McKee Foods Corporation

McKee Foods Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

High work standards and family values. Excellent benefits.
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Gentry, ARSeptember 29, 2015
I enjoy the work ethics and encouragement received from the management team and co-workers at McKee Foods.

Most of my day requires close attention to helping keep our work environment clean. Food safety is most important at McKee Foods. Our customers can rest assured that our products are high quality and safe for their family.

The most difficult part of my job is keeping up with the sanitary needs of so many employees. The breaks are very short and most of the employees have little time to clean up after themselves. There is need for more staff in our department.
Pros
Great profit sharing benefits; free snack cakes; employee fitness center
Cons
Short breaks
Distribution (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, WVDecember 30, 2015
Company people are nice and productive not like some places. I enjoyed this job more than any other would recommend to anyone willing to work hard.
Pros
Good management
Cons
A lot of stops
Great place to get a start and explore
Technical Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNMay 4, 2015
McKee Foods has been run fairly well by the McKee family. Most positions have a decent work/life balance. The job had several challenges and possible avenues since you tended to work with a variety of groups. The only real issue was the lack of growth possibilities for my particular position that didn't require completely changing what I did. Still, it provided a decent first career and for many has been a life-long journey.
Pros
Decent work hours, compensation, friendly co-workers
Cons
Some positions limited in job growth, can suffer financial swings due to ingredient or transportation costs.
Solid, stable company
Shipping Utility/Lift Truck Operator II (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNApril 8, 2015
McKee Foods Corporation has been a family owned company since its beginning in the 1950's. It steadily grew into one of the largest snack cake producers in America. During the late 1990's and into the new century McKee Foods growth exploded and they found themselves as "King of the Snack Cake Hill." With this rapid growth came growing pains. Up until its growth spurt, the company had remained fairly small in comparison to its competitors even though it had earned respect in the industry. After the growth spurt, the family owned operation had to struggle to keep up with the ever changing demands of the marketplace, the needs of its employees whose numbers had more than doubled seemingly overnight, and also the jabs and punches from its competition who had previously not taken them seriously. The only problems I had with the company stemmed from this rapid growth. It seemed they just could not handle it at first and some in management were involved in what appeared to be a power struggle. This led to experimenting with personnel, promotions of non qualified employees, and the termination of some who did not fit a certain agenda.
Aside from the aforementioned, McKee Foods was a good place. The pay was very competitive. The benefits were top notch. the employees were, for the most part, supportive and team oriented.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Can be very stressful.
package technician and back up machine operator (Current Employee) –  Stuarts Draft, VASeptember 18, 2015
Hoping you are on your own line that you was hired for because they are always short handed. I learned alot about food safety. There is alot of management there . I doubt if I worked there 5 years I would meet them all. My co workers on my regular line get along great but on other lines there seems to be animosity over something
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
The set schedule is 2nd
Mckee Foods
Packaging Tech (Current Employee) –  Collegedale, TnJune 18, 2015
The only things I can truly say good about this company is that it pays well and most or all lines are off Fridays and 1st and 2nd shift are guaranteed Saturdays off. 4O1k.

The company has benefits, but the deductible is so high, it's actually not a benefit. The company does not care for employees or customers. they are more concerned with money. Management is a complete joke, no one knows how to manage. Management is not held responsible for their wrong doing, hourly employees are held to an extremely high standard, whereas, management is treated as if they were still kids getting spoon fed. The policy is a joke, they only follow it when it can benefit management. employees are very catty and conniving. Management is very retaliatory and vengeful, even though in orientation they specifically say there will be no retaliation from management.

I would say I am surprised this company is still standing after all these years, with how bad they treat their employees, but since I have experiecne there, I now know why. Why? Because employees who have been there for 10, 20, 30 even 40 years are going to live out their lives there, so there is no reason they see necessary to want or even request change.

