McLane Employee Reviews in United States

Very hard work.
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNJuly 26, 2016
Your gonna work for your money here ain't know slacking here if you are slacking you stay out until you and your driver make your stops . And you bring the truck back to the yard empty or your driver runs out of hours and they still make you stay out until they find a shuttle driver to drive. So you'll diffently get overtime if your a driver helper like I was. But just stay focused and push through because next load is same night after you take 10hrs off and come back and do it again.
Pros
You get lots of overtime.
Cons
People not wanting to here what you got to say.
Warehouse Associate
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 27, 2016
McLane is a fast paced workplace that is great for the warehouse worker who likes a challenge. I loved the challenge and the opportunity to travel to other States. I feel that the management team means well, yet, they have a tendency to go through Managers as if their hiring process will need to be revisited. They should know that quality management stimulate growth for the entire team. However, the associates are awesome and the compensation package is to be desired.
Pros
Wage progression within 2 years
Cons
management can be shortsighted
You got to make work fun at my job.
Professional Deliver Driver (Current Employee) –  Battleboro, NCJuly 28, 2016
A typical day at work is extremely physical and hard. I learn new things and techniques everyday. Always room from learning and improvement. I feel at my job today management sucks. There is absolutely no communication within the office. I love my co-workers. When we ride together we make the hard work fun to pass time. Hardest part of my job is dealing with the managers. They make life harder for us because they do not understand the physical part of it all. Us drivers are the face of the company. Most enjoyable part of my job is the look on our customers face after delivering the product to them professionally with no damage.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No time at home over worked under paid.
Awful place to work
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 15, 2016
I was a cdl driver for a year and a half at McLane. They make you run illegal the way they set up the routes, but then make all blame on you. I never got busted, but some people did. I was always so tired working here. I always felt punch drunk and out of it. The management is very detached from what the drivers are working through, and act like they're providing you huge favors in having you work there.

Also they're obnoxiously religious and push their good christian values on you even though they're a morally bankrupt company.
Hard work long days
Packer - Make (Current Employee) –  Gold Rock, NCJuly 19, 2016
I would not encourage anyone to work for this company if you are already employed and think that you are going to a better job. Since I've been employed at Mclane I have seen most of the long term employees being fired. Employees that have been with the company for 19 years. There is absolutely no job security. However, if you are unemployed this company is a great place to get hired quickly because of the huge turnover. You can safely say that you will be employed at least 6 months for sure.
Pros
great pay and great 401k
Cons
lots of write ups even when you are trying your best
Old School mentality. No training
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 19, 2016
I put in close 5 years with this company. The hours are ridiculous. The lack of support from management is mind boggling. They have a "figure it out on your own" mentality. They pick and choose which policies apply to which people and once you have been singled out, there isn't much you can do to restore their faith in you. I have seen people loose their jobs for an infraction that other people didn't lose their jobs over. Management is a joke and everyone is out for themselves.
Pros
Pay is decent, not great, but decent
Cons
Supervisors, managers and HR
Not a good place to work for
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 7, 2016
I worked for 3 month for the Aurora CO team. I try to give all my best can It's never enough for for my supervisor fustranted because I have 17 years and Warehouse experience... Just be careful when they ask you for experience, make sure you had that experience because they treat you there like it you are (the new guy) employers there are so selfish, and you don't have it training or orientation before you started work.
The management unfortunately they're not have a good communication together, and that's the route of the company.
(Not recommended)
Horrible
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLAugust 11, 2016
As a truck driver with many years of experience I can honestly say this is the most I have ever been unappreciated Your hours are long they always add extra work they could care less about your family. They only care is that you bring back the empty truck which is not a problem if you run into an issue truck breaks down or whatever they tell you though pick you up but they won't they rather leave you at a rest area to reset your hours for 10. Management could care less they don't even know who you are all they need is a warm body behind the steering wheel I have never been wrote up in my life until I went there you will be written up for the slightest thing you could work overnight and expect you back into three hours if you like being treated like a nobody McLane is the job for you.
Pros
The benefits
Cons
Everything else
busy and works to many hours.
stocker (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 7, 2016
very early in the morning and co workers were fun management terrible. expect you not to leave for emergency like picking kids up for school. Management isn't good they don't communicate with there employees. Unjustified discipline for termination from management. Racism for supervisors and no disciplinary action was determined.
Pros
freed lunches
Cons
short breaks and favoritism
constant work good benefits robot treatment
warehouse specialist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 29, 2016
I have personally worked at this Mclane. Pay is pretty good and the benefits are great not gonna lie. Upper management is useless and do not care about employees on a day to day basis. You come to work pick your cases and go home(sometimes). You will be treated like a robot not a human being. However there are two decent managers and a good group of guys working there.
Pros
good benefits decent money
Cons
no advancement horrible managers
Disappointed !!!!
Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 27, 2016
I was offered a job as a Distribution Center Supervisor and as I was inquiring the schedule and counter offered the salary via email - because of the number of hours I would be dedicating to the company - I was told that "the division president was taken off-guard by the tone of my counter offer and was having second thoughts and instructed the HR manager to rescind the job offer"; even though, I had already received an offer letter, I was highly disappointed due to the fact that the HR manager never shared with me the work schedule or the total number of hours that I would be working.
* It took me by surprise that emails have a tone.
Great work enviroment and team
Accounting Processes Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 15, 2016
Work at MBM/McLane is busy everyday which I enjoy, great family orientated environment. you stay busy. I have learned more with account reconciliations, and more accounts payable in depth. ready to expand my knowledge with another company as well as assist them with growth.
Pros
401k match is excellent
Cons
healthcare, advancement as far as I can go.
pay is not bad
driver (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 8, 2016
I worked for McLane foodservice for almost 19 years. Started with PFS then ameriserve then Walmart then McLane as it is now. I made the same amount 19 years ago. Each center sets up pay for that center. The management team is worried about two things getting trailers off the dock and trying to make their bonus. Safety does take a back seat here. This is a stressful company to work for. Not to mention the customers hate McLane as a whole. It's sad to see a good company like PFS turn into this mess. I think 90% of the company's problems are coming from the management team. If you have a decent paying job and you feel wanted there. Do not go to McLane
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management from the president down.
Good company to work for, Trans Shop is a different story
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Jessup, PAApril 22, 2016
Steer clear of the Trans Shop. It's the self proclaimed black hole of McLane Pa. Supervisor won't have your back. No matter what, don't speak ill about drivers, they're almost immortal. Management doesn't seem to care about major issues in the Trans Shop. Management has their favorites, no matter what you do you'll never get ahead.

