MD2U Employee Reviews

Rewarding work and supportive environment
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 7, 2017
This job allows me to serve a population that desperately needs the service I provide, and it is the most rewarding position I have had in healthcare. The management team and my coworkers are very supportive and open to any questions I have. The compensation is very good, especially since it is a Monday-Friday schedule.
Pros
rewarding, flexible schedule, compensation
Cons
driving (depending on territory)
Rewarding and Fulfilling Career
Recruitment Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 2, 2017
For nearly 9 years I have poured my heart and soul into MD2U in many different capacities. It's a small enough company where you can really make a difference no matter what your role. Having the resources and ability to impact patient lives in a truly meaning way...keeping them healthy, independent and at home is most gratifying and enriching!
Pros
Flexibility, work from home option, autonomy, ability to impact patients lives in a meaningful way, being rewarded financially for productivity and hard work, leadership that is attuned to their employees on all levels, paid vacations, health club membership.
Cons
Constant change that comes with the health care industry
Poor pay, poor leadership, pyramid scheme
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  KentuckyFebruary 14, 2017
financially crippling, expected to work for free to smooze home health agencies, When I didn't have enough visits to cover me. Mileage reimbursement is substandard, too much charting at the end of the day, told I would have plenty of patient visits but had half of what I was promised, too many narcotics prescribed with a poor tracking system, felt unsafe during some visits.
Pros
great for patients, loved the autonomy
Cons
poor pay, poor mileage compensation
February 15, 2017

At MD2U we appreciate constructive feedback, so thanks for giving us input we can consider as we move forward. We do ask our providers to build positive relationships with the partners we work with on behalf of our patients, like home health agencies, because we believe that as primary care providers it’s our responsibility to manage all aspects of our patients’ medical care. And as you noted, our providers enjoy a great deal of autonomy – that includes setting their own limits on how many patients they wish to see during their work day. While there may be fluctuations in patient volume based on a provider’s location, our support staff is always available to help providers build a successful practice of their own by creating relationships with potential patients in a provider’s community. As we explain to all of our providers, if they ever have concerns about internal practice processes they should reach out to their Provider Manager, who can assist with any issues or, if needed, escalate the issue to our Clinical Management team to be resolved. And we would never ask a provider to put himself or herself in harm’s way – our providers are instructed never to enter a situation that feels potentially unsafe. Canceling a visit for safety reasons is always appropriate.

Your thoughts on your MD2U experience are important to us, and we will use it as we continue to improve our practice and make our company a more rewarding and fulfilling place to work.

