McLane Employee Reviews in United States

Hard work long days
Packer - Make (Current Employee) –  Gold Rock, NCJuly 19, 2016
I would not encourage anyone to work for this company if you are already employed and think that you are going to a better job. Since I've been employed at Mclane I have seen most of the long term employees being fired. Employees that have been with the company for 19 years. There is absolutely no job security. However, if you are unemployed this company is a great place to get hired quickly because of the huge turnover. You can safely say that you will be employed at least 6 months for sure.
Pros
great pay and great 401k
Cons
lots of write ups even when you are trying your best
Old School mentality. No training
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 19, 2016
I put in close 5 years with this company. The hours are ridiculous. The lack of support from management is mind boggling. They have a "figure it out on your own" mentality. They pick and choose which policies apply to which people and once you have been singled out, there isn't much you can do to restore their faith in you. I have seen people loose their jobs for an infraction that other people didn't lose their jobs over. Management is a joke and everyone is out for themselves.
Pros
Pay is decent, not great, but decent
Cons
Supervisors, managers and HR
Not a good place to work for
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 7, 2016
I worked for 3 month for the Aurora CO team. I try to give all my best can It's never enough for for my supervisor fustranted because I have 17 years and Warehouse experience... Just be careful when they ask you for experience, make sure you had that experience because they treat you there like it you are (the new guy) employers there are so selfish, and you don't have it training or orientation before you started work.
The management unfortunately they're not have a good communication together, and that's the route of the company.
(Not recommended)
constant work good benefits robot treatment
warehouse specialist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMay 29, 2016
I have personally worked at this Mclane. Pay is pretty good and the benefits are great not gonna lie. Upper management is useless and do not care about employees on a day to day basis. You come to work pick your cases and go home(sometimes). You will be treated like a robot not a human being. However there are two decent managers and a good group of guys working there.
Pros
good benefits decent money
Cons
no advancement horrible managers
Disappointed !!!!
Distribution Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 27, 2016
I was offered a job as a Distribution Center Supervisor and as I was inquiring the schedule and counter offered the salary via email - because of the number of hours I would be dedicating to the company - I was told that "the division president was taken off-guard by the tone of my counter offer and was having second thoughts and instructed the HR manager to rescind the job offer"; even though, I had already received an offer letter, I was highly disappointed due to the fact that the HR manager never shared with me the work schedule or the total number of hours that I would be working.
* It took me by surprise that emails have a tone.
pay is not bad
driver (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 8, 2016
I worked for McLane foodservice for almost 19 years. Started with PFS then ameriserve then Walmart then McLane as it is now. I made the same amount 19 years ago. Each center sets up pay for that center. The management team is worried about two things getting trailers off the dock and trying to make their bonus. Safety does take a back seat here. This is a stressful company to work for. Not to mention the customers hate McLane as a whole. It's sad to see a good company like PFS turn into this mess. I think 90% of the company's problems are coming from the management team. If you have a decent paying job and you feel wanted there. Do not go to McLane
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad management from the president down.
busy and works to many hours.
stocker (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 7, 2016
very early in the morning and co workers were fun management terrible. expect you not to leave for emergency like picking kids up for school. Management isn't good they don't communicate with there employees. Unjustified discipline for termination from management. Racism for supervisors and no disciplinary action was determined.
Pros
freed lunches
Cons
short breaks and favoritism
Great work enviroment and team
Accounting Processes Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 15, 2016
Work at MBM/McLane is busy everyday which I enjoy, great family orientated environment. you stay busy. I have learned more with account reconciliations, and more accounts payable in depth. ready to expand my knowledge with another company as well as assist them with growth.
Pros
401k match is excellent
Cons
healthcare, advancement as far as I can go.
Good company to work for, Trans Shop is a different story
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Jessup, PAApril 22, 2016
Steer clear of the Trans Shop. It's the self proclaimed black hole of McLane Pa. Supervisor won't have your back. No matter what, don't speak ill about drivers, they're almost immortal. Management doesn't seem to care about major issues in the Trans Shop. Management has their favorites, no matter what you do you'll never get ahead.

Mechanics and yard men are awesome.
Pros
Benefits are good, mechanics are a great bunch of guys.
Cons
Pay, supervisor, a lot of issues are shown the blind eye by management, you have to fend for yourself
Overall good company
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 19, 2016
Overall good, however their warehouse can do a better job loading the trucks, night shift can be tough to get used to for some.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, a Berkshire Hathaway company
Cons
Poorly loaded trucks, waste a lot of time digging for products at stops, you can also get hurt very easy the way the trucks are loaded sometimes, i.e, falling boxes, digging and stretching far for boxes.
Great
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2016
Friendly staff, great environment and flexibility with much overtime, if wanted and my manager is great with flexibility and understanding
when it comes to family and time off for personal reasons. Can be a little stressful at times, but if you have great team members it helps to get your job done and complete required tasks.
