McLaren Flint

McLaren Flint Employee Reviews

Inadequacy
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Mclaren OccupationalAugust 5, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: management
In the area where I worked we were constantly working without adequate staff. There was never any coverage so if anyone called in you worked alone and picked up the slack for two people and you worked from the beginning of the shift until the very end with only a one hour and fifteen minute break out of a 12 hour shift. Other than that you are constantly moving. Management were slave drivers and they all back up one another 100 percent. The union helped but they can only do so much. I did see a lot of favoritism while working there, I noticed that certain co-workers could make all the errors they wanted without any disciplinary action taken against them. At every staff meeting that was held once a month we were verbally abused and spoken to in such a condescending and disrespectful manner that I got to the point where I was just over it. The morale there was nonexistent and it's all due to management. The patients complained on a daily basis and there was never anything done to rectify the situation on how patients were being treated. The nurse manager is rude, condescending and walked through the door every morning with an attitude. The turn over rate in this place for workers and providers is unreal. I gained a lot of experience but the overall environment in that place is just toxic and I am so happy to be out of there.
A day in the life
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Flint, MIAugust 4, 2014
Pros: helping people, interacting with people, teaching people
Cons: 4 30 am wakeup!!
Working at McLaren allows me to interact with both patients and family members. I am the 6 am -230 pm shift, so basically I open the center everyday. I am dependable and hard working. The best part of my job is my patients. I love the interaction! My co workers are all professionals. Definitely the hardest part of my job is waking up daily at 430. In the 6 years I have been employed at McLaren I have never been tardy!!I have learned that compassion and connecting people on a personal level is equally as important as my nursing skills!!
horrible
kkk (Former Employee), kkkMay 7, 2014
Pros: large hospital
Cons: poor staff
management rely on staff to do their job, staff do not know what they are doing as far as treating people fair!!
Transporter
Transporter (Current Employee), Flint, MIMarch 5, 2014
Working at McLaren is a good experience. Meeting New people and building a relationship with is wonderful. I learn a lot and experience a lot. Working there made me want to become a doctor, because how they take care of business and do it well. The hardest part part about is really nothing. because everything is taken care of. I love my job and i will continue to work hard at it.
outsourcing everyone
. (Former Employee), .January 6, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: outsourcing, layoffs, taking away benefits and retirement
This company hires outside groups to take over departments, gives the employees a choice of less pay with higher insurance premiums or be layed off. Anesthesia department is run by sub-par providers who only care about the money, not the patients.
City type hospital that is great for cardiac care.
Emergency Room Technician (Current Employee), Flint, MINovember 20, 2013
Cons: short to no breaks.
Great ER doctors and staff, clientele can be rough at times. The hospital is very clean and painted in colors instead of the drab white in most medical facilities. It is great to work with such knowledgable people on a daily basis, however the patients can be abusive due to being in the city.
Dont work here unless you are a health professional!
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Flint, MISeptember 12, 2013
Pros: health insurance deducted out of your paycheck.
Cons: short breaks or no breaks. doesn't want to promote within the company, shows favortism, pay is very low.
If you are not a health professional do not bother!! Safe yourself the stress!! Mclaren does not care about the other staff employed by the hospital. Disrespectful and racist RN staff.
Great Corporation
Receptionist (Current Employee), Flint, MIAugust 27, 2013
Pros: co-workers, union, benefits
Cons: management
I enjoy the job that I perform everyday and the patients that brighten my day.
Fast paced, close knit environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Flint, MIJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: the day goes by quickly and you actually make a difference for many people.
Cons: hardly get a lunch, never get to use the bathroom, and can be very stressful
Everyday is a learning adventure with a wide variety of patients, cultures, and illness coming through the ambulance tunnel and the front door. The hardest part of the day can sometimes be prioritizing as pt. needs and acuity change constantly. With co-workers that are helpful and management that pitches in when things get busy, it makes the day go by very quickly. The most enjoyable part of the job is feeling accomplished after a long code or just making a pt. feel better.
Love McLaren
Certified Nurse Aid (Current Employee), Flint, MIDecember 27, 2012
Management is great, learned alot by working with the nurses, and by working everywhere in the hospital.

