McLane

McLane Employee Reviews

Driving was the easy part. Hard, physical work unloading your truck.
Merced - truck driver (Former Employee) –  MercedNovember 14, 2014
Great pay, but earned every penny of it through sweat and hard work. Drove and delivered with a partner - shifts were typically 20-24 hrs long and did 3 of those each week. I hear the routes have changed a lot recently for the drivers, since now that the company has decided to follow the laws. Almost all shifts were driven in northern California, so a typical day would be, get to yard at 5 pm, drive 2 hours to Bay area then start delivering to 18-24 stops for the next 20 hours. Get home the next day at 2 pm and then sleep. You might have to be back to work at 11 pm that same night. Stops were places like 7-11s, Targets, mom & pop stores, Rite Aid, Walgreen's. Each stop we'd pull the ramp and hand-truck in the totes and product - about 12 times up and down that ramp, then repeat that at least 20 times that night. 30,000 lbs., all moved by hand by two guys with hand-trucks. In all weather. Really sucked when the load wasn't put in to the truck in the correct sequence of the delivery. Many times had to move many stacks of product out of the way for 3-4 stops, because the stuff loaded last at the door was for the 4th delivery. Dispatch was less than helpful - they really didn't care much about us out there. Equipment was pretty well maintained. Got to have customer service skills because you deal with them at each stop. If products are wrong, you are the one that has to fix it. And don't get sick - you can't miss any shifts. You get write ups, even if you have a doctor's note. Three of those and your gone. No flexibility in your work schedule at all - you got to be there or else.  more... Only your two weeks of vacation do you have any free time or a quality life. Sleeping patterns were all whacked for the 9 years I worked there.  less
Pros
money was good, predictable work schedule, even though it sucked.
Cons
physically, it was very, very hard work.
this company could be soo much better with very little work
maint tech 3 (Former Employee) –  vaFebruary 18, 2014
as former employee of this company I may seem jaded . the work is very physical and management has absolutely no clue as to how any of the work is done as all the low lvl managers are just out of college and come and go very frequently and it seems there only purpose is to be a buffer of blame for the upper lvl managers when something doesn't go right . The company has an innate desire to micro manage everything the employees are doing and seem to only want to nitpick about what they think will improve production and donot want to listen to more experienced individuals who have been around and have already tried those same attempts .
the departments show extreme favoritism to the point where they will lie about what actually happened to cover for a favorite in there department but if you have no such status you will be written up for sneezing in the wrong place and when you bring up these inequalities in discussion upper management treats you like you are a troublemaker and its your fault that other teammates will not work with you .
the review process is a joke at the end of the year when someone who couldn't possibly do your job tells you with a straight face that you don't know enough about what you are doing and dings you for it and when you ask for examples of such things they cannot do so . nor do they appreciate when you go out of your way to get something done that your teammates have not been able to do for days they don't even say thank you for getting that done . \

