McMenamins Employee Reviews

Great benefits, environment and opportunity. Poor everything else.
Server/Bartender manager (Former Employee) –  AllAugust 13, 2016
After many years with the company and eventually making my way up the ladder I was able to see all sides of the business, good and bad. And first off, not a disgruntled ex-employee. Ex-employee for sure but I still frequent the establishments often. Love what the company does with old buildings and the things they provide to the community. Just an honest review of how this company treats staff.
At first I was totally in love with the company, great benefits (discounts on rooms, food & beer!), historic buildings and a pretty cool culture. What more could you ask for?

Breaks? Not so much. Management was keen on saying "when we can" "it's too busy" but when wasn't it busy? It's McMenamins, it's always busy. In fact it felt like you would be punished for asking for a break, often being given a break last if at all.

Training? 6 days - learn the basics of their beer, wine, spirits and coffee, menu and 28 points of service. Take 7 or so tests, one of which you have to pass day 1 or will be sent home and may never return (or so I was told). Need more time, hats fine but everyone will talk about how you needed 7 days to do what some did on 4 or 5. Trainer pass you through quickly because the manager needs servers? Get a negative comment or shopper report, it's 100% on you, you should have known better you passed training!

Employee concerns? Don't even bother saying anything. Management would often just say "the brothers wouldn't go for that" "we don't do that here" "did you tell so-and-so? It's their department". Even calling HR wouldn't work. I always thought HR was there
  more... to protect and support the employees, with McMenamins the whole HR department is there to protect the business and the managers in charge, that's it. Even in the event of serious matters like discrimination or harrasment as an employee you were made to feel powerless and often that you were at fault (personal and peer representations of events). An employee even got sick from work conditions and the initial course of action was to write them up for being unfit for duty. What? Take care of the employees health and then worry about performance issues. Heck maybe just see if the employee did get sick because of something at work. OSHA? Oh wait, they haven't been inspected in a while...

Cleanliness? Are the GM's coming? Better clean then. Besides that only a surface cleaning was even bothered with, just enough to make it look good on the outside. Hand washing? Most of the servers never washed theirs hands, even after touring dirty dishes. Gross!

Performance? Better be careful of those secret shoppers! If you get less than a 95% you will be written up. Oh you got written up? Did those things actually happen? Probably not. Management almost never properly investigated claims of policy violation, unless you were very clearly an hour late and hungover. But as long as your were friends with the manager you are good, no write up for you :) in fact many of the people I worked with were disciplined for events that never happened or didn't happen the way the manager portrayed.

The bottom line. That's what is #1. Not the guest, not the employee, not even the manager. It's all about the $$$. And believe me the my make plenty. That pint of beer you just spent $5.75 on, it cost them about $0.84 to produce it. That $14 burger that was probably over/under done, yeah that cost about $3.10 to produce. That $8.85 basket of fries, $0.80. Yeah sure, there's labor, building maintenance etc... built into to that price and they want to actually make money. But considering the quality of product, is it with it?

I could go on. But by now you must be wondering if it was so bad why did I, and many others continue to work there and accept promotions. It's simple, the environment attracts really wonderful people that make it feel like a family. That despite the negatives you get to work next to really awesome people. Educated, travelled, humorous people.
They make the promotions sound so good. It's like that infomercial for that juicer you just watched. You bought it didn't you? The same thing happens over and over, turn over after turn over. Most of the upper management is there because they lost their moral compass years ago, the Kool-Aid is pretty good (I had a few sips myself).
What's that? Free food and drink at meetings? Overnight trips to other properties. A trip to the brothers personal cabin? Sounds great, I'll sign on the dotted line! I get how much PTO? Raises? Wow this just keeps getting better and better!

Id it's too good to be true, it probably is!

Requesting PTO unless you happen to be a property manager, GM or your last name was McMenamin, good luck. Raises, your manager likely "didn't see that email", or oh you just happen to have a performance issue around that time (remember that, you probably didn't even do it to begin with).

I left this company because of the lack of fair treatment of employees across the board, biased decisions, clique like managers and unethical treatment of employees.

