McCoy's Building Supply

McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews

Loved the people
CSA / Crew Member (Former Employee), Greenville, MSJune 22, 2015
Hated the job, It had no room for progression or advancement just work and go home, although I loved the people. Just like a family environment
Stabled Company, Stabled Check
Yard Worker (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 12, 2015
McCoy's Building Supply is a stable company to work with. Although room for advancement can take a while. Wages are fairly low at times. For someone who seeks a career with McCoy's and wouldn't mind waiting for advancement, I say go for it.
dont waste your time applying for this company go and find something better.
yard crew member (Former Employee), el campo texasMarch 25, 2015
Cons: everything
Nobody wants do to their job and If you are a good worker they gonna try to make you do everything, and there is a lot of people kissing butt so they dont get to work and not get in trouble when they do bad stuff and foreman always is trying to get somebody In trouble so he doesn't get in troble for not doing his job and there is a lot of back stabing between workers and Plus mccoys has poor management they dont know how to solve problems between workers..... so don't waste your time applying for this place find something better

April 2, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! Good or constructive, we do value hearing on how we may improve our relationship with our employees as a company. While it appears you no longer work for McCoy's, we do sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

A good place to start... but not to stay.
Retail Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 9, 2015
Pros: good coworkers, somewhat of a family environment...
Cons: compensation is inconsistent, management soap operas, limited advancement for minorities (hispanic, black) need to be part of the "good ol boy network"
Brief moments of brilliance with the promise of being part of something bigger and better. Too much politics within management on daily basis. Tenured employees are given preferential treatment & have zero accountability.

April 2, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! Good or constructive, we do value hearing on how we may improve our relationship with our employees as a company. We believe McCoy's is an equal opportunity employer, with opportunities for advancement for anyone who wishes to make life easier and more fulfilling for those who build (our customers). While it appears you no longer work for McCoy's, we do sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Great environment/ culture
Commercial Sales Support (Current Employee), Universal City, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: benefits are so-so, don't pay
Don't offer you proper training.
Ask a lot out of you but won't pay you in return.
Management will tell you things you want to hear to keep you there.
Culture is good, people are very friendly. Just hard to get motivated to be there when you're working hard for little wages.
good job for singles
Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee), Cleveland, TXNovember 7, 2014
Pros: great oppertunities
Cons: moving
Great for individuals that are single with no family because if you intend on going through the Managers Training Program you will be moved a lot. Be prepared for it and make them put everything they say in writing, big promises but does not follow through well.
Great place to work if given a fair chance to expand under management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cleveland, TXOctober 27, 2014
Pros: family values, work atmosphere, and room for advancement
Cons: benefits, management quality, and lack of support from corporate
Open the store by refilling the registers with $400 per drawer.
Pull fork lifts out into the yard.
Unlock and open all gates, bays, and doors.
Assist customers throughout the day by any means (finding products, special orders, answering phones, loading vehicles, etc.)
Maintenance isles periodically (stocking, facing, and cleaning products).
Assist the yard in outside duties (similar to in store maintenance and customer assistance).

I've learned how to deal with the everyday customer (the good, the bad, and the ugly), how to balance registers, time when coordinating deliveries, and coworker's personal lives when making the following week's schedule, how to operate a forklift (loading and unloading commercial vehicles), and ultimately what it takes to run a million dollar store.

Great working environment when it came to my coworkers at this location (I know the quality of relations are prone to deviate).

The hardest part of working at McCoy's would have to be serving excessive hours to close minded management that eventually caused me to leave due to it's false promises of raises and room for advancement.