I recommend this company to only those people who have absolutely nowhere else to go and desperately need employment.
Pros
Good pay. Most or all weekends off. 4O1k
Cons
Too many to put here.
Great Place to work and health conscience environment
ESD Technician (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNOctober 24, 2015
Cleaning mixers, ovens, cutter tables etc.
The importance of passing inspections free of bacteria.
Management and co-workers were like my family.
This place is a joke and the McKee children running it should be ashamed!!!
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Collegedale, TNJanuary 27, 2016
This company is very money driven, very little regard for all the employees who work there. I am sure O.D. himself is ashamed of what this company has turned into. If the company has water and power you better be there! Ice on the mountain and you can't get down? Here's a point on your record. Rushed to the hospital after eating the food the company served you during their Christmas lunch? Here's a point. Go into labor while at work? Here's another point. Most companies will shut down and send their employees home when the weather conditions turn bad but not McKee they expect you to be there because they have to fill their pockets. They brag on how they have never had layoffs, why you ask? Because they will go on a hiring spree, shut down production lines forcing the displaced employees to accept horrible alternate positions some even going to a different shift. If you are unable to accept the alternate job you are forced to quit, all while the newer employees who were just hired in are taking the place of those who could have been placed in those positions. Supervision is laughable, there is a handful of supervisors that know what they are doing the rest are usually in the break room or the office. They don't handle situations, most of the time they will have one or two people from their crew to manage everything, why not just make those people the supervisor if you're going to allow them to do your job for you?! Anti-bullying policy? HA yeah right! I have had several friends harassed and threatened both verbally and in writing yet when you go to supervision/hr with it they  more... do their "investigation" and then it is swept under the rug. So what happens then? You have just created a hostile work environment and you now have a target on your back. It's like working with a group of drama filled middle school girls. The sound of profit sharing was great during orientation until you break it down and realize you aren't getting any profit sharing they are simply paying you for all of your clock out breaks through the year. You see back in the day you did not have to clock out for your lunch and you received a honest profit sharing bonus, but now the "bonus" is based around how many hours you work, add it up people it's your clock out break it's not a profit sharing bonus at all. Depending on where you work you are at risk of developing injuries, most commonly carpal tunnel, how convenient that the company will no longer pay for the many surgeries their employees have to endure because you have to get those cakes in the box. It's a very painful and pricey procedure that will eventually cost you your job and make a lot of every day tasks much harder. The pay is good, the insurance is a joke, the policies are a joke, management is a joke. Honestly the only reason to work there is if you are hard up to get your bills paid, which most people there are! The ONLY reason this place got a single star is because it's required.  less
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything about the company
Good company to work for
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 13, 2014
Typical day would include working with a Distributor, coaching and encouraging them to look for sales opportunities to increase their overall profits. One way this could be done is through speaking with store management showing them promotional materials and gain their support.
Learned how to build strong relationships with people through listening to their concerns and interests.
Management and co-workers were very supportive, open dialogue.
Over the years devloping new classes of trade was always a challenge. Telling our story over and over to break down the barriers. In the end, attaining that business was always a highlight of the job. Another enjoyable part was showing the Distributors how to increase bottom line profits.
Pros
good company values that alined with mine
Cons
upward mobility constraints based on reloction
independant workplace and enjoyable.
Independant Distributor (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIOctober 23, 2015
Very good company to work for. They provide tools for distributors to succeed. Position requires you to work at fast pace and is physically demanding.
Productive place to work
Distributor (Current Employee) –  Collegedale, TNAugust 29, 2015
The Company gave me great experience on learning to become a great distributor. I had a lot of contact with store managers and thoroughly enjoyed working with everyone.
Mature company with well known product for consumer purchase
Packaging Technician (Current Employee) –  Collegedale, TNMay 22, 2012
My current job is repetitive and consists of regular quality control practices through inspection of product to the consumer base. I have learned to work more efficiently with various approaches to manufacturing practices. I have always been a team player and take ownership of my work scope. I enjoy meeting different people from all walks of life in my daily routine, being dependable and having the ability to have and show initiative with my job as well as encouraging my coworkers. The hardest part of my job is when equipment malfunctions and isn't properly repaired/replaced or done so in a timely manner.
Pros
401k
Cons
incomplete 40 hr work schedule, little opportunity to grow within the company
Very professional company
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNJuly 31, 2015
Enjoyed working with fellow employees. I learned to use the computer program oracle. The most difficult part of day was sitting behind my desk all day. Most enjoyable part of job was having access to supervision if I had any questions.
Great place to work!
Packaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNJuly 9, 2013
I worked for this company for 11 years and had a great experience. Depending on what area you work in it can be very physically demanding. Hours may get cut if orders are down but you can usually find another position to work in if you need the hours. The people are awesome!! I have never worked anywhere that my coworkers were like my family, but it is definitely that way at McKee. I made some really great friends while working there.

Advancement is not that easy. I had a very good work record while at McKee and still was turned down for every job that I applied for. Very frustrating!! I would probably still be there had I been able to move forward with the company.
Good benefits, Job security
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNOctober 26, 2013
Very family oriented workplace, but advancement becomes very limited without a college degree.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
orders vary greatly; 1 week you have 50+hrs, the next only 30.
not a great place to work for
packaging technician (Former Employee) –  collegedale tnJuly 12, 2015
working with my hands more than my feet was a problem, production without a forklift i'm not cut out for making cakes and packaging them in a timely manner i could not keep up with.
Pros
was'nt to far from home
Cons
hours and days of work, and the people was bad
Enjoyed my days here
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Collegedale TnNovember 24, 2014
McKee Foods Corporation was possibly the best job I have ever had the pleasure of doing. I stayed busy on a daily basis. The management and co-workers were in a word awesome. The hardest part of the job at times was organization of responsibilities because everything seemed to be urgent. I enjoyed being constantly challeneged by my supervisor at McKee.
Packaging tech very repetitive
ex packaging tech February 2015 (Former Employee) –  collegedaleApril 1, 2015
McKee is not what they portray. Not a big happy family,supervisors are intimidated by the minorities' and the employees are vengeful and contemptuous.If I could I would rate this company in minus stars.
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
supervisors lack supervisory skills
a very close-knit work enviroment,great coworkers and perks
Team Leader/Process Operator II (Current Employee) –  Collegedale, TNNovember 18, 2012
I've enjoyed my time working for this company,each work day is what you make of it. I've learned a lot about teamwork,and how to interact with management.
good
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Collegedale, TNAugust 28, 2014
good, required fields, management was nice, co-workers were nice for the most part, night shift was hard to get used to, enjoyed weekends off