McNichols Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Inside Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2017
The organization has changed management recently. It has become a terrible, cut-throat organization to work for. It is poorly managed and the only goal of the company is profit margin at the expense of the employees.
Pros
Micromanagement seems to be the "order of the day"
Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMay 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers with their individual needs and working with some team members that truly appreciate you and what you do. The hardest part of the job is being able to get everything accomplished when the workload has been heavy, phone calls are in high volume, or someone has been out in your department for any length of time and dealing with difficult management.

I have learned how to handle more responsibilities, time management, and how to work better under pressure. I do my very best and not try to allow things to get to me as much, realizing that I am only one person and that I will perform my job to the best of my ability each day.

The benefits are good, but the work load is sometimes extensive, phone call volume is very high and the hours are sometimes long. We are not allowed to use the computer for any personal use, either. Management tends to become heavily involved in policy and procedure..even when you are successfully performing your duties. Additionally, the minute you make the slightest mistake, be assured that it will be dealt with and re-hashed several times. Fellow employees are friendly to a point, but also form "cliques" as they did in high school.

The CEO is a very nice man, but either doesn't realize what happens at the branch level, or turns a "blind eye" to it.

When volume of work is at a high level because another fellow team member was out for vacation or sick, the other members must pick up the slack when they are out. However, when that individual returns and you are left trying to "catch up,"
  more... management doesn't want to hear why you have fallen behind and just expects you to get it done. If you don't, you will be reprimanded for it.  less
Pros
Company luncheons, free lunches/breakfast provided periodically, pretty good insurance
Cons
management is quite stringent and not very supportive, phone call volume is ridiculous, pressure to perform constantly-your best will never be good enough at this company
Low pay for high output
Sales (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAApril 19, 2017
Company has all the resources needed to keep employees engaged and as a byproduct create happy employees, but it falls short. Quarterly bonus program needs to be improved and clearly defined.
Pros
Great benefits and Co-workers
Cons
Pay
good atmosphere for small business
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2017
very busy all the time, tight deadlines, but good work life balance, very nice people and co-workers. Open to suggestions and changes to their business.
Pros
work life balance, benefits, coworkers
Cons
be prepared to work through lunch to attain goals, beware of frequent layoffs
Unorganized, poor management
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILDecember 8, 2016
This company was very unorganized. They play favoritism and have very poor management skills. They have very poor benefits. The business was very slow.
This was an excellent to work.
Temp Assignment (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 30, 2016
Typical day was a very busy one and loved the atmosphere. If there was an opportunity to go back I would. The co-workers and management were great.
Stay Away from the Charlotte Branch
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 4, 2016
just stay away from the charlotte branch is all i can say......everyone is so focused on SALES that everything else suffers
Pros
Cons
everything
Great Company
Welding and Fabrication Associate (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMarch 9, 2016
Great Company to work for. Management is great. Co-Workers are willing to help. Fun environment. Definitely a company that will help you grow .
Pros
Cross Training
Cons
great crew poor upper managment disconected
Assistant operations manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 22, 2016
typical day included quality / compliance check of previous days ship outs and fabrication work sheets, team meeting to discuss previous day performance safety issues and current days needs. review quality and safety matrixes . preform compliance checks . review time cards and employee time off requests . help the sales staff fill the customers needs for shipping and ship out times . help walk in customers with orders and fitting the best product to there needs. try to inform upper management of needs and issues .
the hardest part of the job was trying to talk to a disconnected upper management about issues in the branch . the best part of the job was that the crew was very good and the job was challenging .
Pros
great crew
Cons
disconnected managment
See below
Collection Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Tampa Oaks, FLJanuary 6, 2016
The hardest part of the job was when I had to refuse open credit to one of our customer's.

The McNichols family was a blessing to me.

I worked with a lot of good people and I do miss them.

The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with our customer's.

I really enjoyed collecting money because I spoke with a lot of different people daily.

I was with McNichols for 17 years and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Pros
Alot of good benefits
Cons
A very long drived. (80 miles a day)

Want to know more about McNichols?