If this sounds like something you want to be a part of, have fun! Make sure to use that 50% off to-go wine discount before the Kool-Aid runs out (or someone else decides they want yours)
Pros
Good benefits, good wine, beer and spirits, nice environment
Cons
Management, training, everything else
comfortable environment
Line cook/prep cook (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJune 21, 2016
Busy fast paced atmosphere most of the time understaffed. Upper management is more concerned with meeting labor goals than customer satisfaction. Overall i enjoyed my time with the company.
Pros
Good hours good food
Cons
under staffed
It was very cozy it was laid back dim lights very nice servers it was a hotel/ spa/ restaurant
Hostess, Food Runner, Server (Former Employee) –  Forest Grove, ORFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day was fast paced but it was a constant routine very loud bands played it was very fun, when it was slow only served regulars but in a small town thats usually how it was
I learned more with customer complaints, became a great hostess, gained great friendships
My manager was very unorganzied, very hurtful, acted immature and reason why I left mcmenamins
They were so supportive during bad times they were loving and great people I miss them
Was dealing with manager and how she treated me
Was coming to work on sunday mornings and seeing all my coworkers waitng for me to get there is a blended caramel coffee for me and how happy I was to see pretty much my second family!
Pros
However many hours you worked got half off of any food
Cons
Unfair Rude Manager
Great Summer Job
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAAugust 26, 2015
Greet guests, take orders, bring drinks, serve food and handle money. Busy place in the summer. Good for temp job. Staff is fun to work with and management is honestly amazing
Fun, laid back environment with room to grow.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2014
There are so many people at McMenamins that have been with the company for 10, 15 and even 20 years. This is rare in the hospitality industry but at McMenamins they take care of their employees with perks, benefits, and flexability. There is lots of room to grow into the Assistant Manager role and plenty of opportunity to transfer throughout Oregon and Washington but it gets very competitive at the HQ level and Pub Manager, General Manager, District Manager levels because there are so many long-term employees vying for those positions.
Pros
concert/hotel perks. well known company
Cons
plenty of competition for upper management and hq positions.
horrible company
chef (Former Employee) –  portlandJuly 26, 2014
Terrible management, don't apply here underpaid and over worked, owner is crazy stay away!
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
everything else
Enjoyed working there
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJanuary 30, 2014
Unfortunately I had to quit since I was going to Nv to take care of my Aunt for a month.
Fun atmosphere
Host (Current Employee) –  troutdale, oregonSeptember 5, 2013
I've really enjoyed working for this company although it isn't my career.
Pros
nice employees, high volume
Cons
pay
Overworked and underpaid
Sever/Cook (Former Employee) –  SherwoodAugust 20, 2013
The worst restaurant I've worked at.(15-20 in 3 states). They will work you like a dog and pay with kibble. Management at my location were kids fresh out of school with little or no work experience. I could go on for days. . .
Pros
mark was the only good thing at this location.
Cons
no hours, 12+ tables per server, filthy kitchen, favoritism.
Low standards of customer service & employees
Office (Former Employee) –  PortlandApril 18, 2013
Sloppy/unorganized management. Terrible training of staff. Low/ infrequent raises. Low standards of customer service. Hard working is NOT in most employees vocabulary. Corporate structure/ management needs massive improvement
Great guests/customers and co-workers
Housekeeping, front desk, maintenance (Current Employee) –  Portland, OrMarch 11, 2013
Management needs a serious adjustment. Everyone who comes through our front doors is a blast to work with and the guests are fabulous!! Low tips however and I have yet to get a review or a raise...
Pros
paid breaks and lunch with food credit, employee rates for gift shop, hotel stays and concerts are awesome.
Cons
management is a complete mess, i do not recommend applying here.
Always a great atmosphere.
Trainer/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OregonFebruary 5, 2013
My coworkers have always been the best part of the job. Shifts range from just a few hours to up to twelve. At least the beer is good.
Great atmosphere
Server, Host (Current Employee) –  Portland, Troutdale, CorvallisDecember 31, 2011
I've worked for several locations with McMenamins over the last few years. I have had mixed emotions about this company after my first year. They do great things for their customers, but lack in some areas with their employees. But everyone I've ever worked with are great people. If you like working with others who like to work hard then this is the place to be. Just be ready to feel like your job is on the line every night.
Pros
meal credits, easy transfers, discount on wine and kegs
Cons
management..

2.8