McCoy's Building Supply

McCoy's Building Supply Employee Reviews in United States

Customer Service
Store Inventory Coordinator/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXApril 1, 2016
This job is a family oriented place of business. Customers are more than customers, they are also friends. The coworkers are polite and helpful.
Pros
Friendly stress free environment
Cons
Inventory week
They work with college
Retail Yard Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Orange, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Management was professional.
Training was excellent.
Co-workers were great to work along with.
Nothing was hard about the job tasks.
Learned how to operate a forklift.
Pros
they work with college
Cons
short breaks
Great Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Small store, with lumber yard, Great job to learn building supply/material. Good work environment and shopper friendly.
Pros
Flexible work schedules, hour lunch, Opportunity to advance within company
Cons
Exposed to weather, minimun wage pay, health insurance for full time employees only

Comment – January 26, 2016

Thank you for your comments about your experience working at McCoy's Building Supply! We are always striving to improve our employee experience when you work at one of our retail locations. Accordingly, effective on January 1st 2016, McCoy's now offers a starting pay rate of $10.00 per hour, or more, depending on your prior experience. Check out our available job postings now to see if there is an opening at a store near you! Thank you again for your comments, we do appreciate your feedback! The Human Resources Team, McCoy's Building Supply

Management was great
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TexasJuly 20, 2015
Management was great. Manager and supervisor knew I was a college student and worked around my class schedule. There are a lot of opportunities to move up. Very conservative. A lot of old people. Not very diverse; they need to hire more minorities at their HQ.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Old people
Yard Crew
Yard Crew (Former Employee) –  Richwood, WacoJune 29, 2015
Most of these reviews are just stiffs from HR that are told to do so just remember that when your reading these.

I worked at two locations when I was in college part time and I really don't have anything bad to say, they worked with my schedule, it paid decent for a college kid, for the most part I liked my coworkers, Long lunch breaks, got to be outside and talk to people, I never felt threatened with job security, hard work was appreciated, and I never felt like I had to pretend I was enjoying work. It was hot and I caught some blisters and splinters but in all honesty if I could make a wage that supported my lifestyle now I would go back. Its not for everyone and I heard a lot of moans and gripes but it's fairly obvious that its a physically demanding job that requires actual labor.

McCoy's is family owned and actually cares about it's employees which is something your going to be hard pressed to find.

Closed every Sunday and every Holiday.

I just wanted to point out that my birthday falls on a major holiday in December and McCoy's will send you a Holiday and Birthday card with 50 dollars in it, which is common but they sent me one card with a 100 dollar bill in it. I appreciated the gesture, it meant that someone actually noticed and that's my point in it all. They actually care
Pros
Lunch and Schedule
Cons
Healthcare.

Comment – July 3, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! As you noted, we are a traditional lumberyard company founded on hard work; however, we also sincerely believe that we are a company who believes in doing business differently than others. We call it Business As Unusual (BAU). A Christmas Card from the owner of McCoy's is just one small example of that. We appreciate your time and dedication to your job while you worked for us, and sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Loved the people
CSA / Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MSJune 22, 2015
Hated the job, It had no room for progression or advancement just work and go home, although I loved the people. Just like a family environment
Stabled Company, Stabled Check
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2015
McCoy's Building Supply is a stable company to work with. Although room for advancement can take a while. Wages are fairly low at times. For someone who seeks a career with McCoy's and wouldn't mind waiting for advancement, I say go for it.
dont waste your time applying for this company go and find something better.
yard crew member (Former Employee) –  el campo texasMarch 25, 2015
Nobody wants do to their job and If you are a good worker they gonna try to make you do everything, and there is a lot of people kissing butt so they dont get to work and not get in trouble when they do bad stuff and foreman always is trying to get somebody In trouble so he doesn't get in troble for not doing his job and there is a lot of back stabing between workers and Plus mccoys has poor management they dont know how to solve problems between workers..... so don't waste your time applying for this place find something better
Cons
everything

Comment – April 2, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! Good or constructive, we do value hearing on how we may improve our relationship with our employees as a company. While it appears you no longer work for McCoy's, we do sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