I enjoy helping people and seeing a direct effect of my work; this job was able to provide that for me.
Great People
Cashier (Current Employee), Harlingen, TXAugust 19, 2014
Never a dual moment, always having someone whether it's another co worker or customer that will make you smile.
Great company to work with during school
Delivery Team Member (Former Employee), Bryan, TXJuly 30, 2014
Fast paced and customer service driven. Excellent abilities to work around a school schedule.
It was a good place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee), Austin, TXJune 16, 2014
I really enjoyed working here. They were very flexible with my hours.
Good summer job
Yard Worker and Forklift Driver (Former Employee), Cleveland, TXFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: no advancement, no raises nor incentives.
I started here as yard hand as a supplemental job while I attended Lonestar College, as they were pretty flexible with my school schedule. Decent starter salary. I loaded guests with the material they bought from inside, and also pulled and bundled loads to be shipped out on the big trucks. I drove a forklift for all the heavy lifting.
Good Enviroment, Good People
Driver (Current Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Gathered, loaded, and secured materials on the truck daily. All materials were placed on the job sites or at the customer’s homes by hand or fork-lift. Assisted with maintaining the cleanliness of the yard, advised customers as to which product would likely meet their needs, and assisted customers with loading materials. Entered customer invoices into the computer database after a customer has been delivered their products. Accepted payment from customers and submitted the payment at the store when turning in the customer invoices.
Family oriented
Store Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 29, 2013
Pros: family atmosphere
Cons: low pay
Great place to work , moved up the ladder fast with company , started as trainee and within six months became store manager. learned a great deal about managment
great place to work for
Yard Worker (Former Employee), Lawton, OKNovember 6, 2013
all around great place to work for good people and good atmosphere
I worked outside sales in Tx and La
Commercial Sales (Current Employee), Orange,TexasOctober 2, 2013
I began my day always at the store at 6:45 AM to set my day and go over anything outstanding from the prior day. Leaving by 7:30 always. I had great coworkers and liked spending time with them. the most enjoyable part of my job was the freedom.
I loved my job!
Cashier / Customer Service / Inside Sales (Former Employee), Belton, TXAugust 15, 2013
I loved seeing my customers daily, weekly.
I thought some improvements were needed in training.
Fun Fast moving enviorment
Admin (Former Employee), Okmulgee, OKApril 19, 2013
I go in file all paperwork and tickets from day before. Then I go do all price changes. I learned something new everyday from either the managment team or customers. The hardest part of this job was getting other employees to help you with something and being overwelmed with amount of work to be done. I enjoyed the people.
Productive, always off sundays, always closed at 6pm
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Roswell, NMMarch 30, 2013
Pros: healthcare beneafits, 401k, reasonalbe hours
Cons: could be dirty place to work due to building items sold
Learned about building materials and necessary items needed for home building.
Lousy Bosses, Bad Pay, Hard Work
Yard (Former Employee), Duncan OKFebruary 24, 2013
Cons: hundreds
Pay scale is below average, you pay for your benefits, you work in extreme cold (13 degree weather) and extreme heat (110 degrees) while the bosses sit in the heated and air conditioned store. Sometimes required to skip lunch. Working over to take care of customers and company is not appreciated. Years of service not appreciated. Raises are puny and hard as hell to get. Bosses are allowed to treat you like c r a p. Hours can change from day to day. Seniority doesn't mean c r a p. They have you falsify Vehicle Inspections so the higher up bosses don't ground the vehicles. The don't allow enough time for vehicles to be properly repaired. You work in dangerous work conditions lifting heavy lumber and concrete sacks and various other items. They require you to carry heavy oversized sheetrock (hundreds of sheets) upstairs. They don't listen to your ideas to make things easier. They have a WalMart/McDonalds attitude towards employees (there's always someone else looking for a job). They require you to buy their c r a ppy overpriced shirts as uniform. They will make you work sick, or injured, no sympathy.
great place great people
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Alpine, TXFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: best management i've ever had!
Cons: low pay scale
This company took me under their wing and encouraged me everyday. The management was awesome and this group of people help and support each other to the fullest.

About McCoy's Building Supply

McCoy’s is a fourth-generation, family-owned supplier of lumber, building supplies and farm and ranch equipment with supply – Read more

McCoy's Building Supply Salaries

Truck Driver
$26,000 per year
Commercial Sales
$45,000 per year
Cashier
$8.25 per hour

McCoy's Building Supply Photos

A glimpse at one of our yard employees working in the lumberyard!
Revisiting and honoring part of our past is part of success today.
A glimpse at our employees at work in one of our newer retail locations!