Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

A fast pace,family sitting,team working atmosphere.
Assist Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAApril 26, 2012
My day starts by checking the phone messages to see if we had any employees called in are coming in late,
. Heating up the ovens and steam tables, filling it with water. Commuicating with the head manager and director about supply orders and menus for the following week,
I learn something every day to improve my work ethics and time and things not to do also,
My coworkers were great people,working hard together to get the jobs done. We also had some great voluteers working with too
I believe that are management team worked well and complimented each other.
The hardest part of this job was stopping what I was doing to go home because I wanted everything to be easier for the next shift
so I'm always trying to make sure that all is in order before leaving

The most enjoyable part of this job is making sure the seniors are
getting the best meals and service possible from the food to the delivery's.
Pros
feeding the elderly, handycap the best meals, i can provide for them
Cons
long unexpected hours, the unexspected emergency's
Learning environment
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 1, 2014
I enjoy helping people so a typical day at Meals on Wheels is one filled with opportunites to serve, encourage and educate people. I supervised enthusiastic volunteers that would do whatever takes to ensure great customer service for our clients. I learned how to be more flexible and resourceful when it comes to the Senior population. The hardest part of this job was not being able to help everyone, there are policies, procedures and rules that I had to follow which made it hard to really help and be a good resource for a senior in need. What I loved the most is the interaction with the clients and volunteers, the volunteers shared my love for helping and serving in the community and that made my job easier and fulfilling. The clients had alot to share and it was humbling to serve someone that fought in WWI and WWII as well as those that played a part in America's history. The entire company worked as a team to make such a wonderful program run like clockwork.
Pros
the learning opportunities offered by new hanover county.
Enjoyed work for good cause. Management poor
Food handler (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJanuary 1, 2015
Typical day would be working on hotline for 2 hours then packing hot bags. Once that was done. Assisted with cold foods including preparing and removing from line to pack. I love doing things that help others. I learned Management treated people differently. I was there every day and filled in for every position. I could not get a raise because of my title. I saw people on the line including a supervisor drunk or high. After I made a complaint I was conveniently laid off.

Management should be a positive example. My one boss was fired for stealing gas cards to use for his family cars. My one supervisor was getting raises while still coming to work either high or drunk.

I saw from their example why bother to do your best and work towards raises with management who did whatever they wanted.
Pros
satisfaction of where the product was going to
Cons
dishonest, turn a blind eye attitude.
A wonderful organization that helps many in need.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 5, 2013
Meals on Wheels is one of the best non-profit organizations to work for. They help an endless amount of people who rely upon them and their volunteers. A typical day consists of obtaining your route and list of clients for the run, picking up the hot and cold meals at your designated hospital cafeteria, and then delivering the meals to each individuals place of residence to drop off and engage in friendly conversation for a few minutes. I usually worked alone, but the hospital staff was always friendly and my supervisor was always accommodating with my shift schedule. The hardest part of the job was not being able to stay longer to chat with the people you delivered meals to. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know these individuals and seeing how much of a difference you were making in their lives by simply interacting and caring about them.
Pros
helping the community
Cons
gas/mileage on your vehicle
Free Food for Underprivileged and Disabled Individuals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COJanuary 14, 2015
In my time volunteering for Meals on Wheels, I was able to deliver meals to elderly individuals or people who were not able to leave their homes to go get food due to medical issues or other disabilities. The whole thing would only take around an hour and a half or so to deliver out all the meals, along with a newspaper if they requested one. The meals were usually ready to go when we walked in to the center and the supervisor would greet us before we set out, giving us our route for the day. The hardest part of the job was seeing how sad it was for some of these people, whether it was their living conditions or the medical issues that were apparent visibly. The most enjoyable part of this volunteer job was seeing their faces light up when we arrived and hearing their appreciation and gratuity.
Pros
free services to longmont residents
Meals on wheels provides a homebound person with a nutritious hot ,noontime meal with a friendly deliverer.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  East Dublin, GAJune 14, 2015
Drivers provide a wellness check each visit. If a client doesn't open door an emergency contact is provided to check on client because in many factors a drivers quick response may result in saving a clients life. HOT Meals are served Monday thru Friday at 12pm noon. Clients have two types of meals to choose from, one is the more healthy meal which is low in sodium ,fat and cholesterol. Option two is considered the more deluxe meal. These meals are considered restaurant meals which are usually available 7 days out of the week two can be delivered on Saturday. This program is amazing . We usually are the number one choice for the younger community to choose to volunteer with.
Pros
free food, pleasant people, great clients
Cons
one 10 minute break
Dedicated workers and a positive atmosphere
Volunteer Packer (Former Employee) –  Millersville, PAJune 16, 2014
I loved each and every one of the volunteers and workers at the Millersville Area MOW! They were helpful and I really felt like part of the team. A typical morning consisted of preparing a hot and cold meals and packing them for departure. After the regular volunteers left, I stayed after to sweep and mop. I learned a lot about the Meals on Wheels organization and the increasing need for prepared meals for the elderly and disabled community. My executive director was great and she never hesitated to find extra work for me. They made me feel like a valuable team member and I really felt like I have made a difference. The hardest part was waking up at 7 AM, but as soon as I got there I was excited to work. The most enjoyable part was conversing with the other volunteers and helping them pack food.
Pros
helpful volunteers, free snacks
Cons
only a volunteer position
Administrative Assistant - Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, IN. 46410November 19, 2012
Working 18 hours per week as an Admin. Assistant. Answering phones and taking applications for service. Calling customers if there is going to be time delay for the delivery and checking on clients making sure that are okay and seeing that there are no problems when delivering food.

