McKinsey & Company Employee Reviews

Hard work, but one-of-a-kind place
Senior Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2017
Long hours when on the road, which is M-Th most weeks with few exceptions. Lots of deliverables and churn, including "hey you" tasks and rework. But unmatched professionalism, expertise, and support. Glamorous and fun place to be a part of. Come in knowing what you want to get our of it and reevaluate often.
Productive place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 11, 2017
It was challenging internship that prepared me for real life work experience.I learned how to communicate effectively over the phone to make dinner reservations for the company. I enjoyed it a lot.
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 9, 2017
No problems with this employer. Management is helpful. Pay and benefits are outstanding. Best company that I have ever worked for. Co-workers are very helpful.
benefits
Great company
Research Assistant Co-op (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 4, 2017
One of the best in the world. Fantastic resources, incredible support system, diverse workloads. Definitely well worth your time to apply for a job at McKinsey.
Great work/life balance
Sr. Digital Learning Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 2, 2017
Very flat hierarchy, with a lot of freedom to complete your work. Company strives to support work/life balance with a variety of different initiatives.
Pros
Catered lunch every Friday
Cons
Need to embrace telecommuting at lower level positions
Consulting firm with excellent long term benefits
Insurance Practice Administrator & EA (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2017
I've been with McKinsey & Company for 11 years and although there are great long term benefits, there is little room for advancement as an EA. There is also a significantly unbalanced hierarchical structure between Assistants and Partners.
Pros
Free Lunches and jeans on Fridays
Cons
Limited flexibility in working from home, no bonuses
Top notch, classy firm with intelligent work force
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 26, 2017
McKinsey needs no review. It has created a reputation for itself of being world class in it's industry. It's an environment where most consultants are on the road Monday through Thursday and back in the office on Friday's, which is a great model for connecting in the office.
Stressful but great benefits
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 17, 2017
Good benefits, especially for healthcare, paid time off, and maternity leave options. The over structue of the Executive Assistant position seems good in theory, but the people you support will give you too much to do and when you let management know that you are over capacity they do not allow you to work from home to catch up or provide support to help.
Great working environment
Software Development Leader/ (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2017
Had a great career with them. Experience many different functions and systems and was able to grow professionally as well as maintain a quality work life balance.
Excellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 6, 2017
The team is excellent and there are many benefits that come along with working and the company. Great people and great environment to work at for many
Pros
Great teams
Cons
n/a
A great place to grow
Lead Analyst / Architect / Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2017
I was hired to do a job that i excelled in and I was given full opportunity to provide solutions. This was the place where i first realized and focussed on creating well documented solutions that could be used easily by any body else, an must for a place that requires repeatable process to be implemented easily.
Amazing work environment, terrific team spirit!
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2017
I worked as temporary Accounting Assistant with McKinsey. This was my first job out of college and all I can say is--I wish I could go back to work for McKinsey in the future. The entire team was polite, respectful, very professional; most of them have had previous experiences with the best companies in the Financial Services--obviously McKinsey is a very big name itself.
Pros
Friendly people, nice work environment, Free Lunch on Friday!
Cons
Very unprofessional place to be hired by
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 22, 2017
Very unprofessional when it comes to the hiring process. I got hired and was given my start date but I couldn't start right away because my background check was delayed. I have given them all the correct information they needed. My background check was approved by the Truescreen, the company McKinsey uses for background screenings, but then was never looked at by McKinsey so my start date got pushed back 2 weeks. I called and emailed everyday for almost 4 weeks and was told they would look at it and get back with me everyday. They lied to me about that. They finally got back with me 2 days before my start date to tell me that my employment has been revoked because the background screening process took too long. First of all the HR department should have looked at it right away or maybe should of looked at it after the 50 times I called and emailed them then maybe I would have a job. If they would of told me earlier like they should have them I could of been looking for other jobs as well but not I am without one. It was the most unprofessional process I have ever gone through and I would high recommend to not work for them. If it is this unprofessional I can't imagine how bad it would of been once I started.
Pros
There are no pros
Cons
Unprofessional, lazy, liers, not helpful
Really like it here, but not for life
Business Analyst/ Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Would recommend to anyone coming out of college. Gives you a strong general business background, and a great network of people who you'll run into again and again later on in life. A great training ground, and a strong culture.
Pros
Great Place
Cons
Too much work
It's not what you know its who you know
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 8, 2017
The company is a good company as long as you have someone higher up that has your back. If you're in an administrative role there is not much room for advancement. The benefits are good but the pay is not. They give you a lot of vacation time but you can never take it because they have a strict system. The work loads are not evenly distributed amongst the colleagues.
Pros
Benefits, free lunches on Friday's
Cons
Favoritism, cannot trust management
Great place
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 31, 2017
Recommended. Very good company and I would refer anyone interested in this company. Great work life balance and the benefits are amazing. If you're non married you don't have to pay anything for your health benefits.
All 17 office management responsibilities
Office Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2017
Managed 17 staff, Mail Room, Catering, Kitchens, Developed two internal on line ordering programs. One for new employees and one for lunch orders while individuals worked through lunch.
Pros
Top Notch Company and Staff.
Great place to learn
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 28, 2016
Great place to learn from the best, but sometimes the hours were long and tiring. Very good work environment! Nice perks of working there, great food!
Global management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2016
It was fun working working there, challenging but you need to know the right people to advance. It is a great company to work for as a stepping stone.
Pros
Free Fiday Lunch
fast learning curve
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2016
Pros: fast learning curve; working with smart people; exposure to a variety of different topics/industries;good training programs and exit options
Cons: poor life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McKinsey & Company. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3