Difficult
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVOctober 31, 2016
Start up market that was built with very little company support to establish patient base then recruit additional providers for growing patient need, therefore, market did not grow and practice closed. Typical provider work day 10-12 hours 5/days week with 24/7 call initially. then call was reduced to 1 day every 4 days. Premise of the company is phenomenal; education was outstanding.
Worst decision of my career...Nurse Practitioner
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 13, 2016
MD2U offers a wonderful resource for those patients who truly need the service, and there are many in this country who are in need. However, changes will have to be made in order to improve the working conditions for the providers in order to combat the high turn over rate. This job was the biggest mistake of my career. I put in more hours each day and made less money than I ever have in my career. You only get paid when you see a patient, and the rate is low compared to other companies doing the same thing. You may drive to the patients house and them not be home...this equals zero money for you. Seeing the patients is the easy part of the job. The amount of work you take home, however, is a completely different story. Providers are bombarded with messages that must be addressed, often on patients you have never even seen and know nothing about. I would spend hours answering these messages and still have a full inbox. 16 hour long days and a minimal amount of money for this amount of work... You are promised schedule flexibility, which may be true in that you can take off a day or start an hour later if you chose, but beware that you will pay for it in the end.
Pros
Doing home visits gets you out of the traitional office setting.
Cons
Way too many hours for the pay. The amount of money you can make sounds good on paper, but they don't tell you about all of the administrative work you will have at the end of the day.
Only the provider managers make good money, poor income security
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 30, 2016
They boast that NPs can make tons of money there, but it is highly unlikely. Provider managers make great money, but for providers it is hit or miss and you really don't have any control over how much you make. You can say that you want to see X number of patients in order to meet a certain income goal, but there are too many providers for every provider to be able to meet those goals. There is no incentive for doing a quality job. Pay is quantity-based rather than quality-based. You can be one of the best providers there, but there are no financial-related rewards for doing a wonderful, quality job. Therefore, many providers feel underappreciated. The work/life balance is great, but that doesn't matter much if you're not making enough money to support you life & family. Without the NPs this company could not exist, so the compensation should match their importance to the company. Vacation pay is terrible, probably half of what your weekly salary goal would probably be, so forget taking vacations. It's impossible to know what to expect or to set a good budget, because you can make okay money one week, but the next week you make less than an RN. Changes really need to be made.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
pay, unpredictible, job insecurity, poor benefits
Would NOT recommend this company to anyone!
NP (Former Employee) –  KentuckyMay 31, 2016
Poor communication between co workers which effects the patients tremendously and makes it near impossible to provide good care to patients (especially based on the time limits they pushed providers to spend with their patients which was 10-15 minutes INCLUDING completion of charts, orders, assessments, prescriptions, vitals, etc). The patients were being told multiple different things (timing/change in provider/date they were to be seen/etc) due to too many hands in the pot behind the scenes frequently. This made it a bad experience for patient and provider due to inability to build a longterm trusting relationship with them. The turn over rate is so fast that the structural foundation of this company is not solid, making it difficult to feel secure in your job or feel as if things are getting done the right way (or at all for that matter). Pay scale has changed and the money is not that great like they claim nor is it worth the amount of time you'll be spending outside of your work schedule. Overall, I began to be embarrassed to be associated with their company's name based on the increasing amount of comments after talking to patients, pharmacies, Home Health personnel, and even other physicians and co-workers. Don't work here if you want a lasting reliable career that doesn't require multiple hours of your personal life outside of your actual work schedule either!! I will NEVER recommend this terrible employer to another person as long as I live.
Pros
You get to choose your start time for the day with some stipulations
Cons
Huge workload outside actual work hours, salary NOT worth it, poor communication between all entities, rapid turnover rate, bad corporate structural foundation
June 3, 2016

MD2U has had tremendous growth and success over our 12 years of serving America’s frail, elderly and disabled patients. This growth and success can be attributed to the great need for the type of care we provide and to the outstanding clinical skill, leadership and dedication the 120 nurse practitioners we employ have demonstrated. They are wonderful people with exceptional skills in a variety of areas which is why they are generally so successful.

This is a unique position that offers flexibility, autonomy and the ability to have an above average income. However, some nurse practitioners we have employed have been unable to perform as we require. We set a high standard at MD2U, and this is not a position for everyone. Typically, employees who do not succeed here are unable to perform in one or more of three areas. Some are not equipped with the clinical knowledge and skill to care for very sick, frail, chronically ill elderly patients. Some are not technologically proficient at navigating the EMR and multi-tasking through a busy day. Others are not comfortable working in the home environments that can be far less than the sterile environments of the office practice or the hospital setting. This workplace can be very challenging at times and it is not for everyone.

Those of us who work at MD2U, we who have succeeded in our various roles, are very proud of the outstanding work we do and of the fact that we have served tens of thousands of Americans that need us the most. We, like all growing companies, have growing pains, and we are working every day to recognize those  more... issues and improve our processes and procedures so that patients get the best care possible and that employees get the opportunity to grow, and create a rewarding career. Many MD2U employees are doing this now, but some will fail. We wish them well and we hope they find the career that best fits their skill set.

I need to speak, however, to several untruths and misrepresentations included in the above review. Our providers average six patient visits per day. Some may see a few more and some a few less, typically dependent on their patients’ needs and, where they are located geographically. If we asked all of our providers to complete their work in 10 to 15 minutes per patient, that would only equate to 60 to 90 minutes of effort per day plus, some drive time. That does not meet the MD2U standard of care we demand of our clinical staff on behalf of our patients. My advice to anyone thinking about joining the MD2U team is not to take the word of an anonymous former employee who may not have left under ideal circumstances. Apply here, come visit us, and talk to some of the 120 successful nurse practitioners who are a medical lifeline for the thousands of patients - and families - we serve.