But there are a lot of good people there that go to work every day and bust there butts to get the
  more... work done and I feel that the company doesn't really appreciate there hard work when they get walked over regularly by other teammates that do half the work and get away with it because there managers cover for them .  less
Pros
they have decent events /appreciation and decent benefits and pay scales are alright for area
Cons
they will treat you like a leper if you arent part of the "click" and force you out.
dishonest company to work for
selector (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg VirginiaOctober 13, 2014
You think your getting into a great company but realize in the 1st couple of days that you were lied to or should I say weren't given the truth about requirements. After going through a hair strand drug test, beating what they call a strength test (I refer to it as the death chair) and criminal backround you start your job. They start you with a orientation and then come back that night to begin your job. Thats when the bsll drops! You find out you have a quota to make. Nowhere in the posted job description, interviews or orientation is this mentioned. Now it wouldn't be bad except you are working with people that are dishonest and steal the big tickets making it impossible to make your quota. The best part you have 90 days to make it or your fired. All this I formation would have been nice to have when making my decision to leave my job to come work for mclane. I asked the warehouse manager why they don't tell you about the quota and his response was they were trying to figure out how to include it in the interview. They tell you to come to them with any concerns or problems but I highly suggest not doing that. You will end up with a target on your back. Even the trainer the give you steals tickets and they certainly have there favorites. I said something about the ticket stealing and they terminated me before my 90 days. They don't care what goes on as long as the quota is made. They will defend the Thieves to get their numbers. I would never hsve left my job to go there if I knew there was a quota. Also you never get 40 hours a week. The working conditions are like being  more... in s chicken house. And your treated as if your on s chain gang.  less
Pros
work with dishonest people
Cons
the job
You will do 90% physical work
Driver specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at the food service division, after training period u start off as an on call driver (u'll find out why real quick) IF ur pulling a local rt u'll have about 8-12 stops 1300+ cs a day (freezer, refrigerated, & dry products) ((Everyday)) out of town rts is about the same on stops & cs, but u spend a night where ever u lay over, management is not there during start times (12 am - 3 am) only when u get back, so any issues (truck, dollly, paper work l, etc..) u have to ask the dispatcher to help u out that can make ur day harder or not right there. only time I worked with a co worker was when I was in training, the hardest part of the job in my view was a lot of things 1. being on call and not knowing where you where going until u showed up for work - looking for accts in the middle of the night is not as easy especially when it rained. The metal ramp becomes a real safety hazzard with the rubber tires on the dollys and ur shoes sucked a lot! 3. You have to load the frozen products in the restaurant's freezers. 4. The heavy volume that is put on to u daily. The most I liked about there was the pay.
Pros
Pay check
Cons
Daily work load one 1 driver, no help
Long Hours But can Have Great Rewards
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYMarch 25, 2015
I work on the extra board first of all!

You report for work as requested, which means at the drop of a hat, alot more than some. Going anywhere in NY including NYC/LI or Pennsylvania. You grab your equipment, paperwork etc & off you go. First stop Yeah! Gather handcart & scanner. Look & stack stop then bring into store. Repeat til finished including cooler & freezer compartment. Get paperwork signed, issue credits, gather totes & off you go to the next stop. A typical load is about 22 stop weighing about 27,000 lbs. avg per stop is 1000-2500 lbs sometimes about 500-700 lbs. all depends on time of year.

