McLaren Northern Michigan Employee Reviews

An excellent place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Patient UnitJuly 25, 2017
MNM truly cares for their patients and colleagues. While individual departments may perform differently, there is an overall cultural of transparency, shared governance, and focus on safety.
Pros
The benefits package seems unparalleled compared to other local employers.
Terrible place to work
Registered Nurse - Emergency Room (Former Employee) –  MichiganApril 22, 2017
Nothing but a runaround with everything, including my pay, insurance, etc. Will find a way to get rid of you if they don't like you. I had to remove myself from a "toxic company". Would never work for this company again.
Plant engineering/Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIApril 19, 2017
Great maintenance staff to work with over the last several years. Staff are courteous, caring and assist each other. I have enjoyed the family environment.
Wonderful job, horrible work environment.
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 11, 2017
Management was terrible , very disorganized, rude and many should not have their jobs. They played favorites, and would walk away from problems, the management promise you they will be there to talk if you have any problems, but when you talk to them they tell you to figure it out or they do nothing. You will watch certain employees break most rules, but then you watch another employee get written up for the same thing. Also beware, if they hear you are looking for another job, they will go behind your back and ask other employees if they have seen you doing anything wrong.
Pros
Health, dental and eye
Cons
Bad management, lying, drama.
Continously striving for excellent patient satisfaction
Phlebotomist/Medical Assistant/Patient Care Tech (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIFebruary 9, 2017
McLaren Northern Michigan is a hospital that endlessly searches for ways to better serve their patients and their families. A team oriented approach is well established and conducive to an environment that promotes healing on the highest level.
Outstanding Organization
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIDecember 8, 2016
I was only there for a month last summer but it was top notch. The orientation was thorough, my direct supervisor was accessible and supportive, the office staff was amazing as were all of my co workers. The Demmer Wellness Pavilion is a gem. The community is so fortunate to have such excellence in their midst!
Pros
Location, facility, attitude
Cons
Very busy
Have you heard the phrase, "People don't quit jobs, they quit bosses."?
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MichiganAugust 7, 2016
My job is mostly clerical so I handle charts and paper work, spend a lot of time on various computer programs. I have mostly wonderful co-workers, although the majority of us are currently looking for new jobs, including myself. We all love what we do, but not some things we have to deal with that have little to do with our actual daily tasks. There are several issues with management, yet when several us get together to address the issue we are simply told to stop complaining and do our jobs. That we come here to work, not have fun. No one is expecting each day to be a big party, but people should not dread coming to work or seeing their bosses either.

The hardest part of our job? Dealing with management. Especially those who aren't qualified to be managers, yet still have the position.They need to start looking at what bigger and better hospitals are doing -and copy them. There is a high turnover rate here for a reason.

The most enjoyable part of our job would be the satisfaction of helping patients. We care deeply about them and it is frustrating to be the ones who look them in the eye and develop relationships with them, but then have all the politics of lower and upper management that sometimes interferes with giving our best are.
Pros
the nurses here are amazing, colleagues, one of the few places in the area to get a decent benefits package
Cons
low pay, raises are very low, no bonuses or incentives for doing well, managers poorly qualified or simply cannot handle their jobs, poor training, disorganized, a entire new board would be nice
Fantastic employer, Wonderful management, Awesome employees! I love it!
Director of Rehabilitation Services (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJuly 24, 2016
This is a wonderful place to work. The first thing people notice when they come into our facility is the beautiful interior decorating. The employee friendliness & the quality care they provide match the beautiful decor.
All people are respected equally from housekeepers to nurses to managers. This is a place that I truly enjoy & am proud to work at. I also recommend this facility for patient care. They provide excellent care!
Pros
Excellent work environment, free meals, great management
Recommended
Team Leader I (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIApril 20, 2016
Good opportunity for advancement and good place to work. The floor nurses is supported by the house supervisor and swat nurse.
Not worth it!
MHVS (Former Employee) –  MclarenMarch 5, 2016
Majority of the doctors are great, but McLaren and management make it terrible. There is an extremely large turnover due to poor management and policies. Benefits were taken away. There is a lot of favoritism from management and employees are not treated equally. Work is demanding and more and more keeps being expected without compensation.
Pros
steady job if you can handle the pressure
Cons
management is terrible
Medical Assistant / Hyperbaric Chamber Operator (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIAugust 25, 2015
McLaren is a good place to work. There is opportunity for further advancement. The benifits and wages are market comparable.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Wage increase not on personal achievement
Billing office
Medicaid Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Petoskey MI 49770August 6, 2015
This is a billing environment with twenty plus women. It can get a little catty from time to time. It is a fun place to work, but sometimes getting a claim to pay is very difficult.
Don't apply, Run don't walk from there.
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJuly 13, 2015
Management ineffective and unskilled. Unable to even enforce simple rules like Dress Code. Rules barely followed by anyone. Bullying, Harassment widespread. Management does nothing to stop it and even rewards or bribes the offenders to stop. They have no sympathy or support for the victims.

Doctors are some of the best in the country, too bad the lack of management makes this a terrible place to work. If they ever take their culture serious and build around keeping the good employees and getting rid of the bad ones they will give Munson a run for the money. Too bad that will probably never happen. It has been a hole to work at for 25 years and there is no change in sight
Pros
High quality Doctors and many personnel
Cons
Bullying, harassment, retaliation, cliques, gossip.
Poor place to work
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Elk Rapids MiJune 7, 2015
Management was terrible , very disorganized .
Patients complained all day about McLarens procedures and policies.
I was very disappointed on how the patients were treated (per McLaren policies ).
I would not recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
None, since Mcclaren took over
Cons
Did not care about patients only focused on the numbers.
Typical work day
Safety companion, Room service representative (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIMay 20, 2015
Changes depending on what job you are doing.
Responsible for the safety of patients in need, answering phones, placing orders, input of diet orders, assembly and delivery
A fast paced working environment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIOctober 18, 2014
I enjoyed working for McLaren and learned a lot in a very short time.
A hospital that was once better than it is now
Field Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Petoskey, MIJuly 23, 2014
I have enjoyed working with the people at McLaren Northern Michigan hospital, but hard times for the health care industry and a takeover by a larger company have made it significantly less friendly of a workplace.
Great place to work,always felt like part of a big team
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  LabratoryMay 20, 2014
I really loved working at this hospital. In fact I hope I can be rehired and work part-time or contingent. I've missed it for quite some time. I was always proud to have worked at MNM (back when it was Little Traverse Hospital/and NMH) to this day I continue to have all my health car needs taken care at MNM.
Pros
Great bunch of people to work with
Cons
Husband was laid-off from NMH, so we moved and came back. At the time my husband was unable to find work elsewhere, as it was winter.
Rn
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIApril 19, 2014
I felt the management was poor, Many job cuts, no pay raise for 4 years. Most coworkers were competent and efficient. The hardest part of the job was trying to provide the best patient care possible with the extremely limited resources available to us.
Pros
paycheck did not bounce
I worked in a small office where we really had to work as a team.
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, MIMarch 18, 2014
I loved working a set schedule and getting to know the patients that were treated there. My schedule was 7:30-4:30 Monday-Thursday and 7:30-noon on Friday.
The office was small so there was no drama, and I loved that.
Pros
Set schedule
Cons
Low patient base which resulted in my job being eliminated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLaren Northern Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.

McLaren Northern Michigan Reviews by Location