MDA Employee Reviews

Rewarding job, low compensation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 25, 2015
I have worked at MDA for more than seven years in an administrative role. I feel more confident about the future of the company now than I ever have. I think they have hired an excellent CEO and executive staff. I enjoy the work and my interactions with our clients. While MDA does provide solid medical benefits and PTO, I am seeking employment elsewhere due to the low financial compensation. I have not known any employee in my time here to have ever received a raise, and the opportunity for advancement is slim. MDA is a great company and is a great place to work as a young person or right out of college, but doesn't allow you to advance or be compensated in a realistic way.
Pros
PTO, benefits, rewarding work
Cons
Low salaries, no raises
helps families and kids with MS
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 21, 2016
management is unrealistic about goals sometimes. Is overall a good place to work as far as call center job. Helps families and children also provided camp for kids with Ms to go to. in the end you should feel good about yourself ,knowing you have helped a child walk another day, get medicine he/she needs and go to camp for free. At least that's how is was then. Don't know about now.
Pros
monday - friday
Cons
high turnover meet goal or your out the door
Great mission, bad place to work
development (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 30, 2016
Any 5 star review you see here is, false. This is not a 5 star company. MDA has a great mission as well as the families and sponsors are great to work with. There is a lot of upper management issues here and even with them trying to change the environment working at MDA to be more positive, there is still no raises...no matching 403b...little to no career advancement...and event when you work your hardest, it is still not enough.
Pros
Great families. Great sponsors. Great cause
Cons
Little to no career advancement, no raises, no matching 403b, and its never enough even if you work your hardest, they don't appreciate you as field staff
Nonprofit organization
Recruitment/Disability Awareness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Calling to receive donations from other business and business owners wasn't the ideal career job. However, after experiencing one of the events hosted for the cause of saving children with Muscular Dystrophy offered a different perspective of the position.
Pros
Working for the cause of helping children with MD
Cons
It was only a contract position
very fun environment
Executive/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 20, 2016
Management is great. They are very concerned about work/life balance and do whatever they can to help you accomplish that. The jobs has lots of challenges which I love. I hate having to leave but my husband is being relocated.
Pros
lots of time off and great benefits
Cons
only 35 hours a week
It was the most enjoyable work.
I did Volunteer work (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10017September 6, 2016
I did not work there for money. The experience I gained there is going to help me a lot in my future career field. I learnt how to take care of kids, those who are less fortunate.
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIMarch 16, 2015
Every day was very similar. Morning meeting, conduct fundraising duties, lunch, afternoon prep, continue work, end of day review.

My phone and paperwork processing skills definitely grew in this position. I have also improved upon my organization, scheduling, and time management.

All my co-workers were very friendly!

The most difficult part of the job is persuading the potential business executive to commit their time to participate in the fundraiser.

The most enjoyable part of the job was it's consistency.
Pros
hour break for lunch, consistent yet flexible hours and income, friendly
Cons
temp position
raising money
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 23, 2015
typically getting customers at my current position to help raise money. The money we raise is used to send an individual to mda camp where they are able to receive medical treatment and just enjoy their time.
Worst Job Ever!
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 21, 2013
This job turned out to be the worst job I ever had - a complete nightmare! They work you as hard as they can - set your fundraising goals very high, there is NO training, they have you work on many fundraisers at a time and you eventually burn out. The normal job life is 1 year!

The management is horrible and the pay is very low for the amount of hours you work. There is no work life balance - even though they put it in their ad - a joke!

