Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews in United States

Very rewarding.
Food Delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
Deliver much needed healthy meals to senior citizens along with a beautiful smile and conversation, because many live alone and stay home all day. The food would consist of around 40 hot and cold meals, needed to be delivered to customers whose addresses ranged from 116th-14 street in Manhattan. The co-workers were lovely, we were a big family. The most challenging part of the job was the physical strength required to deliver the meals, but it was all worth it once I saw the smile on the client's faces.
Great people to wortk with and very supportive to those of of us that deliver meals to MOW clients.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 25, 2016
The people who prepare the meals and those that assemble the meals (hot meals, bread, dessert) to distribute them to those of us that deliver the meals to MOW clients are a great bunch of people. The exhibit a true concern for the clients who receive their meals through Meals on Wheels. It is very difficult when you deliver meals to clients that live in dire situations.

Meals on Wheels is very conscious of the need to maintain privacy for their clients and require the distribution sheets be shredded after all meals have been delivered for the day.

I am glad that I can be service to our community by delivering meals to those that are unable to prepare food for themselves. The clients often tell us how very much they appreciate of our efforts.
good resource of experince
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIJune 24, 2016
Meals on wheels is a good source of experience, due to being able to help the elderly in the process of delivering food, this give me a chance to get out in the community to be involved in. it also gives me human interaction and prepares me for an actual job
Pros
meetng new people
Cons
long days riding in a van
enjoyed providing meals for the elderly
NONPROFIT AND VOLUNTEER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAMarch 3, 2016
Prepared meals and packaged meals for delivery to home bound clients. I learned how to be adaptable to different situations. Management rarely listened to suggestions but tried to run the organization in a profitable way. My co volunteers were fantastic. The hardest part was after changing to prepackaged foods we lost a lot of clients and I lost my position to help in the kitchen. The most enjoyable part was providing food for shut ins and knowing that someone was checking on them if they were alone.
Pros
helping the elderly and disabled
Cons
converting to pre- processed food
Fast paced environment.
Christian Senior Services (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
My day starts by retrieving over night messages from clients who are cancelling their meal deliveries. After adjusting the driver's route sheets, I archive the day's meal cancellations. I adjust driver's route sheets by sequencing the addresses of clients to make the driver's routes flow smoothly. I then verify and input new client data. I handle client concerns and take referrals from home health agencies. When routes are finished I archive all non deliveries and create the next day's route sheets. I work closely with caseworkers, volunteer coordinators and drivers. I greatly enjoy talking to the drivers when they turn in their route sheets. They give me updates on client's, routes and meals. The hardest part of each day is talking to hungry callers who are wanting to receive meals immediately.
Pros
Feeding hungry seniors, free daily lunch and early hours.
Cons
Combined vacation and sick hours (PTO).
A community job that helps the eldery during their times of needs
Congregate Meal Center Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East Dublin, GAFebruary 2, 2016
The aging population is escalating rapidly and so is the need for volunteers. That's why we've launched the Meals on Wheels Online Volunteer Drive, supported by Subaru, to connect local Meals on Wheels programs with caring individuals like you who can help the seniors in your own community.
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2016
The West View kitchen where I volunteer is wonderful. The only paid employee is the chef, the other men and women who help to ensure our approximately 60 clients get a delicious and nutritious meal are all volunteers. It is a great and fun place to be as well as a good place to help in my mission to be of service to others.
Pros
the volunteers, helping others, good place to network
I feel useful there
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLJuly 10, 2016
I spend 4+1/2 hours volunteering with seniors. (I'm almost a senior MYSELF!). I learned that I have to be nice to the other volunteers because I could be in their shoes, also.
Pros
I like the in-house diners
Cons
I wish I got paid (I'm just a volunteer)
doing a marvelous job with less than suitable conditions
Volunteer driver, to deliver hot meals to clients (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2016
1 - gather the meals the day and make sure you have enough meals on hand for the deliveries you need to make

2 - i learned that everyone is subject to ill timed conditions and most people do appreciate you and the job of the institution on a daily basis

3 - i learned that someone likely to be worse-off than you are, to appreciate the little things in life before can vanish overnight

4 - everyone at Meals on Wheels seemed to be dedicated to offering the best and creating a very helpful outcome for both the clients and company alike
Pros
thank you's by the clients that were geuine
Volunteer Coordinator
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 13, 2016
Short hours, schedule volunteers for meal delivery seven days a week, collect funds for meals, provide snacks for volunteers. Contact Hospital meal prep with orders.
Pros
short working hours, no weekends
Cons
short working hours
Excellent feeling to know you are providing the elderly with their meals daily
Delivery Route Driver (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 12, 2015
Because this is a voluntary position I cannot comment of job security, benefits, or compensation. I love the people I met both at the MACOA office and the customers homes I visited.
Pros
You are helping others that are very much in need
Cons
No cons...you know what you are getting into financially if you volunteer.
stocking warehouse
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 13, 2016
responsible for intake within warehouse, moving pallets, and loading trucks. delivered food to the less fortunate, elderly, and under priveleged
a fun place to volunteer
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 2, 2016
I was here only for a short time but it was pretty fun delivering food for the seniors. the management was great. The seniors were fantastic.
Pros
working with seniors
Cons
volunteer only at least for me.
Not a position, just volunteer work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAMay 2, 2016
Again, this was not a full-time position. Meals on Wheels is a voluntary not-for-profit organization that I volunteer for as a driver when I can.
Good place for volunteer work.
Delivery Man (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed it and would most certainly recommend it. It is is very flexible and can be done on your lunch hour which makes this kind of volunteer work super convenient
It is an ok place to work.
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INFebruary 2, 2016
I have learn many things and I am glad to have learned. I enjoy the people I work with, and working as a team. We feed the elderly and shut in. No more to tell.
Pros
Paid holidays and weeks off
Cons
Short handed at times
Wonderful fulfilling volunteer group
Weekly driver and volunteer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 17, 2016
It is a truly a joy to volunteer with such a dedicated group of workers who strive to make a difference in the loves of those in their community.
Enthusiatic management with a collaborative environment.
Creative Development (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2015
Meals On Wheels promoted an enthusiastic, collaborative environment during my time meeting with the executive director, designing the concept, and scheduling the shoot with their communications coordinator. They were helpful, kind, and offered as much assistance as I needed to do the job well.
Very interesting and friendly people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, MNOctober 3, 2015
Doing Meals on Wheels every summer with my grandparents when I stay with them gives me a chance to meet some new people and talk to the regulars. The people we serve are friendly and love to talk if they get the chance. The hardest part of the job is getting the meals to the customers on time, because lunch is their only meal for the day. The most enjoyable is seeing everyone getting their meals.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No cons
Great staff
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Placentia, CADecember 15, 2015
Volunteer work, delivering meals to disabled, ill, elderly clients. Help with clients daily needs. I lover the feeling of giving back .
Pros
MEET ALOT OF NEAT AND INTERESTING PEOPLE
Cons
NONE, VOLUNTEER WORK DOESN'T PAY THE BILLS, BUT IS REWARDING

4.4