MeadWestvaco

MeadWestvaco Employer Reviews

Terrible yet consistent work
Contract Quality Assurance/Control Lab Tech (Former Employee), Covington, VAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: free food on occasion.
Cons: near constant harassment, blatant favoritism, long hours, low pay, no benefits.
MWV is split into two overall business units: paper and carbon. The paper side gets paid much more than the carbon side for doing the exact same job because they were two different companies at one point. My experience is as a contractor with the carbon side in their Covington plant. At this plant I was verbally harassed, put in near constant unsafe – more... conditions, and worked very hard with below average compensation. I gave them above average work for below average pay. To advance within the company you have to either place office politics over doing your job, or bed the right person. In Covington it is safe to say that MWV owns the town, and because of this they get away with many things they legally shouldn't. Management, especially in quality of all places, is sub-par and there is no quality to the management in the quality department. – less
Good Culture
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 19, 2014
BOLD Culture

Honest individuals come together as a team to deliver best business solutions and results.

I like the variety in my job.
Solid company with good trajectory
Global Marketing Director (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 27, 2014
Solid team with roots stemming from deep within a paper mill culture.
good experience
Capital Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee), Rumford, MEJuly 15, 2014
Great experience in co-op program. Real projects, great mentors.
Good Environment Great People
Manager, Organizational Effectiveness (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 22, 2014
MWV has some of the greatest people you will ever work with. Generally speaking people will help you to accomplish your goals and objectives. Pace is a bit slow so execution and implementation of new ideas can take awhile.
job experience
second man (Former Employee), Caguas, PRJune 20, 2014
Pros: communication, pay rate, benefits.
Cons: n/a
Greet my co-workers and supervisor as soon as I arrived and then check what was scheduled to during my shift. I learned how to be a second press man thanks to my co-workers. All managers were very respectful and easy going. My co-worker were excellent we were like a family. The hardest part of my job was to turn around cart boards by hand. I enjoyed – more... every part of my work, when I was recognize to comply with my work and all the communication with every person that worked with me. – less
Stay away from the Legal Department
Employee (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 16, 2014
Pros: good salary
Cons: unfriendly work environment
Very hierarchical environment. Management distant and do not really care about the staff. Especially avoid the litigation area - problematic manager that micromanages and is a bad communicator.
Productive and fun place
Mechanical Engineer (Intern) (Former Employee), Cottonton, ALJune 1, 2014
Mead was a very exciting place to work. Everyday there was something new to do. My co-workers were great and kept the days interesting.
fun place to work
Electronic Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 30, 2014
management not so good but working environment and people are great
Great experience working with senior engineers
General Clerk (Former Employee), Cottonton, ALMay 29, 2014
Document Control Department and Engineering Department, Summer 2012, 2011 & 2010

• Created an excel spreadsheet to calculate thermodynamic parameters for two (2) recovery boilers at the paper mill
• Cataloged blueprints, structural drawings and contracts into the company database
• Incorporated file paths for each company document to enhance business – more... efficiency
• Designed arch flash and lockout/tagout labels for safety precautions

Additional:
• Thorough understanding of OSHA, EPA and other regulations of safe practices – less
Very hierarchical structure
Director, Demand Management (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 27, 2014
Pros: benefits, salary
Cons: elitism in management, cold culture
In many ways run like a financial firm with focus on Wall Street and individual incentives.

Culture is kind of funny.
Good people to work with.
Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Winfield, KSMay 23, 2014
Pros: great at responding to customer issues
Cons: prevention of those issues from reoccuring
Difficulty in getting Second Level Leadership to work with process improvement efforts.
Bad Management
Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee), Smyrna, GAApril 15, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: poor management
Atypical day is waiting on parts that was not ordered or ordered wrong. I learned a lot on the mechanical aspects of the job. Most of my co workers were great people who had to deal with the same things I did. The hardest part of the job was the lifting of parts. The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience
Corporate management lacking but great employees to work side by side with
Attorney (Former Employee), USAApril 1, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: poor guidance and direction from management, disconnect between management and employees
MWV hires great people who are good at what they do. However management under values its employees and has provided poor corporate leadership and a lack of focus which has lead to multiple workforce reduction initiatives.
Comfortable work place
Tax Analyst (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2014
Good relationship between co-workers. Staff members work as a team
Where I learned SAP
Accounts Payable Administrator - SAP Software (Former Employee), Miamisburg, OhMarch 17, 2014
Pros: great people and learning sap
Cons: job moved to virginia
Great place to work, great work environment, great people to work with.
Productive and fun place to work.
Senior Pricing & Costing Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: gym
Cons: job security/advancement
Productive and fun place to work that allows for a flex schedule to work around home schedules. Pay is fair but job security/advancement options can be difficult to maneuver.
Company leadership is not able to create nor execute its business strategy
Middle Manager, Strategy and Insights (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 12, 2014
Pros: attractive office building and furnishings
Cons: lack of leadership; poor quality c-level executives
MWV's strategy to transform itself into a packaging solutions company has failed.

The company announced a 180 degree turn regarding their business strategy in Q1 2014; the focus now is on margin improvement to become a more competitive paperboard commodity supplier versus its direct competitors. Unfortunately that meant 550 employees got laid off.

I – more... would venture a guess that the company is preparing its balance sheet to look attractive as a takeover target. Overall it is my opinion that the company lacks leadership and with it strategic direction and execution. In my opinion, MWV is not a good place for career minded professionals. – less
MWV
Corp Eng Accountant/Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: expand on skills, learn new skills, great people
Cons: company just had a large reduction in forces
Working at MWV has been a learning experience every day. The corporate Engineering Department and CPI (R&D) Departments have allowed me to expand on my Web Design, Database skills as well as motivating employees when needed. Learning the different things MWV is doing to improve environmental impact from industries is fascinating.
Nothing Good to Say
Director, HR Operations (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 6, 2014
Nothing good to say about company or culture. Hire to fire in a coupe years. Always restructuring company

1 2 3 4 5

About MeadWestvaco

MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions. Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and – Read more