McGladrey LLP

McGladrey LLP Employer Reviews

great place to work
office services lead (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 12, 2014
Pros: great benefit package and pto packages
Cons: very high turnover in employees
a typical day at McGladrey includes helping the tax and audit personnel with anything they need, covering the reception desk as needed, reserve offices, cubicles, conference rooms and lunch as needed. I also helped co-workers from other offices with anything they needed - if I couldn't, I found someone who could. I had an excellent rapport with the maintenance engineers in the building and the restaurant personnel in the building. In my capacity as an Offices Services Lead, I was a "mini office manager" being the eyes and ears for my supervisor who was in another office.

The hardest part of the job was trying to be the best at whatever was asked of me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the busy times of the year which generally ran from January to the end of April and from August to October.
High stress environment
Director (Senior Manager) (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
Cons: long work days, insurance benefits
In public accounting, there is no typical day. Every day brings a new adventure. Coming from a smaller firm, there was certainly a steep learning curve to adjust to a larger firm.
Opportunity to Gain Useful Knowledge/Experience
Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2014
Co-workers - varies with team assignments
The hardest part of the job - travel and hours
The most enjoyable part of the job - team interaction
What you learned - communication skills as we must communicate with the client and our team regularly, software applications, GAAP application
Good place to gain experience
Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 22, 2014
Pros: salaries and benefits are good
Cons: not a supportive learning environment.
Very political environment. You will gain a lot of experience, but don't expect anyone to train you. They will send you to national training, but on the job training is not the norm. If you are good at research and learning from text books and then putting into practice, you will work out well. If you believe in training staff, they will not respect you.
Great Workplace
Staff Accountant/CSR Small Business Accountant (Former Employee), Olympia, WASeptember 19, 2014
Leadership was amazing and I was able to expand on my skills. This was the first time working with a national company, so the resources were amazing!
Fast-paced, deadline driven industry with great advancement opportunities
Senior Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
Pros: training, management, advancement opportunities
Cons: busy season
A typical day could be in the office or out at the client. Management places auditors on engagements close to home. There are flexible hours available. Busy season can last past April. The culture is friendly and everyone does their best to provide new hires and Seniors with the help they need to succeed. Managers are swamped but still find time to answer questions. The Partners and Directors have an open door policy and work closely with the entire engagement staff. There is a lot of room for advancement and growth. Auditors at all levels will continually learn throughout their career.
Great people and work culture, but little communication from management
ASSURANCE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
I learned a great deal during my first busy season as a Assurance Associate at McGladrey. For the most part, management was very helpful and supportive during my first few months, as the learning curve was very steep and challenging.

However, lines of communication were weak between my entry-level colleagues and upper-level management. At the end of the the review period, I was told by my Career Advisor that I had met expectations and had done a great job during my first busy season. Many of the managers I had worked with gave me positive reviews and stated they were looking forward to working with me again. After all that, I was let go out of nowhere! As I stated before, very weak communication between myself and management.
You are in charge of your career
Technology Risk Advisory Consultant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 3, 2014
There is no typical day, every day is different
You have smart co-workers and you to be willing to go above and beyond for your clients
Senior Tax Associate - High Net Worth (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 13, 2014
My typical day is working 10-12 hours a day. I have gained a great deal of knowledge since I began working for the firm.
Pyramid Scheme
Experienced Audit Associate (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 12, 2014
Pros: decent pay young workforce
Cons: don't count on pros for long
There is no experience with prior clients due to the high turnover making each job uber stressful. Sensitive client issues are not communicated to the new teams. If you thrive on uncertainty McGladrey LLP is the place for you.
Intense public accounting audit internship during busy season.
Assurance Intern (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 26, 2014
Pros: learned many applicable accounting skills.
Cons: intense workweeks.
Worked in several teams auditing financial information of clients. Worked with many different clients and all levels of management at clients and firm. Typical workweek was 75 hours, 6 days a week. Required high analytical skills, attention to details, and management of many projects simultaneously. Gained valuable experience learning new Excel skills and business best practices.
Fast paced enviroment with great coworkers.
Executive Assistant/Office Administrator (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 23, 2014
Pros: wide variety of responsibilities.
Working with McGladrey was an extremely challenging and rewarding position that I truly enjoyed. There were no two days the same. My responsibilities were extremely diverse from travel arrangements for the executives to processing of financials and related documents for the clients.
Fun, Nice environment, Nice people, Appreciate their people
Education Compliance Coordinator (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNApril 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Fun, busy, fast paced

New systems

Management not real friendly

Co-workers fun
This is a good place to start a career
Experienced Assurance Associate (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNApril 3, 2014
Pros: very good team work, small firm feel, exposure to mid size companies is amazing
Cons: onboarding for experienced hires needs improvement
Very good environment, great people, you will enjoy working here
Good learning environment
Technology Consulting Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2014
Work with middle market clientele in a variety of industries on ERP implementations.
Lots of on-the-job type training
no comment
ICS (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: no comments
Cons: no comments
ok firm. work long hours, traveled a lot. enjoyed working with different levels and lines of business personnel.
Professional work environment
Experienced Senior Associate (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2014
Standard audit procedures performed. Management does assist staff and teaches audit procedures. Environment is somewhat cold. No real team camaraderie. Toughest part of job is high expectations and number of hours required. Most enjoyable part of the job is consideration of work/life balance.
An overall ok firm.
Audit Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2013
Pros: a mix of accounting cultures.
Cons: not enough staff to perform the work needed.
• Client industries: Not-for-Profit, A-133, Healthcare, ESOP, 401(k) and 403(b) Employee Benefit Plans, Real Estate, and Commercial.
 Running audit, review, and agreed upon procedures engagements under GAAP and GAS from planning to wrap up which included detail review of the lower level staffs work product.
 Generating and issuing consolidated and combined financial statements under GAAP, GAS, and OMB Circular A133 standards.
 Managing teams of up to six auditors and tax preparers.
 Drafting high-level accounting and tax memos under ASC Topics- 360, 740, 805, 810, 815, 820, 840, and 976.
 Auditing and accounting for pledge and contributions receivables with and without time and or donor restrictions.
 Auditing purchase price allocations and tested goodwill valuation analysis under ASC Topic- 360.
 Auditing level 1 and 3 alternative investments in accordance with ASC Topic 820.
 Assisting clients in preparing the Schedule of Expenditures based upon the federal award and grant contract (SEFA).
 Auditing SEFA based on the compliance requirements of OMB Circular A133.
 Coordinating 990/990T, LLC, S-Corp, and C-Corp tax return preparation and prepared of accrual to cash basis conversions.
 Mentoring staff and assisted human resources with staffing policies, procedures, and evaluations.
 Maintaining engagement budgets, generation and collection of client billings.
Great benefits and culture.
Sr. Associate, Technology Risk Advisory Services (Current Employee), St.Louis MOAugust 19, 2013
McGladrey is an accounting, auditing, and tax assurance organization. I've not worked for McGladrey long but I can already tell they champion competive salary, work/life balance, and career development.
Right hand does not know what left hand is doing
confidential (Current Employee), MinneapolisAugust 14, 2013
After ten years working here, we have changed management structure too many times!