McAlister's Deli Employee Reviews in United States

Laid back fun enviroment not fast paced enjoyable plenty hours and help friendly people and co-workers
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Canton, MSMay 22, 2016
come in early before other employees and prep salad meats shrip breads soups and salads for the work day wash dishes take out trash weigh meats and clean store and work area, management was real laid back even let me listen to music and answer phone calls throughout shift co workers where cool and laid back honestly one of the best jobs i had would work for them again
Pros
allowed to listen to music and talk on phone while working
Cons
minimum wages
Friendly enviornment
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, TXMay 7, 2016
At McAlister's Deli I would work from 8-5 Mon-Fri.
-I learned how to use aloha manager and learned how to count my drawer and put it into the system.
-My co-worker and I worked at a different location, but it was still a branch of McAlister's.
-I learned to be my own manager since it was just the 2 of us. So I had to manage money, sales, and customer satisfaction.
-As far as management, it could use improvement.
-My favorite part of working with McAlister's was the customers. They would always bring a smile to my face.
Pros
Free lunches, weekends off.
Cons
Minimuim pay for a job that required a lot of manual labor
fun but yet hard working
Sever/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 28, 2016
a typical day at the deli includes lots of movement if you can just stand around doing nothing then you can be out in the dinning room helping a guest, yes we do have lunch/dinner rushes but thats when team work comes in and work together as a team, were always helping each other rather its taking out food/ making orders or if we really just need someone to talk too, the management is seriously the best that i have ever worked with, the most enjoyable part about my job is knowing i made someones visit a good one with just the smile on their face, its a good learning experience.
Pros
a good successful work day
Cons
rude guests
I enjoyed the opportunity that Mcalister's provided me
Cashier/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 12, 2016
A typical day at work was routine. I assisted customers with concerns and bus/wait tables. Mainly what I learned is that the customer is always right. Management was very open to new ideas to make things run smoothly. My co-workers was also willing to work together to make our shift run smoothly. The hardest part of job was when the customer was not satisfied.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
parttime hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 3, 2016
A typical day at work is cleaning tables, taking food to customers, taking customers orders and money, cleaning dishes, and restocking any food needed to be restocked.

I have learned to not be shy and make sure to speak up when talking to customers.

My managers were amazing. They really took notice to their employees and when someone looked like they are having a bad day they make sure to talk to them and see if there is anything they can do to help their day get better.

My co-workers were good. We all made sure everyone was doing what we needed to do and made sure all the assignments were split up evenly so one employee isn't doing more than the other.

