McGuireWoods LLP Employee Reviews

Corporate culture
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 26, 2017
Liked working here. The attorneys I assisted were patient, kind yet at the same time had high expectations. It was a pleasure to attempt to exceed those expectations. The ongoing training was great!
Pros
hours, benefits, job responsibilities, progressive training
Cons
lack of access to supervisors
Typical Day
Associate Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2017
Everyone was always very encouraging and willing to help one another out. It was a great environment to learn so much in regards to both my excel skills as well as a team effort.
Great firm to work for
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 26, 2017
Great firm to work for. Very good staff support which helps accomplish projects/tasks accurately and efficiently. The open work stations at times made it difficult to concentrate and conduct confidential conversations with clients.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Accounting managers out of touch with staff
Fast Paced and Inivative Law Firm
Case Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 24, 2017
McGuireWoods LLP, was a great learning experience for me. This is a very large International law firm that deals with big named clients and various types law. The atmosphere was fast passed and highly stressful, as our office alone dealt with hundreds of case in just the litigation department. On a typical day I would monitor our service inbox, that essentially dealt with every pleading, document or email correspondence that was served on any of our attorneys. I would save, index and circulate the said documents, and then enter the corresponding deadlines or hearings associated with the document. I also would draft pleadings for the attorneys when asked and also handle any administrative tasks asked of me. Everyone from the mailroom staff all the way up to the managing partner were a delight to be around and very respectful, even though the job was highly stressful. The most difficult part of the job was the repetitiveness and the lack of change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of knowing what I was doing was important. All in all, working at McGuireWoods LLP was an experience I would never change and I would highly recommend to anyone searching to work in a fast paced and thriving environment.
Benefits
Cons
Employee growth
Great firm for the prospective lawyer
Litigation Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
McGuireWoods is an outstanding firm to gain first-hand legal experience for the prospective lawyer. Build your network and exposure to various areas of law to hone in on your desired practice areas. Outstanding culture and internship program.
NO job security for practice assistants in Charlotte office
Practice assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 15, 2016
Practice assistants in Charlotte never know from week to week whether they will have a job. No one wants to say anything for fear of being fired. Moral is at an all time low. New management changes for staff have given false expectations and absolutely NO sense of job security. Secretaries joke about whether their name plates will be by desk from week to week. Secretaries in the Charlotte office better watch their backs as management only listen to attorneys. You will be kicked to the curb no questions asked.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No job security
Not a good experience
Case Assistant (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreSeptember 18, 2015
The Baltimore office is by far the worst firm I've ever worked for. The managing partner is extremely high maintenance. Her expectations are highly unreasonable, therefore making any type of work/life balance almost non-existent here. Most employees are overworked and hate their lives. You're expected to sacrifice your life for a bunch of mean spirited, thoughtless people.

The office administrator is all about brown-nosing and chasing around after the managing partner than actually managing the office. She also spends most of her time talking negative about every employee that works there, even the ones who work hard and stay late when told. Emphasis on 'told' because no one 'asks' you in advance if you can stay late or work on weekends, they just expect you to cancel plans with family/friends. Everything is a rush, due last minute and needs to be completed ASAP.

The Baltimore office has cemented a reputation for treating staff like they're expendable. They have an established history of a revolving door of associates and staff. Extremely high turnover rate. Please BEWARE!!!!!
Pros
Nothing!
Cons
Everything!
Great People with hearts of Gold
Helpdesk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2015
No matter how busy the day is there is always someone there to lift you up when your down. Everyday is different and challenging.
Would recommend the Firm to anyone who would thought about working there.
Pros
People
Cons
Periods of high stress.
Excellent environment to learn.
Supervisor, Application Delivery (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 20, 2015
The IT team offers a unique opportunity to grow professionally with experts in various fields.
Experienced Legal secretary with expertise in enhancing attorney effectiveness, providing information and management support.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 7, 2014
-Experience as a Paralegal, Legal Researcher and Underwriter.
-Excellent ability to multitask, and work well under pressure, prioritizing and managing tasks simultaneously.
-Strong verbal and written communication skills, outstanding organizational and planning ability.
-Efficient, reliable, and productive. Able to grasp complex ideas; creative and intuitive.
Community involved workplace
Business Administrator- IT Procurement (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 7, 2014
Great people to work with and for. Tight deadlines and high expectations for perfection.
Productive and nice place to work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2014
I enjoyed working at McGuireWoods LLP. It was a great place to work and I learned alot about Toxic Tort / Environmental Litigation. I was disappointed to be a victim of downsizing/corporate global restructuring. The most enjoyable part of my job was my relationship with my attorneys. We worked well together and worked as a team.
Pros
Extremely professional set up, morale of office was always good and upbeat, A great place to have worked.
Cons
New practice area, Asbestos Litigation, I was not familiar with upon acceptance of this job, I learned and I strived and successfully completed my job and daily tasks.
Excellent company
Records/Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VANovember 15, 2013
wonderful place of employment. No complaints at all. typically 8 hour work days. Co-workers are very friendly and loyal. The job was very simple and the tasks were always manageable
Pros
loyal coworkers, nice work environment, take care of employees
McGuireWoods LLP
Corporate Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 18, 2013
An excellent place to work with wonderful attorneys and secretaries.
Pros
Wonderful attorneys
Professional environment
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 2, 2013
My experience with McGuireWoods has been quite positive. I am treated professionally by all of my colleagues, while being held to a high standard of work.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McGuireWoods LLP. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3