McCoy's Building Supply

McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews

Great place to work if given a fair chance to expand under management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXOctober 27, 2014
Open the store by refilling the registers with $400 per drawer.
Pull fork lifts out into the yard.
Unlock and open all gates, bays, and doors.
Assist customers throughout the day by any means (finding products, special orders, answering phones, loading vehicles, etc.)
Maintenance isles periodically (stocking, facing, and cleaning products).
Assist the yard in outside duties (similar to in store maintenance and customer assistance).

I've learned how to deal with the everyday customer (the good, the bad, and the ugly), how to balance registers, time when coordinating deliveries, and coworker's personal lives when making the following week's schedule, how to operate a forklift (loading and unloading commercial vehicles), and ultimately what it takes to run a million dollar store.

Great working environment when it came to my coworkers at this location (I know the quality of relations are prone to deviate).

The hardest part of working at McCoy's would have to be serving excessive hours to close minded management that eventually caused me to leave due to it's false promises of raises and room for advancement.

I enjoy helping people and seeing a direct effect of my work; this job was able to provide that for me.
Pros
family values, work atmosphere, and room for advancement
Cons
benefits, management quality, and lack of support from corporate
Yard Crew
Yard Crew (Former Employee) –  Richwood, WacoJune 29, 2015
Most of these reviews are just stiffs from HR that are told to do so just remember that when your reading these.

I worked at two locations when I was in college part time and I really don't have anything bad to say, they worked with my schedule, it paid decent for a college kid, for the most part I liked my coworkers, Long lunch breaks, got to be outside and talk to people, I never felt threatened with job security, hard work was appreciated, and I never felt like I had to pretend I was enjoying work. It was hot and I caught some blisters and splinters but in all honesty if I could make a wage that supported my lifestyle now I would go back. Its not for everyone and I heard a lot of moans and gripes but it's fairly obvious that its a physically demanding job that requires actual labor.

McCoy's is family owned and actually cares about it's employees which is something your going to be hard pressed to find.

Closed every Sunday and every Holiday.

I just wanted to point out that my birthday falls on a major holiday in December and McCoy's will send you a Holiday and Birthday card with 50 dollars in it, which is common but they sent me one card with a 100 dollar bill in it. I appreciated the gesture, it meant that someone actually noticed and that's my point in it all. They actually care
Pros
Lunch and Schedule
Cons
Healthcare.

Comment – July 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! As you noted, we are a traditional lumberyard company founded on hard work; however, we also sincerely believe that we are a company who believes in doing business differently than others. We call it Business As Unusual (BAU). A Christmas Card from the owner of McCoy's is just one small example of that. We appreciate your time and dedication to your job while you worked for us, and sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Lousy Bosses, Bad Pay, Hard Work
Yard (Former Employee) –  Duncan OKFebruary 24, 2013
Pay scale is below average, you pay for your benefits, you work in extreme cold (13 degree weather) and extreme heat (110 degrees) while the bosses sit in the heated and air conditioned store. Sometimes required to skip lunch. Working over to take care of customers and company is not appreciated. Years of service not appreciated. Raises are puny and hard as hell to get. Bosses are allowed to treat you like c r a p. Hours can change from day to day. Seniority doesn't mean c r a p. They have you falsify Vehicle Inspections so the higher up bosses don't ground the vehicles. The don't allow enough time for vehicles to be properly repaired. You work in dangerous work conditions lifting heavy lumber and concrete sacks and various other items. They require you to carry heavy oversized sheetrock (hundreds of sheets) upstairs. They don't listen to your ideas to make things easier. They have a WalMart/McDonalds attitude towards employees (there's always someone else looking for a job). They require you to buy their c r a ppy overpriced shirts as uniform. They will make you work sick, or injured, no sympathy.
Cons
hundreds
great company that treats employees very good
Yard Foreman (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 28, 2012
I worked for McCoy's for 7 years, starting as a lumberyard crewman and grew tremendously under the direction and mentorship of my manager to become the foreman of the lumberyard when i was 23. I cannot say enough good things about the management and the leadership of the company.

The supportive envirnment at McCoy's was a great place for me during college and I received various training that will be invaluable to me in my professional career. Although McCoy's was a great place for me to be, I realized i had let work interfere with my completion of college. In July of 2011, I decided to leave McCoy's to complete my college degree.
Pros
frequent encouragement and affirmation of a job well done
Cons
none worth mentioning
Very Interesting Job
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Very good job to work, Friendly people and customers! You learn all the customers and they are the best customers ever! My coworkers were awesome! We were a team there! My manager were fair. He would help out in the store and on the yard! He was a challenging boss to the younger gentlemen there. They really looked up to him as a role model! The hardest part about that job was leaving a set of good customers and coworkers. The most enjoyable part about the job is we worked together and got alone!
Pros
We got an hour for lunch and that were good for running errands!
Cons
Health care were great. They gave us free life insurance!
dont waste your time applying for this company go and find something better.
yard crew member (Former Employee) –  el campo texasMarch 25, 2015
Nobody wants do to their job and If you are a good worker they gonna try to make you do everything, and there is a lot of people kissing butt so they dont get to work and not get in trouble when they do bad stuff and foreman always is trying to get somebody In trouble so he doesn't get in troble for not doing his job and there is a lot of back stabing between workers and Plus mccoys has poor management they dont know how to solve problems between workers..... so don't waste your time applying for this place find something better
Cons
everything

