McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Employer Reviews

Great people and work culture, but little communication from management
ASSURANCE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
I learned a great deal during my first busy season as a Assurance Associate at McGladrey. For the most part, management was very helpful and supportive during my first few months, as the learning curve was very steep and challenging.

However, lines of communication were weak between my entry-level colleagues and upper-level management. At the end of – more... the the review period, I was told by my Career Advisor that I had met expectations and had done a great job during my first busy season. Many of the managers I had worked with gave me positive reviews and stated they were looking forward to working with me again. After all that, I was let go out of nowhere! As I stated before, very weak communication between myself and management. – less
You are in charge of your career
Technology Risk Advisory Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 3, 2014
There is no typical day, every day is different
You have smart co-workers and you to be willing to go above and beyond for your clients
Senior Tax Associate - High Net Worth (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2014
My typical day is working 10-12 hours a day. I have gained a great deal of knowledge since I began working for the firm.
Pyramid Scheme
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 12, 2014
Pros: decent pay young workforce
Cons: don't count on pros for long
There is no experience with prior clients due to the high turnover making each job uber stressful. Sensitive client issues are not communicated to the new teams. If you thrive on uncertainty McGladrey LLP is the place for you.
Intense public accounting audit internship during busy season.
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 26, 2014
Pros: learned many applicable accounting skills.
Cons: intense workweeks.
Worked in several teams auditing financial information of clients. Worked with many different clients and all levels of management at clients and firm. Typical workweek was 75 hours, 6 days a week. Required high analytical skills, attention to details, and management of many projects simultaneously. Gained valuable experience learning new Excel skills – more... and business best practices. – less
Fast paced enviroment with great coworkers.
Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 23, 2014
Pros: wide variety of responsibilities.
Working with McGladrey was an extremely challenging and rewarding position that I truly enjoyed. There were no two days the same. My responsibilities were extremely diverse from travel arrangements for the executives to processing of financials and related documents for the clients.
Fun, Nice environment, Nice people, Appreciate their people
Education Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Fun, busy, fast paced

New systems

Management not real friendly

Co-workers fun
This is a good place to start a career
Experienced Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2014
Pros: very good team work, small firm feel, exposure to mid size companies is amazing
Cons: onboarding for experienced hires needs improvement
Very good environment, great people, you will enjoy working here
Good learning environment
Technology Consulting Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2014
Work with middle market clientele in a variety of industries on ERP implementations.
Lots of on-the-job type training
no comment
ICS (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: no comments
Cons: no comments
ok firm. work long hours, traveled a lot. enjoyed working with different levels and lines of business personnel.
Professional work environment
Experienced Senior Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2014
Standard audit procedures performed. Management does assist staff and teaches audit procedures. Environment is somewhat cold. No real team camaraderie. Toughest part of job is high expectations and number of hours required. Most enjoyable part of the job is consideration of work/life balance.
An overall ok firm.
Audit Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2013
Pros: a mix of accounting cultures.
Cons: not enough staff to perform the work needed.
• Client industries: Not-for-Profit, A-133, Healthcare, ESOP, 401(k) and 403(b) Employee Benefit Plans, Real Estate, and Commercial.
 Running audit, review, and agreed upon procedures engagements under GAAP and GAS from planning to wrap up which included detail review of the lower level staffs work product.
 Generating and issuing consolidated and – more... combined financial statements under GAAP, GAS, and OMB Circular A133 standards.
 Managing teams of up to six auditors and tax preparers.
 Drafting high-level accounting and tax memos under ASC Topics- 360, 740, 805, 810, 815, 820, 840, and 976.
 Auditing and accounting for pledge and contributions receivables with and without time and or donor restrictions.
 Auditing purchase price allocations and tested goodwill valuation analysis under ASC Topic- 360.
 Auditing level 1 and 3 alternative investments in accordance with ASC Topic 820.
 Assisting clients in preparing the Schedule of Expenditures based upon the federal award and grant contract (SEFA).
 Auditing SEFA based on the compliance requirements of OMB Circular A133.
 Coordinating 990/990T, LLC, S-Corp, and C-Corp tax return preparation and prepared of accrual to cash basis conversions.
 Mentoring staff and assisted human resources with staffing policies, procedures, and evaluations.
 Maintaining engagement budgets, generation and collection of client billings. – less
Great benefits and culture.
Sr. Associate, Technology Risk Advisory Services (Current Employee), St.Louis MOAugust 19, 2013
McGladrey is an accounting, auditing, and tax assurance organization. I've not worked for McGladrey long but I can already tell they champion competive salary, work/life balance, and career development.
Right hand does not know what left hand is doing
confidential (Current Employee), MinneapolisAugust 14, 2013
After ten years working here, we have changed management structure too many times!
Energetic and diverse work atmosphere
Executive Assistant, International Office (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Overall a great company to work for and I learned something new everyday.
Working with fun colleagues
Sr. Associate/Consultant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 1, 2013
Pros: very challenging
Cons: too much travel
Overall, working at McGladrey is a good experience. Because of the nature of consulting job, it is very difficult to evaluate the company. However, the crew offsite is fun to work with. There are some colleague in the team who are good to work with. They are knowledgeable, and friendly. Traveling 4 days a week is pretty stressful.
Excellent firm
Assurance Associate (Current Employee), New YorkJune 27, 2013
Good firm with talented people. The summers are slow. Good training.
Large midsize firm with a small company feel.
Financial Services Assurance Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 9, 2013
Pros: talented staff, approachable executives.
Cons: flawed evaluation system.
Opportunity to work with large financial services clients holding net assets amounts ranging from $10 million to $2 Billion dollars. Client correspondence was at a premium, leading to an extensive knowledge base of client operations and strategies in both the Hedge fund and Private Equity industry. Co-workers and managers very approachable and highly – more... skilled. The most enjoyable aspect of the position was the ability to understand and implement audit techniques to a diversified group of financial services establishments throughout the country. – less
Fast Paced Work environment with great client interaction
Senior Assurance Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 7, 2013
No work day at McGladrey was the same. I was able to gain valuable experience dealing with management team of clients and interacted directly with Controllers, CFOs, and other high ranking positions on a daily basis. The culture is great and has a modern feel to it, and you are constantly challenged to produce a high level of work in a timely fashion. – more... The most enjoyable part of the position was the people that I worked with. – less
A firm in transition
Senior Tax Accountant (Former Employee), Charlestown, MAJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: on site cafeteria, social club
Cons: no set standards for the firm
McGladrey in Boston is really two firms combined. It is the McGladrey office formerly located on the North Shore and the legacy Caturano partners and staff that chose to stay post-merger. The building being occupied is the former Caturano building in Charlestown.

McGladrey, as a firm, opted to allow the Caturano firm several years to transition to – more... McGladrey firm standard software and policies. While this is a nice adjustment for legacy Caturano staff it was very difficult as a new hire coming in post-merger because there were two ways to prepare every single return. I would urge the office to develop a unified plan for tax preparation, review and sign-offs to create a more cohesive work environment. It was frustrating to start a new position, try to do well in that position and have to learn two different processes being applied differently by every manager and partner in the office. – less