McLane Company Employee Reviews

Dont waste your time on mclane (former teammate)
Selector (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJanuary 6, 2017
Mclane was a horrible experience, there training process is a joke they don't have any organization with team members or product in warehouse and they only praise there drivers and loaders and leave the selectors with half working equipment and little to none resources when the selectors are the back bone to the whole company.
Pros
Freindly teammates
Cons
Horrible management and supervisors and poor pay for what you do.
Productive and fast paced
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 24, 2016
A typical day at work consists of responding to several e-mails, entering credits/debits, Entering Business Licenses and Resale certificates of customers, and credit research.

Co-workers are great to work with.

The hardest part of my job is not getting cooperation from other departments regarding research.

The most enjoyable part of my job is being given the opportunity to learn new aspects of my department.
Pros
Annual Picnics, Monthly game days
Cons
Health Care, Raises
Great pay but very long routes. Away from home 65+ hours a week.
Route Delivery Driver / Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Republic, MONovember 5, 2016
Long hours, 65+ per week, great pay, great 401k and benefits, new equipment, loads suck, hard work for most people. You deliver in 5 different states. Use people net electronic logs. Always have a co-driver. Go on 16-32 hours loads 3 days a week. Sometimes more during the holidays. Management seems to care less about you.
Pros
New equipment, great pay
Cons
Long work weeks, bad management
Horrible
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLAugust 11, 2016
As a truck driver with many years of experience I can honestly say this is the most I have ever been unappreciated Your hours are long they always add extra work they could care less about your family. They only care is that you bring back the empty truck which is not a problem if you run into an issue truck breaks down or whatever they tell you though pick you up but they won't they rather leave you at a rest area to reset your hours for 10. Management could care less they don't even know who you are all they need is a warm body behind the steering wheel I have never been wrote up in my life until I went there you will be written up for the slightest thing you could work overnight and expect you back into three hours if you like being treated like a nobody McLane is the job for you.
Pros
The benefits
Cons
Everything else
great company, not so great division
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Battleboro, NCDecember 1, 2016
McLane Carolina Division could be a great place to work with improved leadership. The facility has outstanding technology and any young supervisor will benefit from using it. But the current leadership lacks the wherewithal to use it to promote process improvement. Instead the leadership focuses on disciplinary actions against employees instead of evaluating if the processes can be improved. It is very frustrating.
Pros
excellent benefits, technology, stable stable company
Cons
base pay, stale leadership approaches
Exactly as Described
Driver (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 18, 2016
I've been working with McLane for six months and it's exactly the way they described it when they interviewed me. I unload the truck and work hard but the pay and benefits are good. I'm usually home 3-4 days each week. Right now I'm on the extra board but I will be bidding for my own route soon.

I've never been asked to run illegal. When I had an issue with my truck, they sent me a replacement and got me back on the road.
Pros
Good pay, great 401K
Cons
Hard work -- hand unload all freight
Steady work and steady money
Driver (Current Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYSeptember 5, 2016
The work is steady without any major slow periods. The 401K program is pretty good. I feel like management has become anti-driver with the drivecam program they have implemented. They use this tool to come down on the drivers for what I feel are petty things. I also feel that as long as the load leaves the yard management doesn't care about any problems that you might have with that particular load. At the end of the day if you can ignore BS and just do your work you can make decent money here but you are definitely going to work for it.
Pros
Money and 401k
Cons
You got to make work fun at my job.
Professional Deliver Driver (Current Employee) –  Battleboro, NCJuly 28, 2016
A typical day at work is extremely physical and hard. I learn new things and techniques everyday. Always room from learning and improvement. I feel at my job today management sucks. There is absolutely no communication within the office. I love my co-workers. When we ride together we make the hard work fun to pass time. Hardest part of my job is dealing with the managers. They make life harder for us because they do not understand the physical part of it all. Us drivers are the face of the company. Most enjoyable part of my job is the look on our customers face after delivering the product to them professionally with no damage.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No time at home over worked under paid.
Its all about who you know, not what you know or can do!
Wearhouse worker, Yardman, Delivery Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 17, 2016
The company itself has a good motto and will even have you buying into it. Now a lot of the management here want you to do as the say not as they do. There is an extreme amount of favoritism here, and most of the manager cannot do your job or even truly explain it to you. Your opinions do not matter and if you fall out of line you will get the axe and blacked listed. Once was a great company but has slowly gone from taking care of it's own and promoting from within to believing that everyone is replaceable and only college graduates can manage even if their degree has nothing to do with the job at hand or have ever done the work before.
Pros
Benifits, 4days on 3off, ok money
Cons
Expect you to do the work of 3 people, managers done care, don't provide a safe working standards, not everyone employee is treated fairly, broken or unsafe equipment, make you feel more like a number.
productive and friendly atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 13, 2016
My day consisted of helping our customers, which due to dealing with different cultures and languages could be challenging but rewarding.

