McGladrey LLP Employee Reviews in United States

Decent Place to Launch Career
Senior Consulting Associate, Financial Advisory (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2015
Not an intense environment. Good place to get exposure to accounting and different industries. Given lots of different type of work depending on group.
Pros
Good learning environment
Cons
Viewed as small firm
Fast growing company with good work/life balance
Tax Director (Current Employee) –  San FranciscoJune 14, 2015
Compared to "big 4", McGladrey offers good work/life balance yet competitive compensation. It has the structure and resources similar to "big 4" except it focus on the middle market. At McGladrey, there is more interaction with clients and coworkers appear to be friendly. However, diversity can be improved in this firm. Clients rely on McGladrey heavily and as a result I learned a lot from the questions raised by them.
Don't wish to write review
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 12, 2015
It is a good place to work. Good work/life balance. Has a great social club with many activities going on. Has an art gallery with pieces from local artists.
Middle Market Accounting Firm
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay AreaApril 27, 2015
Large accounting firms with small presence trying to find its place in the Silicon Valley and Bay Area. Clientele leave much to be desired. Hard to gain and retain talent with poor worklife balance, poor clients, and a culture that has very little to be desired.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Poor work life, low client quality
Fast paced
Office Lead (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 26, 2015
Overall a good company to work for that is very fast paced during tax season but slows down in the summer. If you are a person who is detail oriented this is a place for you.
Lots of Opportunity
International Tax (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 6, 2015
McGladrey is growing quickly and there is a lot of room for new people and service lines. If there is a particular project or service you'd like to offer, speak up and likely 3 leaders will support you and help drive you to success. Get in on the ground floor!
Inconsistant Managment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2015
The benefits are great and generous PTO. However, the work/ life balance they advertise is really only for management. They tell you telecommuting is available when you interview but once hired you find only managers are allowed to not come into the office.

Everyone wants to appear nice, so if you ask for feedback, management will say you are doing great. However, when you get a performance review, it's a race to find reasons not to give raises despite record profits in recent years.

Training is provided for existing employees annually to meet government regulations but new employees receive no training.

The turnover is extremely high. The average staff was there less than a year. Majority of staff are very young and makes some days feel like you are pledging a fraternity.

Managers are also relatively new, many having been bought during acquisitions in recent years. There are almost as many managers as staff and none follow "official" company policy on projects, each having their own, "my old company", way of doing things.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Good place to gain experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2014
Very political environment. You will gain a lot of experience, but don't expect anyone to train you. They will send you to national training, but on the job training is not the norm. If you are good at research and learning from text books and then putting into practice, you will work out well. If you believe in training staff, they will not respect you.
Pros
salaries and benefits are good
Cons
not a supportive learning environment.
Fast-paced, deadline driven industry with great advancement opportunities
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
A typical day could be in the office or out at the client. Management places auditors on engagements close to home. There are flexible hours available. Busy season can last past April. The culture is friendly and everyone does their best to provide new hires and Seniors with the help they need to succeed. Managers are swamped but still find time to answer questions. The Partners and Directors have an open door policy and work closely with the entire engagement staff. There is a lot of room for advancement and growth. Auditors at all levels will continually learn throughout their career.
Pros
training, management, advancement opportunities
Cons
busy season
great place to work
office services lead (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2014
a typical day at McGladrey includes helping the tax and audit personnel with anything they need, covering the reception desk as needed, reserve offices, cubicles, conference rooms and lunch as needed. I also helped co-workers from other offices with anything they needed - if I couldn't, I found someone who could. I had an excellent rapport with the maintenance engineers in the building and the restaurant personnel in the building. In my capacity as an Offices Services Lead, I was a "mini office manager" being the eyes and ears for my supervisor who was in another office.

The hardest part of the job was trying to be the best at whatever was asked of me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the busy times of the year which generally ran from January to the end of April and from August to October.
Pros
great benefit package and pto packages
Cons
very high turnover in employees
Intense public accounting audit internship during busy season.
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2014
Worked in several teams auditing financial information of clients. Worked with many different clients and all levels of management at clients and firm. Typical workweek was 75 hours, 6 days a week. Required high analytical skills, attention to details, and management of many projects simultaneously. Gained valuable experience learning new Excel skills and business best practices.
Pros
learned many applicable accounting skills.
Cons
intense workweeks.
Great people and work culture, but little communication from management
ASSURANCE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
I learned a great deal during my first busy season as a Assurance Associate at McGladrey. For the most part, management was very helpful and supportive during my first few months, as the learning curve was very steep and challenging.

However, lines of communication were weak between my entry-level colleagues and upper-level management. At the end of the the review period, I was told by my Career Advisor that I had met expectations and had done a great job during my first busy season. Many of the managers I had worked with gave me positive reviews and stated they were looking forward to working with me again. After all that, I was let go out of nowhere! As I stated before, very weak communication between myself and management.
Opportunity to Gain Useful Knowledge/Experience
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2014
Co-workers - varies with team assignments
The hardest part of the job - travel and hours
The most enjoyable part of the job - team interaction
What you learned - communication skills as we must communicate with the client and our team regularly, software applications, GAAP application
Large midsize firm with a small company feel.
Financial Services Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2013
Opportunity to work with large financial services clients holding net assets amounts ranging from $10 million to $2 Billion dollars. Client correspondence was at a premium, leading to an extensive knowledge base of client operations and strategies in both the Hedge fund and Private Equity industry. Co-workers and managers very approachable and highly skilled. The most enjoyable aspect of the position was the ability to understand and implement audit techniques to a diversified group of financial services establishments throughout the country.
Pros
talented staff, approachable executives.
Cons
flawed evaluation system.
Fast Paced Work environment with great client interaction
Senior Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2013
No work day at McGladrey was the same. I was able to gain valuable experience dealing with management team of clients and interacted directly with Controllers, CFOs, and other high ranking positions on a daily basis. The culture is great and has a modern feel to it, and you are constantly challenged to produce a high level of work in a timely fashion. The most enjoyable part of the position was the people that I worked with.
Fast paced enviroment with great coworkers.
Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2014
Working with McGladrey was an extremely challenging and rewarding position that I truly enjoyed. There were no two days the same. My responsibilities were extremely diverse from travel arrangements for the executives to processing of financials and related documents for the clients.
Pros
wide variety of responsibilities.
Working with fun colleagues
Sr. Associate/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2013
Overall, working at McGladrey is a good experience. Because of the nature of consulting job, it is very difficult to evaluate the company. However, the crew offsite is fun to work with. There are some colleague in the team who are good to work with. They are knowledgeable, and friendly. Traveling 4 days a week is pretty stressful.
Pros
very challenging
Cons
too much travel
Professional work environment
Experienced Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2014
Standard audit procedures performed. Management does assist staff and teaches audit procedures. Environment is somewhat cold. No real team camaraderie. Toughest part of job is high expectations and number of hours required. Most enjoyable part of the job is consideration of work/life balance.
Management is sub-par
Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 15, 2015
Overall, McGladrey was a difficult place to work. Work/Life balance did not exist and training was minimal. Very poor communication between offices.
Pyramid Scheme
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2014
There is no experience with prior clients due to the high turnover making each job uber stressful. Sensitive client issues are not communicated to the new teams. If you thrive on uncertainty McGladrey LLP is the place for you.
Pros
decent pay young workforce
Cons
don't count on pros for long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGladrey LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9