McGladrey

McGladrey Employee Reviews

Great place to work with friendly coworkers
Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 14, 2015
Learned Audit Practice
Helpful management
Very friendly Coworkers
Hardest Part : learning to audit
enjoyable part : meeting new clients
Stressful Office Environment During Tax Season
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 29, 2015
Good place to work for a CPA. Admins have a so-so job here. Entry-level jobs here have some room for advancement. Overall a pretty good company. Lots of slow spells and lots of inefficiencies that middle management is unwilling to address. Frustrating most of the time.
Pros
Free food on weekends during tax season
Cons
Stress High
Great working environment
IT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Great working environment. Great place to really put your skill set to the test and where you can also challenge yourself.
Midsize public accounting firm
Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 19, 2015
-Able to gain vast experience with variety of engagements you encounter.
-Work in different teams all the time.
-Rarely at the office as the job demands you to be out at the client or out of town.
-Flexible hours during the summer
Pros
Experience different industries and good opportunity to develop your career in acocunting
Cons
Long hours during busy season. Amount of hours are not allocated appropriately.
CPA firm focused on the middle market.
Consulting Director (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 19, 2015
Very strong presence in the Midwest. Very strong client service culture and focus on business development. Lot's of opportunity for advancement.
Great place
Senior Risk Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2015
Work life balance was great and the flexibility of a consulting job like this made it a great place to work. If I was doing another kind of consulting, I probably would still be in this role.
corporate reorginazing
Consultant/ Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  washington dcAugust 5, 2015
Company restructure and change name confusing but promises to be a stronger corporation. International opportunities for job placement.
Pros
internationally known
Cons
proactive leadership
Great People
Consulting Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 25, 2015
A typical day requires attending a client site. The management and co-workers are great people who enjoy their jobs and take time to help you advance.
Director (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisJune 1, 2015
Loved my peers, have lots of appreciation for the company. A great 12 years. Loads of opportunity but challenges in communication throughout entire teams (partners and senior leaders to new hires)
Pros
People, great enjoyment when team all pulled together to achieve the impossible
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement despite the company's attempts to do so
Easygoing workplace where everyone was friendly and polite.
Receptionist (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 27, 2015
Often I found that my assignments differed from day to day. Some days, I wouldn't have anything to do besides sit at the front desk and wait for clients to come in. Other days though, I would be in charge of scanning dozens of tax forms and entering them into our FileSite program, or tidying up conference rooms, or handling certified mail. One task I did have everyday though, was to sort through mail and deliver it to everyone in the office.
In terms of technical skills, I learned how to use Microsoft's FileSite program for saving documents. Most of the skills I learned there were about working in office environments though. For instance, I became better at looking for things to do if I wasn't assigned anything at the moment. I also became better at directly communicating with people if I was unsure about something, or even if it was just finishing a task.
My co-workers were all very nice. They took time to explain how I do things. They were also willing to explain things again if I needed more time to understand. The few times when I did make a mistake on a task, they were understanding about it, instead of getting mad at me. Most of the accountants walking by my front desk would smile and say hi to me. Some even asked me how my day was going and engaged me in small talk. I always appreciated being acknowledged as a person.
I never felt like there was anything too hard about my job. If anything, I felt the hardest part was on days when I didn't have enough to do and got bored. But really, I felt like that job was very manageable. The most enjoyable part
  more... of my job was having positive interactions with clients and knowing I was making their time at McGladrey easier.  less
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks, nice people, manageable work load, easy commuting.
Cons
Not always given enough tasks to do during the day.
Encouraging Learning Environment
Tax Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 11, 2015
Office Head helps facilitate a positive learning environment while providing exposure to clients within tax department.
Tier II firm that is more like a local firm
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  DallasFebruary 15, 2015
Even though McGladrey is the 5th largest national accounting firm, it has the feel of a local or regional firm a fraction of it's size. Poor leadership and direction in the Central Region. Little to no standardization across the firm. No training available, not even on-line trainings. If you are used to the Big 4, DO NOT join this firm.
Pros
there are none.
Cons
see above.
Full- Time Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2014
We were always busy, always had work to do. Helped me to learn how to multi-task and become more organized.
Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 5, 2014
Great place to work in public accounting, friendly and motivated staff and great clients
Quality firm
Senior Associate (3 month secondment contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 26, 2014
Well managed with ample support for the employees.
You are expected to work very hard.
Wonderful environment with good potential growth
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 21, 2014
I enjoy working with McGladrey, the staff is extremely friendly and kind, the environment is ideal.
Good
Senior SharePoint Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 20, 2014
Good work life balance but managment focused on overall numbers.
Assurance Associate
Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 4, 2014
McGladrey praises work / life balance and you literally do not get that at all. You work as hard as you can for the company and give it all and they want more. Also, they want you to meet your charge hour goal, but if you don't make the required hours they get mad at you. But if you work all the time and make it, they say you work too many hours on a section and need to go quicker so the job realizes better gross profit. No matter what you do, you cannot win with this company. Lastly, when people would come on to campus to recruit us, the students would always ask "What is your favorite thing about the job" and without a beat every single person would say, "the people," well that makes so much sense as everything else about this job sucks and just so everyone knows. The people are really not that great above you either. You're staff level people are all great and you'll have good friendships with them, but supervisor levels and up, you'll always have problems with.
Pros
the people at your level
Cons
the people above you and work/life balance.
Daily Duties
Assurance Associate Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2014
• Auditing of financial statements for: Hedge funds, fund of funds, broker-dealer, non-profit organizations
• Drafted financial statements and ensured proper presentation and footnote disclosures
• Organized and coordinated necessary team meeting
• Completed engagements with deadline requirements
Easy
Unpaid Intern (Former Employee) –  New York,NYNovember 19, 2013
It was not a job, it was an internship. I gained experience by working with others. A typical day would be spent putting files in their proper places.