Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Volunteer position. Delivery of hot meals to seniors that otherwise would not have nutritious foods
Volunteer Driver for delivery of meals (Former Employee) –  New Jersey, rural areaSeptember 12, 2017
Enjoyed the interaction with the seniors. Often would be the only other human they interacted with that day. Would stay extra time at each senior's home to allow for conversation or a quick game of cards. Managed my time such that each senior would receive their meal during the designated time frame as directed by management. Kept a careful eye on each senior to determine state of health and environment, and presented concerns to management for their follow up with appropriate elderly-care programs.
Pros
Enjpyed the interactions with the senior. Many of them share their remberences. their loves, losses of friends who had passed, and what made them smile. I felt good that I was able to provide them ot only the food, but also a listening ear.
Cons
Some of the recipients were consistenttly angry at the world, didn't like the food and wanted something else delivered, and always complained that I was too late in delivering their meal.
good
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 11, 2017
My job was one of service and dedication. I delivered meals to elderly and disabled people. I learned how to make conversation with the people I was serving. Management was good. Work culture was easygoing. The hardest part of the job was getting to everyone's house in a timely manner. This was before the time of navigators.
Amazing workplace
(Volunteer) Thrift Store (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92154August 29, 2017
Friendly attitudes as well as the workplace thus making it easy to work there. Nothing to tedious. I loved it here. Putting a smile on others face and stomach.
Pros
Happy Guests
Cons
Volunteer Work = No Pay.
Great management
Industrial Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 21, 2017
I was very pleased to have worked with Meals On Wheels, SA. Great management, great teams, and was very happy to efficiently work with different teams from different backgrounds.

They help my team and I easily reach our goals to design a new facility layout and develop a more efficient daily and long-term operations.
Pros
Good team work, good communication skills.
Very rewarding
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the wonderful group of people and clients you work with every day.. I learned how hard it can be for people without family to stay in their own homes. This company provides a very valuable service.
Pros
Helping people who truly need it.
Cons
weather
Easy work with stresses
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 18, 2017
The workload was easy and rewarding, but stressful since scheduling volunteers to deliver food. We were trying to grow the amount of clients that participated in the Meals on Wheels program. Some clients did not like the food.
Volunteers not showing up when they said they would, complaints about the food that was prepared by a hospital under a dietitians supervision and trying to grow the client base was all in the days work.
I really enjoyed delivering food to our elderly clients. Sometimes we were the only contact our clients had.
The hardest part of the job is when a client passed away.
Great people to work with and rewarding job
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 18, 2017
I maintained Accreditation, Managed staff to completed requirements for program. I worked with home and for bound clients. Completed Assessments. Coordinated volunteers and coordinated food supplies as well as funding sources.

This job was personally rewarding. I enjoyed helping those who needed the service. Although, they were not able to pay what the responsibilities of the job requirement, due to their reduced funding and truly nonprofit status.
Pros
Great people, personally rewarding work
Cons
lack of sufficient funds for staff
Wonderful organization with a meaningful mission statement
Kitchen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 9, 2017
A job environment that relies mostly on volunteer staffing must be a positive and focused place of business. Meals on Wheels was supportive of managers and provided an excellent culture.
Pros
great benefits for a nonprofit
Cons
low pay as a nonprofit
Management is poor
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 8, 2017
low paid and not enough hours. also the managers and bosses are not stern and let a lot of things take place that shouldn't. overall the work is not to bad but the compensation could be a lot better. We were told we were getting a raise 6/1/2017 and still have not received it.
Pros
free lunch
benefits
Prefer not to answer, no comment
Receptionist/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Nanuet, NYAugust 7, 2017
Prefer not to answer. No comment. I have no feedback about this position, I feel that it is a job that is not appreciated for what is expected of the person.
Pros
work flexibility
Cons
salary
Great working enviornment and working with diferent people each day.
Prep/Line cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2017
My Time working with this company was a very educational one, which help to lead a better understanding as to how to work with others and definitely help improve my multi-tasking skills, which proved to be well needed on future jobs where i worked for another temp.service. I find myself well prepared now to work somewhere permanent instead of having to travel throughout the city, which i have previously done for the past year. Every job that i work, i find more and more experience as to how and better my talent as a cook. I find working with many chefs, being a most profitable experience. Profitable, meaning knowledge.The most difficult part of the job i sometimes find would be the perfection and quality of what i bring to the job.That meaning, what it is i am expected to create for those that pay and hire me to do. I am not truly certain if perfection can actually be a certain thing being a chef, but i do know that i give my all in whatever it is i do.
Pros
Learning how to create more dishes and making friends.
Cons
Not being able to satisfy the customer even though you might have given your all.
Good workplace
Kitchen Help (Former Employee) –  Belen, NMJuly 31, 2017
My co-workers were very friendly to all. They were a great help and a joy to work with. My boss was considerate when there was a death in my family. The workload was no more then I could handle. The elderly also made it a very enjoyable place to work. I received breaks when needed as well as free lunch.
Pros
free lunch, breaks
No Help From Upper Management--Very Low Pay
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 30, 2017
We fulfill a great need, feeding our elderly and disabled. I am a site manager who works very hard and receives almost nothing in pay and even worse no appreciation from upper management.
Pros
My carriers are the best!
Cons
Very, very low pay and no help or appreciation from management.
Great place to volunteer and give back to the community
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lompoc, CAJuly 27, 2017
Great place to volunteer and give back to the community. Flexible with work days and hour. Kind customers. Kind employees. Ability to pick work load. Rewarding.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
N/a
Fast Paced detail oriented
Cook/Prep/Delivery Helper (Former Employee) –  Suisun City, CAJuly 17, 2017
Meals on wheels was a very fulfilling position because of the work I knew I was providing to the community. It was a position I took a lot of pride in knowing I was serving the most vulnerable consumers in the food service industry.
This is a great volunteer job. I love helping out.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Angola, NYJuly 9, 2017
I only help out once a week, and I'm not a paid employee. I volunteer at this job. I go in and help the drivers load their cars, so they can deliver the meals to the seniors to our area, who are not able to to make their own meals. I then help to unload the cars once the driver return.
Pros
Work with really good people.
Cons
A non profit organisation feeding senior citizens in need.
Site Manager / Cook (Former Employee) –  Connell, WAJuly 6, 2017
I was responsible for cooking, cleaning, scheduling, answering the phones, and fixing any problems that arose during a work day. It was a very rewarding position. Allowing me to use my customer service skills, my culinary knowledge and exercise my love of helping those in need. Everyone from the highest management down where caring and extremely easy to get along with and quick to problem solve.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Low pay
Fun Helping People
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 23, 2017
This job is mostly helping people out who are in need of food. This was a learning experience of not thinking all about myself and how some people are not as grateful as others. I wanted people to think equally and know that someone is able to help them out.
Great Place to work
Director/Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 18, 2017
Working with Meals on Wheels was probably the most humbling experience in my life. to go to peoples home and see the conditions in which they lived but to still be able to smile. Great life lesson.
Pros
People
Cons
Living conditions of the people
Enlightening experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 15, 2017
I would typically arrive around 7am and work until 12pm a couple days a week. I would prepare meals to be delivered to elderly people around Boulder, and I would also serve them when they came into the building. It was a really enlightening experience because these people really did appreciate what all of us were doing for them.