MDA Employee Reviews

Not working for the people it represents
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2016
No one in this office was concerned with working for the people represented by the 43 diseases MDA covers. They were, however, interested in office gossip, office fighting, and talking poorly about employees/families/fundraisers/guests.
Pros
pay
Cons
the co-workers
Bad environment
Family Support and Clinical Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2016
No job security. This company turns staff over at an alarming rate. Inside of one year a six person office can have all new staff. The day to day operations are done at a local level, but this organization has many levels of managers and directors all reporting to those above them. It's contant pressure from the top down. Those people at the bottom are carrying the load!
Pros
A great amount of time off
Cons
long hours, weekendends and stressed out people
Hard work reaps good rewards
Fundraiser coordinator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 17, 2016
Worked for MDA helping to increase sales of their annual fundraiser. Contacted local business seeking donations and participative support for Annual MDA Lock up set up appointments and charitable contributions most enjoyable part this was it was going towards a good cause hardest part minimal hours and seasonal employment
Horrible experience
Fundraise (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2016
Management allows pertynesa and immaturity to take over the mission. They talk behind your back and pick sides.. i have never seen such an unhealthy environment
Pros
Meeting families
Cons
Horrible working conditions
Nonprofit organization
Recruitment/Disability Awareness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Calling to receive donations from other business and business owners wasn't the ideal career job. However, after experiencing one of the events hosted for the cause of saving children with Muscular Dystrophy offered a different perspective of the position.
Pros
Working for the cause of helping children with MD
Cons
It was only a contract position
It was the most enjoyable work.
I did Volunteer work (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10017September 6, 2016
I did not work there for money. The experience I gained there is going to help me a lot in my future career field. I learnt how to take care of kids, those who are less fortunate.
Amazing co-workers and great volunteers helping fund for the disease
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 14, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of being motivated to begin your day on the phones, working together to get volunteers to contribute in the fight for a cure of debilitating diseases. I learned that as a team, working together we can achieve our mission of helping families who depend on us. Management was very professional and my co-workers were awesome! The hardest part of the job was handling rejection and reaching out to others before they could hang up the phones. I enjoyed working for this company but ended up leaving because I had moved to different state.
Pros
Comfortable environment, Friendly people, Good pay
Cons
Tired reading same script, Prepare for a lot of hang-ups
enjoy helping the children
Recruiter Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSAugust 1, 2016
the hardest part about the is getting a donor to help children with Muscular Dystrophy. A typical day at work is on the phone for 8 hours and being turned down and having management to to say try harder.
The best environment to work at
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 5, 2016
This was an amazing work experience because it taught me a lot about team work. We were a team with individual goals that was expected of us on a daily basis. There was a family atmosphere and the kids we were all there to help would get to come visit us on a monthly basis. We would see the benefits of the organization this way. It was a rewarding experience.
Cons
job was in jeopardy daily
Great mission, bad place to work
development (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 30, 2016
Any 5 star review you see here is, false. This is not a 5 star company. MDA has a great mission as well as the families and sponsors are great to work with. There is a lot of upper management issues here and even with them trying to change the environment working at MDA to be more positive, there is still no raises...no matching 403b...little to no career advancement...and event when you work your hardest, it is still not enough.
Pros
Great families. Great sponsors. Great cause
Cons
Little to no career advancement, no raises, no matching 403b, and its never enough even if you work your hardest, they don't appreciate you as field staff
High energy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maywood, NJJune 22, 2016
It was a good company to work for. Benefits meet my family standards.