McLane treats its employees well
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COApril 18, 2016
Benefits start on day one. Sign-on bonus. Tuition assistance. Guaranteed minimum pay. Free food when we reach safety benchmarks. Public awards for significant work anniversaries. McLane does its best to keep drivers well equipped, well paid and well rested.
Pros
Very competitive pay within industry
Cons
Truck drivers complain about everything
Hard place to work.
Loader (Former Employee) –  Contoocook, NHMarch 9, 2016
My typical day at work was actually very simple. I would go in and punch in get assigned my first truck then start loading until the job was done for the day. Mclane taught me life as it was the first real job I have had. They are good people and the pace is unbelievable. What I mean by Mclane taught me life is that was where I learned to handle money and things of that nature. They also taught me how to deal with people and what to do and not to do at a place of employment. I am very mature for my age all thanks to Mclane.
Pros
AMAZING BENIFITS!!!!!!
Cons
No lenience on any level.
i like to play pool watch action movies
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 14, 2016
I start my day with a spirit of excellence and motivation to give a high spirit of energy to provide a great atmosphere around peers or customers. this spirit shifts the moods and the common focus of not just doing your job but to put out a high satisfaction to our leaders and brings better quality to my work as well as others...
Beware
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMarch 13, 2016
Worked here briefly. Big mistake. Things you are promised like pay etc are not what you are given. Management plays favorites and only way to make big money is to stroke egos of senior drivers and hope they pick you to go on big money loads otherwise make minimum amount which isn't above a $1,000 a week. Have no social life. Always on-call and never know from day to day if working, get a call anywhere from 8-10am saying to show up at night for a load. Leave that night and work straight until the next afternoon unloading the trailer with hand truck making 15-20 stops at gas stations or drug stores. Safety takes a back seat. Unless you like working graveyards and almost 20hr shifts, no set schedule and having to unload everything by hand stay away from this place!
Pros
Cons
Management, Pay, unloading
Need to find a positive work enviroment
Head Diesel Tech (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 25, 2016
I enjoy going in and finding the problems of the days and finding resolutions quickly and getting it done. My current management does not support that work environment. You want to get up in the morning and look forward to starting your day and know that you have made someones day better and in this profession safer. I take a lot of pride in the work that I do and don't over look the small stuff. Fixing the small stuff before it becomes big probles saves time and money. Just makes more since to to work with that positive environment to build the team as a positive team to get the best work out of each person. The team is only as good as the weakest like work with them to build them into the greatest person that they can become.
Pros
being able to trouble shoot and problem solve
Cons
negative work environment
Its all about who you know, not what you know or can do!
Wearhouse worker, Yardman, Delivery Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Temple, TXJuly 17, 2016
The company itself has a good motto and will even have you buying into it. Now a lot of the management here want you to do as the say not as they do. There is an extreme amount of favoritism here, and most of the manager cannot do your job or even truly explain it to you. Your opinions do not matter and if you fall out of line you will get the axe and blacked listed. Once was a great company but has slowly gone from taking care of it's own and promoting from within to believing that everyone is replaceable and only college graduates can manage even if their degree has nothing to do with the job at hand or have ever done the work before.
Pros
Benifits, 4days on 3off, ok money
Cons
Expect you to do the work of 3 people, managers done care, don't provide a safe working standards, not everyone employee is treated fairly, broken or unsafe equipment, make you feel more like a number.
Great place to meet gain experience!
Maintenance Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carneys Point, NJJuly 10, 2016
McLane is a great company. I have been with the company for 10 years. I can currently looking to change jobs due to ability to move up in the company is not available. My co-workers are great, I have learned a lot working for this company.
Pros
401K, benefits
Great job if you are all work and no play
Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Republic, MOApril 23, 2016
Mclane is a great company and provides a safe(ish) and satisfactory environment. The only problem is management cannot see past teir own wants and needs to understand that an employee has a family and life outside of Mclane.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits
Cons
Promises. Promises. Promises.
Be prepare to this company above anything,but dont expect the same
Loader (Former Employee) –  Poinciana, FL mclane suneastFebruary 23, 2016
This is not a job for a family person,that has kids,and like to spend time with with wife or girlfriend n build memories,cus this company will demand all your time and then some,they will be your pimp and everything else will be second or last,you will lose friends,girl friends will leave you,kids will barely see u,you will put them first n the min you have a problem that will write u up and set you up to get fired,,and management have their favorites and favortism is a big problem,many nights i wanted to quit. Save your health they dont care if you get hurt u better heal quil cause theyll replace you faster then spark plugs in a tune up. Not worth it.if you single n have a good back and you have no family.this could be the job for you til you get hurt.
Pros
Medical benefits.401k
Cons
Bad case of favortism, no life out side of there.yolo