McLean Hospital Employee Reviews

Biased
Community Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Middleboro, MAJune 15, 2017
My specific boss was essentially a terrible human being. As mentioned, my opinion is biased and specifically focused on one person which makes it entirely invalid.
Great Hospital
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAMay 29, 2017
Great work environment to work... Great training and motivation. Very flexible schedule, family friendly, ability to plan for retirement if you want to remain at mental health field...
Pros
Tuition assistance for vested workers, flexible schedule...
Cons
Must study Nursing to advance career...
great place to work.
Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAMay 13, 2017
Learned a lot from working her in both admissions and as a unit nurse. McLean is truly the top for psychiatric care and it was great to learn from such dedicated minds. Great place to network and make friends with people with interests in mental health care and medicine. Pay not that great.
Amazing Team
Community Residence Counselor (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAApril 12, 2017
I love working here! Certainly it has it's problems like any other institution, but the quality of staff members and the supportive hospital culture are beyond amazing.
Pros
Learn from experts, prestigious institution, supportive environment, beautiful campus, pension plan
Cons
low pay, lack of promotions to those without doctorates
Great place to get experience in mental health field.
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAFebruary 15, 2017
At my job at McLean I provide direct patient care and participate in therapeutic milieu in an inpatient unit for adults with psychotic and mood disorders. I plan and conduct group therapy (e.g. Meditation, Challenges and Goals, Creative Writing, and Creative Expression) I complete documentation of progress notes and observation sheets. I use verbal and non-verbal techniques to de-escalate crisis situations and establish therapeutic relationships with patients.
Very well-rounded first nursing job
Staff Nurse on Proctor 1 & 2 (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAFebruary 8, 2017
McLean hospital has offered me the opportunity to work with patients with many different mental health issues, including substance use disorder, PTSD, major depression, among others.
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAJanuary 23, 2017
Workdays varies, some day are different than other. Nonetheless, it is usually a productive day at work, because we help patients on daily basis in their treatments. The work culture is somewhat good. The Management needs an improvement, because the rules are not enforced across the board. The hardest part of the job is dealing with manic patients and restraints.
A great place to work
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAJanuary 22, 2017
McLean Hospital is a great place to work. I especially enjoy working on the detox unit. The staff is very supportive and knowledgeable. Has been a valuable start to my nursing career.
Work for the name on your resume
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 24, 2016
MHS's do everything for little pay. The hourly wage is not enough for someone with a bachelors degree to live. Turn over is frequent because of this. Management belittles our role on the unit and puts the nurses on a pedestal yet all they do is pull medication. Work here to get the name on your resume if you want to work in this field. If not, stay clear!!!!!!
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Little pay, MHS's do everything for no pay, poor management
Great place to work staff and management are great
Charge Nurse, RN (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsAugust 27, 2016
Charge Nurse 11-7 Friday and Saturday Night 18 bed Psychiatric unit age range 48-89. Many diverse culture and diagnoses that are listed on Resume.
Pros
nice staff and management
Cons
pay rate
A challenging work setting with a team providing an essential service
Case Manager Associate (Current Employee) –  Middleboro, MAMay 23, 2016
Working on an inpatient psychiatric unit brings many challenges challenges. A social worker on the adult inpatient unit at McLean Southeast works in tandem with psychiatrists and nurses seeking to help patients exhibiting acute psychiatric symptoms stabilize and return to the community in brief periods of time. It is a rigorous task to help individuals access community resources that will allow them to continue with their intensive treatment in a less restrictive setting upon discharge. I have the daily responsibilities of completing a psychosocial assessments and treatment plans, maintaining collateral contact with family members and outpatient treaters, completing referrals to treatment programs, and documention of daily mental status as well as completed case management tasks. This can create immense stress but is rewarding upon realizing that my efforts provide individuals and family in critical need with the type of help that will assist them in restoring a sense of normalcy to their lives.
Pros
Excellent benefits, access to CEU opportunities through grand rounds
Cons
Very stressful and fast-paced.
Excellent program that has a high success rate in improving and stabilizing residents with emotional disorders.
