McKinley Employee Reviews

Very supportive and professional!
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 21, 2016
I used to manage a community for McKinley and the experience was very satisfying. The are very detail oriented and knowledgeable about management. They understood the needs of the community and the residents and their cooperation towards offering an outstanding customer service was their main goal. If they had other communities to manage in the South Florida area, I'll probably will still working for them...Great Company/Excellent Working Team!
Pros
Understandable and supportive.
Cons
Sometimes extremely demanding.
Productive, Busy Place To Work. Awesome Staff
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 7, 2016
Everyday is a busy day. I learned to prioritize. Management was understanding. Co-workers were awesome. A lot of residents to handle. But working with my co-workers made it go by faster and it was entertaining working with them
Pros
Lunch From Managers
Cons
Weekend Shifts
Fun place to work where no day is ever the same.
Art Director/Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Chariton, IAApril 19, 2016
The typical day there is very easy.
I learned what goes into growing a small company
Management is always trying to expand your knowledge
Great Coworkers
Meeting deadlines
The people you work with are the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Great Group of co-workers
Cons
Not much room for Growth
It's a job
leasing consultant (Former Employee) –  Park PLaceMay 17, 2016
Never think you'll feel good about your job, you're there to make money not help people, if you aren't making money gtfo. Job was pretty easy at it's core but with management constantly looking over your shoulder there was more hassles then was needed.
Property manager
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 16, 2016
To assist with the sell of the community and rehab during the time. Great team building and training during the time.
Please stay away, not kidding.
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 15, 2014
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. No support from anyone and they definitely have their favorites and if you're not one of them you're screwed. Management was so terrible, she called in all the time and I ended up working by myself for over 3 months after she was fired for stealing. I put in my notice, but then they finally hired someone and it looked like things were turning around and she wanted me to stay. After all my sacrifice, McKinley told her no she couldn't keep me. She didn't understand why and neither did I. They pay well because that's the only way they can sucker someone in. Not a good company at all!!!
Pros
compensation
Cons
regional managers, corporate, the whole company
If you are not working for a family member or a friend... DON'T try here
Personal Care Attendant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 10, 2016
There is not a good thing to say about this outfit, They process the checks from the state and pay you every other week. Its all down hill from there, They provided no support and only the training required by the state.
Pros
paid bi-weekly by direct deposit
Cons
no support, you never see them unless THEY need something
Worked Hard & Fast
Assistant Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FLApril 15, 2016
I learned very valuable experience here & I will move on with great knowledge & a few grey hairs. All in all I learned a lot and fast paced.
not normal
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 27, 2015
good company poor management , they do not consideren any ideas coming from outside the managent office all the tell you if do this and do this and that because we paid for that .
Where do i start...
AFD (Former Employee) –  M. ShoresAugust 28, 2014
Stay away at best. Sure do talk a good game but you WILL get the short end of the stick. Giving up a very respectful job to come to this place and ending in regret fullness. Looking forward to making a difference you will soon be over shadowed by get it done now and how dare you ask for assistance. Being salary in my first week I was asked to work the weekend totaling 70 hrs only to follow up with 65 hrs the next following week .You are not joining a team in place but simply replacing a feed up employee and a recent firing of a employee who's spot needs to be filled. I never had a position i didn't like even when the odds were stacked against me but this company showed me that they are still out there and now I know what NOT to do unfortunately. Upper management will sell you the stars only to leave and hit you long range with "as per our conversation" and "this will result in" terms. You want work done? just e-mail corporate and all work will stop till its resolved never minding whats happening at ground zero and what we had to do or finish. I write this very beside myself as i wanted to make a change but I was never givin a chance to in my short weeks employed watching 3 people get fired or walk also making me the 4th to exit shortly after.

Suggestions...Undercover Boss also "Learn what you say"
Pros
hoby
Cons
long hours, no training, i told you so
Take a ticket for the unemployment line
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 11, 2014
They pay well but your LIFE will be McKinley. Have a family, might as well forget about them. As manager I was doing the work of 3 to 4 people yet they expect perfection. corporate sets the market rates yet if you lease at their rates then you're going to be grilled for drops in rent. You're not safe with this company even if you manage to keep your community full, as I did average occupancy 98-100%. Say one wrong thing and you will be put on the black list, so the moment that happens, your days are numbered. Good luck to whoever decides to ignore these reviews, YOU WILL NEED IT.
Pros
pay
Cons
long hours, job security
Do not put yourself through this
Senior Sales Associate/ Customer Support Manager, (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIJuly 30, 2016
McKinley dominates the rental market in Southeast Michigan. They recruit a lot and sell their recruits on the fabulous pay and benefits. However, they have a company culture that is based on the idea that if you apply a ton of pressure to employees and reach for unobtainable goals that you will achieve amazing things (they call this the "Big Fat Audacious Goals") The problem with this philosophy is that they rapidly burn out exceptional people and come to see people as disposable commodities that can be used until there is a cheaper option.
I worked for McKinley as a sales associate and customer service manager for a mere 5 months and 3 weeks (an average lifespan of employee there; as full benefits & pay raises kick in at 6 months) In that short time I was promoted twice, took my property from 88% to 100% full; and had a renewal rate of 90%. My performance was lauded and praised. Nonetheless, it was made clear that my job was never safe, and that no matter how well I did or how many goals I unexpectedly reached, that my team and I should always be ding MORE.
During those same 5 months; my property went through 6 different regional managers. Each manager came in on their first day and fired someone. This was a tactic used to establish authority & cause staff to feel insecure (they truly believe that if an employee feels secure that they don't work as hard. Insecurity and stress are believed to lead people to work harder & place the company first. Stress is supposed to bring out everyone's best; so it would be artificially caused if it appeared to be absent. When I was supervising
  more... staff, I was told to "never let them feel comfortable")
I was a casualty of the last regional manager change. I never had a conversation with this man; and the person who he assigned to terminate me professed that he didn't want to, nor knew why I was being eliminated. My guess was that I had just had a raise and my benefits would soon be kicking in. This seemed to be how the others that had been fired had been selected: as a means of cost control.
Be aware that accepting a position with McKinley will likely result in constant stress, threats about your job and all the jobs at your property, mind games aimed at increasing productivity, far more hours worked than promised, a sacrifice of your personal life, uprooting your life, constant office politics, and likely termination prior to your benefits or salary raising. If you continue to look for jobs while you are employed and are using this a bridge in between other jobs than it might be worth it. If you are looking for long term employment with a solid company: then run, don't walk, from this company.
Pros
money
Cons
disregard for employees
I liked the community environment in which I worked in
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Okemos, MIJuly 17, 2015
Typical at work was always something new, I liked the fact that there was a different problem almost everyday. I learn never to expect the same thing and never say never. Management was always helpful and polite and my co-workers made the job interesting and insightful. One of the hardest thing about the job was knowing that it all can't be done in one day but one of the best things about it was knowing that there was always something to do.
Pros
ability to polish my skills
Cons
distance away from home
Very Profitable and Caring
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 14, 2014
I would perform daily living activities that my client couldn't perform on her own or needed supervision doing certain tasks. I would do daily house chores, grocery shopping, take her to medical appointments, food pantries, remind her of her medications, and provide companionship.

