McNeese State University Employee Reviews

summary
Student Union Board President (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LANovember 21, 2016
N/A Great Experience!! Enjoyed the job! The students and staff are great and hardworking. The parents are awesome and I enjoyed this job. I learned that working with people has rewards and to always view the bright side of everything in life. There was no hard part to this job, it was great.
pleasant hard-working students
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 10, 2016
Positive work environment. Students are pleasant and hard-working . I enjoyed my work experience at Mcneese State University. My departure was for the purpose of retiring. Following my retirement I discovered that I love my work and desire to return.
Pros
Students
Cons
Salary was frozen because of budget problems
Great times and sports
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJanuary 6, 2015
At McNeese State University I worked at the Recreational Center refereeing intramural sports. I refereed volleyball, soccer, football, baseball, and baskeyball. Throughout my time there I learned how to deal with angry people and calm them down as well as planning an event for a state football and volleyball tournament. The hardest part of the job was keeping calm when players would threaten me for making a bad call. The management over there is very helpful and willing to help out with school work and learning the sports, and the co-workers are other students. All of the employees were very helpful and fun to be around, but I enjoyed being around sports the most.
Pros
Worked Late Afternoon, Being around sports, and toher employees
Cons
angry players, and no raise
Workplace has become strained due to extreme legislative budget cuts
Professor of Statistics (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 26, 2016
Great employees pulling together during very trying economic times in the state of Louisiana. Terrific administrative support and good interdepartmental interaction.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Extreme budget cuts
Working
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 4, 2016
They are so caring about their employees. It is a wonderful environment to work in and go to school. They care about your education, they will work around your schedule for class.
fun workplace
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  lake Charles, LAAugust 21, 2015
Management always motivated me to work harder. My boss, supervisor always encourage me to do good. No politics, everybody respect each other.
Pros
friendly environment, breaks
Cons
pay
McNeese Writing Tutor
Senior writing tutor (Former Employee) –  Writing Center, Drew HallMay 5, 2016
I worked under former department head Dr. Delma Porter as a writing tutor. Typical activities included working with students to improve their writing in terms of clarity, conciseness, and style. I also worked with many ESL (English second language) students. Working with these students was the most challenging and rewarding part of the job.
Fun Workplace
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 29, 2016
It was a very easy job, i loved it! The most fun i had at any job hands down. If you ever decide to work at McNeese while going to school you will love doing it.
Internship
Track and Field Manager Internship (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 9, 2015
This was a internship towards my degree plan. No compensation or benefits received. I worked with track coaches and department heads. I set up events. I \worked with athlete's in their training and rehabing of injuries.
Pros
Enjoyed working with athlete's!
Cons
Long hours during track events!
No work/life balance
Student Baseball Coach (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 15, 2014
Good management with a very poor work/life balance. There is very few advancement opportunities when it comes to this job. Great staff but very little outside support.
Amazing teachers
Graduate assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 2, 2016
I was fortunate enough to get some great teachers, they are truly dedicated to their students and are passionate about what they teach and it shows. I wish they would offer more hands on experience and courses, I had to do that basically on my own in order to grasp what I was learning.
Pros
Great teachers
Cons
Not much internship opportunities
good school
Research Assistant, Dr. John Sullivan's Lab (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 3, 2016
Mcneese State University is a good school with a good engineering program
professors are helpful and care about each individuals
Amazing Place to Work!!
. (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 28, 2014
McNeese State University is a staple in the Lake Charles community. It is so much fun working for a University that cares about the students, the staff/faculty and the community.

I have learned so much in the time that I have worked for MSU and all of my co-workers are amazing. The benefits of being a state employee cannot be beat- the health care, life insurance, vision and dental are LESS than what I was paying in the private sector just for health insurance for my family.

You get to accrue quite a bit of time off and are actually encouraged to take your time off.

Simply put- if you have the opportunity to work at MSU, go for it! You will not regret it.
Pros
Benefits of State Employee, Hours, Time off (Comp, Annual & Sick)
Cons
Parking, Salary
University under the Louisiana State University system.
Lake Charles, LA (Former Employee) –  Graduate Assistant/TeacherNovember 4, 2011
I attended McNeese both for my undergrad and graduate degrees, so it felt like home to me. I was very excited to have been asked to fill in last minute for a professor who fell ill, and immediately began preparing for the teaching assignment. I taught two Educational Technology courses with a total of about 100 students. I loved the flexibility and freedom the position offered, and the people I worked with were great.
Pros
freedom, work/life balance, laid back atmosphere, great coworkers
Cons
location
Long hours but enjoyed every minute
Head College Basketball Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAAugust 30, 2012
-Traveling with team to games and keep the team and coaches organized
-My first real intense job learned the typical skills needed to make it
-Coaches gave me control and let me do things my way
-Co-workers who worked under me kept their job duties done at all times
-The hardest part was keeping up with working long hours and traveling while still in school, helped me learn a lot about keeping up with my day to day tasks
-Enjoyed working around basketball players and traveling to Colleges and meeting new people
Pros
surrounding community showing their support
Cons
no time off
Working on Campus
Student employee (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 8, 2013
A typical day at work here would include shelving books, watching the desk to answer questions that any students may have, and helping any department that needed help. I learned how to shelve books correctly, and how to use the computer program for the library. The management is very nice and so are the co-workers. The hardest part of the job would probably just be the pay. Its not the best pay for a college student. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the fact that sometimes I get the chance to study or work on homework.
Pros
on campus, nice employees
Cons
pay, hours
A place you got to see!
Varsity Softball Player (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 26, 2012
A gorgeous, small town feel to an awesome education! I loved the school and the teachers were so helpful. Tutoring and study hall was always available. Softball taught me so much over the years and I will never forget all of those lessons. Hardest part of the job was trying to balance out your life with practice/games, schoolwork and every day life. Time consuming! most enjoyable part of the job was the games and relationships that I took away from softball at McNeese State. I have made some of my best friends from there.
Pros
awesome atmosphere
Cons
long hours/weekends
great collage to start
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  lake Charles, LASeptember 11, 2015
great place to work and friendly co-worker. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with supportive management and learning a lot from them.
fun and worthwhile
lifegaurd/ rec attendant (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJanuary 19, 2016
Mcneese was as fun place to work for a college student and I am glad I was able to be employed there. Great enviroment even better campus
Pros
fun enviroment
Cons
bad pay
Enjoyable Job
Assistant Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 8, 2015
A typical day at work included assisting and supervising the strength and conditioning program, and providing assistance with player development. While working at McNeese State, I learned all aspects of recruiting, and the business aspects of collegiate sports. For example, I planned and arranged team travel, coordinated video exchange program, identified, and gathered appropriate resources for the team.
My co-workers were exceptional and a pleasure to work with.
At the time of employment, the hardest part of the job was the recruitment of players. I wasn't an effective communicator at the time, but progressed over the years.
The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling and teaching young ladies how to play the game of basketball.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McNeese State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3