J. Michael Benfield, MD
President/CEO

The worst employer in my work experience
PCC (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 26, 2016
I'll keep this short and simple. When you read all the negative reviews, take heed. The concept behind the company is great - those in charge have no business running a company with the exception of the CFO. This company has been investigated numerous times by government agencies. You do not get compensated for the amount of work they will force upon you - citing you need to "prove" yourself. What a subjective term. You have supervisors in charge who don't know their subordinates job processes, as a result you will get very frustrated, all the while they sit on the cell phones all day.

These reviews are so truthful and real, the company's own CCO has felt the need to get on these websites and justify and make excuses instead of listening and changing. In fact, I KNOW the positive reviews are written by supervisors. Sad.
Pros
They will hire anybody - desperate for employees.
Cons
Too many to list
Terrible Employer - job made life miserable
PCC (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 5, 2016
This company is highly unorganized which results in many negative outcomes. Patients get different PCP every few months which really confuses the patients that may already have memory issues, confusion, etc.. The patients hate when this happens and the PCC has to explain these changes in a revolving cycle. Management is one of the biggest issues with this company. Some of the people who they have placed in charge of departments have never even been trained on the tasks that their subordinates are completing. When help is needed, the supervisor passes the task along to someone else citing "I've just never been trained on that so I need you to take care of it." When a caller is demanding to s/w the supervisor of the dept., that task is delegated to a subordinate to act like a supervisor because the actual supervisor will not assist with much of anything, especially angry callers. These issues were documented over a 6 month period and emailed to HR and the only response that was given was "thanks for letting me know." The supervisor's behavior did not change in the least leading subordinates to assume nothing was done about the situation. Many great employees have left this company because of management and organization during the time that I have been employed. I have seen a strict overall decline over the last 6-8 months with nothing indicating this will change. The most vital dept. to the company's growth(practice development) has downsized tremendously in the last 6 months. STAY AWAY!
Pros
Most co-workers are hard workers and committed to each other
Cons
Everything but the co-workers that make the job almost bearable
Terrible job.......the worst job I ever had.
ARNP (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJanuary 31, 2016
I was told there were enough patients in my territory for a Full Time job , but there isn't. More extra uncompensated work AFTER the regular work day. ....in the form of voicemails, emails, etc . Single errors on charts, patients not home , means no income.....all together working 12 hour shifts everyday with compensation MUCH LESS than when I was working as an RN.
If you aren't afraid of hard work without pay....sign up for MD2U. . The only ppl that benefit from MD2U is MD2U. Great service for the disabled and homebound but TERRIBLE for an ARNP.
You can definitely believe the other reviews I was skeptical at first......but now I'm a believer!
As soon as I get experience. ...I am gone!
Pros
Good for the homebound patient
Cons
Pay, poor incentives, expensive benefits, misrepresentation of true working conditions, long work days, need I say more?
February 4, 2016

We regret that that this position was not right for you and we wish you the very best in the future. We now have over 100 Nurse Practitioners who find the work to be intellectually, emotionally AND financially rewarding. We encourage those interested in working for an employer that values your hard work to inquire, knowing this may be the toughest job you will ever love.

MD2U is an innovative healthcare company on a mission to improve the overall healthcare system by improving the lives of our patients. This is a daunting task and requires dedicated employees focused on our mission.

Working as a Nurse Practitioner for MD2U is rewarding and difficult and certainly is not for everyone. Our best NPs are highly organized and embrace our mission of helping those who need help the most.

