just the 2 of us. So I had to manage money, sales, and customer satisfaction.
-As far as management, it could use improvement.
-My favorite part of working with McAlister's was the customers. They would always bring a smile to my face.
Pros
Free lunches, weekends off.
Cons
Minimuim pay for a job that required a lot of manual labor
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Searcy, ARApril 29, 2016
decent part time job. enjoy the environment and people I work with. consistant hours if you work hard. high turn over rate though
fun but yet hard working
Sever/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 28, 2016
a typical day at the deli includes lots of movement if you can just stand around doing nothing then you can be out in the dinning room helping a guest, yes we do have lunch/dinner rushes but thats when team work comes in and work together as a team, were always helping each other rather its taking out food/ making orders or if we really just need someone to talk too, the management is seriously the best that i have ever worked with, the most enjoyable part about my job is knowing i made someones visit a good one with just the smile on their face, its a good learning experience.
Pros
a good successful work day
Cons
rude guests
I advise not to apply here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKApril 26, 2016
It started out as a great opportunity being my first job but as the months went by so did my positive thoughts on the job. Management is down right horrible from deleting my shifts without me knowing to disrespectfulness when dealing with issues with the customers.
n/a
Cook (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 25, 2016
Its a very fast paced environment. The staff is friendly. A typical work day i prepare sandwiches. The most enjoyable part of working here is the managers.
Welcoming and, educational, and productive for a first job.
Server/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 23, 2016
Tending to customer needs - insuring they leave having had a positive experience while handling small scale logistics behind the counter. Typical restaurant affairs, however the unique niche we fit in of being neither sit-down or fast food provides an energetic, but consistent experience.

I was able to greatly improve social skills and task delegation while working here.

Management almost always friendly and supportive. All managers showed extremely high work ethic. Though training is actually sparce.

Co-Workers were mostly highschool students with little to no work ethic or desire to improve. Full time staff was competent and pleasant to be around.

The most challenging times are whenever we end up falling behind and every employee is dragged down by the effort to catch back up.

The best times are when we are able to successfully overcome a problem or handle a difficult situation in a way that exceeds customer expectation. It always provides a great morale boost.
Pros
Plentiful hours and easy to adjust schedule, mostly appreciative and friendly staff
Cons
Little room for advancement, some unprofessional staff
McAlister's Deli
Server (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 20, 2016
A typical work day at McAlister's started by greeting customers and keeping the restaurant neat and tidy. The most enjoyable part about this job was the customers. The customers would make the environment alive while talking with children and their parents it really gave me a more home-like feeling, rather than work place.
Pros
Flexibility
Very Little Care for Employees
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 17, 2016
I worked at McAlister's Deli for over a year. I managed over that year to be promoted to shift leader of the front of house staff. With that in mind, I want you to understand that this is in no way written because of a bad experience or resentment I hold against McAlister's. This is written to inform you of the truth.

The McAlister's franchise I worked under, Southern Rock (Missouri, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi), was by far the worst work treatment I have ever experienced. Not only experienced personally, but I witnessed it with so many of my fellow employees. The franchise had such terrible turnover rates and did absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Bad pay, no benefits, openly acknowledges little care for employees. My job was threatened personally by my general manager three times for speaking out against one of the shift managers treatment of my fellow workers. As a shift leader, I was told that every single employee is replaceable and that if I couldn't get over the mistreatment and harassment, I would be replaced. In my last week of working and the first of my two week notice, we had 8 people quit, mostly in part to the mistreatment by management. IT IS A TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK. After informing my general about my two weeks, whom I had come to form what I thought to be a very good relationship, he proceeded to remove me from the schedule and end my employment right there. After proceeding to tell him I need those hours and was counting on them until I could start the job I had just received the following week, he told me he didn't want to do that. I had worked
  more... over a year for the company and did nothing but work my hardest and that is how my very last week ever at McAlister's went.

On top of that all, they push a very high labor standard (meaning all they care about it money) so you will have very small shifts. Most are scheduled at three hour shifts and you will almost always go home early. Most nights are understaffed and busy. The franchise, Southern Rock, does not care about its employees and would do nothing if a complaint were to be made except threaten its employees. They care solely about minimizing employee profit and maximizing company profit.

I loved everyone I met and I loved the year I spent, but ultimately I would not recommend this franchise to someone (I can't speak for other franchises but would only hope they invest more into their employees.) This job offers low pay with no benefits, a poor 30% discount, and terrible shift lengths. Avoid Southern Rock McAlister's at all costs!
Pros
Awesome Flexibility
Cons
Pay, Benefits, Management, Incentives, Hours, Enviroment
Good Part-Time Job For College Student
Part-time Employee (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAApril 15, 2016
A typical day at work consists of making salads, sandwiches, and spuds for the customers. I learned a lot about the fast food industry and how to work quick on my feet.
I enjoyed the opportunity that Mcalister's provided me
Cashier/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work was routine. I assisted customers with concerns and bus/wait tables. Mainly what I learned is that the customer is always right. Management was very open to new ideas to make things run smoothly. My co-workers was also willing to work together to make our shift run smoothly. The hardest part of job was when the customer was not satisfied.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
parttime hours
productive workplace but poor hours
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 11, 2016
Productive workplace , learned a large amount and enjoyed my time there meeting various people but the hours were poor.