McAlister's Deli Employee Reviews in United States

Hard work and Guest service
PM General Manager (Current Employee) –  Corinth, MSJanuary 24, 2016
My day usually begins by opening the store by getting the establishment ready for business. I then enter invoices for the day. After lunch, I count registers and watch labor. I have learned how to supervise employees, control labor, schedule employees based on sales, count inventory, and increase sales. I have received bonuses for my management accomplishments such as increased sales and guest scores. My coworkers are very important and help the store to run smoothly. We are a team. The hardest part of my job is being sure to be efficient while making sure myself and crew are being effective. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to serve all guests to make sure they are happy. I love to accomplish things and work hard.
Pros
Free meals, ability to make my own schedule, great boss
Cons
Low pay compared to work, no vacation, odd hours
Not a great work culture
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCSeptember 13, 2015
Benefits are there, but are not outstanding (poor healthcare). There is a bonus structure offered to all store managers. Hours are regular restaurant management hours, however, most of you life will be spent working.
Advancement opportunities within the franchise beyond in store management are slim to none. Culture on a store level seems to be hit or miss depending on which store you go to and what management teams are built Some friction seems to exist between store managers and upper management due to a lack of communication from top to bottom.
Not the best job i've ever had. Worth looking elsewhere for now.
Pros
Benefits, Bonus structure
Cons
Healthcare benefits, long hours, poor culture
Hands down best place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 2, 2016
Your salary isn't great. Just alittle something part time to get you by but the management was amazing. I still talk to them often. They would hire you back in a heart beat if you were a good worker. Only stressful part is running alot of food to tables and making sure the customers were satisfied but thats basically anywhere. Loved it here. Would go back if pay was better.
Pros
environment, management
Cons
pay
Good work environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMarch 28, 2016
I enjoyed working for McAlister's Deli wonderful coworkers and management great benefits and work environment. I learned to interact with customers and give great customer service I became a trainer and helped with new employees.
A great place work
Server/Cashier -Took (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALJuly 30, 2015
A great, fun, and energetic place to work. You get the hours you deserve based on your performance. The environment is positive and fast-paced. You have the opportunity to advance and further your career, work experience and get pay raises. Management was the best I ever experienced in my life. They are understanding and will do what it takes to help you become better before they let you go or what not but they don't put up with goofing off on the job, missing work or anything of that nature. It felt like a true family. It was my escape from the stresses of life in general. I do not work there anymore... I wish I did. I miss it so much.
Pros
Positive environment, great management and being able to advance.
Cons
A lot of work to do, employees come and go and they will not re-hire..unfortunately.
Poor Management and Little Hours
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 15, 2016
Would not recommend as a place of employment. Management cares very little for their employees. No job advancement even for people who have been employed there for many years. Horrible co-workers.
Pay was decent.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Busy, productive, and easy workplace.
Cashier/hostess (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, SCMarch 18, 2016
A typical day at work is very busy between 12 and 2 o'clock p.m I'm constantly jumping between greeting customers, to cash register, to taking out food, and cleaning and sanitizing tables and items. I have learned great customer service, dealing with money, and how to work in fast-paced environments. My management is very considering and takes their employees very seriously and listen to our every needs. My co-workers are nice and we all work well with each other to reach the goal that our managers expect for us that day. The most enjoyable part of my job is chatting with regular customers, meeting new people, and seeing new faces.
Overall Good experience
Head Cook (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 21, 2016
A typical work day consist of cleaning, dishes, preparation and stock. I have learned some responsibility by having to count stock for truck shipment and i have also learn respect for my fellow co-workers. management could use some improvement because half of the people there dont understand what it takes to be a manager. Co-workers are great, they are all friendly and very reasonable with everybody that they deal or work with. The hardest part of the job is getting to and from the job making only $8.00 and hour. The most Enjoyable would be the work environment. Everybody there is just fun, hard working and enjoyable.
Pros
Good job for someone still i college needing money.
Cons
get sent home early if labor percentage is too high.
2 years of working, still employed.
CATERING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 2, 2016
Typical Day: Work 12-close(9 pm), you will not get these hours upon first hired.
What I learned: Hard work really does pay off.
Management: At my store, they DO have flaws but they do their job better than other managers.
Coworkers: Super chill and fun to be around.
Hardest part of the job: Unmotivated coworkers.
Most enjoyable: uhh....the paycheck? I got nothin.
Pros
Short Shifts, Easy money, friendly coworkers.
Cons
It's a college job, you can't live off it unless you're management.
Very productive and most of the time fun.
Kitchen Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MSDecember 15, 2015
Work days were typically very busy, but there were always enough employees working to make the shift run smoothly.