Nurse practitioners beware
NP (Former Employee) –  IndianaOctober 31, 2015
I was completely lied to. I was told there was a full-time position, there were enough patients in my area to support a huge salary. Which is how they get you. That is a complete lie. You will financially crippled yourself if you take this position. You've been warned. They offer zero benefits zero CME zero call pay and the insurance for a family is extremely EXPENSIVE. Worst career decision of my life
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Impossible to make what they claim
Billing and Coding Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Billing DepartmentOctober 21, 2015
I have worked at MD2U for over 4 years now, it has not always been easy but what good things are? There have been ups and downs with the company as we adjusted to our "growing pains" I believe that is what a lot of the negative reviews are about on here.
Not for my department but in others there is the feeling of "micromanagement" but that is only because in the medical field it is of great importance that things are charted and completed CORRECTLY. That is why there is a lot of follow up and review of what people do on a daily basis.
Overall I love this company because of the good we do for our community. We have an awesome group of Nurse Practitioners and Physicians that go out to the sickest of the sick patient homes and deliver them the care they otherwise would not be able to obtain. Even being as hands off as we are in the office you cannot help but feel great about what you are contributing to on a daily basis.
The hardest part of working at MD2U is adjusting the "constant changes" NOT with our company but with the Medical Industry in general. Regulations and restrictions are always changing inevitably causing our jobs to change. You must be able to accept change and just roll with the punches to work here.
They offer great benefits (especially for those just graduating college) 401K, Insurance, PTO, Paid Gym Membership, and multiple employee appreciation treats such as the ice cream truck and lunches.
I have always been encouraged and pushed to be the best person and employee that I can be by management. I appreciate and love my job, my coworkers and this company.
Pros
benefits, rewarding job, excellent co workers and management team
Worst job I ever had!!!!
PCC (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KySeptember 2, 2015
Being an MD2U PCC was the worst job I've ever had. Supervisors and team leads micromanaged to the point that they would misconstrue patient information. The job as a PCC was a joke. I was horribly mislead during my interview. I came from working in the community and thought this job would allow me to continue to do so. It's a call center. It's beyond stressful. I was told that there would be opportunities for growth but there aren't. There are collateral moves but very few opportunities to move up. Having a medical background or training is not required to be a PCC which almost seems fraudulent given the responsibilities PCCs are required to complete. The "benefits" aren't worth the headache. I REALLY wish i had read the reviews before accepting the PCC position. I am so much happier now that I work for an agency that encourages me to be as successful as possible.
October 1, 2015

The role of Patient Care Coordinator at MD2U is a demanding entry level position that requires strong organization and communication skills. Many of our PCCs have excelled in this role and have been promoted to managerial roles in other areas of the company. We are sorry that you have had such a negative experience with our company and we are concerned that you feel that you were deceived during the hiring process. We wish that we had done a better job of explaining the position to you during the hiring process and we are happy that you have found a new position that more accurately matches your skills. If you have specific ideas for changes that would make the PCC position more rewarding please call me at 1-866-379-2767. Dave Spindle Chief Recruiting Officer MD2U

Fun co-works but poor job
Patient Care Coorditior (Current Employee) –  LouisvilleAugust 11, 2015
Your day is filled with lots of works, phone calls and patient demanding you to make miracles work for them to be seen, refills and test results.
Pros
Paid Gym Membership
Cons
You don't get to move up in the company unless you suck up to the right people, You don't get paid for the hard work you put in for the company.
Not what they say it is going to be
ARNP (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 8, 2015
The concept of caring for patients in their home is great. What they don't tell you when they are trying to hire you or at training is they want you to bill a level 4 visit every time. Even if a patient just called about a cough or sore throat, they want you to address other problems to bill a higher level. The charting system is very tedious and your charts will have to be completed at the end of the day. You only get $50 per visit, so if you have a lot of miles to travel between patients you are not getting paid. If you drive 40 miles to a patients house and they aren't there, you don't get paid. If you make a mistake in your charting, you don't get paid. The best part though is the never ending messages, labs, hospital records, etc that will be waiting for you at the end of your day that have to be reviewed and acted upon if necessary most of which you will also not be paid for. This is also the case if you take time off. The non-urgent messages will be there waiting for you upon your return from the vacation that you will not get paid for. There are mandatory staff meetings and training sessions required that you also won't get paid for. I'm glad the patients have this service, but the only people this seems to be a good deal for is the patients and those in the corporate office.
Pros
Flexible schedule, nice staff
Cons
Requires many, many more hours per day after hours to complete required work
August 7, 2015

We are sorry that you have had such a negative experience with our company and are especially concerned that you feel that you were deceived during the hiring process. Our model is different and our providers are a cut above. While we don’t pay a salary, as you mentioned, the fact is that our providers are able to earn above average incomes for seeing their patients and still have time to complete the ancillary activities you mentioned. They set their own schedules and enjoy the flexibility to take time off when they need to. This is a demanding job and certainly not for everyone….we wish that we had done a better job of explaining that to you earlier in the process.