An encouraging place to work. I liked going to work their, staff treated each other like family.
Pros
Corporate luncheons
Cons
Work was more them antisipated
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2016
Was a great learning experience. Was able to capitalize on my skills and expertise. Allowed you to think outside of the box.
very fun environment
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 20, 2016
Management is great. They are very concerned about work/life balance and do whatever they can to help you accomplish that. The jobs has lots of challenges which I love. I hate having to leave but my husband is being relocated.
Pros
lots of time off and great benefits
Cons
only 35 hours a week
Worst job ever!
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 7, 2016
World's meanest receptionist EVER!!! Staff appeared to be scared of her! Working here was like being in High School all over! Small office with a click! The monies were used for extreme events that did not raise much money but staff was able to obtain dates with attendees! Staff took expensive alcohol and other left over home! The click that is! It's more than a shame that such a worthy cause is left to people like this!
Pros
Paycheck...if you can call it that.
Cons
Everything else! Staff
Not a Good Place To Work
Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 19, 2016
At the job they treat you like you are a a number instead of a person. And management is very rude and catty, they will tell you that you're doing a good job to your face then talk bad about you behind your back.They drop people like it's nothing everyday that's why the turn over rate is so high. They expect you to turn wine into water so to say....
Pros
helping ppl with mda
Cons
temp job low pay drama
Fulfilling, Demanding Hours, Daily Grind
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 9, 2016
Working for MDA was just as difficult as it was rewarding.

First and foremost, the rewarding aspect was getting to support great services and getting to interact with the families.

I can't say enough good things about the services MDA provides to the families, and the families I got to work with.

Unfortunately, I was on the fundraising side of operations. A large majority of my time was spent either cold-calling families and local businesses to do one of our promotions, or constantly reporting my "numbers" to management. There is a constant need for updates on your numbers to the extent that it interferes with your day-to-day ability to produce. Every step you take on anything had to be reported to multiple supervisors, on separate forms.

Most of my time in the office was spent creating my own leads, cold calling people, and setting up meetings with very little support from management. It's a sink-or-swim sales culture. You get a cubicle, a phone and a laptop, and are left to your own devices. I don't have a problem with that type of sales culture, but was not what they said it would be like in my initial interviews.

If you're looking for an established fundraising culture that focuses on best practices, professionalism, cultivation and stewardship- this is not for you. The people who stay the longest have zero prior fundraising experience, leading to terrible chapter management since they like to make internal hires for upper level positions. Also, don't expect any mentors or team-oriented attitude, as most of the fundraisers are more likely to accuse you
  more... of stealing leads than team up with you on a prospect.

You will work weekends, nights, and long days on a fairly regular basis.

The pay is decent, but there are no real performance incentives other than the occasional $5 gift card or pizza party. The insurance and benefits are pretty good, but given the other drawbacks it's not a game changer.

If I had to, I would have done it again, but was profoundly unhappy working there. If you are just out of college and are looking to get your start in the non-profit world, this could be a good first step if you have limited options.

Again, I can't say enough good things about the services they provide, and the people who provide those services. The healthcare team is separate from fundraising, and should not be taken into account with regards to my review.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits, working with families, good brand name.
Cons
Daily cold calling, sink or swim culture, no fundraising background from managers, unprofessional work environment
very fun environment and great team work
Executive Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 26, 2016
A typical day would include data entry, answering and transferring calls, helping any clients that walk in, reports and managing our temporary employees. The hardest part of my job is maintaining good productive temporary employees through our staffing agencies. I enjoy the fun and laid back environment.
Pros
lots of paid time off
Cons
turn-over
Not a great place at all
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 11, 2016
The management is very poor. It is very much like a sorority. Everyone needs to be trained. NO raises at ALL. They have very high turnover because of the way they treat people.
I love MDA
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  bradford woods, indianaApril 4, 2016
The Bradford Woods Camp is amazing. They are incredibly well equipped for the MDA campers. MDA does an amazing job at screening volunteers and prepping the campers for their experience.
helps families and kids with MS
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 21, 2016
management is unrealistic about goals sometimes. Is overall a good place to work as far as call center job. Helps families and children also provided camp for kids with Ms to go to. in the end you should feel good about yourself ,knowing you have helped a child walk another day, get medicine he/she needs and go to camp for free. At least that's how is was then. Don't know about now.
Pros
monday - friday
Cons
high turnover meet goal or your out the door

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MDA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8