McHenry County College Employee Reviews

Excellent College - Student Success focus
Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILAugust 13, 2016
A very good higher education institution nestled in a county that does not particularly support college, nor this institution's mission. In spite of that, it is able to flesh out the few who do support education and leverage that to be the best it can be. State support is dwindling, yet this college finds ways to not only keep its doors open, but continue delivering value to students, both young and old.
Pros
Great work/life balance, 4-day summer work week, friendly people
Cons
Dwindling financial support from state, local population not particularly supportive of education
Great place to coach!
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILFebruary 2, 2017
Great place to coach. Athletic director is very active with all teams. Great relationship with other coaches and players. Athletic program is on the rise!
Community College
Student (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILFebruary 23, 2017
I had a successful two years at this community college. I played for the volleyball team and ended with a good GPA. The teachers were nice and fair.
Customer Service that leaves them trusting
Instructional Media Technician (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILMay 16, 2016
The most rewarding part of my job is providing, fast, efficient, problem solving solutions to customers requests. This allows the client (Customer) to feel secure that an IT professional will help make them look really good to their constituents. And if they are successful then I have been successful.
Also, organization of equipment is something overlooked these days. But more and more people need to get a job done quickly and efficiently and without organization of equipment tasks can lose their rhythm and be bogged down in finding that one piece that cold save the time and save the day for a client.
Pros
Communication and teamwork
Cons
Trying to keep on top of the clean up of events
It was a fun place to work, but it lacks structure and guidance!
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, IllinoisAugust 18, 2015
I learned a lot and had great co-workers. The only problem is that the IT department lacks structure, and don't have any plans for each day of work. We had assignments that had to be redone a couple of times due to the lack of supervision or because they didn't have anything else for us to do. Also, we always had a problem getting supplies that we needed to complete assignments. For example, we need to clean and do cable management in all the computer labs at the college, but we didn't have enough supplies to do so. After we ask for more, we had to wait for the ordering and shipment of the things we ask, or just make do with the supplies we had until the new stuff came in.
Pros
Great co-workers, hands on job
Cons
Lack of a plan for daily assignments.
It was a friendly environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIMarch 10, 2016
Everyday I assisted students to see advisors. Occasionally, I would clean the desks and organize paperwork. It was a fast pace work environment.
Pros
My job was at my school.
Cons
low amount of hours.
Excellent facility always putting education first
Educator/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Main campusMarch 17, 2015
Outstanding program that I have enjoyed teaching very much, good teamwork between administers and staff. I enjoy much satisfaction in educating students and following their progress from their clinical experience to their ASCP certification.
Pros
Good salary. Work with many people of different levels of education
Cons
Late nights
productive and progressive place to work.
Adjunct Instructor/Art Foundations (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJune 2, 2012
Loved the atmosphere of higher learning. Very progressive and latest technology available for staff and students.
Pros
progressive culture
Cons
parking
Participated in Federal Work Study while attending school
End User Lab Monitor - Federal Work Study (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILMay 14, 2013
It was a good opportunity to work in a computer lab and work on staying current with troubleshooting computers and printers. Also managed to find time to use Active Directory to assist students with resetting passwords and connecting to new network resources. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people every hour and occasionally dealing with people who became regulars by choosing to come to my lab instead of going to others for the assistance I would render to them. Short term projects might include moving and reconnecting new computers, setting up AV equipment in classrooms, or documenting recurring connectivity issues across two labs.
Pros
Different things to do on any given day.
Cons
The job was only fifteen to twenty hours a week.
Excellent place to work.
Interim Vice President Physical Facilities (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 16, 2014
Manage all aspects in facilities such as plumbing, HVAC, and electrical problems. I have a strong aronomy background, as well as, management staffing.
Great co-workers poor supervision
Building Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILMarch 21, 2013
The college is going thru a great change in staff hopefully for the better the college needs it.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
moral low
What I Have Learned
Traffic Safety Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILOctober 14, 2013
I have learned all aspects of the Traffic Safety program including three interactive computer programs. I enjoy working with the court program and assisting people. However, the college has too many senior administration and does not seem to appreciate the mid-level staff and rarely promotes from within.
Teachers are awesome and Faculty and Staff are fun to work with.
Inern Web Designer (Current Employee) –  Crystal LakeFebruary 17, 2012
I am currently working here as part of an internship. And I love it. The faculty is really nice and very cooperative. I get to see my friends right after I'm done working and sometimes I work from home due to technical difficulties.
Pros
work from home
Cons
unpaid internship
Great people to work with
Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  crystal lake, ILJune 26, 2014
I worked the night shift at the college and I did all the painting of the classrooms and hallways. Worst part of the job was the night shift with having young kids it was hard.
Best job ever!
ASSISTANT TAX SITE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJuly 18, 2014
I would still be there today if it weren't for moving 1200 miles away! I loved going into work, constantly learning, and helping others on a daily basis. My manager and co-workers were/are irreplaceable!
Was a fun job with good co-workers
Custodian (Current Employee) –  crystal lake ilJune 11, 2013
cleaned the kitchen scrubbed floors and cleaned and shined stainless steel you learn something every day easier way of doing something
Pros
the price of health insurance
Cons
it was at night
Tutored Maths
Math tutor (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILMay 23, 2012
Tutored Maths, worked with professors. I met different kind of students. Working with all the ethnicities and personalities. Also, referred to students by professors.
Math Tutor
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILMay 19, 2014
I enjoyed this job every day,
I really like to help students,I like math
I learned interact with different ethnicity
I was working with teachers, it was great experience
Very calm and relaxed work environment
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILNovember 4, 2012
Routine schedules set with custom work set
Ability to learn while on the field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McHenry County College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2