McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

High volume fine dining experience with great customer satisfaction
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2016
The most difficult part of this position was maintaining our qualified well trained staff. We had a large turnaround because hours were being cut to meet the demands of weekly labor cost.
Daily decisions were based around food and labor cost, trying to stay within our numbers.
Pros
Benefit package
Cons
long hours and high turnovers in management
very organized, clean, structured, great co-workers
Restaurant Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJune 10, 2016
I opened this restaurant. It had one of the best training programs I've ever been a part of. I loved the people I worked with & made quite a bit of money.
Pros
great benefits & training, knowledge based sales standards
Cons
good management left often
Wonderful fine dining atmosphere to work
Fine Dining Hostess (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
I work for a fine dining restaurant called McCormick and Schmick's. I usually work double shifts because I enjoy full days with customer contact, and what I earn depends on my great attitude and my willingness to provide exceptional customer service. My management team is very supportive, and they have told me many times what an asset I am to the fine dining experience. I work with a diverse team, and we all work together making sure there is a flow about our service. If something goes awry, we all pick up where someone may need us, and this helps us all to know we can rely on each other. I really can't say there is a hard part to my job because I chose the service industry for a reason. I love working with the public, and I excel at interpersonal relations. Empathy drives any business, and it is important to make everyone feel as if they are the only ones in the room. I thrive on feedback, and so enjoy knowing I make a difference to someone every day. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting so many different people from all walks of life, and I know they enjoy meeting me as well.
Pros
Food and beverage discounts, fun team to work with
Cons
Wish we had benefits
did not have a good experience
Lead Hostess (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 9, 2016
a typical day at work was cleaning the front windows and doors, taking reservations, and looking nice. I learned a lot about the computer system, but my experience with co-workers and management was not too great.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
co-workers and management
Wonderful place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHFebruary 5, 2016
Working here has been great for me because I love seeing and talking with people. I learned how to be better at handling conflict and handle many tasks given to me at the same time. I love the atmosphere there and all the people are great.
Pros
50% off food
Corporate environment, overall a good job
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Great team, managers worked well together. Good food program. Our happy hour was a big hit for the guests. I was In charge of the bar. Scheduling, ordering and liquor cost.
Pros
I could walk to work
educational
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 19, 2016
Learned a lot from laundry's, they taught you to be independent and to run the business as your own. They were demanding but it taught you the inside and out of the business.
Great Seafood Menu
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CANovember 3, 2015
The management team was great to work with from top to bottom. I was able and needed to bring in a new upgraded kitchen staff to improve productivity and sales
Pros
It was a pleasure to work with upper and instore management
Cons
Condition of the operation when I arrived
Great seafood
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 6, 2015
Wonderful fun environment. Opened this location from ground up. Was involved in training several employees. Worked all stations and prep.
I work there for the income
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 3, 2015
I go to work, I work, and then I go home without work on my mind. I enjoy some parts of the job, while the other parts irritate me. Parts of management are great, while the other parts are the opposite. I work there because the income is good, and on my days off, the place doesn't cross my mind.
Pros
Discount program
Cons
LSC program
Great money, Poor management
Server (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 20, 2015
I enjoyed the reward of money, did not like the way management ran the floor. Not welcoming to employees, no encouragement that is consistent. I enjoyed the people I worked with and gained some valued friends. I learned quite a bit about marketing and upselling. The hardest part of working there was making sure I hit all the key points in the steps of service. It was unlikely that I hit all of them the way I was supposed to. Takes a lot of talking that I found annoyed the guests more than it helped my tips. What I miss from this job is the slower pace and the better clients. They may have high expectations but they are great to serve.
Pros
Higher clientele, great money
Cons
Bad location, inconsistent management
Not a bad serving job
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMay 14, 2015
The people are good, the management is pretty good, although there is a revolving door of general managers, so who knows next year? Its a serving job, but its not so upscale to pretentious and not so down as to be like a Denny's. They are good about working with your schedule, though, which is nice if you have a busy life or a second job, which many of the staff do.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Constantly Changing Standards
great team work place
Server (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMay 8, 2015
meet new people under pressure great team work give costumers what they want. its good lots of different shifts, there is great team work.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
work all holidays
Chaotic
Cocktail/Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAMarch 27, 2015
Although I loved working for my manager, the overall management of the restaurant was not handled well. It was ultimately the cause of my resignation. There was just a constant lack of communication that made it difficult to work.
it was ok to work here
Dishwasher/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 16, 2015
The co workers were great but the duties that you had was a bit to much for how much time they give you, with 2 workers you finished just on time or a few minutes later.
Fine Dining Restaurant
SALES MANAGER, BANQUET COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJFebruary 12, 2015
Working with staff that has drive and determination. Managing customer satisfaction. Enjoy opportunity to move into new positions and attaining more responsibility and accomplishing goals. Had difficulty with inconsistent hours.
Pros
experience
Cons
inconsistant management
Slow, but a positive work envrionment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WisconsinOctober 18, 2014
A typical day at work was very slow during the morning shift, our customer census was very low. I learned that I could exercise great customer service skills, even with customers that weren't very friendly. My coworkers were very nice and everyone helped each other out. There wasn't really a hard part of that job, and the most enjoyable thing I honestly would have to say were the other employee's and the managers.
Pros
great envionment
Cons
cut hours, low pay
Productive and cool place to work in Arlington, VA.
1 Waiter (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2014
This was one of the best workplaces ever. The staff and I got along really well. The location was the DMV area so attracted a lot of locals and tourists.
Busy, Fun, Family and Friends
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  DC, Balt.,MD and ArlingtonVAAugust 14, 2014
-10 hour intense day
-learned how to work under deep pressure
-good teacher and multi-tasker
-co-workers were loyal and would go to battle for you
-creating quality family time
-building a team that can grow with me and take them to the next level
Pros
great knowledgeable staff and money
Cons
dishwasher call-outs
Great
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 30, 2014
• Normal working day
• I learned about the restaurant industry
• Management was great
• Co-workers were great
• Job not difficult
• Favorite part of the job was being able to learn about the food industry
Pros
free lunches and food samples
Cons
no cons

McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant Group Reviews by Job Title