MCMURRY UNIVERSITY

MCMURRY UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

Bosses that helped students be able to have time for schoolwork
Caller (Former Employee), Abilene, TXMay 3, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, free snacks, awesome historic stories
Cons: No health benefits, Max hours worked could be 12 hours
Greeted with smiles, work at McMurry is definitely a family environment. They trained us to be able to handle all situations and how to interact with alumni of all ages. I would come to work and start calling whichever list of alumni was chosen that day. I would call to update alumni information, inform them of events at the university, and give them the opportunity to financially support the university. Our managers were right there the whole time to support us. Co-workers during break were always laughing, having fun, and enjoying each other's company. We were a diverse group but it worked. The hardest part of the job was dealing with alumni that were displeased with the fact that McMurry changed their mascot from Indians to Warhawks. The most enjoyable part of the job was hearing all the stories and McMurry experiences, especially from alumni who lived during World Wars I and II.
I loved working as a student worker at McMurry University
Student Worker (Former Employee), Abilene, TexasApril 21, 2015
The hours at the library and working with the Religion Department were incredible. I consider the staff and faculty to be my family!
I loved teaching in my area
Associate Professor of Art and Design (Former Employee), Abilene, TXMarch 5, 2015
Pros: cheap lunches, healthcare, workout facilities, intelligent colleagues and students
Cons: multiple years of ongoing budget crisis
On a typical day I would teach two to three classes, see students for advising and help students during office hours. I might attend a committee meeting or sponsor a social club.

I learned allot from my students about what they want as customers and where they want to go in life after graduation. Many of the courses I taught were aimed at employable careers and I think in most cases students found work in those areas after graduating.

The hardest part of my job was trying to maintain a strong program while the school cut budgets and conducted layoffs.

Managing small classes of ten were my favorite types of classes, but I often had classes of up to 35. I really enjoyed working with students individually on their art and design projects to build strong portfolios. This was probably the most enjoyable part of the job. Its a great feeling to see students move from poverty into a middle class job with success. It was great to see them happy with their lives and know that I had a hand in making that happen.
Fun work place with great professors in charge.
Theatre Worker (Former Employee), Abilene, TXMay 22, 2014
Pros: free food on work days
Box office, answer calls and reserve tickets.
I learned how to paint sets, work with customers.
The management was organized and helpful.
The hardest part of that job was running the table saw.
The most enjoyable part of that job was directing a show.
Great family atmosphere
Admission (Current Employee), Abilene, TXAugust 14, 2013
fun day to day and always new adventures interacting with students
Very laid back environment
Transfer Counselor & International Coordinator (Current Employee), Abilene, TXMay 21, 2013
Pros: building long lasting relationships
Cons: healthcare, raises, bonus, compensation packages
Start my morning everyday at 7:00am. I start off by responding back to emails that were left after hours. Making phone calls and visiting with prospective students and families. At times I may be out traveling for my area.

I learned how to build meaningful relationships with students and families. Owning your territory and what it means to recruit.

Co-workers were very easily to get a long with and we worked really well as a team.

The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationship with students and letting them know that they have lots of opportunities out their for them to go to college. Getting to see a student you recruited graduate from college and start down their career path.
fun work place with a weight room
Wellness and Recreation Intern (Former Employee), Abilene, TXDecember 12, 2012
Pros: lifted weights, played basketball during free time
Cons: my job was for a class in college
My typical worked day included supervising and assisting the people lifting in the weight room, supervising intramural sports that we've planned for that day. I've learned more about responsibility not only for myself but for others as well and how to be a leader. My co-worker was my roommate in college and so we planned out everything at home when we didnt have time at school. I had a great manager whom was a great friend before my job. I played in basketball tournaments with him. There wasn't a hard part. The most enjoyable part of the job was supervising my fellow colleagues in the intramural sports we had such as flag football, softball, and volleyball.
Great experience!
Theatre Intern (Former Employee), Abilene, TXDecember 1, 2011
My time at McMurry was an internship while I was going to school. It wasn't great pay, but it was an internship, so pay isn't always to be expected. The experience I gained was wonderful and the professors are so knowledgeable.