MDA Employee Reviews

Not a good choice
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 21, 2017
This particular office was unorganized and lacked competent management. They work to benefit a very vulnerable group of people, and that is the only good thing that can come from working there.
Cut Throat Work Environment
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 15, 2017
No time to just cut up when having a bad day. Boss expects you to be on the phone 7 hours a day. If someone doesn't want to donate, they expect you to get a donation out of them. They will let you go for not making goal on an event. The families are super sweet but unreliable and you have to answer to that.
Very comfortable environment
Lead Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Tucker, GASeptember 14, 2017
I really enjoyed this job even though I went thru the temp service this job offered alot including a fulltime position for me to go to their headquarters in Florida and respectfully so I had to decline but would love to go back in seasonal.
Pros
Shift started at 10a.m ended at 3pm mon thru friday
Cons
Turnover process new employees every week.
Helping Out
RECRUITING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 7, 2017
Working here gives one a humbling feeling knowing that what you are doing and accomplishing for this great cause of assisting people with muscle disabilities brings joy to many.
Great Mission to raise money for, but Horrible Company Culture
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  AnonymousSeptember 5, 2017
Churn and burn organization with high staff burn out and turnover,

Lack of training for new staff, expect staff to just know how MDA operates.

Does not encourage external professional development for fundraising staff

Divisional and National leadership currently in place who have been with organization many years who are set in their way of doing things and shut down staff who may have new creative or innovative ideas, which inspires or motivates no one. Narrow vision

Leadership who micromanage district office fundraising staff so much it limits the ability to do their jobs in a comfortable and confident environment. Management styles that constantly preempt local leaderships direction and authority

Salary increases are not based on performance and are only given when promoted with a title change, which will never happen since there is little to no room for professional advancement. Very discouraging since MDA salaries are historically well below other similar non profits to begin with

Very exclusive, antiquated and autocratic culture and leadership/management style, most staff are not treated in a very respectable manner and are condescended to or treated as underlings who are to do as they are told as if we are all robots and can't think for ourselves or breathe on our own
Pros
Wonderful mission, Generous time off since pay is low
Cons
MDA is an organization that seems scared to innovate, is afraid to be creative, and wont allow local staff to lead, low salaries that do not consider experience or performance
Good Work Environment, but not much advancement
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 15, 2017
I enjoy the small office atmosphere and the people with whom I work. It is a very rewarding job to meet the people you are having an impact on when you are fundraising. However, the MDA has not given pay raises in over 10 years and the only way to advance is if a person in your own office leaves or if you are willing to relocate to another state, so the chances of getting a pay raise are slim to none if no one in your office leaves to open up a higher paying position. On a positive note, they do offer a lot of time off between PTO, sick time, and paid holidays.
Pros
Good atmosphere and lots of time off
Cons
no pay raises
Would Not Recommend
Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MAAugust 14, 2017
In my two years of working at MDA, I have yet to meet even one family that has directly benefited from MDA's services. This organization states that they offer various services to families - and doesn't mention that the family has to pay out of pocket for all of them.

Also, per company policy, no raises are given - not even for cost of living.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Everything other than having time off
Campaigns end
Fundraising Representative (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 7, 2017
Work place was very cramped, no room for advancement. Hourly pay was decent for the task preformed. Management needs more work and organization. I would not recommend to a friend.
Incredible opportunity
Commercial Producer (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 6, 2017
I was able to write, produce, and record a commercial in 2001 for the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy telethon. I loved every minute of it and felt like I was giving back by donating my time.
Fine company
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 3, 2017
Very friendly and not micromanaged. Staff was friendly, and phone experiences were fun. Challenging to remain a top phone solicitor, but I exceeded most.
Pros
Flex time
Cons
competitive
very fullfilling
Internship (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJuly 31, 2017
very fulfilling. I worked for MDA as an internship. Lots of fundraising for a great cause. Working environment was relaxed for the most part until it was fundraising season.
Good stepping stone organization
Family Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 23, 2017
Great learning opportunities, but not great compensation or advancement opportunities. You can gain a lot of experience working on complex programs, but there is minimal guidance and oversight to help you.
Horrible Management
Volunteer Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 20, 2017
I would never recommend anyone to work here. Terrible job. The management there was horrible. Very dismissive, never was there, and extremely rude. I would not apply if I were you.
Cons
horrible management
Wonderful non-profit
District Director (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 19, 2017
Wonderful non-profit organization. Enjoyed my different titles while at MDA and enjoyed growing personal relationships with staff and clients. Still keep in contact with many of the families and past co-workers.
Pros
Great training and effective business plans
Cons
Great Job, excellent pay, even for a part-time position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAJuly 14, 2017
MDA was a great place to work, but the director at the time that I worked there was a difficult person. Since my tenure, that director has been replaced.
Cold Calling
Fundraising Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL 61801July 9, 2017
If you don't like making cold calls all day, don't apply for this job. You get a sense that you're just trying to help others, but it's a super stressful job that only a certain few can do.
Loved it
Fund Raiser Representative (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 26, 2017
Such a challenge it both recruitment and sales but loved every minute if it. This is a great place to work and had a lot of wonderful people working along side you.
Productive Internship
Fundraising Intern (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 23, 2017
It was a great internship. I loved the people I worked with. Gained useful information that I can use for future jobs and just life lessons in general.
Part time position
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJune 22, 2017
This office was a nice place to work. The position was temporary, but the people in the office were great to work with. The management were easy to talk to when needed.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
lack of permanent, full time
good non profit.
Night Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10019June 9, 2017
great working here. the whole company was all about the cure for MD. we worked on everything that helped the yearly event that was its biggest fund raiser.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MDA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8