McGraw Hill Financial

McGraw Hill Financial Employee Reviews

Project Manager - McGraw-Hill
Project Manager - Test Building (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 5, 2017
I really enjoyed working for McGraw-Hill. Though I worked many 12 hour days, the work was exciting and challenging.

There were weekly deadlines that had to be met, and we were successful it accomplishing this every week.

I love being around people, talking to people, etc., and my coworkers were just as dedicated as I was to doing a great job. We worked hard, but we also laughed and had fun while working.

I enjoyed managing the test building team. The biggest lesson I learned was that your best, most accurate workers were not always the best trainers. People learn differently and at different paces, and some individuals either do not have the temperament to be good trainers.
Pros
A lot of meals purchased for us by the company due to long working hours, great benefits
Cons
It was too bad that our division was eliminated due to standardized state testing
A dangerous environment for employees. Talk the talk, but do not walk the walk.
Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2017
I do not recommend this organization to anyone who is looking for stable employment, professional advancement over time, or a career that endures for more than a few years.
Pros
many employee organizations; good benefits
Cons
Political and capricious
fun workplace
team leader (Current Employee) –  taylor station rdJanuary 17, 2017
i have learned a lot and their is room for advancement. the benefits are good and the people are great. This company really cares about their employees.
Inventory/OP Operator (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHDecember 14, 2016
in inventory pretty fast paced, continuously on the go. no room for error. The most enjoyable part of the job is the attitude/ personality of the Co workers.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
The Division I worked for for McGraw-Hill has been sold.
Planroom Admin and Conststruction News Reporter (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 9, 2016
McGraw_Hill was a wonderful company and my peers were amazing. I knew for years my position would be eliminated; so that dark cloud was always hanging over me until my position was finally eliminated. I was well taken care of by the company in my severance package.
Pros
Benefits - Fast Pace - Interesting - Variation from Day-to-Day
Cons
Watching people gradually let go due to restructuring.
Seasonal Positions Only
Digital Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHJune 7, 2016
No raises, old-boy network, everything is based on time in, not performance. Many employees do not posses any degree's or certifications. After graduating from school with my degree and working in the field for 5-6 years. I was placed in a warehouse role an advised to pursue a forklift position. I was also told I could re-apply for the job I was hired for when there is another opening. Why, I was the last to be hired in. This was also done to many other good employees who also decided leave Arrow.
Edit review
The McGraw-Hill Companies - Education Segment
Director, Education Segment Finance Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2017
Enjoyable workplace culture and collaborative work environment across all tiers of management and functions.
Beyond the day-to-day requirements, many interesting projects were assigned.
Basic Troubleshooting but pretty good environment to work at
Desktop Migrated Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Learn how to provide good customer service with basic configuration on Laptop and users home network.

Computer image was on point as to where the users and tech were able to work efficiently.

Management was very organized and was helpful throughout times there.
Pros
Ability to grow
Cons
Too many contractors
If you liked to drive in a territory as much as I did, this is a wonderful job. Going places and seeing great people. People who depend on seeing you.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Upper Midwest 14 statesFebruary 18, 2017
In the end when the business was declining I covered 14 states by car and called on all Bookstores, Book Wholesalers and Medical Bookstores. While I traveled over 2 million miles by car in 47 years I did call on every account I was asked to call on until they either started buying from wholesalers or they went out of business. I prefer this culture because I am not accountable to anybody but my sales manager and myself. I would say the hardest part of my job was keeping my bosses up to par on computer changes and helping them get up to speed. I never had a boss who was more proficient than I was on a computer. I was often asked to attend meetings that were attended mainly by Vice Presidents. But I loved the main part of my job that was calling on accounts and meeting with people. The people in the book business are the salt of the earth. And while the business itself was losing it's clientele and life for the average bookstore was a struggle these people who were mostly owners kept the faith and it was wonderful servicing them. I would have to say that what I learned is that while you can outlive some businesses you can never stop loving the people that keep it together. God bless the book industry.
Pros
See the interior of the Upper Midwest
Cons
The industry itself has limits because of the ebook industry
Great Project-Focused team
Senior Technical Writer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJJuly 13, 2016
An audit preparation team was assembled and run much like a rapid deployment force. Long hours, short deadlines, supported by hiring manager feeding us multiple meals per day as a way of rewarding our dedication.
Pros
Good management & free lunches
Cons
progressive comany to work with
Director of Operations / IT (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 1, 2016
Moved through the company management to director of print sits for producing Dodge Reports on construction. Field operatives would gather sit information and we would disseminate it into the specific categories required by our individual end users. All reports would be collated and packaged for mailing nightly and sent to the airport or post office for distribution.
Great experience.
Assistant Editor, First Grade Manuscripts (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 4, 2017
I was hired as a contract worker. I really enjoyed learning about how to write manuscripts and to edit them. I loved the fact that I was still involved in education, only I was helping write the textbooks that the students would use.
Changes, changes, changes
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2017
McGraw-Hill was once a wonderful company to work for. Unfortunately most of the divisions and groups have been sold and the only division left is Standard & Poors. S&P is a great place to work for but McGraw-Hill no longer exists.
Customer Sevice
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Blacklick, OHMarch 6, 2017
while at McGraw Hill I dealt with college bookstore orders. Learned how to navigate the DOS system, while taking orders from bookstores. It was a temp job with opportunities to advance within the workplace.
Productive and fun place to work
Sr Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Enjoyed working with Mcgrawhill Companies -Education.
Connect is a web application , so being a part of connect helped me to leverage my skills and knowledge .
Significant change since I left
Director of Finance & Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2017
Left the company over 10 years ago. The business and leadership has changed significantly since I left the company. I am not able to provide any insight.
Encourages for inside growth
News Coordinator Reporter (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2016
The company has an excellent tuition program and encourages employees to return to school and get a higher education in order to be promoted. Works with the employee on self-preservation.
Pros
Job tuition
Cons
Outsources jobs
Nice and Productive
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILAugust 30, 2016
This place was very nice to work at. I learned most of my ticketing system experience from here and it was very meaningful towards my career. The hard part of the job was keeping up with the calls. There was lots coming in on different days.
Pros
Relaxing atmosphere
Cons
Short project
Skillful, on going,hands on,busy, working environment
Associate clerk/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 12, 2014
Working at McGraw Hill, I got a chance to work more on my people skills. I learned a lot about organization lean structure. I became a stronger leader, worked a lot on patience. Management was a little shaky at times as far as higher chain of command. The over all environment was pretty cool. Everybody got along, and flexed to help others when needed. I would say the hardest part about the job would be, the fact we had to break our neck and beg for raises that were really appropriate. The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that it was actually hands on. We stayed busy learning each position that was available.
Pros
we got 40 hrs or better and pay was cool
Cons
seasonal
McGraw was a fun place to work
Executive Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2016
McGraw-Hill also offered me the opportunity to learn, grow and experience a time where work was fun. I was allowed to work and train with the VP of Cultural Diversity which was the greatest part of my job; allowing me to travel and work as she trained our sales staff. The administrative part of the job was easy because the learning experience from the training was what made the job so exciting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGraw Hill Financial. Our community is ready to answer.