Comment – April 2, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! Good or constructive, we do value hearing on how we may improve our relationship with our employees as a company. While it appears you no longer work for McCoy's, we do sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Good Enviroment, Good People
Driver (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Gathered, loaded, and secured materials on the truck daily. All materials were placed on the job sites or at the customer’s homes by hand or fork-lift. Assisted with maintaining the cleanliness of the yard, advised customers as to which product would likely meet their needs, and assisted customers with loading materials. Entered customer invoices into the computer database after a customer has been delivered their products. Accepted payment from customers and submitted the payment at the store when turning in the customer invoices.
Great people and work ethic
Corp Office (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 2, 2013
McCoy's values their employees and understands who you are personally and professionally. Wonderful opportunities to learn many different aspects of the business. Co-workers are like family. The people I work with make me want to go to work every day. You would be hard pressed to find a company with so many tenured employees. I'm proud to tell people I work for McCoy's, a privately owned 4th generation family owned business!
Pros
people, friendly environment
Cons
pay slightly lower than average
A good place to start... but not to stay.
Retail Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 9, 2015
Brief moments of brilliance with the promise of being part of something bigger and better. Too much politics within management on daily basis. Tenured employees are given preferential treatment & have zero accountability.
Pros
good coworkers, somewhat of a family environment...
Cons
compensation is inconsistent, management soap operas, limited advancement for minorities (hispanic, black) need to be part of the "good ol boy network"

Comment – April 2, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! Good or constructive, we do value hearing on how we may improve our relationship with our employees as a company. We believe McCoy's is an equal opportunity employer, with opportunities for advancement for anyone who wishes to make life easier and more fulfilling for those who build (our customers). While it appears you no longer work for McCoy's, we do sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Great hours. Lots of good people.
Store Inventory Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKOctober 3, 2012
Was given the opportunity to work both independently and as part of a team. Always got to start the day quietly with a swift swing into action in the later part of the morning. I worked with alot of great people, not only in our store but also visiting employees from other stores.
Pros
health insurance, set schedule
Cons
trying to get old emplyees on board with new systems
Good summer job
Yard Worker and Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXFebruary 3, 2014
I started here as yard hand as a supplemental job while I attended Lonestar College, as they were pretty flexible with my school schedule. Decent starter salary. I loaded guests with the material they bought from inside, and also pulled and bundled loads to be shipped out on the big trucks. I drove a forklift for all the heavy lifting.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
no advancement, no raises nor incentives.
good place to work
truck driver (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 26, 2012
but need to really look into the human resource department and some of the employees that work in the construction department that have been there to long and dont know what they are doing. alot of the store managers do not like them because they do not know how to handle projects and all they do is try to creat work so that they have a place to charge thier work time too.
Fun Fast moving enviorment
Admin (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKApril 19, 2013
I go in file all paperwork and tickets from day before. Then I go do all price changes. I learned something new everyday from either the managment team or customers. The hardest part of this job was getting other employees to help you with something and being overwelmed with amount of work to be done. I enjoyed the people.
good job for singles
Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXNovember 7, 2014
Great for individuals that are single with no family because if you intend on going through the Managers Training Program you will be moved a lot. Be prepared for it and make them put everything they say in writing, big promises but does not follow through well.
Pros
great oppertunities
Cons
moving
Great environment/ culture
Commercial Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Universal City, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Don't offer you proper training.
Ask a lot out of you but won't pay you in return.
Management will tell you things you want to hear to keep you there.
Culture is good, people are very friendly. Just hard to get motivated to be there when you're working hard for little wages.
Pros
great environment
Cons
benefits are so-so, don't pay
Happy energetic people
Farm & Ranch Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bryan TXJune 12, 2012
Providing customer service to all contractors and customers in the the Bryan and College Station area. Re-stocking the store, helping to load customers are a daily activity. Traveling out to customers homes and property helping to set-up and demonstrate how to use equipment.
Pros
great people, traveling outside of store
Cons
cattle markets drive people's income and spending
I worked outside sales in Tx and La
Commercial Sales (Current Employee) –  Orange,TexasOctober 2, 2013
I began my day always at the store at 6:45 AM to set my day and go over anything outstanding from the prior day. Leaving by 7:30 always. I had great coworkers and liked spending time with them. the most enjoyable part of my job was the freedom.
Poverty level pay
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Bastrop, TXMay 19, 2012
They pay in the bottom 10% in the state and do not back or protect there employees. Management is under qualified and some of the worse people I've worked for. The coworkers are great and it is a good work family and the contractors treat you with respect.
Cons
the pay and lack of company loyality
Was a good job while I was going to college. Worked well around my school schedule.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXAugust 4, 2012
Learned customer service. Worked in the yard all day loading customers and pulling deliveries. Managment was ok there could be worked on. Co- workers were great and enjoyed working with them.
Management was great
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TexasJuly 20, 2015
Management was great. Manager and supervisor knew I was a college student and worked around my class schedule. There are a lot of opportunities to move up. Very conservative. A lot of old people. Not very diverse; they need to hire more minorities at their HQ.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Old people