Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels Employer Reviews

fun and productive
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
A typical at work was fun and productive.
I learned to manage my time wisely.
The hardest part of this job is the rude people.
Workplace is fun. They play cards and watch tv
Volunteer (Former Employee), Luling, TXFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no healthcare
Preparing the food to be delivered and served to the elderly. Being able to hear all the stories the elderly tells to each other and to me.
Free Food for Underprivileged and Disabled Individuals
Volunteer (Former Employee), Longmont, COJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: free services to longmont residents
In my time volunteering for Meals on Wheels, I was able to deliver meals to elderly individuals or people who were not able to leave their homes to go get food due to medical issues or other disabilities. The whole thing would only take around an hour and a half or so to deliver out all the meals, along with a newspaper if they requested one. The meals were usually ready to go when we walked in to the center and the supervisor would greet us before we set out, giving us our route for the day. The hardest part of the job was seeing how sad it was for some of these people, whether it was their living conditions or the medical issues that were apparent visibly. The most enjoyable part of this volunteer job was seeing their faces light up when we arrived and hearing their appreciation and gratuity.
Meals On Wheels a wonderful place to help others
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: helping people
Cons: not a paying job
A typical day at Meals On Wheels includes picking up meals at a designated church and delivering the meals to people who can't cook for themselves and lack the money to do so. The hardest part of the job is not being able to do more to help the clients.
Enjoyed work for good cause. Management poor
Food handler (Former Employee), Bethlehem, PAJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: satisfaction of where the product was going to
Cons: dishonest, turn a blind eye attitude.
Typical day would be working on hotline for 2 hours then packing hot bags. Once that was done. Assisted with cold foods including preparing and removing from line to pack. I love doing things that help others. I learned Management treated people differently. I was there every day and filled in for every position. I could not get a raise because of my title. I saw people on the line including a supervisor drunk or high. After I made a complaint I was conveniently laid off.

Management should be a positive example. My one boss was fired for stealing gas cards to use for his family cars. My one supervisor was getting raises while still coming to work either high or drunk.

I saw from their example why bother to do your best and work towards raises with management who did whatever they wanted.
The best job I have ever had!!! Hands down
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Anderson, SCDecember 16, 2014
Meals on Wheels was an experience that I will never forget, and it has entered my heart and will never let go. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting the recipients and being repaid in a way that money never could meet the need. My coworkers became friends and I still see them today. The hardest part of the job was walking away for different opportunities.
Great
Volunteer (Current Employee), Cloverdale, CADecember 16, 2014
Pros: contributing to your fellow man
Aside from managing a site for a year I've been a volunteer for 16 years. Great company with cool people. The best part of the job is helping seniors who are unable to get food themselves stay healthy through nutrition. The hardest part is creating a relationship with people who are close to passing away. Any given year you have to deal with several deaths of people you've gotten to know.
Help get food to people in need
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 29, 2014
Pros: helping people in need
Cons: when it was over
I had to help deliver meals to people who could not get out in the community and get food for themselves.
I love my job.
Delivery Assistant- Delivery (Former Employee), San Pablo, CANovember 7, 2014
Pros: being an excellent worker
We worked very well and we made a good team. 5+ stars go to Meals on Wheels for delivering 2 squares to the folks who can't get up and at 'em on a day-to-day basis.
Rewarding job
Social Worker/ Case Manager for Homebound Seniors (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunches
Cons: dealing with clients with multiple needs, chronic medical problems, and chronic mental health problems, chronic substance abuse issues, finding parking, entering dirty, bug infested, cluttered homes.
Excellent, reliable delivery of meals to clients.
Excellent and caring staff
Home visits and assessment of clients need and eligibility for program
Making phone call to family members, MD's, and other service providers as needed.
Making phone calls to schedule appointments for home visits.
Going into dirty, bug infested, cluttered homes in bad neighborhoods in San francisco,
Allowing clients to maintain independence in home and not be placed in outside facility
learn how to become a medical assistant
Food Server/Prep (volunteer) (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 23, 2014
Pros: get a better job
Cons: no longer attending school.
I enjoyed the classes front/back office. I learned high to take vitals and administer medications.
Working with the elderly and playing games
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee), Luling, TXOctober 13, 2014
Pros: eating lunch with the elderly and playing games with them.
Cons: not enough hours in the day.
Being able to go everyday or even once a week just to see the elderly gather around just to talk and to play games.
Transportaion delivery job
DELIVERY DRIVER/MEAL SITE ASSISTANCE (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 4, 2014
Nice People; Good Service Program; Wish it could have been more often
A great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Portland, ORSeptember 7, 2014
Meals on Wheels is a wonderful place to volunteer to help those seniors who cannot provide for themselves. I was able to work with other amazing volunteers and staff, as well as meet some of the seniors.
hungry and funny senior citizens
Server (Former Employee), Kincaid, ILAugust 27, 2014
Pros: free lunch. new friends
Cons: no benefits
Serving and delivering meals to my seniors around the surrounding area.
a feeling of self worth and comfortable place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2014
Pros: relaxing atmosphere and doing something rewarding
Cons: not enough hours
It was fun and I was proud to part of a team that loved our job. It was easy to get along because sometimes we each run into a problem that requires a helping hand..
Worthwhile mission
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Sparkill, NYJuly 10, 2014
Pros: feel good job, caring environment, free lunch
Cons: poor pay
Pick up seniors and transport to center
Assist at Senior Center
Helping people who can not help themselves is the right thing to do.
Volunteer (Former Employee), Culver City, CaJuly 9, 2014
Pros: doing the right thing
Cons: none at all
Delivered three hot meals to the elderly and disabled.Very clean kitchen and friendly people who really take pride in their work.
Very helpful, positive vibe, great feeling and something I would do again
Food Prep (Former Employee), Portland, ORJune 27, 2014
Pros: helping out patrons and serving them great food.
Cons: no cons.
It was a volunteering/community service experience and it was a great feeling helping and feeding others. Making sure they don't have a empty stomach.
fun job with friendly benefits
Driver (Current Employee), Lawrence, MAJune 25, 2014
enjoyable because I know I am making a difficult day for others happy

1 2 3 4 5