McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Stressful workplace. Little to no chance of advancement in the company.
Server (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJuly 17, 2017
Turnover rate is ridiculously high. Poor communication and help from management staff. I don't know if all Mccormick's is this unorganized, but this location is the worst when it comes to that. You feel like you're on your own while at work. Fortunately other coworkers besides management are willing to help out. Always out of something as much as food to having glassware to give to guests.
Pros
Has potential for servers to make a lot money
Cons
No communication, always overstaffing or not scheduling enough, never in between. Very unorganized. No help from management.
very nice and friendly atmosphere
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 13, 2017
I greeted customers with a friendly smile. I would walk them over to their designated table. I would make sure they had menus & introduced the servers name to them. I also answered the phone to take guest reservations.
Perfect place to start in fine dining, unorganized work atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 23, 2017
McCormick and Schmick's was a great place to start in the fine dining world. I learned everything I needed to know in a very short amount of time, from wine bottle service to pre-setting.
great coworkers poor managment
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 15, 2017
I would set up the bar. Help customers have a great dinning experience. I would also have customers for out of town and suggest thing to do in the area and other nice restaurants to eat at in the area. I go a long well with my fellow coworkers. However, the management was poor and made the pace hard to work in.
Its a restaurant job
Busser, Summer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 9, 2017
Personally did not enjoy the job, but it was just a summer job so I dont really think my experience will be representative of the experience if you are looking for longer term employment.
Busy and upbeat work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2017
Busy restaurant location with
constant change and guest interaction.
A typical day involves a mix of office paperwork
with then managing the floor and setting up for a shift.
Afternoons include emails and conference calls and then
evening line checks and prep work for smooth execution of dinner service and closing.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
long hours short staffed to save money
Let's just say it's not a fun place good people some may say but other then that
Pantry Cook (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreApril 24, 2017
It's just a lot to deal with not organized at all no team work I think it could much better it was a good learning experience for me it help a lot I know it's much better
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Lively restaurant with a great manager and team-atmophere
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 19, 2017
I learned a lot about the business side of running restaurants under a fantastic mentor. He taught me a lot about running a team, how to hire the right people to build a team, how to coach those players.

The years that I worked at McCormick & Schmick's were grueling, long hours, without much pay. But I learned so much about running a business from my mentor, it was something I looked forward to coming into work.
Pros
Great mentor
Cons
corporate restaurant that was sold and closed location
Ms
BAR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 11, 2017
A good place to work with lots of exciting things going on at all times. They offer the opportunity to work at any of the Landrys locations which is a nice option.
Confusing time when I was there
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2017
I was hired right before the company was sold to a major corporation. Things were really stressful and everyone was constantly worried about their job and the status of the restaurant
Pros
compensation was ok
Cons
very stressful
Good place
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2017
You come in to work, looking to make money andy usually it happens. Sometimes the shifts get rough but It's still a tolerable job that pays the bills.
Pros
good money
Cons
overstaffing, no benefits
4 star restaurant. fine dinning.
Pantry Chef (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 4, 2017
Followed proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.

Prepared salads and put together entrees.

Stock and maintained sufficient levels of food products at station.

Correctly and safely operated all kitchen equipment.

Cleaned, organized, and maintained walk-in and reach-in refrigerator, coolers and dry storage.

Preformed other prep duties assigned by executive chef.
Pros
4 star restaurant
Cons
Closed the doors.
Began as a local, family environment
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2017
I loved working here for the first year and a half, after which the company became much more corporate and as a result was the victim of a hostile takeover from a competitor and the Portland office was closed.
Easy going, laid back work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2017
easy, quick money! I do not have one bad thing to say about working with this company! Everyone was pleasant to be around and the large bill amounts made for nice tips every night.
Great employees,fun places to work.Great pay
Busier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2017
It was a great workplace to have.It gave my a great chance to excel my work ethic and better me as a employee. The company itself and the food was awesome, I really appreciated the opportunity.
Fun fast pace resturaunt
Busser (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 4, 2017
Is a great and fun place to work the atmosphere is always going from the hour of lunch to the hour dinner there is always something to do and with many great locations moving up in the company can and should be a breeze as long as you are ready for the challenge
McCormick & Schmick's Review
General Manager / Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 16, 2017
A typical work day is eleven hours. The day starts with reviewing emails, reports and touching the staff. Most of the day is spent training and executing productive shifts.
I learned a lot. There are a lot of system. We have regular
conference calls. I find the conference calls to be a good source of information as well new ideas and solutions to daily challenges.
Management is professional. They are pro restaurant people. Nothing is personal it is all about the business.
Co-Workers are pleasant and up beat.
The Hardest part of the job is working fifteen hour days on holidays.
The best part of the job are the people. Both customers and co-workers are a joy to be around.
Pros
I loved the people and work.
Cons
There is no balance between work and quality of life.
The longest Server postion I have held
Server/Banquet Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2017
Nice location and people were fun to be around. My coworkers would come and go, but they always kept ongoing employees on the payroll. It was more of work at your own pace instead of need to get it done. The night were romantic for the guest and I provided the best of the best of service.
Pros
Paid Cash daily
Cons
Managment always changing
Enjoy working with an awesome staff.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 26, 2016
Typically we are really busy so teamwork is a big part of your uniform. On occasions when we do have some free time small conversations are started and a few spur moments of us goofing off. The managers are awesome. The hardest thing about the job is NOTHING.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
Doubles
Money at what cost?
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2016
I made money working here (but at what cost?). Management valued me because I made them money. I witnessed many people come and go due to idiocracies that need not be mentioned. People who had given years, swept under the rug. I respect this business because of the business orientated system it inflicts. It clearly makes money, which I respect. However, contrary to what most would envision; profits do not trickle down. In fact, they seem to trickle up. I love customer service and sales, but I have kids, therefore, it was necessary for me to pursue an alternative profession. I strongly caution anyone with any self respect or resources to steer clear!