McLean Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to get your feet wet in the mental health field
Clinical Educator Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middleborough, MAJuly 13, 2015
McLean is top of the line as far as psychiatric care is concern. I worked on the adolescent residential unit. Getting experience and working multiple positions here helped me get a sense of what my talents and passions are. DBT principles heavily applied throughout the program are a benefit and are very effective for the presenting population. The usual passive-aggressive disciplinary style and gossipy social atmosphere seen in most institutions doing this work is here too, but there are many willing to work against that system.
Pros
Met great people, good benefits, great place to start a career in mental health, upward mobility, good reputation, education and experience
Cons
Lack of break times, too much expected of my role, less helpful supervision as I progressed up the ladder, management is distanced from what is actually going on on the unit floor
Exceptional People to work with and for
Patient Resource/Aftercare Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MANovember 21, 2015
I worked at McLean in the Addictions Program all of my tenure. However I was promoted and trained to do much more. The opportunities are beyond any other employer thus far. I absolutely, grew professionally and personally.

It is a great place for those in need of care that is of the highest level of skill set and knowledge. The amount of supervision and career opportunities are extensive. I was a member of the Social work department and Harvard Public Speakers Bureau.

Great place, great people.
Pros
Training opportunities, exceptionally talented and skilled staff
Cons
A challenging work setting with a team providing an essential service
Case Manager Associate (Current Employee) –  Middleboro, MAMay 23, 2016
Working on an inpatient psychiatric unit brings many challenges challenges. A social worker on the adult inpatient unit at McLean Southeast works in tandem with psychiatrists and nurses seeking to help patients exhibiting acute psychiatric symptoms stabilize and return to the community in brief periods of time. It is a rigorous task to help individuals access community resources that will allow them to continue with their intensive treatment in a less restrictive setting upon discharge. I have the daily responsibilities of completing a psychosocial assessments and treatment plans, maintaining collateral contact with family members and outpatient treaters, completing referrals to treatment programs, and documention of daily mental status as well as completed case management tasks. This can create immense stress but is rewarding upon realizing that my efforts provide individuals and family in critical need with the type of help that will assist them in restoring a sense of normalcy to their lives.
Pros
Excellent benefits, access to CEU opportunities through grand rounds
Cons
Very stressful and fast-paced.
Great experience working with individuals struggling with mental illness
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Middleboro, MAFebruary 26, 2016
At work a day would consist of checking on patients making sure they are safe and participating in their treatment. Assist and run groups related to mental health and its awareness. Working with a broad group of individuals with various mental health illnesses was rewarding in many ways. I learned to be patient and well versed in mental health terminology and disorders. It was hard not to get too involved in how the patients were feeling. The best part of the job was to get a letter from a patient thanking you for the great job you have done and the good impact you had on their lives
Level II OT Student
Level II Occupational Therapy Student (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAMarch 15, 2016
Working with McLean Hospitals community-based program, Waverley Place, provided both valuable knowledge and an energizing work environment.
productive workplace
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAFebruary 17, 2016
As shift coordinator, a typical day at work included managing and training new employees, helping organize the milieu and the structure of the day. We were direct and effective as coworkers as far as communication goes, and modeled that for the residents.
Great psychiatric facility
RN (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 10, 2013
The facility and values are second to none. As nursing staff, I have noticed that the primary focus of management is toward psychiatrists and research and unfortunately the nursing staff isn't as valued. The benefits, however, are very good and competitive (3 weeks vacation for RNs, for example). The salary is low for such an acclaimed institution. The administrators are focused on finances, and overall I feel the hospital could be much better run if the 'higher-ups' were more conscientious of staff and patients rather than money and their reputation. I do enjoy my job very much but feel I could be much happier if these issues were resolved.
Great environment and staffing
ASSISTANT ERP COACH (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MANovember 26, 2015
At the OCD institute, I communicated with behavioral therapists and often sat in on sessions with patients who gave consent. I was given intense training in the conduction of exposure and response prevention. Afterwards, I was given the opportunity to assist the primary coaches and directly support the patient. It was very emotionally trying to see such distress in others, but it was so rewarding when progress toward recovery was evident.
Pros
Helping patients overcome their fear
Cons
Seeing others in distress
Professional, Compassionate, Effective.
Psychiatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAJanuary 4, 2016
All staff members (Doctors, RNs, Counselors, Social Workers, Kitchen, and Maintenance personnel) treat our patients with dignity, respect, and empathy. We all strive to provide a safe environment conducive to a prompt and lasting recovery.
One of the leading Psychiatric Hospitals in the United States
Per Diem Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAAugust 13, 2015
-Team approach to patient care
- Learn DBT skills
- Maintain patient safety
- Supportive staff
- Some treatment resistant patients
- The satisfaction of supporting patients in distress.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, free parking, excellent benefits
Cons
pay is below going rate
Supporting your fellow staff members
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 15, 2015
The main thing that I learned from working at McLean Hospital and Westwood Lodge Hospital was learning to depend on others for support and to always be there in time of need for fellow staff members. Both hospitals were high intensity and dangerous situations occurred on a daily basis in which I learned to work with others to deescalate the emotions and behaviors of mentally ill patients.
Pros
Amazing staff
Cons
Highly stressful
Fun diverse workplace with unbeatable staff
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAJune 5, 2015
Although some days can be hectic, on average they are well thought out and executed by nursing staff. Daily patient interaction is enjoyable as well as a great learning experience. The hardest part is seeing severely ill patients while on the flip side, the best part is seeing and being part of patient recovery.
Pros
scheduling, co-workers
Cons
compensation
Excellent Psychiatric Hospital
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 23, 2015
Working at McLean Hospital provided me with a strong foundation of knowledge regarding working with people with mental illness. The staff at McLean cares for patients who have both chronic and severe mental illness. They do this in a professional manner where the patient's needs are always considered to be the most important.
Great experience for a brief period of time
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MADecember 13, 2012
My coworkers and superiors are all passionate about patient care, which is something I love. I also enjoy working with the patients and seeing people get better. However, the pay isn't that good, but poor pay comes with working in the mental health system. The job really follows you home. A stressful day will make you snap at everyone and there's really nothing you can do about it, considering MOST days are stressful days. The job is inherently difficult, but it's also very rewarding. I recommend the experience to anyone, but be planning your next step as soon as you start. Otherwise this job will eat you alive.
Pros
camaraderie, experience, benefits (vacation, sick days, healthcare)
Cons
working weekends, difficult patients, not enough debriefing
Excellent environment to cultivate a career and learn from the best.
Belmont, MA (Current Employee) –  Mental Health SpecialistNovember 4, 2011
In my time at McLean, I have had both positive and negative experiences, like any job really. However, the positive interactions are what stick with you. McLean is not perfect, but it is a great place to work. The benefits are amazing, the opportunity for extra pay is there (short notice, mandate, OT) and they are willing to pay it without question.

