McLendon Hardware Employee Reviews

Hard working and getting things done
Lumber Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 28, 2017
I get all my work done everyday. I work hard and I don't stop working until it's time to go. I get along with my coworkers and help them out as much as I can and still get my things done.
Big company with family values
RELOCATION AND DEVELOPMENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 13, 2016
McLendons is not the best wage but the family still owns and operates the business. They try to the best they can with 7 stores and 600 employees. Better than the big box stores!
Too much to do and not enough time to do it!!
Building Material Sales (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 14, 2016
While helping customers is the #1 focus of this company, sometimes the support systems to actually do this is poor. They try, but staffing to budget is tough.

The hardest part of the job is the customer. Not everyone reacts the same to your approach (they may consider you rude if you don't stop helping someone else to help them or if you ask questions for clarification they think you're being impertinent) and if they write a comment about it, you will get written up and/or fired. No effort is really made to understand where the breakdown in communication happened - with you or with the customer. It's very hard to work when you have that hanging over your head, the added stress just makes it really difficult to have fun and really do your best.
Pros
Consistent schedule, okay benefits
Cons
Not enough staffing, pay doesn't match experience level, hyper-critical reviews (nearly 7 pages of stuff) that don't really match the job.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 28, 2016
fun place to work, great people, loved the customers and all the random items they carried
management team was pretty cool.
they have a great 1 week training course that tells you all about the company loved that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Family owned company with many hard to find items
Sales - Garden Center (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 6, 2016
Excellent opportunity to interact with local community
Friendly customer service and willing to special order items
Enjoyable work environment.
Sales Representative/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAApril 27, 2016
Typical day included helping customers with products to achieve project completion, working with vendors to ensure proper shipments of supplies, stocking of goods ad general interfacing with the public.
Cons
Little room for advancement in the company
Poor pay - too bureaucratic
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 16, 2016
The pay is low. The staff turnover is constant. The management is more interested in "the policy" then the customers. They do not value their staff. You may as well go work for Home Depot; same bureaucracy with better pay.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
pay and benifits
Decent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 10, 2016
Overall McLendon Hardware was a fun place to work, with a staff that was decent to work with. I had a great time and made some good money. The bad thing was that due to heavy lifting it would sometimes hurt my back.
Pros
hour long lunch break
Cons
Long hours with heavy lifting hard on back
Keeps you busy and you meet fun people
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 19, 2015
As with most jobs, management can always be improved, and for a mom & pop store they offer pretty good benefits. 401k, paid time off, health & dental and (some) paid holidays. Working with contractors can be frustrating but your coworkers make it a fun place to work.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, good hours for a retail business, mostly set schedules
Cons
Hours get cut in off seasons, departments get short handed frequently
Not a good place to work
Cashier/Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 9, 2015
You would think being a local business that started out as a mom and pop that it would be a good place to work but it's not. Management is extremely rude and caters to the McLendons who work there, it's as if they can do no wrong which is extremely frustrating. There's an extremely high turnover rate for cashiers. Many people quit because of how they were treated and there's next to no opportunities for advancement. My direct manager seemed to have a personal vendetta out against me so that just generally made my experience pretty negative. They move you schedule around with little to no notice and get upset if you say anything about it. It's just not a great place to work.
Cons
bad management, cater to family members, inconsistent schedule
Fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 25, 2015
Enjoyable and supportive work environment. Managers are responsive and the corporation makes a good effort to do right by their employees. Co-workers are fun to work with.
Pros
Great management, great co-workers, socially responsible company
Cons
low wages, not enough full time positions
Friendly Staff, Great people
Certified Stock Picker Operator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 21, 2015
I worked for McLendon Hardware and it was an overall great experience. Friendly staff, great management. Plenty of room for advancement within the company.
Creative place to work
Visual Merchandiser II (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 7, 2015
I have no comment on this company at this time, due in part to me being laid off without notice and or compensation. But I will say this my typical day was great, I've learned not to trust others on the job, management could improve on being honest and straight forward.
Enjoyed both the employees and the Customers
Inventory Control/Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 20, 2015
As a lead, I had all the responsibility with little authority.
I was responsible for not only the receiving staff but the accuracy of the incoming orders and paperwork.
I also had the responsibility to make sure all department staff knew how to manage their inventory and had to train them on how to use the equipment needed to do so.
I facilitated the yearly physical inventory and sometimes had to put in 18 hour days to do so.
This was a family owned and managed company which has it's challenges.
Often management would set employees up to fire them and replace them with family members.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Family drama
Not very pleasant.
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Renton, WA (warehouse)October 10, 2014
The job used to fun, energetic place to work. The company and management has changed for the worst. Its almost like working for a concentration camp. With no advancement possibility. I have moved up in every position I have ever been at except here. They would rather bring in temporary employee's that do not know anything about the job then promote someone within.
Pros
Cons
management
great place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 7, 2014
family enviroment always taking care of the customer. pleasant place to work. The management takes care of their employees at all cost.
Pros
peaceful
Cons
no raises
Fun Working Environment
Yard Worker/Loader (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WaJune 26, 2014
Co-Workers make you feel like you're a family
Management was great
A working team atmosphere at its finest
Pros
Co-workers feel like family
Cons
Pay
Work here is ok
Sales Assocatie (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 8, 2014
Need to have better benifts more hours

less fighting among the staff
Great Coworkers but rules are weird
Front End (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAFebruary 12, 2014
I loved working here but they have some odd rules about sick days. Pay was fine, and they are honest about not letting you work more than 35hrs a week which was also fine.
Cons
Breaks are also weird.
Wonderful Place to Work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WADecember 2, 2013
I loved working here but had to move and the commute was just too much.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLendon Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9