MDA Employee Reviews

Amazing mission but poor management of field offices
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2017
Worked for MDA for 3 years as an Executive Director. Had 3 different Divisional Directors over that time period. High turnover, no work/life balance, poor compensation, local Executive Directors were not able to hire their own staff. Sometimes 6 months would go by without hiring essential staff. High burnout rate, hard to sustain this type of work environment without crashing and burning.
Pros
MDA Families are amazing! Best part of my job and continues to have an impact on my life.
Cons
No work/life balance. High turnover, compensation is not competitive.
Mgt did not communicate well. Not very nice either.
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  N Ft Myers, FLFebruary 13, 2017
Mgt needs to do a better job with new ppl. I felt awkward there. No included in work related conversations..being compared with other employees
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Felt super awkward
great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXFebruary 7, 2017
I love MDA, they have amazing benefits and no discrimination! I love going in to work everyday knowing that I can make a small difference for a child or an adult living with neuromuscular disease.
Pros
good benefits, flexable time
Cons
none!
Volunterring Opportunity
Volunteer Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 25, 2017
Developed counselors in the program and help them to achieve the organization’s standards and goals
Organized child safety, security and that they were properly cared for
Incorporated quality of life focused programs for children with disabilities
Administered personnel evaluations curtailing detrimental performance
Good Work Environment...
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 18, 2017
... but almost no upward mobility for career advancement. Small local branch, so little job opportunities. A hard nut to crack!
Association in Transition
Executive Vice President Strategic Development (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 18, 2017
The many changes that have occurred over the past 5 years has directly impacted the Association in so many ways. It was time for change and reestablishing a new foundation and business model unfortunately this has resulted in poor morale, constant turn over and the loss of seasoned professionals who were replaced or got lost in the shuffle.
Worked as a summer camp counselor for one particular camper with musclar dystrophy
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hardwick, NJJanuary 16, 2017
Understood the needs and how to work with the camper to ensure they are having a good time, while maintaining a stern relationship. Gained insight on communicating and working with kids.
Never work there again.
Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 10, 2017
Daily cold calling, sink or swim culture, unprofessional work environment, fine if you like telemarketing. If you don't perform, you're done!
Pros
Cons
Little support. Telemarketing.
Great Mission and Coworkers
Family Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  WIDecember 31, 2016
Great Mission and Team of people to work with.
Poor work/life balance
High expectations with little support
Little room for growth/ advancement
Poor retention
Good company
VCR (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 19, 2016
MDA is a wonderful organization which helps people with Muscular Dystrophy. We worked hard on the phones contacting CEO's & owners of local businesses to raise monies. We also arranged and set up venues for fund raising throughout the community.
Pros
helping others
Cons
only part time, no benefits
Families are great, company can't match up
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southern CADecember 9, 2016
When you can't retain talented staff members, you can not expect growth. As a company they let miserable, disgruntle staff take advantage of their employment.
Not working for the people it represents
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 15, 2016
No one in this office was concerned with working for the people represented by the 43 diseases MDA covers. They were, however, interested in office gossip, office fighting, and talking poorly about employees/families/fundraisers/guests.
Pros
pay
Cons
the co-workers
Bad environment
Family Support and Clinical Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2016
No job security. This company turns staff over at an alarming rate. Inside of one year a six person office can have all new staff. The day to day operations are done at a local level, but this organization has many levels of managers and directors all reporting to those above them. It's contant pressure from the top down. Those people at the bottom are carrying the load!
Pros
A great amount of time off
Cons
long hours, weekendends and stressed out people
Hard work reaps good rewards
Fundraiser coordinator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 17, 2016
Worked for MDA helping to increase sales of their annual fundraiser. Contacted local business seeking donations and participative support for Annual MDA Lock up set up appointments and charitable contributions most enjoyable part this was it was going towards a good cause hardest part minimal hours and seasonal employment
Horrible experience
Fundraise (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2016
Management allows pertynesa and immaturity to take over the mission. They talk behind your back and pick sides.. i have never seen such an unhealthy environment
Pros
Meeting families
Cons
Horrible working conditions
Ok job, no room for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westborough, MASeptember 14, 2016
Enjoy working there but there is no room for advancement. Office can be busy during the time that there are events. Best part of the job is helping the people that are registered for services that MDA provides for them. Seeing the kids at Summer Camp!
Nonprofit organization
Recruitment/Disability Awareness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Calling to receive donations from other business and business owners wasn't the ideal career job. However, after experiencing one of the events hosted for the cause of saving children with Muscular Dystrophy offered a different perspective of the position.
Pros
Working for the cause of helping children with MD
Cons
It was only a contract position
It was the most enjoyable work.
I did Volunteer work (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10017September 6, 2016
I did not work there for money. The experience I gained there is going to help me a lot in my future career field. I learnt how to take care of kids, those who are less fortunate.
Amazing co-workers and great volunteers helping fund for the disease
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 14, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of being motivated to begin your day on the phones, working together to get volunteers to contribute in the fight for a cure of debilitating diseases. I learned that as a team, working together we can achieve our mission of helping families who depend on us. Management was very professional and my co-workers were awesome! The hardest part of the job was handling rejection and reaching out to others before they could hang up the phones. I enjoyed working for this company but ended up leaving because I had moved to different state.
Pros
Comfortable environment, Friendly people, Good pay
Cons
Tired reading same script, Prepare for a lot of hang-ups
enjoy helping the children
Recruiter Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSAugust 1, 2016
the hardest part about the is getting a donor to help children with Muscular Dystrophy. A typical day at work is on the phone for 8 hours and being turned down and having management to to say try harder.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MDA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7