Trucks have on-board electronic Logs, DriveCam Camera's(only records during events)
Pros
Pay is Much higher than OTR driving & has more hometime. Safety bonuses all the time to include food, gift cards, cash. Yearly safety banquet(includes raffle of gifts for safe drivers)
Cons
Long runs up to 30+ hrs, Must offload freight by handcart most of time, Must pass special Isokinetic test to work here, Always being watched by company officals to make sure your not violating DOT Hours of Service
Difficult to Advance, Paying Routes Few and Far Between
Driver (Former Employee) –  Northfield, MNJuly 3, 2015
No big secret here, but I was really not impressed. I worked at the location in Northfield, MN. The management was extremely rude, the routes for new hires (less than 8 years, at least), and people who are low on 'the list,' are extremely rough... I had to call in every morning at 0330, to see if they needed me to go out or not, until I was picked up for a route. When I did get a 'bid,' I was delivering to downtown Minneapolis gas stations with a sleeper cab, and a 48ft trailer, one day a week. Extremely unsafe, and I wasn't making nearly enough for the difficulty of the route. They focus on 'safety,' but darn near require working off the clock, and have very unrealistic timelines. I finally had enough, when they told me that I had to work Christmas and New Years, both my days off, and on other peoples' routes. In addition, you have to earn the 'right,' to your retirement account. Not quite sure that is worth the hassle either. I chose to quit on New Years day, finished my degrees, and I am currently a Safety Professional. Highly recommend staying clear, unless you are desperate for short term work.
Pros
Always Have Work Around the Holidays
Cons
Poor Leadership, Poor Safety, Lack of Paying Routes
Productive work and got to see different states and meet new people.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carneys Point, NJJuly 29, 2013
Starting a day at Mclanes would require me to clock in ask my manger how much weight was in the trailer and what state me and my Driver would be going too.,we filled out are forms to confirm we were making that delivery we got are hand trucks and scanners, & other equipment loading into the tractor trailer. Hooked are tractor up to the trailer went through the security gate and left the yard. Then we headed to are first destination and started making are deliveries. I learned people skills because i was the CSS , i had to talk to managers make sure the deliveries went well also learned safety to stay out of customer's way why delivering, and how to work fast paced but as safe as possible in different environments, different weather freezing & hot temperatures., Different weather such as Snow , rain, hot ect.,Also learned how to work long hour shifts some as long as 14 hours. The best part of my job was learning customer service & management skills,and learning how to work with tractor trailer equipment. And making a partnership with my Driver. The hardest part of the job to me was weather changing & sometimes the weight of a load i delivered, Such has going down the trailer ramp with a load on the hand cart and it started to rain.
Pros
when we delevired to wawa we got free drinks.
Cons
no breaks
Unhealthy environment
worker (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 11, 2014
Honestly it is ridiculous there and management plays their favorites based on how willing you are to suck up to them. They take advantage and they treated great hard working employees below the belt . Firing people or claiming they quit when they didn't. John Williams should NOT be in management or a super visor position at all. He is sneaky, faulty and will only use you to get higher up in life. He has no loyal to anyone, even if they had been closer then family since child hood years. It makes me sick to see someone like him getting benefits while others who really deserved that position are suffering from a situation that was taken completely out of context. Management and cooperate needs to get it together and pay closer attention to their workers character and skills and stop acting like this is high school listening to drama.
Pros
okay pay
Cons
poor management decisions
Most miserable three years of my life
executive (Former Employee) –  templeSeptember 2, 2013
Even though they take on going surveys, they are really clueless. The lady that runs HR for the company is soooo full of herself, she actually thinks they will be named one of the best places to work. She is actually perpetuating the problem. The senior management thinks that they need to act like truckers or order selectors in order to be accepted. the result is the place is full of fowl language (from the top), full of womanizers from the smallest distribution center to the corporate office in Temple, and full of people that fudge numbers and fabricate results. The day that they offered me a promotion was the same day I had decided to give them my resignation. They asked why I wanted to leave since I was doing a job worthy of promotion. I told them the tings that I just wrote here and they decided it was best for me to leave immediately. They were soooo right.
safety award dinners golf and picnics for family
Tractor Trailer Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Carneys Point, NJOctober 31, 2014
Excellent company to work for that's why I am still there Truly a team orientated organization. I can't say enough positive things about The Mclane co. Typical work 10 to 12 hours and you re on the road.I learned that communication is very important in every aspect of business. and its important to be goal oriented and focus. Co workers great bunch of guys and girls everyone is willing to go out of the way to help you. hardest part of job navigating the roads in adverse weather conditions. Most enjoyable part of job is days end when you get to go home to your love ones, cause after all isn't that what it's really all about

Want to know more about McLane?