While working with my client for the past 2.5 years, I've learned that companionship and a positive attitude can benefit a persons life more than we think. I didn't really deal with management, only when it came to timesheets. I didn't have any coworkers that shared the same shift as me. The hardest part of this job was trying to stick to just the duties that are required of me. I tend to start caring and because of that I do more than I'm actually getting paid for. Which I don't mind sometimes, but then it gets to the point where they start to take advantage of it. The part I love the most about my job is getting to help people who need it and building friendships.
Pros
reinbursed gas and the abililty to be outside and shopping
Cons
no health benefits, no holiday pay or overtime pay.
horrible work place
gate attendant (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIApril 30, 2015
My very first day working there there was a fatal shooting which McKinley paid the news to keep under wraps... They told me if somebody were to come with a gun I had to hide in an all glass room by myself and wait for the cops to come... Aside from putting my life on the line for not that great of pay they worked me for one month made me pull a 50 hour week brought me in on my day off and told me I had multiple complaints and that I was fired even though I was never informed of any complaint filed against me. after firing me for no good reason they then took half of the paycheck that was owed to me and told meit was for various reasons that they could not explain. there was never any room for advancement and McKinley definitely does not value any employee every single person is replaceable and nobody matters.
This is a TOXIC work environment. Don't waist your time or career here.
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 11, 2012
This company hires exceptional talented employees and managers only to fire them as fast as a blink of an eye. Most of the time these are wrongful and unjustified terminations made by incompetent upper management personnel. Employees and managers who were there for a long time have left and no one and I repeat NO ONE has job security. The one positive thing this company has is the pay. They do pay very well. Just keep in mind your career with them might be short lived. They are also highly unorganized and have no structure whatsoever.
The worst company to "interview" with
None (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, miApril 2, 2013
I have 10 years of property management experience. I applied to McKinley because their career opportunities looked compelling. Before I was even offered an interview, I was asked to shop two of McKinley's properties and to write a review of what I'd do differently. Immediately, this sent red flags to me. Possible employee prospects to shop other McKinley properties? Really? I'm
An English major and I was told that I didn't qualify for a position because I don't meet their writing requirements. Waste of time! They just want free shoppers!
Pros
nothing
Cons
waste of time
horrible company
senior sales associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa FLFebruary 10, 2014
I was left alone after a week with no training and had to deal with screaming resident because of the previous poor management and try to train myself at the same time. I had to reach out to other sister properties and introduce myself asking for help. I was left alone in the office for four months. They hired a new asset manager who decided I was making too much money and they let me go. Hands down the worst company ever worked for. This company is also very well known for selling their properties and not notifying their employees so basically employees show up for work like a regular day and are either fired on the spot, locked out or have to re interview for their same position most likely at a lesser pay. Upper management will talk to you with absolutely no respect. While I was left alone as a Senior Sales Associate the regional would not mind calling me in the evenings or on the weekends in regards to things pertaining to the property. I was not salary I did not get paid for those times I spent on the phone with him. This is typically something a property manager would deal with. I also was forced to take the on call phone for maintenance on multiple occasions. I have no maintenance experience. The reason I was left alone after a week was because the property manager that was there for only 3 weeks quit due to the horrible upper management and the office being in complete disarray.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Stay away for the sake of your résumé
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 4, 2013
Worked for the company for 6 months fired me before my benefits kicked in. By far the most inconsiderate company I've ever worked for. Looks for reasons to fire you from the sart they love running through people like cattle in my six months I've seen 10 people get hired and fired and only met one person who had been with the McKinley for over a year ( wonder who she slept with) if you like a hazardous job wear you head is on the block everyday go for it
Please, don't do this to yourself
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 18, 2014
Please! What ever you do, do not work
for this company. It WILL ruin you. All of the things people that wrote the 'bad' reviews are telling you the truth. Learn from our mistakes. Please, please don't do this. There is nothing that you can say to justify working for this company. You will kick yourself if you ignore all the cautionary tales and then get fired. Please go elsewhere. I haven't even seen your resume and I can tell you, you can do sooo much better. Best of luck, at another job! The good reviews are submitted by the HR reps. I know this to be true.
Pros
there may be some free lunches... sometimes.
Cons
all of it. the whole thing.

2.2