McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Employee Reviews

Inconsistant Managment
Associate (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Poor management
The benefits are great and generous PTO. However, the work/ life balance they advertise is really only for management. They tell you telecommuting is available when you interview but once hired you find only managers are allowed to not come into the office.

Everyone wants to appear nice, so if you ask for feedback, management will say you are doing great. However, when you get a performance – more... review, it's a race to find reasons not to give raises despite record profits in recent years.

Training is provided for existing employees annually to meet government regulations but new employees receive no training.

The turnover is extremely high. The average staff was there less than a year. Majority of staff are very young and makes some days feel like you are pledging a fraternity.

Managers are also relatively new, many having been bought during acquisitions in recent years. There are almost as many managers as staff and none follow "official" company policy on projects, each having their own, "my old company", way of doing things. – less
Lots of Opportunity
International Tax (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 6, 2015
McGladrey is growing quickly and there is a lot of room for new people and service lines. If there is a particular project or service you'd like to offer, speak up and likely 3 leaders will support you and help drive you to success. Get in on the ground floor!
Middle Market Accounting Firm
Associate (Former Employee), Bay AreaApril 27, 2015
Pros: Job Stability
Cons: Poor work life, low client quality
Large accounting firms with small presence trying to find its place in the Silicon Valley and Bay Area. Clientele leave much to be desired. Hard to gain and retain talent with poor worklife balance, poor clients, and a culture that has very little to be desired.
Management is sub-par
Assurance Associate (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDMarch 15, 2015
Overall, McGladrey was a difficult place to work. Work/Life balance did not exist and training was minimal. Very poor communication between offices.
Beware
Technology Consultant (Former Employee), Davenport, IADecember 12, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: must suck up, long hours, no reward.
You must suck up to keep your job or move up in company. Clearly defined promotion guidelines are broken for buddies and not based off performance.
great place to work
office services lead (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2014
Pros: great benefit package and pto packages
Cons: very high turnover in employees
a typical day at McGladrey includes helping the tax and audit personnel with anything they need, covering the reception desk as needed, reserve offices, cubicles, conference rooms and lunch as needed. I also helped co-workers from other offices with anything they needed - if I couldn't, I found someone who could. I had an excellent rapport with the maintenance engineers in the building and the restaurant – more... personnel in the building. In my capacity as an Offices Services Lead, I was a "mini office manager" being the eyes and ears for my supervisor who was in another office.

The hardest part of the job was trying to be the best at whatever was asked of me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the busy times of the year which generally ran from January to the end of April and from August to October. – less
High stress environment
Director (Senior Manager) (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
Cons: long work days, insurance benefits
In public accounting, there is no typical day. Every day brings a new adventure. Coming from a smaller firm, there was certainly a steep learning curve to adjust to a larger firm.
Opportunity to Gain Useful Knowledge/Experience
Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2014
Co-workers - varies with team assignments
The hardest part of the job - travel and hours
The most enjoyable part of the job - team interaction
What you learned - communication skills as we must communicate with the client and our team regularly, software applications, GAAP application
Good place to gain experience
Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 22, 2014
Pros: salaries and benefits are good
Cons: not a supportive learning environment.
Very political environment. You will gain a lot of experience, but don't expect anyone to train you. They will send you to national training, but on the job training is not the norm. If you are good at research and learning from text books and then putting into practice, you will work out well. If you believe in training staff, they will not respect you.
Great Workplace
Staff Accountant/CSR Small Business Accountant (Former Employee), Olympia, WASeptember 19, 2014
Leadership was amazing and I was able to expand on my skills. This was the first time working with a national company, so the resources were amazing!
Fast-paced, deadline driven industry with great advancement opportunities
Senior Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: training, management, advancement opportunities
Cons: busy season
A typical day could be in the office or out at the client. Management places auditors on engagements close to home. There are flexible hours available. Busy season can last past April. The culture is friendly and everyone does their best to provide new hires and Seniors with the help they need to succeed. Managers are swamped but still find time to answer questions. The Partners and Directors have an open door policy and work closely with the entire engagement staff. There is a lot of room for advancement and growth. Auditors at all levels will continually learn throughout their career.
Great people and work culture, but little communication from management
ASSURANCE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
I learned a great deal during my first busy season as a Assurance Associate at McGladrey. For the most part, management was very helpful and supportive during my first few months, as the learning curve was very steep and challenging.

However, lines of communication were weak between my entry-level colleagues and upper-level management. At the end of the the review period, I was told by my Career Advisor that I had met expectations and had done a great job during my first busy season. Many of the managers I had worked with gave me positive reviews and stated they were looking forward to working with me again. After all that, I was let go out of nowhere! As I stated before, very weak communication between myself and management.
You are in charge of your career
Technology Risk Advisory Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 3, 2014
There is no typical day, every day is different
You have smart co-workers and you to be willing to go above and beyond for your clients
Senior Tax Associate - High Net Worth (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2014
My typical day is working 10-12 hours a day. I have gained a great deal of knowledge since I began working for the firm.
Pyramid Scheme
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 12, 2014
Pros: decent pay young workforce
Cons: don't count on pros for long
There is no experience with prior clients due to the high turnover making each job uber stressful. Sensitive client issues are not communicated to the new teams. If you thrive on uncertainty McGladrey LLP is the place for you.
Intense public accounting audit internship during busy season.
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 26, 2014
Pros: learned many applicable accounting skills.
Cons: intense workweeks.
Worked in several teams auditing financial information of clients. Worked with many different clients and all levels of management at clients and firm. Typical workweek was 75 hours, 6 days a week. Required high analytical skills, attention to details, and management of many projects simultaneously. Gained valuable experience learning new Excel skills and business best practices.
Fast paced enviroment with great coworkers.
Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 23, 2014
Pros: wide variety of responsibilities.
Working with McGladrey was an extremely challenging and rewarding position that I truly enjoyed. There were no two days the same. My responsibilities were extremely diverse from travel arrangements for the executives to processing of financials and related documents for the clients.
Fun, Nice environment, Nice people, Appreciate their people
Education Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Fun, busy, fast paced

New systems

Management not real friendly

Co-workers fun
This is a good place to start a career
Experienced Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2014
Pros: very good team work, small firm feel, exposure to mid size companies is amazing
Cons: onboarding for experienced hires needs improvement
Very good environment, great people, you will enjoy working here
Good learning environment
Technology Consulting Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2014
Work with middle market clientele in a variety of industries on ERP implementations.
Lots of on-the-job type training