I was so excited to be hired - I thought this was my dream job - working for a non-profit health care organization - making a difference in the lives of children, but it turned out to be a nightmare! Worst job EVER!
Pros
meeting the families and children with md
Cons
terrible management, no work/life balance, no chance for advancement
Job was Repetative
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 30, 2015
Position became boring and management was very micro-managing. Although a good company, I did not feel that there was enough room for growth.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Not enough variety
Very productive.
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raynham, MAAugust 27, 2015
I truly loved my job and felt like I made a difference in peoples lives. I helped with fund raisers, balancing the books, making flyers, getting people to help volunteer to raise funds for the less fortunate
Pros
Helping people who couldn't help themselves
Cons
The budget cuts cost me my job
Ok place to work and help people during their time of need.
Administrative Assistant to District Director (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 28, 2016
It was a good place to work where you had good people to help all the people that really needed help at a hard time in their lives with all the different diseases they might have had.
Pros
Enjoyed working with all the different city departments which helped out along the way
Cons
It was hard to sometimes make a difference when you were not really accepted for who you were.
Get Experience and Run!
Healthcare Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  SouthwestApril 27, 2013
MDA deludes itself and customers into thinking that they provide more than any other charity. Their fundraising is deceptive. Their costs to raise money are ridiculous and their methods are still from the 1950"s. They are top heavy and have an abundance of former McDonald's management personnel who don't know how to treat people.
Their business model is so out dated that it really is a joke and they blame the field offices because they simply cannot meet the expectations that have set with the resources they allow.
I feel sorry for the families who are not wholly served and they deserve better. No one stays very long with MDA if they are any good because the environment is so toxic. The hours they demand are ridiculous and the pay is abysmal.
Pros
the families, the cause
Cons
poor leadership, lack of vision, outdated business models.
Absolutely stand behind the values and mission of this company...
Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 9, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of recruiting local business owners and corporate executives to invite them to participate in a unique, exciting community-wide event to raises funds for local families affected by neuromuscular diseases.
I was exposed to and learned about programs, services, doctors, the helping community that provide relief for the fund.
Every staff member I was exposed to was a pleasure to work along side with.
Meeting quota was the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that your involved in your local community providing services and relief to families.
Pros
quota incentives, fun competition to win prizes, helping families
Cons
short hours/seasonal
Program Coordinator for 4 Counties.
Program Coordinator for 4 Counties (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 12, 2012
I was the key fundraiser for all 4 counties. Loved the job and working with volunteer families and companies. Did a large amount of public speaking at large events and schools. Met a lot of great people and was very successful raising money for MDA. Management was poor and made it harder. Had a staff and did hire and fire as part of the job. Best part of the job was the feeling you got after a good event and the satisfaction of knowing that what you were doing was a good thing.
Pros
helping the families raise money for the cause.
Cons
poor salary and management. no life at night or on weekends. all events were usually then.
MDA - Making a difference for families
Manager (Current Employee) –  AnonymousJune 21, 2012
I have worked for MDA for a number of years. MDA provides fair pay and opportunity for advancement. The management team will challenge you but also provide the tools and support to ensure you are successful. The dollars raised go directly to the support of families in the communities through clinic support, summer camps, research, equipment closets and more. MDA is a large organization that offers employees a lot of opportunity for growth, especially for those who are willing to move with the company.

I highly recommend MDA as a place to build your career.
Pros
actually working side-by-side with the families served
Good work life balance
Administrative Assistant/IT (Former Employee) –  Medford, OROctober 17, 2015
no security and no chance to move up without a degree, Plenty of time off no real stress and you are helping people but the down sized so much that a lot of people lost their jobs and clients lost the local contacts, All and all if you get a chance to work for this company it is worth it
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
no security
Noble cause; burn-out environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 18, 2013
Funded exclusively by donations and grants, the fundraising non-profit world experiences high turn-over. There is continually more, more, more to do with very little to be offered in return other than the intangible reward of "doing good." While my right brain has received long-overdue exercise in this position (and I am grateful!), the overall experience has become quite tiring. New ineffective and uncommitted local management combined with no national raises since 2009 and nationwide week-long furloughs in 2010 and 2012 have combined to sour the taste of "noble work." The organization does wonderful things for its patients and provides an enormous amount of research into the causes of and cures for neuromuscular diseases. The ideal candidate for this organization would need a real passion for helping others --- and should probably be part of a two-income family.
Pros
being a part of an organization that provides so much for others.
Cons
lack of monetary motivation; never feeling you've done enough; easy burn-out.
Very Decieving
Fund Raiser Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 21, 2015
A day in the life of an recruiter would include calling people and getting them to participate in the fund raiser "lock up" the women who was the over seeiers of this fund raiser only cared about the money in witch a good percent went to them and never the patients it was ment for.
You would be appalled at the nightmares I could share
Fundraising Coordinator (Former Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 15, 2012
You would think that working for a non-profit it would be the perfect work environment because of the image it portrays to the public - it is FAR from the truth. The work environment was hostile. There was a lot of jealousy from the director because she couldn't make her numbers and I was exceeding mine. Instead of words of encouragement it was only snide comments and jabs I insults. You definitely have to CYA because they will throw you under the bus in a heart beat. You can work Monday - Saturday visiting sponsors and driving all over God's creation, but don't you dare ask to come in late because of a doctors appointment -they find that unacceptable and you would need to take a half sick day even if it is an hour and you just easily worked 50-60 hours.
The only thing that kept me going was my desire to help others, the families, and amazing relationships with my sponsors.

They work you like a dog and treat you like one too.
Pros
helping the families
Cons
hostile work environment, more political than true management, did not care about the employees, long hours with no compensation

2.8