McCoy's Building Supply

McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews in United States

Management A+
Retail Yard Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Alpine, TXAugust 21, 2016
Management is very friendly and flexible with college students that are ready to work and help customers. only recommended to those who can lift 50+ lbs
Great Place
Store Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duncan, OKAugust 4, 2016
Excellent place to work. I loved them because my position as a store inventory coordinator allowed me to see the benefits my position had on the impact of the store and company. Excellent balance of work and family life. I love the position because you worked an excellent balance of with the boss and without.
Pros
Great balance of work and family life
Cons
Pay could be more for the work load
Amazing
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMJuly 8, 2016
A rare gem of a company. I consider my self lucky to have worked with these people. If there was a McCoys in Lubbock Tx I would have transferred in a heartbeat.
Lumber or Building Supplies
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  League City, TXJune 6, 2016
A typical a day at work starts in the morning with contractor order lumber and any fasteners they required. Also, a handful of phone calls about items we carry or see if can order something for delivery or pickup right away. Then later in the day you have the small town business and the DIYers. We see a bunch customer each day but I always love when the regulars come in and also does that don't have a clue how to start there project.
My managers are both lay back and cool and helpful.
I have wonderful and fun co workers that's also very helpful.
Hardest part of the job is to track down and product from certain vending to see if we can order it.
I really like helping and being able to find the product the customer come looking for.
Pros
Helping the best you can
Cons
turning customer away
Worst Job Ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
Was given a cash register and basically turned loose. Employees and Management are apathetic. Not trained properly. Left to fend for yourself. Don't apply here.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Apathetic Culture
Customer Service
Store Inventory Coordinator/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 1, 2016
This job is a family oriented place of business. Customers are more than customers, they are also friends. The coworkers are polite and helpful.
Pros
Friendly stress free environment
Cons
Inventory week
They work with college
Retail Yard Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Management was professional.
Training was excellent.
Co-workers were great to work along with.
Nothing was hard about the job tasks.
Learned how to operate a forklift.
Pros
they work with college
Cons
short breaks
Great Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Small store, with lumber yard, Great job to learn building supply/material. Good work environment and shopper friendly.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, hour lunch, Opportunity to advance within company
Cons
Exposed to weather, minimun wage pay, health insurance for full time employees only

Comment – January 26, 2016

Thank you for your comments about your experience working at McCoy's Building Supply! We are always striving to improve our employee experience when you work at one of our retail locations. Accordingly, effective on January 1st 2016, McCoy's now offers a starting pay rate of $10.00 per hour, or more, depending on your prior experience. Check out our available job postings now to see if there is an opening at a store near you! Thank you again for your comments, we do appreciate your feedback! The Human Resources Team, McCoy's Building Supply

Fun atmosphere to work in
YARD CREW (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Loading customers with the supplies that they purchased.
Management is great, they will teach you everything you need to know and then some.
Great co-workers who will lend a helping hand.
fun and fast paced workplace
Yard Crew (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 16, 2015
Load and unload customers vehicle in timely manner and operate a forklift. prepare and load customers orders on company vehicles and deliver to designated home and/or buisnesses.
Pros
lunch, uniforms
Cons
short breaks
fun environment to work in
Forklift operator/warehouse specialist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 21, 2015
very welcoming, family oriented establishment. management is very understanding and allows for the employee to go to school. management and employees encourage each other and also help out struggling co-workers
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
not enough hours
Great Boss good employess hard work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXSeptember 23, 2015
very interesting, exciting fast paced job. There is many things that you can learn. It is hard work though. delivery coordinator did not know how to run the show. He did not have a accurate system that ever worked for us drivers. Many days I would not get lunch, or know what time I would be able to get home.
Very Interesting Job
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Very good job to work, Friendly people and customers! You learn all the customers and they are the best customers ever! My coworkers were awesome! We were a team there! My manager were fair. He would help out in the store and on the yard! He was a challenging boss to the younger gentlemen there. They really looked up to him as a role model! The hardest part about that job was leaving a set of good customers and coworkers. The most enjoyable part about the job is we worked together and got alone!
Pros
We got an hour for lunch and that were good for running errands!
Cons
Health care were great. They gave us free life insurance!
Good family values
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 30, 2015
Always closed for holidays and set out good employee values. Also the CEO would come into our store to check up on us. Fun work place with supportive management.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Too demanding
Management was great
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TexasJuly 20, 2015
Management was great. Manager and supervisor knew I was a college student and worked around my class schedule. There are a lot of opportunities to move up. Very conservative. A lot of old people. Not very diverse; they need to hire more minorities at their HQ.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Old people
Fun place
Retail Yard Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Weimar, TXJuly 11, 2015
Fun place to work, typically the boss was very helpful and the department head was very helpful at times... l learned to not always be lost but to ask questions.. The co-workers were fun. the 2 delivery drivers were fun to talk to and helpful to answer questions... hardest part of the job was telling the difference between the sizes of lumber... most enjoyable part was seeing people and getting to talk to them.
Yard Crew
Yard Crew (Former Employee) –  Richwood, WacoJune 29, 2015
Most of these reviews are just stiffs from HR that are told to do so just remember that when your reading these.

I worked at two locations when I was in college part time and I really don't have anything bad to say, they worked with my schedule, it paid decent for a college kid, for the most part I liked my coworkers, Long lunch breaks, got to be outside and talk to people, I never felt threatened with job security, hard work was appreciated, and I never felt like I had to pretend I was enjoying work. It was hot and I caught some blisters and splinters but in all honesty if I could make a wage that supported my lifestyle now I would go back. Its not for everyone and I heard a lot of moans and gripes but it's fairly obvious that its a physically demanding job that requires actual labor.

McCoy's is family owned and actually cares about it's employees which is something your going to be hard pressed to find.

Closed every Sunday and every Holiday.

I just wanted to point out that my birthday falls on a major holiday in December and McCoy's will send you a Holiday and Birthday card with 50 dollars in it, which is common but they sent me one card with a 100 dollar bill in it. I appreciated the gesture, it meant that someone actually noticed and that's my point in it all. They actually care
Pros
Lunch and Schedule
Cons
Healthcare.

Comment – July 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! As you noted, we are a traditional lumberyard company founded on hard work; however, we also sincerely believe that we are a company who believes in doing business differently than others. We call it Business As Unusual (BAU). A Christmas Card from the owner of McCoy's is just one small example of that. We appreciate your time and dedication to your job while you worked for us, and sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Loved the people
CSA / Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MSJune 22, 2015
Hated the job, It had no room for progression or advancement just work and go home, although I loved the people. Just like a family environment
good company to work for
Retail Sales Supervisor, Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXMay 12, 2015
checked-mail, loaded reg. checked uniforms, checked in trucks, ordered product needed, stocked shelves, checked price tags, co-workers were good for most part. management was good till last manager, (he was removed right after I left). The hardest part of the job was hand unloading sheetrock. the most enjoyable part of the job was most every thing else.
Sales, Retail, Forklift operator
Cashier, Retail, Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 24, 2015
Everyday was a always a great day, and if it wasn't I always tried my best to make it one. Working for McCoys Building Supply was a great learning experience. I always learned something new about construction and of how certain things are built and what is needed for each project. The management was awesome, they always made you feel great and at home. The co-workers were incredibly awesome as well, they always helped when something was not right or needed to be fixed, they never let you down. The hardest part of my job was actually not getting enough hours but yet again the most enjoyable part of my job was just having a lot of interaction with people and meeting a lot of company owners who always helped me with a lot of my own projects.
Pros
People Interactions
Cons
Not enough hours