MDA Employee Reviews

A very rewarding place to work knowing that you are helping families dealing with disabilities
Regional Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2017
I was the Regional Administrative Assistant for the Regional Director for the Texas Gulf Coast

One on One meeting every morning with my director for her plans and appointments for the day

Enjoyed work the Labor Day Telethon working on behind the scene so that the Telethon went on without any problems

Getting our clients to tell their personal stories on how the Association has helped their families

I really loved going to our Summer Camp and seeing the kids enjoy being kids and not focusing on their disabilities
A rewarding place to work
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2017
MDA is a great place for professionals looking to start in development and fundraising. The job provides a wide variety of fundraising activities and staff are rewarded with working with MDA families.
Once a top nonprofit, now a second tier
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2017
Hard to watch such a previously mighty organization stumble over the past several years. Several leadership changes, damaging restructuring and sponsor erosion have all contributed to this once innovative nonprofit being reduced to spending all of its resources trying to just maintain the donor base and mission impact levels. Thankfully, the many millions of dollars contributed to research are paying off with many treatments in the late stages of clinical trials.
Pros
The families served, the progress taking place with the research funding
Cons
Falling revenue, ongoing structural changes, weak executive leadership
Demeaning and Discouraging Environment
Family Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2017
The work environment is completely negative. The organization took some major cuts due to lack of money which has led to multiple jobs being condensed into one. This position is too much for one person and if something doesn't change, everyone in it will burn out. Along with this, everyone who works here is only worried about themselves. It is not about the families, but about how far you can advance. It's very discouraging being the only person who cares about the cause.
New and Exciting Work Experience
Sumer Camp Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2017
I was just an intern under the Family Care Specialist. The whole office was very friendly and welcoming. I learned a lot about how a non profit company is organized.
Fun and fulfilling
Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 10, 2017
Was just a camp volunteer but such an amazing organization that truly cares about everybody that is helping out. They really recognize that your time is valuable and that you are giving back to the community when you really do not have to.
Very Hostile Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 10, 2017
Although the work is rewarding, management is always confused and very unhelpful, the health benefits are bad and very little room to advance. very hostile environment.
Pros
work with families and children
Cons
pay, healthcare, management
Poor Management
Lead over temps (Title changed weekly) (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 9, 2017
In the last year 5 people have left in all positions, not fired. It is such a great company with a great cause, just not this office environment due to poor Management in Knoxville. If it is a new rule today it will change by noon the same day. The upper management over this office in Nashville turns a blind eye to everything this Director hands out.
Pros
Meet wonderful people
Cons
Being blamed for management mistakes.
You Will Love The Children
VOLUNTEER EFFORTS (Former Employee) –  Rockport, TXMay 3, 2017
The children that you are assigned to at the beginning of the summer are the greatest kids you will know. MDA helps you take care of their needs throughout the week so that parents can take a week off and enjoy a vacation.
loved to work for a cause that was meaningful when therewasateam
Lock up coordinator (Current Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 20, 2017
the hardest part abut the job was being on the phone engaging with community leaders. What I learned is that it takes a team to have the ability to enjoy then mission you work hard for and to see kids happy when they go to camp.
Great work environment
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAMarch 30, 2017
Great work culture to give an opportune life experience. typical day is to give your full energy to make sure that the campers have the best week of the year.
I enjoyed my job at MDA
Associate Director of Family Care (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 29, 2017
I enjoyed the team I worked with at MDA. With recent organizational changes it was at times difficult to communicate and collaborate with others. Overall, this was a very rewarding job that I will miss deeply.
Pros
Passionate group of people and great cause
Cons
More work to do than is possible in a day, very stressful, no work life balance
Innovative workplace with immense opportunity for growth
Junior Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 29, 2017
I acquired a wealth of knowledge through working for MDA. I was able to shadow the executive director and eventually she let me execute many projects on my own.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not paid
Productive fun place to work
Director (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 16, 2017
I enjoyed raising $1,000,000 in a year for people suffering from Muscular Dystrophy. I enjoyed creating relationships with companies to benefit our and their companies.
Good Work Environment
HealthCare Services Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMarch 10, 2017
MDA was a very good work environment. My coworkers were excellent when it came to teamwork. I loved my job there. I would recommend this job to anyone and everyone.
Good Learning Experience
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 3, 2017
MDA is a great organization that helps many family in need of financial support when faced with a debilitating illness. It's been a while since I was there but I remember that it was really hard work and requires dedication. The compensation was great (health, retirement, vacation, pay, etc.) but the work life balance was hard. There were a lot of events and visits that required time outside of the regular 40 hours work week. Overall, I value the time when I worked at MDA. It was a good learning experience and it showed me how far I could push myself.
Pros
Like minded co-workers
A great Non-Profit Organization
Event Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 25, 2017
A lot of micro managing and politics
Great opportunity if you can raise money
Fun to work directly with MDA Clients
You have the opportunity to advance - they do not take mistakes very well and will hold over your head
Pros
Working and doing good for the MDA community
Cons
Micro Management
Amazing entry level position
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIFebruary 23, 2017
I learned so much from working for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The work was rewarding and I had the honor to work closely with MD patients and their families. I left to pursue other opportunities but I learned valuable lessons, personally as a result.
Amazing mission but poor management of field offices
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2017
Worked for MDA for 3 years as an Executive Director. Had 3 different Divisional Directors over that time period. High turnover, no work/life balance, poor compensation, local Executive Directors were not able to hire their own staff. Sometimes 6 months would go by without hiring essential staff. High burnout rate, hard to sustain this type of work environment without crashing and burning.
Pros
MDA Families are amazing! Best part of my job and continues to have an impact on my life.
Cons
No work/life balance. High turnover, compensation is not competitive.
Mgt did not communicate well. Not very nice either.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  N Ft Myers, FLFebruary 13, 2017
Mgt needs to do a better job with new ppl. I felt awkward there. No included in work related conversations..being compared with other employees
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Felt super awkward

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MDA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8