The hardest part of the job was trying to do everything that you needed to do quick but orderly.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great group of people.
I loved working here
Manager, Cashier and Server (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 8, 2016
I loved working here so much. They were my family for years, my work family was even close with my real family!! They were great with compensation, time off, personal time, everything. Honestly not one bad thing. I only left this position because after so long in management, I wanted to pursue something where I could be home before 11pm.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours
Hands down best place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 2, 2016
Your salary isn't great. Just alittle something part time to get you by but the management was amazing. I still talk to them often. They would hire you back in a heart beat if you were a good worker. Only stressful part is running alot of food to tables and making sure the customers were satisfied but thats basically anywhere. Loved it here. Would go back if pay was better.
Pros
environment, management
Cons
pay
Busy, productive, and easy workplace.
Cashier/hostess (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, SCMarch 18, 2016
A typical day at work is very busy between 12 and 2 o'clock p.m I'm constantly jumping between greeting customers, to cash register, to taking out food, and cleaning and sanitizing tables and items. I have learned great customer service, dealing with money, and how to work in fast-paced environments. My management is very considering and takes their employees very seriously and listen to our every needs. My co-workers are nice and we all work well with each other to reach the goal that our managers expect for us that day. The most enjoyable part of my job is chatting with regular customers, meeting new people, and seeing new faces.
Drama full stressful place to work
Cashier, server, cook (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 23, 2016
Youre lucky to get 15-20 hours bi-weekly. Theyll promise full time but never give you hours. Worked two hour shifts three days a week. Poor management. Run by a bunch of immature 20-25 year olds. It cost more money to get to work than i got out of it. Kept hiring new people even though they "didnt have the budget to give their employees more hours"
Very Productive Place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 5, 2016
I would start my day by counting my register and making sure it had the correct amount of money in it. Then I would start taking the customers orders. If it was a slow day I would wipe down tables with sanitary water. I feel like I learned a lot about customer service and how to handle the bad situations. The most thing that I miss about working at McAlister's were my co-workers, I formed friendships with everyone, some I still talk to today, they had some amazing workers there, including myself, that I don't think were appreciated enough sometimes by one of the managers. My other 3 mangers were great people and it showed in their work. I don't think there was ever anything hard about my time there, except the event they have once a year, that was stressful. The best thing about working there were my co-workers.
Pros
Co-workers and customers
Cons
2 years of working, still employed.
CATERING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 2, 2016
Typical Day: Work 12-close(9 pm), you will not get these hours upon first hired.
What I learned: Hard work really does pay off.
Management: At my store, they DO have flaws but they do their job better than other managers.
Coworkers: Super chill and fun to be around.
Hardest part of the job: Unmotivated coworkers.
Most enjoyable: uhh....the paycheck? I got nothin.
Pros
Short Shifts, Easy money, friendly coworkers.
Cons
It's a college job, you can't live off it unless you're management.
McAlister's Deli
Server (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 20, 2016
A typical work day at McAlister's started by greeting customers and keeping the restaurant neat and tidy. The most enjoyable part about this job was the customers. The customers would make the environment alive while talking with children and their parents it really gave me a more home-like feeling, rather than work place.
Pros
Flexibility
Good place to start out
Server/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 2, 2016
While working here I learned essential skills that I use everyday. Employees are able to request days off and request to work via and app or online, and can trade shifts among each other. If you want to work here you must be fast on your feet and have excellent customer service skills.
Cons
You can't accept tips
My experience
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 9, 2016
Most of the coworkers are kids whom are lazy. The management could be a lot better. My typical day revolves around me with chopping veggies and cooking them. Or cutting meat. After I am done I leave. I never get asked to stay over on the days I can work extra hours.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks, not paid enough for what is done
Always busy
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I served many customers, cleaned and answered calls. Spent many hours washing dishes, had to stay overtime. Management was nice at lunch, in the evenings, manager was unhelpful and rude, rarely helped. Coworkers were very nice and helpful, communicated a lot about responsibilities and customers needs. Hardest part of the job was no breaks and lunch hour, balancing cleanliness and efficiency. Most enjoyable part was cleaning main areas and communicating with customers.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
No breaks, healthcare only after working a year, no training
Learned a LOT!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 16, 2016
While working with McAlister's Deli, I learned a lot about what it takes to run a business. Even though each store is part of a franchise group (specifically The Saxton Group in this case), they each manage everything individually (purchasing, invoicing, staffing and training, budgeting, etc.).
Overall Good experience
Head Cook (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOJanuary 21, 2016
A typical work day consist of cleaning, dishes, preparation and stock. I have learned some responsibility by having to count stock for truck shipment and i have also learn respect for my fellow co-workers. management could use some improvement because half of the people there dont understand what it takes to be a manager. Co-workers are great, they are all friendly and very reasonable with everybody that they deal or work with. The hardest part of the job is getting to and from the job making only $8.00 and hour. The most Enjoyable would be the work environment. Everybody there is just fun, hard working and enjoyable.
Pros
Good job for someone still i college needing money.
Cons
get sent home early if labor percentage is too high.
Fun when the general manager isnt there
Guest Service (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJune 8, 2016
The averages managers that work there are nice but the general manager is power hungry that loves to single out people and destroy their work life by making them feel terrible about themselves
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
No breaks, constant verbal abuse
Alright Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 14, 2016
A typical day at work varies depending on the position, but there is almost always something that needs to be done, so employees aren't just standing around. It is characterized by heavy lunch rushes and moderate-to-light dinner rushes, and the time in between is spent catching up on cleaning and restocking. Management is not terrible, but the general manager seems to receive a disproportionately large number of vacations compared to the rest of the salary management. Cooks receive less consideration than the rest of the staff, taking the blame for food costs incurred by customers who were not properly taken care of at the register and having a generally smaller pool of available employees. After 5 years, the hardest part of the job was the monotony, but the job as a whole was convenient for my schedule. The most enjoyable part happened to be the camaraderie displayed by the employees; everyone was in more-or-less good spirits at work.
I advise not to apply here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKApril 26, 2016
It started out as a great opportunity being my first job but as the months went by so did my positive thoughts on the job. Management is down right horrible from deleting my shifts without me knowing to disrespectfulness when dealing with issues with the customers.