McLendon Hardware Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WASeptember 11, 2017
You may be at work but it never consistently felt like work. The people that work their are great and welcoming and they come from all backgrounds. I learned leadership skills and office skills that I've since expanded on.
Great Company to Work For
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Renton, WASeptember 4, 2017
Overall, this was one of the best companies that I've ever worked for. They really care about their employees. The pay was very competitive, benefits were great, and there were many opportunities for advancement.
Worst place to work!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 22, 2017
If you are starting or ending your career then this may fit you otherwise it's a waste of time. No advancement at all you get paid pebbles for the amount of drama and things you gotta deal with! Trust me you don't want to work at this place.
Great Place to work
Distribution Center General Manager (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 9, 2017
I enjoy my job and the people I work with daily. Nice company discounts, competitive benefits. The management try and keep the environment fun, always keep the customer first.
Was an family oriented business
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 11, 2017
McLendon Hardware is an interesting and very nice place to work, keeping in mind that this is no longer a family business and has no ties to the PNW.
Pros
Smaller stores
Cons
No longer owned by McLendon family
Fast paced and fun work environment
Warehouse Worker II (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 29, 2017
A typical day at Mclendons Hardware day starts with a morning stretch, then proceeds to our day tasks. The daily tasks include picking, receiving, and putting away items.
Familey atmosphree
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Puyallup, WAFebruary 27, 2017
A great place to work if your going through School or have children and want a part time job to work, but all in all schedule of work hours changes from day to day.
Hard working and getting things done
Lumber Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 28, 2017
I get all my work done everyday. I work hard and I don't stop working until it's time to go. I get along with my coworkers and help them out as much as I can and still get my things done.
Fun place
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 3, 2017
This is a fun environment to work in, helping people with their home improvement needs. The co-workers are great. Scheduling around home life is sometimes difficult.
Big company with family values
RELOCATION AND DEVELOPMENT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 13, 2016
McLendons is not the best wage but the family still owns and operates the business. They try to the best they can with 7 stores and 600 employees. Better than the big box stores!
Too much to do and not enough time to do it!!
Building Material Sales (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 14, 2016
While helping customers is the #1 focus of this company, sometimes the support systems to actually do this is poor. They try, but staffing to budget is tough.

The hardest part of the job is the customer. Not everyone reacts the same to your approach (they may consider you rude if you don't stop helping someone else to help them or if you ask questions for clarification they think you're being impertinent) and if they write a comment about it, you will get written up and/or fired. No effort is really made to understand where the breakdown in communication happened - with you or with the customer. It's very hard to work when you have that hanging over your head, the added stress just makes it really difficult to have fun and really do your best.
Pros
Consistent schedule, okay benefits
Cons
Not enough staffing, pay doesn't match experience level, hyper-critical reviews (nearly 7 pages of stuff) that don't really match the job.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAAugust 28, 2016
fun place to work, great people, loved the customers and all the random items they carried
management team was pretty cool.
they have a great 1 week training course that tells you all about the company loved that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Family owned company with many hard to find items
Sales - Garden Center (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 6, 2016
Excellent opportunity to interact with local community
Friendly customer service and willing to special order items
Enjoyable work environment.
Sales Representative/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAApril 27, 2016
Typical day included helping customers with products to achieve project completion, working with vendors to ensure proper shipments of supplies, stocking of goods ad general interfacing with the public.
Cons
Little room for advancement in the company
Poor pay - too bureaucratic
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 16, 2016
The pay is low. The staff turnover is constant. The management is more interested in "the policy" then the customers. They do not value their staff. You may as well go work for Home Depot; same bureaucracy with better pay.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
pay and benifits
Decent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 10, 2016
Overall McLendon Hardware was a fun place to work, with a staff that was decent to work with. I had a great time and made some good money. The bad thing was that due to heavy lifting it would sometimes hurt my back.
Pros
hour long lunch break
Cons
Long hours with heavy lifting hard on back
Keeps you busy and you meet fun people
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 19, 2015
As with most jobs, management can always be improved, and for a mom & pop store they offer pretty good benefits. 401k, paid time off, health & dental and (some) paid holidays. Working with contractors can be frustrating but your coworkers make it a fun place to work.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, good hours for a retail business, mostly set schedules
Cons
Hours get cut in off seasons, departments get short handed frequently
Not a good place to work
Cashier/Garden Associate (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAOctober 9, 2015
You would think being a local business that started out as a mom and pop that it would be a good place to work but it's not. Management is extremely rude and caters to the McLendons who work there, it's as if they can do no wrong which is extremely frustrating. There's an extremely high turnover rate for cashiers. Many people quit because of how they were treated and there's next to no opportunities for advancement. My direct manager seemed to have a personal vendetta out against me so that just generally made my experience pretty negative. They move you schedule around with little to no notice and get upset if you say anything about it. It's just not a great place to work.
Cons
bad management, cater to family members, inconsistent schedule
Fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 25, 2015
Enjoyable and supportive work environment. Managers are responsive and the corporation makes a good effort to do right by their employees. Co-workers are fun to work with.
Pros
Great management, great co-workers, socially responsible company
Cons
low wages, not enough full time positions
Friendly Staff, Great people
Certified Stock Picker Operator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 21, 2015
I worked for McLendon Hardware and it was an overall great experience. Friendly staff, great management. Plenty of room for advancement within the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLendon Hardware. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9