Mechanics and yard men are awesome.
Pros
Benefits are good, mechanics are a great bunch of guys.
Cons
Pay, supervisor, a lot of issues are shown the blind eye by management, you have to fend for yourself
Great
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2016
Friendly staff, great environment and flexibility with much overtime, if wanted and my manager is great with flexibility and understanding
when it comes to family and time off for personal reasons. Can be a little stressful at times, but if you have great team members it helps to get your job done and complete required tasks.
Relief Driver
Relief Driver/Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Sturtevant, WIAugust 21, 2016
A great way to make money and get back into shape quickly. Especially for a driver with no and/or minimum experience. But if you have a family don't expect to be able to spend any quality time with them. Because you will be working every weekend lol
Pros
Pay, benefits, job security
Cons
No quality home time with my family
Its all about who you know, not what you know or can do!
Wearhouse worker, Yardman, Delivery Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 17, 2016
The company itself has a good motto and will even have you buying into it. Now a lot of the management here want you to do as the say not as they do. There is an extreme amount of favoritism here, and most of the manager cannot do your job or even truly explain it to you. Your opinions do not matter and if you fall out of line you will get the axe and blacked listed. Once was a great company but has slowly gone from taking care of it's own and promoting from within to believing that everyone is replaceable and only college graduates can manage even if their degree has nothing to do with the job at hand or have ever done the work before.
Pros
Benifits, 4days on 3off, ok money
Cons
Expect you to do the work of 3 people, managers done care, don't provide a safe working standards, not everyone employee is treated fairly, broken or unsafe equipment, make you feel more like a number.
Overall good company
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 19, 2016
Overall good, however their warehouse can do a better job loading the trucks, night shift can be tough to get used to for some.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, a Berkshire Hathaway company
Cons
Poorly loaded trucks, waste a lot of time digging for products at stops, you can also get hurt very easy the way the trucks are loaded sometimes, i.e, falling boxes, digging and stretching far for boxes.
Great place to meet gain experience!
Maintenance Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carneys Point, NJJuly 10, 2016
McLane is a great company. I have been with the company for 10 years. I can currently looking to change jobs due to ability to move up in the company is not available. My co-workers are great, I have learned a lot working for this company.
Pros
401K, benefits
McLane treats its employees well
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COApril 18, 2016
Benefits start on day one. Sign-on bonus. Tuition assistance. Guaranteed minimum pay. Free food when we reach safety benchmarks. Public awards for significant work anniversaries. McLane does its best to keep drivers well equipped, well paid and well rested.
Pros
Very competitive pay within industry
Cons
Truck drivers complain about everything