Ask a question
Truck Drivers ORLANDO, FL
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 1, 2014
Will promise you the world when you are in the hiring process. Don't believe what they (HR Mgr and Transportation Mgr) tell you regarding pay structure and hours you will work.......COMPLETELY untrue. GET YOUR JOB OFFER IN WRITING or else you will regret your choice to work here. I left once I discovered there were people there for longer than I have that are still not making the money they were originally promised and not working the hours they should be. Disappointed. No ethics. Horrible, expensive benefits. HIGH deductibles to meet and EXPENSIVE payroll deductions. I got them and couldn't afford them based on what little pay I was making so I found a new job quick.
Pros
time off (however you don't get paid for it)
Cons
job and pay is not what employer represents during the hiring process.
Fast pace deathtrap!
Full case grocery selector (Current Employee) –  Northfield, MNJune 9, 2015
Their safety policy and quota combination is a death trap to job security and workers if you have 2 accidents within 90 days your fired no matter how minor! They expect you to finish orders at 100% expected time "safely" while worrying about getting fired for not making rate, senior workers and management don't make it any better as Co workers take the best orders and management turns a blind eye towards this practice leaving the new guys with bad almost impossible rates! Would not recommend this job to anyone with family or those who truly care for safe work conditions!
Pros
Pay
Cons
hipocitc safe policy, work conditions, management
Disbacthers have there favorites!
driver (Former Employee) –  DanvilleApril 7, 2014
On extra board when you start out and senior drivers pick and choose what loads they want and leave the low paying loads for the new guys. Constantly switching people you run with while on extra board. I was lucky enough to end up getting a route when I started after a few months. But after the six months was up time to rebid and ended up on extra board. Main disbacther had his favorites and would give guys below you better runs then offered to you. Benefits and pay was good. But when in sleeper berth on the elog you still had to help co driver unload at stops. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
good pay but you earned it
Cons
long hours and hard work
Fast paced work environment
Route Merchandiser/ Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 26, 2015
Working in a fully functioning and successful warehouse is never boring, there is always something to do. I learned the total process of how merchandise arrivers in the stores for people to purchase. Everyone knows each other and everyone has the same drive from management all the way down the line, the culture of working in a warehouse is very close, nobody feels like they're the only one working while others stand around, everybody works hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching those 18 wheelers roll out knowing you made it possible.
Pros
great pay
Cons
long days
Great benefits but get treated badly
Loader (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 5, 2015
Great benefits and awesome pay... Thats about the only two good things I can say. Your supervisors know less then you but act like they're the best. Also their day off system goes by seniority, so the employees that work half as hard as you get better days off. The head DC supervisor does not care about you or anyone else, just himself and making money.If you try to bring up an issue they either blow you off or look down on you. If you dont care about how you want to be treated and just care about money this is the job for you!
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
supervisors, people you work with
JD Edwards team is a giant joke
Sr. Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  TempleJune 20, 2013
Still using JD Edwards 1996 version. You must code using 1996 JD Edwards techniques. The JD Edwards programing manager runs the team like a 6th grade Catholic school. One misspelled word will cause thousands of executable code to be rejected in a software review process called a Walk Through(WT).Code approved in previous projects maybe rejected in an immediate future project .They have zero tolerance for unforeseen events like a death in your family. High turnover. Low morale. Micromanaged. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PROGRAMMING TEAM AT ALL COSTS!!.
Pros
good pay
Cons
jd edwards team is run like a 6th grade catholic school
Drivers Life
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lubbock High PlainsMay 13, 2013
Just started with the company. When your new you are put on an Extra's board. If you have log hours available they can and will call you and put you on an load no matter what you have going on or when you just got back from a load. If your on the extras board until bid time and you refuse a load because you would like to have a day off,,,,,which is rare they will fire you. Drivers bid every 6 months for certain loads/routes. Biding for loads/routes is the only way to maintain a consistent schedule and if you get hired after they bid you will be on the extras board until they re bid after 6 months.
Pros
great pay
Cons
extra board driver get no respect at all. life is a crapshoot until bid time
Job Security and a good balance between home and work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 10, 2016
Mclane Company offers great benefits, compensation and security to their employees. I have learned how to be a part of a team and stretch myself to become a leader both within and outside of the industry. The hardest part of the job is not having the support to advance into leadership. I am hoping that in time the company will provide more opportunity for teammates to advance professionally. The company provides a camaraderie that is difficult to find in other facilities and for that I am grateful. The most enjoyable part of the job is to find opportunities that challenge me and take the initiative to rise above the challenges.
Pros
Good hours for family, great benefits and compensation
Cons
Few opportunities to advance professionally
Poor managment and everyone is a number
Diesel Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Jessup, PASeptember 21, 2014
Had equipment sabotaged by other techs, locker broken into and nothing done about either. 2 holidays a year, no training, saw 7 techs leave in 3 yrs., and 2 parts people. supervisors had favorites. no performance raises everyone in shop got same percentage raise.
Shop was clean, work was ok.
more cons then pros
Pros
company picnics, saftey lunches and prize give-aways, clean shop
Cons
sabotaged equipment by other techs, work all holidays at normal rate, supervisors had favorites, raises were the same % no matter if you greased a truck or rebuilt a engine, lots of tension and jealousy
The worst
Selector 2 (Former Employee) –  Battleboro, NCAugust 6, 2014
This is one of the worst companies I've worked for! You don't have a set time to get off. If you have to be there all day to finish your work then you will. You are not guaranteed 40 hours every week, so sometimes you will have a short check. Supervisor and DC Manager think they are god. They feel like they cant talk to you any kind of way. They make up rules as they go along. The pay is ok but you have to work like a slave for it.
Pros
saftey luncheons, good door prizes
Cons
people above you are unprofessional, unorganized, disrespectful