MDA Employee Reviews in United States

Great mission, bad place to work
development (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 30, 2016
Any 5 star review you see here is, false. This is not a 5 star company. MDA has a great mission as well as the families and sponsors are great to work with. There is a lot of upper management issues here and even with them trying to change the environment working at MDA to be more positive, there is still no raises...no matching 403b...little to no career advancement...and event when you work your hardest, it is still not enough.
Pros
Great families. Great sponsors. Great cause
Cons
Little to no career advancement, no raises, no matching 403b, and its never enough even if you work your hardest, they don't appreciate you as field staff
helps families and kids with MS
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 21, 2016
management is unrealistic about goals sometimes. Is overall a good place to work as far as call center job. Helps families and children also provided camp for kids with Ms to go to. in the end you should feel good about yourself ,knowing you have helped a child walk another day, get medicine he/she needs and go to camp for free. At least that's how is was then. Don't know about now.
Pros
monday - friday
Cons
high turnover meet goal or your out the door
Ok place to work and help people during their time of need.
Administrative Assistant to District Director (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 28, 2016
It was a good place to work where you had good people to help all the people that really needed help at a hard time in their lives with all the different diseases they might have had.
Pros
Enjoyed working with all the different city departments which helped out along the way
Cons
It was hard to sometimes make a difference when you were not really accepted for who you were.
Philanthropic organization.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAJanuary 27, 2016
I volunteered to help them during a fund-raising event. I met many interesting community leaders. I hope muscular dystrophy will be cured as a result of theses efforts.
Pros
Feeling of accomplishment.
Cons
(none)
Every day was a different day
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 18, 2015
I overall enjoyed working for MDA. I learned how to "go with the flow" with it ever-changing and evolving. My co-workers were easy to get along with. I'd say the hardest part of my job was having to leave for the day. The most enjoyable part of my day was knowing I was making a difference in someone's life.
Typical day
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 12, 2015
A wonderful place to work. The personal employed are professional and very friendly. I was in charge of maintaining all telecommunications, (software, programming, installation, and implantation). Most difficult of part of the job was sometimes the gathering of pertinent information to be applied to individual needs pertaining to different divisions....(i.e...Field Services, Field Organization).
Pros
Lots of catered luches
Cons
Relaxed atmosphere, close working relationships.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 12, 2015
When I would come in the office in the morning, the first thing I would do is check office email. I would also, check merchant batch reports to see if any income was received the previous day. I would run any necessary reports that would be needed by other staff members. Throughout the day I would send and respond to emails as well as answer the phones. I was responsible for all daily deposits and insuring that income was credited to correct events.
Job was always interesting enjoyed the different challanges that came about during the day
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 30, 2015
I enjoyed my job and miss it very much! I enjoyed helping our clients and found rewarding and challenging . Made the day go quickly
Pros
rewarding and challenging
Cons
the high turn over of employees
raising money
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2015
typically getting customers at my current position to help raise money. The money we raise is used to send an individual to mda camp where they are able to receive medical treatment and just enjoy their time.
Good work life balance
Administrative Assistant/IT (Former Employee) –  Medford, OROctober 17, 2015
no security and no chance to move up without a degree, Plenty of time off no real stress and you are helping people but the down sized so much that a lot of people lost their jobs and clients lost the local contacts, All and all if you get a chance to work for this company it is worth it
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
no security
Excellent
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 12, 2015
The people that I worked with were excellent. Always felt that I was welcome. I never felt like I was trapped or felt guilty.
Bookkeeping/ Fundraising
District Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield Ca.September 21, 2015
General office work. Banking and handling all deposits.
Accounting for all fundraisres.
Handling temp employees and volunteers.
Human resource issues and office issues.
Pros
Benefit package and advancement offers.
Cons
The Bakersfield office closed and relocated to Fresno
This was a vollunteer thing and I was the most important thing I have ever done.
Vollunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2015
I took care of adults with muscular dystrophy. At camp this would be a 24/7 job that started Sunday morning and went all week til they left to go home at the end of the week on Saturday. I did all that was needed from getting them up washed shaved dressed and combed and into thier wheelchair. I then took them to breakfast and assisted with eating as needed. We then participated in camping activities such as swimming, horseback riding playing wheelchair soccer, fishing, boating making crafts and after lunch we did more camp stuff or socialised til supper time. after supper we would get ready for a movie or a music show or maby just evening campfire anf tall tales. Then off to bed and do it again the next day til camp ended when we all wished we could do an Earnie Banks and play 2
Pros
It feels so good to help someone do something they could not do.
Cons
You have to go to a few friends funerals.
Job was Repetative
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 30, 2015
Position became boring and management was very micro-managing. Although a good company, I did not feel that there was enough room for growth.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Not enough variety
Very productive.
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raynham, MAAugust 27, 2015
I truly loved my job and felt like I made a difference in peoples lives. I helped with fund raisers, balancing the books, making flyers, getting people to help volunteer to raise funds for the less fortunate
Pros
Helping people who couldn't help themselves
Cons
The budget cuts cost me my job
Rewarding job, low compensation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 25, 2015
I have worked at MDA for more than seven years in an administrative role. I feel more confident about the future of the company now than I ever have. I think they have hired an excellent CEO and executive staff. I enjoy the work and my interactions with our clients. While MDA does provide solid medical benefits and PTO, I am seeking employment elsewhere due to the low financial compensation. I have not known any employee in my time here to have ever received a raise, and the opportunity for advancement is slim. MDA is a great company and is a great place to work as a young person or right out of college, but doesn't allow you to advance or be compensated in a realistic way.
Pros
PTO, benefits, rewarding work
Cons
Low salaries, no raises
A company that cares about it's staff and those it serve
Broadcast Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2015
This company encourages a productive, energized and learning new and creative work environment - encourages growth and self develpment
Pros
A company that appreciates hard work
For some not all
Compensated Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 28, 2015
The work is fulfilling seeing that you are helping children with Muscular Dystrophy, the supervisors are super encouraging and positive, although those on the other end of the phone call aren't as warm which is expected.
Pros
Compensation, environment
Cons
Callees
Very Decieving
Fund Raiser Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 21, 2015
A day in the life of an recruiter would include calling people and getting them to participate in the fund raiser "lock up" the women who was the over seeiers of this fund raiser only cared about the money in witch a good percent went to them and never the patients it was ment for.
Good starting position
Temporary Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 21, 2015
Nice office environment. Friendly staff. Not a difficult job, but very low pay. No commission. No room for increasing pay. No room for advancement. Just something if you're looking for something temporary.
Pros
Gift cards for performing well
Cons
Low pay

2.8