Ask a question
Worst Job ever
Welder (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 30, 2015
The company runs it's operations based on economy lay offs happen every year.The people that work there are grown men back stabbing each other all day m.The two people that has been there for 25 years run and snitch to manager atleast 5 times A day.Very under paid welders they talk A good talk but do the exact opposite of what is promised.If you want to work with A company that is more worried about the gossip and your personal life this company is good for you.They record your personal convo and stalk you on web sites.They claim there Christian based company that is far from that.
Pros
A stepping stone.
Cons
No personal life.
They were a great Company to work for and I do miss them.
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2015
McNichols was a very good company.

I was laid off or I would still be working for them.

Co-workers were great people.

Seventeen years with McNichols should speak for the Company.
Pros
Work conditions were great
Cons
80 miles a day to work for them
Slave Drivers
Slave (Current Employee) –  Every PositionMay 7, 2015
From the first day there it's non stop. A lot of yelling and bossing around. They preach safety but expect you to work at a fast pace, almost everyone there is stressed out from over working. Mandatory ot without any notice. Understaffed, and no good senior leadership. No reasoning from higher ups. Not a good place to work. No raises
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
No raises, understaffed, too fast paced.
not a good place to work
welder (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick,NJJuly 1, 2014
I worked here a few years ago,i answered an ad for a "welder" when i applied for the job i was under the impression thats what i would be doing- i mean that was my background..but all i did was warehouse work.. they do not hire real welders- they get kids who want to be welders- they had one mig machine, and the kid doing the welding was doing a poor job- this company should stop posting looking for a welder,when they really want pickers and packers.. everyone there seemed to be unschooled in the welding trade,and very moronic.
Cons
low pay
Family organization
Senior Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GASeptember 18, 2013
The people of McNichols were the reason I stayed so long with them. Combining hard work and participation in events made it a great company to work for.
My typical day began with starting up machines including printers and computers. Checking overnight calls and passing to appropriate person. Taking calls, researching issues, checking on logistics of freight for customers. Working with warehouse on priority shipments and issues.
Calling past due accounts, setting up future steps and or researching customer issues with billing.
Setting up and arranging meetings and events for branch events.
Chaired the local United Way campaign.
Trained new customer service employees and monitored staff activity within the customer service department.
Helped train sales staff..
Daily and monthly payroll updates.
Work with IS department on computer updates, issues and training.
A day at McNichols
Purchasing Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 23, 2013
This was a very good company to work for they just downsized.
I would come in and check emails and reply or problem solve any issues.
I would work on the delinquent and problem invoices and try to get our money back if a vendor shipped short or the wrong parts. I got McNichols back a lot of money.
I would call customers and see if they need any new products if so I entered the info in.
I would check all 22 stores and their inventory and make sure we had everything correct in our system and in the warehouses.
I would also help with logistics and make sure our product was getting delivered on time.
I also filed claims with shipping companies.
Pros
Cons
Getting let go
Great Place to Learn
CSS (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJuly 18, 2013
This was a great job to break into the metals industry. This company is very innovative in the products they offer and the training is extensive. I did not come with a background in this industry, but learned so much during my time.

The sales branches are more like call centers and can be very busy. The expectations are a bit much but the effort to meet expectations are acknowledged if if you didn't meet them.

The hardest part of the job was to keep up with customer calls and all the parameters given in order to perform stellar service on every call.

The best part of the job was the customers. Most of them were enjoyable to talk to and easy to form relationships with.
Pros
Good benefits, flexibility with PTO
Cons
Lower pay for the industry, bonuses are subjective, not based on performance
Rapid Fire Sales
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Central NJJune 6, 2013
High paced inbound sales call environment. This position taught me to maintain a strong customer base through my attention to details despite not having face to face interaction. I prided myself on repeat business. Trick was to be thorough while keeping up with the pace of calls.
Insides Sales
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 30, 2013
In charge of a customer base. Follow order from order entry to shipping.
Review
Manager, Training Systems (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 14, 2013
Outstanding company to work. Company believes in family first and is part of the companies mission. Co-workers are friendly and everyone is a team player.
Pros
team members being on the same page
Cons
business is based on the economy