Co-workers are all nice and get along. We all work together to take care of customer problems and concerns. Everyone will go above the call to get the food out to the customer Monday through Friday and truly are concerned about the welfare of clients.

Hardest part of job is that sometimes we don't have control over
the elements.

The most enjoyable part of the job is time flys, I like data entry and pride myself on accuracy.
Pros
free lunch, great caring people.
Cons
low pay through aarp
Very productive and fun place to meet people
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MASeptember 26, 2012
I would arrive at about 11:00am and shoot the breeze with my fellow workers and talk with the manager about any changes in my route.I would then pack the boxes and bags of food in my car and head out on my route.With a few changes in the clientele over the years,I had the same customers day in and day out and got to know them pretty well,mostly on a first name basis.I would chat with most of them and some were not as talkative as the others but were always friendly none the less.After I dropped off the food to the last person I would head back to base and have lunch with other drivers.
Pros
met new friends, had free lunch and had good hours
Cons
would have liked better benefits(healthcare, dental, etc.)
Hostile work environment with no promise of advancement.
Food prep and other various tasks. (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTMay 13, 2014
Overall, working here was mediocre. I worked here for a few years going above and beyond, but they did nothing to entice me to stay. The job held no challenge, or promise of advancement or raise. Also the environment was both hostile and unproductive. The supervisors cared more about being friends with certain employees than about a productive kitchen.
In the beginning working there was fun, but the constant joking loses its charm when you want to work and get your job done. In the end the lack of attentive supervisors and lack luster workers as well as a painfully hostile work environment, led to me leaving and searching for a job where the work is taken seriously with light humor.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
read review
The most rewarding act of kindness any person can do.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAMay 6, 2013
If you want to feel good about yourself and help others at the same time, being a volunteer for Meals on Wheels is the most rewarding act of kindness and compassion that any person can give. The people are so happy to see you deliver their meals and are so appreciative to have someone to talk to. In some of the people's lives the Meals on Wheels volunteer is the only person they will see or talk to on a daily or weekly basics. Not only do we deliver their meals, we check on their welfare to make sure they're in good medical condition, have taken their medication and are safe in their homes. The kindness and compassion we give them and they give back is priceless. They call me their gaurdian angel with red hair.
Pros
helping the elderly, sick and homebound. taking pride in helping people less fortunate than myself.
I would Work Here Again
Volunteer assisant (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 26, 2013
This was also a volunteer job that i did over spring break during my senior year of high school and I must say that i would work there again. Your setting up lunches for residents in the near by apartments and when your done giving meals to the assigned resident, you then feed the residents in the dining hall of the apartment complex.