MD2U

Great place to make a difference everday
Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 29, 2015
MD2U provides a desperately needed service to patients who are unable to leave their homes to receive healthcare. Working at MD2U makes you feel as though you are making a change in people's lives everyday. The office environment is mainly young professionals who are recent graduates. As a patient care coordinator you will be asked to be the middle man between a nurse practitioner and his/her patients. Unfortunately, more and more is placed on a patient care coordinator while nothing is taken away. This makes it difficult to complete all daily tasks while providing outstanding patient care. The executive team is readily available throughout the office but the company's hierarchy make it nearly impossible to think outside the box and have your voice heard. Unfortunately, the office employees are treated like high schoolers instead of the young professionals that they are.
August 7, 2015

Thank you for your comments about MD2U being a force for positive change in people’s lives everyday! We agree and work hard to serve the growing number of people who need our services. Patient Care Coordinators do indeed have a difficult but very meaningful job meeting the needs of our patients. The rapid change in medicine today requires that we often update our processes to respond and while this may make the job more difficult we hope it doesn’t detract from the satisfaction that goes with servicing this patient population. We strive to treat all of our employees with the respect they deserve and appreciate your raising our attention to these issues.

Chief Recruitment Officer
MD2U

Good vision for patient care, poor incentives for APRNs
NP (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJune 25, 2015
-If you want a 'hierarchical, top down management without innovation from everyone' infrastructure, join MD2U

-If you want to work your a** off to make up for time to be missed (vacation, sick, personal time off) because there's NO paid time off, join MD2U

-If you want micromanagement and lack of control over APRN administrative and role functions, join MD2U

-If you want to be paid less than the federal rate for mileage reimbursement, and without any explanation from management as to why mileage reimbursement is not on par with federal rates, join MD2U

-If you want to go home every night with work to do, join MD2U

-If you want to answer all computer messages, fill out all patient paperwork, review all labs, and be hassled everyday to see a patient who's family has called requesting that the patient be seen, join MD2U

-If you want to go to educational conferences by paying your own way, because there is NO allotment for CEUs, join MD2U

-If you want to work where being on-call is not compensated, and is deemed "as part of the job", and still being attached to your computer, join MD2U

-If you want to be reimbursed for only a fraction of what it costs to make daily, reimbursable patient visits, join MD2U

-If you want to work under a 'pyramid scheme', join MD2U

and do I need to go any further?
August 7, 2015

We are sorry that you have had such a negative experience with our company. Our model is different and our providers are a cut above. While we don’t pay a traditional salary, the fact is that our providers are able to earn above average incomes for seeing their patients and still have time to complete the ancillary activities you mentioned. They set their own schedules and enjoy the flexibility to take time off when they need to. This is a demanding job and certainly not for everyone….we wish that we had done a better job of explaining that to you earlier in the process.

MD2U

Stressful & negative place to work
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  louisville kyApril 11, 2015
The company has a good mission and we help care for thousands of patients who need & depend on the service provided. The company is not organized. It is hard to keep up with all the changes and new processes that are rolled out weekly. Employee turnover is a problem at MD2U. This place is always desperate for new employees. They even ask current employees to post adds on social media to talk friends into working for this company.
Pros
Free gym, set hours, insurance, fun patients
Cons
Treated with no respect, high stress, low pay
August 7, 2015

Thank you for your comments about MD2U being a force for positive change in people’s lives everyday! The rapid change in medicine today requires that we often update our processes to respond and while this may make the job more difficult we hope it doesn’t detract from the satisfaction that goes with servicing this patient population. We strive to treat all of our employees with the respect they deserve and appreciate your raising our attention to these issues.

Chief Recruitment Officer
MD2U

What I became an NP to do!
NP (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 13, 2014
MD2U enables me to provide the quality care other jobs have not. We truly fill a great need, and are able to develop a healthcare partnership with our patients and families few practices allow. Supportive, pro-active management, strong support staff, and the chance to use my skills and knowledge to their full extent make working at MD2U an ideal fit for me.
Pros
Autonomy, flexibility, supportive management
Cons
Very few
One of the most challenging and rewarding jobs I have ever had!
Family Nurse Practitioner MD2U (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 8, 2014
MD2U is a dynamic work environment where Nurse Practitioners can build their micro-practice with the support of the office team in Louisville, KY. If a provider chooses, there are multiple opportunities for growth. Nurse practitioners work autonomously but also as part of a growing team of providers. While house calls provides challenges such as driving to patients and dealing with weather, the rewards on patient's faces when resources are brought to them they never knew existed-makes it all worth it. A great place to work!
Pros
Support and upward mobility
Cons
Driving long distances.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MD2U. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5