McKinley Employee Reviews

Amazing People
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, FLJuly 26, 2017
I loved McKinley, best company and people ever to work with!! I miss you guys and look forward to more growth in the future. Good luck to everyone!!!
Nightmare
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 24, 2017
Worst place to work no directions how to do things , horrible , they if you don't go with the flow doing bad things and lying to residents you are out,dealing with old employees is very hard , management is horrible they want you to kiss their foots to get in their group , don't listen new employees , believe me don't even think about to work with Mckinley,,,,,, you'll find out ,,,,treat new employees like animals
Horrible
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 6, 2017
Mckinley expects you to work 24 hours around the clock, whether or not you have already worked 50-60 hours that week. Management is awful as well. If you have a family that you want to spend time with, you may be able to a few hours on Sunday.
Make sure you never make a decision without checking with management first, they don't allow you to be the Community Manager of your own property.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Hours, Etc.
Favoritism
Customer Care Associate/ Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 4, 2017
This company is extremely unorganized. I had my days when I loved my job and days when I hated my job. I would not recommend anyone working here unless you are a suck up. If you are not a favorite, you are treated very poorly. I was always told that I was a favorite but there's no room for growth, no recognition, only negative feedback if given.

That's all I have to say...
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Favoritism
A rewarding place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 4, 2017
This is my second review. Don't know why the first one hasn't shown up. I started as senior tech anticipating a maintenance supervisor position. Year and a half later I was recognized for my dedication and achievement and became a supervisor. Any job can be heartless and soul crushing if you have no good work ethic. The techs I have seen come and go want to work their own schedule, their own pace and don't want any expectations of quality or dedication and especially responsibility. Showing up for work late on a regular basis, half asleep, questioning why they have to do something if they don't feel like it, constantly on cell phones and the list goes on. And then they have the nerve to complain someone is picking on them. McKinley is a good company to work for and the key word here is work.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
On call but that comes with the territory
Just like everyone says
Senior maintenance texh (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIApril 1, 2017
Very hostile environment, worked there a month doing maintenance and everyday they made you feel like your job was in jeopardy. I was a senior maintenance staff, and just hated every minute of it, I could tell something wasn't rite, well soon after I was fired but the whole time they never came to me and said anything about performance or anything. Very high turnover rate. All the post here are dead on, they care nothing about employees and they run the properties very poorly.
Pros
Pay is the best in the business.
Cons
You wont be there long to enjoy it....
Worst experience
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 10, 2017
You get no support, their training is a joke, and if you ask for additional training on something it will fall on deaf ears. There's so much turn around that all you do is clean up other people's messes. Procedures, policies, and even software change multiple times a month with no warning or training. Also the way some of the residents are treated is shameful, I can't believe there aren't more Fair Housing issues.
Pros
Compensation is fair
Cons
Horrible management, constantly changing procedures, no support
Only work for McKinley as a last resort
Asst. Manager/Rental assistant (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIFebruary 2, 2017
I had some great supervisors but they were ALL fired. Upper management is simply hostile. They don't care about the residents, only doing things as cheap as possible. This is not a career job. I loved my job helping low-income people obtain housing, but McKinley doesn't care about the people. You'll only work for them until you find another job - I promise.
Pros
Some good immediate supervisors
Cons
Upper management fires folks with ethics.
this company has no heart
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 31, 2016
if u make it a week without hanging yourselve, don't worry they will do it for u within two. so save yourselve from this devil company and go somewhere else that will treat u like a human being
Pros
there isn't any
Cons
they will kick u to the curb in a heartbeat
Great Enviroment!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNDecember 17, 2016
This place was as professional as you can expect from a realty company. The owner is amazing and she makes you feel apart of the team. The environment makes you feel like you aimed and focused.
Poor management, very subjective
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Michigan, IndianaDecember 10, 2016
Bad management and high turnover rate. High expectations with little resources. Management was very subjective. The didn't grade off work performance but from attitude.
Cons
Push to much and there never happy
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 19, 2016
The system the used to manage the property very poor.
If today the said something, they change there mind the next day.
They don't give you any training or show you how there system work or explain anything .
For a big corporations there no support from any one
Pros
Good team
Cons
No support, really bad system, poor upper management.