They would in an assembly line type matter, one person does the meat, another, the sides, another the vegetables, another the drinks, and so on. There wasnt really a hard part to this job but the most enjoyable part is just helping and feeding others that couldnt feed themselves.
doing a marvelous job with less than suitable conditions
Volunteer driver, to deliver hot meals to clients (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 3, 2016
1 - gather the meals the day and make sure you have enough meals on hand for the deliveries you need to make

2 - i learned that everyone is subject to ill timed conditions and most people do appreciate you and the job of the institution on a daily basis

3 - i learned that someone likely to be worse-off than you are, to appreciate the little things in life before can vanish overnight

4 - everyone at Meals on Wheels seemed to be dedicated to offering the best and creating a very helpful outcome for both the clients and company alike
Pros
thank you's by the clients that were geuine
Productive workers serving the community
office & second shift manager, human resources (Current Employee) –  2 Lukens Dr New Castle DeJuly 1, 2015
A typical work day is from 830-930 am, Monday through friday. I handle all paperwork for the following day. Maintain employee problems. Keep track of all in and out punches. Write up employees for being late or not showing up to work. The hardest part of my job is when a meals are forgotten and we have to come up with a plan to run the company and perform the proper service. I love that everyday I am helping to feed the public.
Pros
self-fulfilling job, management skills, HR
Cons
Problems need to be executed properly by higher up management
it was a very well managed place and a great chance to meet people who are actually important.
cook (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 12, 2013
it was a productive work place where the people actually cre about the needs of others. my typical day of work i would get the meals together and start the day off right. i learned everyone needs help so why not offer help if it is really needed. the hardest part of the job was the hours were nott enough an at the time i had transportation issues but now i do not i am capable of working to my ability and more. the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing i was apart of helping someone to be able to enjoy a hot meal.
It is a good place to work with lots of friendly employees.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHFebruary 1, 2013
I have learned many things working with the Meals on Wheels staff. They keep me busy with filing, answering phone lines, assisting with billing, volunteers, and helping to keep track of the meal counts for each month. I enjoy working with the staff because they are friendly and assist with any questions that I may have about the work I need to do. The hardest part of the job is trying to understand the elderly clients that call in to report days they will not be home. The best part of working at Meals on Wheels is the feeling of being able to help get food to those who are in need.
Felt like I have making a deference in the community
Customer Service/ Dietary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INSeptember 6, 2012
I would walk into work and start getting ready for the trap line to get the food ready. me and my co-workers would put food in the tray and push them down the line to be sealed. after that someone at the end would count out for the volunteers for the different places the food needed to go. The hardest part of the job was standing but we would have a good long break before we would start the other job. The most enjoyable thing was that I was doing some thing good for others who couldn't get out for there house to get a meal.
Pros
free lunch and great co workers
Rewarding job
Social Worker/ Case Manager for Homebound Seniors (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2014
Excellent, reliable delivery of meals to clients.
Excellent and caring staff
Home visits and assessment of clients need and eligibility for program
Making phone call to family members, MD's, and other service providers as needed.
Making phone calls to schedule appointments for home visits.
Going into dirty, bug infested, cluttered homes in bad neighborhoods in San francisco,
Allowing clients to maintain independence in home and not be placed in outside facility
Pros
occasional free lunches
Cons
dealing with clients with multiple needs, chronic medical problems, and chronic mental health problems, chronic substance abuse issues, finding parking, entering dirty, bug infested, cluttered homes.
Productive and busy environment
Human Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2015
Meals on wheels is a great company and it gave me most of my hands on experience for the human services field. A typical day at internship was assessing clients, delivering meals and answering clients calls. The management team there was very helped, knowable and skilled in their area of work. The staff there was very polite, respectful and opened to new staff members. The hardest part about the job was talking to older adults on the phone sometimes because they were hard of hearing. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people of different walks of life and helping them wit there hardships.
Working for Meals on Wheels
Lead Field Site Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 9, 2013
It is a great experience to work for Meals On Wheels. I have the opportunity to work with so many people and that is what I love to do. My work day consisted of coordinating volunteers for the daily delivers. I sorted and packed coolers for delivers to our clients. The hardest part of the day was the last minute call outs. I was have seconds to find someone to find someone to fill the spot. That was a rush but it was always rewarding. Our goal was to ensure that no one went hungry. Awesome!
Pros
flexiblilty
Cons
part-time

4.4