Community Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  3 East House - Intensive Adolescent DBT ProgramMay 19, 2016
Typically a work day can be long and sometimes enjoyable and sometimes difficult. However, sometimes the more difficult days are the most rewarding at the end of the day. I learned about the importance of working as a team, self-care and time management, skills to working with adolescents, a more in depth understanding of DBT and leadership skills. Supervision was one part of this program that I felt was very weak. However, co-workers were usually very enjoyable to work with. A value of this program is to practice direct communication and give feedback, which I think was very helpful in resolving any conflict between co-workers in general before escalation or discomfort. The most difficult part of this job is running a unit when we are short staffed, especially when taking residents on weekly outings (which happens often). The most enjoyable part is simply spending time with the residents and getting to know them.
Pros
Rewarding work with the residents, overall a great team to work with, gaining experience in DBT, free food and outings.
Cons
Lack of supervision/direction, sometimes the disconnect between counselors and clinicians, being short staffed often.
Level II OT Student
Level II Occupational Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAMarch 15, 2016
Working with McLean Hospitals community-based program, Waverley Place, provided both valuable knowledge and an energizing work environment.
Great experience working with individuals struggling with mental illness
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middleboro, MAFebruary 26, 2016
At work a day would consist of checking on patients making sure they are safe and participating in their treatment. Assist and run groups related to mental health and its awareness. Working with a broad group of individuals with various mental health illnesses was rewarding in many ways. I learned to be patient and well versed in mental health terminology and disorders. It was hard not to get too involved in how the patients were feeling. The best part of the job was to get a letter from a patient thanking you for the great job you have done and the good impact you had on their lives
productive workplace
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAFebruary 17, 2016
As shift coordinator, a typical day at work included managing and training new employees, helping organize the milieu and the structure of the day. We were direct and effective as coworkers as far as communication goes, and modeled that for the residents.
Professional, Compassionate, Effective.
Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAJanuary 4, 2016
All staff members (Doctors, RNs, Counselors, Social Workers, Kitchen, and Maintenance personnel) treat our patients with dignity, respect, and empathy. We all strive to provide a safe environment conducive to a prompt and lasting recovery.
Great environment and staffing
ASSISTANT ERP COACH (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MANovember 26, 2015
At the OCD institute, I communicated with behavioral therapists and often sat in on sessions with patients who gave consent. I was given intense training in the conduction of exposure and response prevention. Afterwards, I was given the opportunity to assist the primary coaches and directly support the patient. It was very emotionally trying to see such distress in others, but it was so rewarding when progress toward recovery was evident.
Pros
Helping patients overcome their fear
Cons
Seeing others in distress
Exceptional People to work with and for
Patient Resource/Aftercare Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MANovember 21, 2015
I worked at McLean in the Addictions Program all of my tenure. However I was promoted and trained to do much more. The opportunities are beyond any other employer thus far. I absolutely, grew professionally and personally.

It is a great place for those in need of care that is of the highest level of skill set and knowledge. The amount of supervision and career opportunities are extensive. I was a member of the Social work department and Harvard Public Speakers Bureau.

Great place, great people.
Pros
Training opportunities, exceptionally talented and skilled staff
Excellent Psychiatric Hospital
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 23, 2015
Working at McLean Hospital provided me with a strong foundation of knowledge regarding working with people with mental illness. The staff at McLean cares for patients who have both chronic and severe mental illness. They do this in a professional manner where the patient's needs are always considered to be the most important.
Supporting your fellow staff members
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 15, 2015
The main thing that I learned from working at McLean Hospital and Westwood Lodge Hospital was learning to depend on others for support and to always be there in time of need for fellow staff members. Both hospitals were high intensity and dangerous situations occurred on a daily basis in which I learned to work with others to deescalate the emotions and behaviors of mentally ill patients.
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
Highly stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLean Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4