The manager would always go out of her way to make sure the staff was taken care of.
Some management staff, however, did not get along well with the staff. There were at least 4 shift managers, two of which that did not see eye to eye and it created conflict in the work place.
The hardest part about the job was keeping up, especially on the annual Free Tea Day, when sales reached more than $5,000.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when the GM surprised the staff with treats, such as pizza, candy, etc.
Pros
Good pay, good hours, good staff.
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts, tough management.
Always busy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I served many customers, cleaned and answered calls. Spent many hours washing dishes, had to stay overtime. Management was nice at lunch, in the evenings, manager was unhelpful and rude, rarely helped. Coworkers were very nice and helpful, communicated a lot about responsibilities and customers needs. Hardest part of the job was no breaks and lunch hour, balancing cleanliness and efficiency. Most enjoyable part was cleaning main areas and communicating with customers.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks, healthcare only after working a year, no training
Fast Paced
Front of House (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKDecember 29, 2015
Taking orders, serving customers, and cleaning. Management was great but some could learn how to speak to their employees. Co-workers were pretty nice and fast.
Pros
discount, great food
Cons
quantity of food for your money, paid time off, no benefits
Fast-paced environment with family
Front of House and Back of House Employee (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MODecember 16, 2015
McAlister's Deli is a busy restaurant. A mix between Panera and Jason's Deli, it has Southern-style food and everyone wears a smile.
Pros
50% off food, good pay raises
Cons
Extremely busy at times, a lot to learn at first
Not enough pay, nice place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 3, 2016
Honestly, I quite like working there. My managers are pretty awesome, and the core employees are really good. It's hard to keep quality staff when they pay so little, however. The ones who are really worth something find better jobs and we're left with the ones who try and skate by doing as little as possible. The managers work way harder than they get paid to do. It's great to work with managers who actually know how to do your job and do it well. The core is very supportive of one another. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the rotating staff and the self-entitled customers who want everything for free with complete disregard that we have a business to run. The most surprising thing is the district and regional managers. When we were with another franchise, they were so rude and looked down on everyone. This franchise that bought us, however, they are really cool. They actually work when they're there, they see how we run as a team, and actually remember our names. They treat us as people! We don't panic when we know they're coming because we know they are here to help. They offer constructive criticism and suggestions without making us feel like peons.
Pros
70% employee discount, good coworkers, good management
Cons
low pay
Productive work place
WAITRESS/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Sunset Blvd Lexington SCJuly 28, 2015
My typical day at work I open the store and prepare for the day. In my preparation I count the cash drawers for the day making sure they have the current amount to start the day. My co workers worked together with the shift leader (myself) to get through a successful rush; where the management assisted also. The hardest part of my job is having to do others jobs for them as well as mine, being short staff makes my job exhausting. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with people. Even through bad occurrences I still enjoy working with people because it is an opportunity to learn how to help people more so.
Pros
steady hours, one weekday off
Cons
even with long hours no breaks
Great entry level job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 20, 2015
I enjoyed my first few years but as i needed to advance the opportunities weren't available. Smaller company where advancement currently required to move out of state. Learned a great deal about profit and loss, food cost, how to handle any an all guest service situations.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
compensation, hours, advancement
Stressful
BOH worker/cook, clean (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSJanuary 11, 2016
Typical day was pretty stressful. I learned communication skills, team work, and customer satisfaction. Management before I became shift leader seemed to be control hungry. Co-workers were very lazy. The hardest part of this job was manager being rude. Most enjoyable part was dealing with the customers.
Fun environment and decent wages
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Cullowhee, NCMarch 24, 2016
I like this job because the schedule in manageable while being a student and the environment in fun yet productive. The staff are understanding of sudden changes given proper notification and the wages are above minimum which benefits the students.
Mcalister's Deli - Shift Leader
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJune 29, 2015
A typical day at work would consist of opening, operating, and closing the deli in Statesboro. While working at Mcalister's I learned the proper procedures of basic line cook duties. Also receiving trucks with product to be placed in coolers for prep work. Management was experienced, and easy to work with. Created a culture that made the deli a comfortable environment. My co-workers were very easy to communicate and work alongside. I was a shift leader so I was placed in a leadership role and my co-workers respected that. The most difficult part of the job were the heavy rushes we would get from people visiting the nearby university. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I was able to build.
Great Food, fast service
F.O.H./B.O.H. (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COApril 5, 2016
-Never a dull moment
-Learned B.O.H.
-Good Management if you wanted work for a drama queen
- All coworkers got along fairly well
- Dealing with unnecessary stress from management
- Doing what I know best and doing it well
Pros
Learning B.O.H.
Cons
Short hours, rude management, no tips