If you are interested in mental health care, McLean is one of the top hospitals. The people there are wonderful, for the most part, but you can't always have perfect staff. It's a friendly place and they take care of their own. It's a part of Partners and once you are within that system, you have many opportunities that aren't available to you otherwise.
Pros
staff, environment, patient interactions.
Cons
acuity, at times.
I really enjoyed my time working at Mclean Hospital
Animal Care Technician II (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAJune 30, 2015
I really loved working with mice, rats and monkeys and knowing I do a job that will help sick people I also enjoyed working with my coworkers.
Very Professional, efficient workplace.
Development Officer/Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAJuly 1, 2014
Very professional, efficient workplace. Plenty of opportunity to advance your education, and career.
Excellent learning experience
Mental Health Counselor; social work intern (Former Employee) –  Belmont, MAJuly 13, 2013
I worked with some of the best psychiatrists and psychlogists in the country and I am forever grateful for all I learned in the mental health field. I was able to work in many different locked units, including the getriatric dementia/alzheimers unit and the psychiatric disorders unit. There was no such thing as a "typical day" at McLean Hospital. There were quiet, laid back days where I was able to spend quality time with the patients and run groups, and there were other days wihich were hectic and stressful. My co-workers were wonderful. We all worked as a unit and we were all totally invested in helping our clients. I learned more about the mental health field working at McLean than I learned in social work school.
Pros
workshops by some of the top mental health providers in the country
Excellent place to work my boss who is an MD is amazing to work for I have learned so much from him
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MASeptember 26, 2014
A busy day every day. Combination of patient care and administration functions. Not a day goes by that I do not learn something or teach something new. My boss is one heck of a MD I learn alot from him with regards to patient care and administration. My co workers are the best they some of them are in recovery themselves and lead the way for the patients to turn their lives around. I respect each and every one of them for what they have been through and what they bring to the table The hardest part is the staff scheduling.Everyone needs their time off and with staffing shortage it makes it very hard to accommadate them while still maintaining a budget. The most enjoyable part is getting a patient in through the doors and watching my team of Drs, nurses and CRCs do their magic and work their job in getting the patient on the right track.
Pros
hospital administration is always doing some type of function to recognize employees
Cons
budget restraints for patient care
Research
Health information specialist (Current Employee) –  Belmont, MAMarch 11, 2015
Great place to research but get paid very poorly. We are affiliated with Harvard which is a plus but you may not always be paid.
Pros
great people to work with, i didn't learn much that i haven't already learned maybe dealing with office bureaucracy better.
Cons
low pay no opportunities to move up

4.5