Most co-workers are friendly and willing to help.
I enjoyed working there
RN (Former Employee), FlintNovember 30, 2012
Pros: co-workers were team players
Cons: busy days and call ins
I would've stayed except my babysitter quit on me. I learned alot. Management was good about working with my schedule and giving me extra orientation as i needed. Co-workers were very nice and new alot about the position.
I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy!!
Medical Physicist (Current Employee), FlintJuly 13, 2012
Pros: there are no pros...
Cons: more cons than i could possibly list...
I am currently employed and have been here for 10 years...I would leave in a heartbeat if I could find any cancer center in Michigan that was hiring.

A typical day is total chaos and confusion...no part of the process is smooth nor does any part comply with the standards of practice within our field of radiation therapy.

The management group lacks experience and training, and bases its decisions on how much money they can save...directly influencing their own bonus for that fiscal year. Management has no desire to improve staff moral, teamwork, workflow...and most importantly, patient care.

Direct co-workers are exceptional, but the rest of the department is all out for themselves and refuse to cooperate on behalf of better patient care. Part of this is in fear of retaliation...

This is absolutely the worst run radiation therapy department I have ever worked in! I am embarrassed to admit that I work here and I would not let any family member of mine be treated here. Doctors and management have one interest and that is to increase revenue...ONLY!

This is not the place for you if you any shred or morals or dignity...

July 25, 2012

I am in utter shock of this co-worker's statments. I have worked for McLaren at the Cancer Center for many years and have never once felt like this. I take full pride in my job and the patient's are the staffs main concern. We have had management issues here and there, but what center has not? You cannot group them as a whole. We have individual leaders that stand out and do an excellent job. I have told many people over and over again that if one of my family members got cancer, McLaren Cancer Center- Flint would be one of the first places I would reccomend them ( I have worked at a handful of cancer centers in the state of Michigan). For the person who wrote this, I pray that you find a new job some place else very soon. It saddens me that you may be portraying your poor attitude and lack of judgement here at our cancer center.

July 30, 2012

Who ever is the co-worker that is "so shocked" may need to take their head out of the sand and look at the problems in this department seriously. I wouldn't let my dog get treatment at this center, let alone a loved family member. Yes, there are definitely some stand out members of the staff that do their best to make things right for the patients, but their hands are tied by the lack of management and slack, hands-off care of the physicians. I have never seen, heard of, or worked for a cancer center in which the physicians have such little to do with the patient care. They are not involved in the simulations, they barely have time for the treatment planning, they do not ever review the patients set-up films, and they never see their own patients for on-treatment visits. I honestly do not see how they can sleep at night, knowing that an untrained PA is responsible for such a life-changing tasks. I do not have a bad attitude...I am actually one of the few people trying to make things right and effective for the patients. I do however feel that I am up against a brick wall...things will never improve here as long as reimbursement is high and the physicians, managers, and directors are being paid very, very well. It is a truly sad fact and it is indeed the patients that not only suffer but pay dearly for the suffering...both in health and financially.

October 5, 2012

Mangement lacks experience and training, and it's total confusion all the time . There are different rules for everyone that works there. If you are management's neighbor you can do what you.want. Management is also duplicitous. Not a good place to work unless your a suck up. I, unfortunately, had to quit due to the fact they are not there for the patients. They are only there to make money for themselves.

no union
SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee), Flint, MIMay 15, 2012
asc, is a great department, and fun close work enviroment, we all do the best we can to help eachother
Good place to work in an unsafe locality, live elsewhere.
Family Medicine Residency Program (Current Employee), Flint, MIApril 29, 2012
Good place to work in an unsafe locality, live elsewhere. Days are good, Night calls limited, Work hours in accordance with ACGME rules, Great Program director, fantastic collegues.