A good place to start... but not to stay.
Retail Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 9, 2015
Brief moments of brilliance with the promise of being part of something bigger and better. Too much politics within management on daily basis. Tenured employees are given preferential treatment & have zero accountability.
Pros
good coworkers, somewhat of a family environment...
Cons
compensation is inconsistent, management soap operas, limited advancement for minorities (hispanic, black) need to be part of the "good ol boy network"

Comment – April 2, 2015

Thank you for your feedback concerning McCoy's Building Supply! Good or constructive, we do value hearing on how we may improve our relationship with our employees as a company. We believe McCoy's is an equal opportunity employer, with opportunities for advancement for anyone who wishes to make life easier and more fulfilling for those who build (our customers). While it appears you no longer work for McCoy's, we do sincerely wish you the best of luck in your career. Thank you again for your feedback. The Human Resources Team McCoy's Building Supply

Great environment/ culture
Commercial Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Universal City, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Don't offer you proper training.
Ask a lot out of you but won't pay you in return.
Management will tell you things you want to hear to keep you there.
Culture is good, people are very friendly. Just hard to get motivated to be there when you're working hard for little wages.
Pros
great environment
Cons
benefits are so-so, don't pay
good job for singles
Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXNovember 7, 2014
Great for individuals that are single with no family because if you intend on going through the Managers Training Program you will be moved a lot. Be prepared for it and make them put everything they say in writing, big promises but does not follow through well.
Pros
great oppertunities
Cons
moving
Great place to work if given a fair chance to expand under management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXOctober 27, 2014
Open the store by refilling the registers with $400 per drawer.
Pull fork lifts out into the yard.
Unlock and open all gates, bays, and doors.
Assist customers throughout the day by any means (finding products, special orders, answering phones, loading vehicles, etc.)
Maintenance isles periodically (stocking, facing, and cleaning products).
Assist the yard in outside duties (similar to in store maintenance and customer assistance).

I've learned how to deal with the everyday customer (the good, the bad, and the ugly), how to balance registers, time when coordinating deliveries, and coworker's personal lives when making the following week's schedule, how to operate a forklift (loading and unloading commercial vehicles), and ultimately what it takes to run a million dollar store.

Great working environment when it came to my coworkers at this location (I know the quality of relations are prone to deviate).

The hardest part of working at McCoy's would have to be serving excessive hours to close minded management that eventually caused me to leave due to it's false promises of raises and room for advancement.

I enjoy helping people and seeing a direct effect of my work; this job was able to provide that for me.
Pros
family values, work atmosphere, and room for advancement
Cons
benefits, management quality, and lack of support from corporate
Great People
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXAugust 19, 2014
Never a dual moment, always having someone whether it's another co worker or customer that will make you smile.
Great company to work with during school
Delivery Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJuly 30, 2014
Fast paced and customer service driven. Excellent abilities to work around a school schedule.
It was a good place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 16, 2014
I really enjoyed working here. They were very flexible with my hours.
Good summer job
Yard Worker and Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TXFebruary 3, 2014
I started here as yard hand as a supplemental job while I attended Lonestar College, as they were pretty flexible with my school schedule. Decent starter salary. I loaded guests with the material they bought from inside, and also pulled and bundled loads to be shipped out on the big trucks. I drove a forklift for all the heavy lifting.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
no advancement, no raises nor incentives.
Good Enviroment, Good People
Driver (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 8, 2014
Gathered, loaded, and secured materials on the truck daily. All materials were placed on the job sites or at the customer’s homes by hand or fork-lift. Assisted with maintaining the cleanliness of the yard, advised customers as to which product would likely meet their needs, and assisted customers with loading materials. Entered customer invoices into the computer database after a customer has been delivered their products. Accepted payment from customers and submitted the payment at the store when turning in the customer invoices.
Family oriented
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 29, 2013
Great place to work , moved up the ladder fast with company , started as trainee and within six months became store manager. learned a great deal about managment
Pros
family atmosphere
Cons
low pay
great place to work for
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKNovember 6, 2013
all around great place to work for good people and good atmosphere
I worked outside sales in Tx and La
Commercial Sales (Current Employee) –  Orange,TexasOctober 2, 2013
I began my day always at the store at 6:45 AM to set my day and go over anything outstanding from the prior day. Leaving by 7:30 always. I had great coworkers and liked spending time with them. the most enjoyable part of my job was the freedom.