Soul crushing place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIOctober 18, 2016
List of cons: Terrible management. They don't care about employees at all. They allow supervisors to demean employees and even when multiple employees bring it to management's attention, nothing gets done about it. They want things done fast, not right. They'd rather have an apartment look good even if it means something major is wrong with it. They want to bandaid everything and you get in trouble if you actually spend the time fixing it correctly. They hire in new, inexperienced people that make more money than those who have been there over a year. Honestly, it's the worst job I've ever had and I've never felt so unappreciated by an employer. You're just another replaceable body and if they don't like you, they will force you out. One thing done wrong overturns all the good things. If you do something you're proud of...too bad, it's not good enough. Don't work here unless you don't have a soul because they will crush it.
Pros
Literally nothing.
Cons
See above.
Productive, Busy Place To Work. Awesome Staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 7, 2016
Everyday is a busy day. I learned to prioritize. Management was understanding. Co-workers were awesome. A lot of residents to handle. But working with my co-workers made it go by faster and it was entertaining working with them
Pros
Lunch From Managers
Cons
Weekend Shifts
Do not put yourself through this
Senior Sales Associate/ Customer Support Manager, (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIJuly 30, 2016
McKinley dominates the rental market in Southeast Michigan. They recruit a lot and sell their recruits on the fabulous pay and benefits. However, they have a company culture that is based on the idea that if you apply a ton of pressure to employees and reach for unobtainable goals that you will achieve amazing things (they call this the "Big Fat Audacious Goals") The problem with this philosophy is that they rapidly burn out exceptional people and come to see people as disposable commodities that can be used until there is a cheaper option.
I worked for McKinley as a sales associate and customer service manager for a mere 5 months and 3 weeks (an average lifespan of employee there; as full benefits & pay raises kick in at 6 months) In that short time I was promoted twice, took my property from 88% to 100% full; and had a renewal rate of 90%. My performance was lauded and praised. Nonetheless, it was made clear that my job was never safe, and that no matter how well I did or how many goals I unexpectedly reached, that my team and I should always be ding MORE.
During those same 5 months; my property went through 6 different regional managers. Each manager came in on their first day and fired someone. This was a tactic used to establish authority & cause staff to feel insecure (they truly believe that if an employee feels secure that they don't work as hard. Insecurity and stress are believed to lead people to work harder & place the company first. Stress is supposed to bring out everyone's best; so it would be artificially caused if it appeared to be absent. When I was supervising
  more... staff, I was told to "never let them feel comfortable")
I was a casualty of the last regional manager change. I never had a conversation with this man; and the person who he assigned to terminate me professed that he didn't want to, nor knew why I was being eliminated. My guess was that I had just had a raise and my benefits would soon be kicking in. This seemed to be how the others that had been fired had been selected: as a means of cost control.
Be aware that accepting a position with McKinley will likely result in constant stress, threats about your job and all the jobs at your property, mind games aimed at increasing productivity, far more hours worked than promised, a sacrifice of your personal life, uprooting your life, constant office politics, and likely termination prior to your benefits or salary raising. If you continue to look for jobs while you are employed and are using this a bridge in between other jobs than it might be worth it. If you are looking for long term employment with a solid company: then run, don't walk, from this company.
Pros
money
Cons
disregard for employees
Loved my job
Senior Operation Specialist (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 22, 2016
I traveled all over to new property take overs, this was my dream job, training new team members, helping employees succeed at their jobs, and improving property's.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Never was home
Property manager
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 16, 2016
To assist with the sell of the community and rehab during the time. Great team building and training during the time.
It's a job
leasing consultant (Former Employee) –  Park PLaceMay 17, 2016
Never think you'll feel good about your job, you're there to make money not help people, if you aren't making money gtfo. Job was pretty easy at it's core but with management constantly looking over your shoulder there was more hassles then was needed.
Very supportive and professional!
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 21, 2016
I used to manage a community for McKinley and the experience was very satisfying. The are very detail oriented and knowledgeable about management. They understood the needs of the community and the residents and their cooperation towards offering an outstanding customer service was their main goal. If they had other communities to manage in the South Florida area, I'll probably will still working for them...Great Company/Excellent Working Team!
Pros
Understandable and supportive.
Cons
Sometimes extremely demanding.
Fun place to work where no day is ever the same.
Art Director/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Chariton, IAApril 19, 2016
The typical day there is very easy.
I learned what goes into growing a small company
Management is always trying to expand your knowledge
Great Coworkers
Meeting deadlines
The people you work with are the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Great Group of co-workers
Cons
Not much room for Growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McKinley. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2