My co-workers were the best, we were always there to help one another, our manager was definitely the leader of the pack. She ran our dept. of a firm but fair hand.

McLane treats their employees wonderful (in my opinion). They have bar b q's for the employees and always something to look forward to.
Pros
great benefits and wonderful co workers
Good company
Driver (Current Employee) –  Falmouth, VAOctober 13, 2016
Been here 8yrs,the benefits are not great pay almost 500 a month for full family coverage and copays are killer. Work is hard pay is good, It just doesn't seem like they care anymore. Just do your homework and be sure you can live like that. The upside most are team runs so you never work alone, find a good partner like a brother, they do lunches for safety, safety bonuses and in March they also do a driver's banquet..driver and spouse only.
Pros
75k easy, home time
Cons
benefits, 18-35 hr runs
reasonable but hard to replace family time
Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  742 course landing rdDecember 14, 2016
this company is great for a single person that wants to make good money co workers are friendly management is ok as well the hardest part about working here is the sacrifice of family time. the most enjoyable part is the paycheck.
Pros
benefits start the first day
Cons
your on call for a year
Warehouse Associate
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 27, 2016
McLane is a fast paced workplace that is great for the warehouse worker who likes a challenge. I loved the challenge and the opportunity to travel to other States. I feel that the management team means well, yet, they have a tendency to go through Managers as if their hiring process will need to be revisited. They should know that quality management stimulate growth for the entire team. However, the associates are awesome and the compensation package is to be desired.
Pros
Wage progression within 2 years
Cons
management can be shortsighted
Hard work long days
Packer - Make (Current Employee) –  Gold Rock, NCJuly 19, 2016
I would not encourage anyone to work for this company if you are already employed and think that you are going to a better job. Since I've been employed at Mclane I have seen most of the long term employees being fired. Employees that have been with the company for 19 years. There is absolutely no job security. However, if you are unemployed this company is a great place to get hired quickly because of the huge turnover. You can safely say that you will be employed at least 6 months for sure.
Pros
great pay and great 401k
Cons
lots of write ups even when you are trying your best
Excellent benefits Good entry level positions.
Selector/Loader (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WADecember 22, 2016
A solid company with excellent entry level positions fair wages and superb benefits. Only flaw is the scheduling can be inconsistent during major seasons/holidays so you do not know when your shifts end or if you are working approved OT.
Pros
Healthcare, salary, positions, community.
Cons
Scheduling approved OT
Top Management Bonuses HUGE. No pay raises for (women) Office
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  TeNovember 23, 2016
Everyone in management makes lotsa money. There is no respect for women that do the books, customer service, etc. They do NOT get raises!!!
They make everything sound good when your hired
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 5, 2016
Everything sounded good in the beginning. Was making 1300+ every 2 weeks. For being a driver helper thats almost what a level 1 driver makes. Was working 6 days a week (local routes and layover routes). Had set chilis route my 3rd day there. Everything was good until hours got cut. Went to making 1300+ to 700 every 2 weeks. No overtime, you either get paid percentage of route or hourly. Sneaky way around overtime if you ask me. Great co-workers, got along with everybody there. Dispatch sucks, routing sucks, call houston and have a hard time getting stuff and moving around stops and cutting times. Learned everything driver did, trained new drivers that came in. Did everything driver did except driver and still got paid nothing. Felt underpaid for amount of work I did. Loads go out anywhere from 900 cases to 1600. My advice is apply for this company if your over 21. Started when I was 19 thought I was gonna get my cdl but they were giving me the run around. Some helpers where only getting 2 days a week. If you like busting your behind for 400 a week be my guest.
Pros
Great benefits; Co-workers
Cons
Underpaid; No Overtime
Selector (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILJanuary 14, 2017
I worked with a lot of amazing people here. I am still friends with many of them today. The work was labor intensive and a good work out. The pay and benefits were great. I would definitely work there again if the opportunity arose.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Never knew for sure when you would be off work
Good Benifts
Corporate Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXDecember 13, 2016
Good benefits and 401K not always fair don't always treat the drivers with respect. Excellent 401k matching . Advancement has a glass ceiling
Pros
401k Health insurance
Cons
No respect at times
Great Company to work for
Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  AtlantaNovember 28, 2016
I've been employed with McLane for a very long time they've developed me very well. The hardest part of my job is trying to improved a tarnished culture
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Retirement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLane Company. Our community is ready to answer.