Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Great Place to work for
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYNovember 19, 2016
Great hours, great benefits. Over all, just a great company to work for. I would still be working there myself but I suffered a broken collar bone and it was taking a long time to heal.
Pros
Free food on both of your breaks
Cons
One or a few people there like to stir the pot.
great work enviroment, love the employer and customers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  spokane, w.aSeptember 23, 2016
clean storage room, filing, help prepare meals and send them out, doing activities with the customers. making sure the office was clean and organized, as well as entering data into the computer system.
Pros
the work was fun enjoyed helping others and providing them with a great customer service experience.
Cons
compensation, work hours
A fun place to work at and enjoyable.
Delivery/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CASeptember 13, 2016
Working at Meals on Wheels was hard work. not only did I delivery food to the elderly but I washed dishes, very large pots and swept the floors moped the floors and took inventory. We also had to wash the vans we drove. I did learn a lot from the elderly that I delivered to they have so much knowledge and is willing to tell you. I also learned a lot about ordering inventory. as far as management is concerned there was not much room for advancement in those days. my co-workers were good people most of them willing to help out when possible. One hard part of this job is being on time for delivery and return to Meals on Wheels. delivering to the elderly was most enjoyable to me and It was good for me as a person to be able do a job that was needed by the community.
Pros
Excellent food for lunch
Cons
Sometimes we weren't offered free lunch.
Great place to volunteer and help people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 28, 2016
This organization is great to spend time volunteering. Typically you start by unloading the meals from the delivery truck and get your route and deliver the meals to the people that are on your route. The other volunteers are great and the management as well.
very nice place to work
Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 30, 2017
i was giving a chance to cook and give back to the people of my city and enjoy the smiles and just over all place of work .open mind to new foods and gave my a chane to show i can do more in all ways and culture of foods
People
Meals on Wheels volunteer (Former Employee) –  Yarnell, AZNovember 21, 2016
Delivering 15-20 meals in a rural area. Learned about the people I served. Great management. Friendly. When one of my people passed away. Smiles!
Pros
Knowing you are providing a very essential service to shut ins.
Cons
People passing away on my route.
na
Driver/ Route Maker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 19, 2016
No comment about the company.I wish I wouldnt have taken the job, The Manger was very mean and untruthful, and everyone that worked there had to come in early without pay.
Pros
independent feeling as you worked I enjoy that
Cons
Managements lack of communication as far as dutys are concerned
Excellent feeling to know you are providing the elderly with their meals daily
Delivery Route Driver (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALDecember 12, 2015
Because this is a voluntary position I cannot comment of job security, benefits, or compensation. I love the people I met both at the MACOA office and the customers homes I visited.
Pros
You are helping others that are very much in need
Cons
No cons...you know what you are getting into financially if you volunteer.
Volunteer Position
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Taylor, MIFebruary 20, 2017
I have been volunteering with Meals on Wheels for over 7 years. Its a good way to give back to the community. It has set schedule for the most part unless the delivery truck is late which sometimes puts you behind. Also closed for all major holidays.
Pros
Set schedule and route
Cons
Only volunteer positions available
Great Place
Facilities/IT Support (Current Employee) –  Haltom City, TXOctober 4, 2016
Meals on Wheels is a great place to gain experience not only in IT but also how IT merges with the daily operation of things. A typical day consists of checking in around the building to make sure everyone is up and running. Then checking emails to see if there are any alerts on the systems. From there you handle the day to day issue that pop up or work on procedures. The people are great and the boss is even better.
Meals on Wheels
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 3, 2016
This was the best job I ever had, I regret leaving it. The other employees are a joy to work with. The different characters you meet, makes you step back and exam yourself, you are forced to become better, because hurting someone's feeling is not an option. You take on a job at Meals on Wheels, with the passion and desire to help people, and if given the opportunity to work with them, take it.
Pros
Everything I just mentioned
fun and productive
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Adelanto, CAJanuary 4, 2017
being around the seniors was always a fun experience hearing about their life and memories. although I was in the kitchen all the time I would always make sure I made my rounds to say hi to everyone I mainly washed the dishes
Great personal service with great personal rewards.
Meals on Wheels Courier (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 10, 2016
I have never worked at a place that is so rewarding as Meals on Wheels. Not only for the actual deliveries that I and many others do as well, but for the way the non-profit is ran and how they take care of their employees.
Fun environment with great people.
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, NEAugust 30, 2016
Overall enjoyed this job. Great people to work with and was very rewarding. Worked with me on my hours and good pay.
Couldn't go to work and school at the same time which caused me to quit the job.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not career material
Good company for seniors in need.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 2, 2016
I enjoy helping elderly people, who can't fend for themselves. Also one day I will become a senior and one day I won't be able to do the things that I use to do when I was younger.So why not treat others the way you want to be treated.
Meal on Wheels
Delivery Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2016
The hardest part of my job was not being able to distribute more food faster. The most enjoyable part was seeing smiling faces after helping people who needed it.
Pros
Helping others
Enjoyed work for good cause. Management poor
Food handler (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAJanuary 1, 2015
Typical day would be working on hotline for 2 hours then packing hot bags. Once that was done. Assisted with cold foods including preparing and removing from line to pack. I love doing things that help others. I learned Management treated people differently. I was there every day and filled in for every position. I could not get a raise because of my title. I saw people on the line including a supervisor drunk or high. After I made a complaint I was conveniently laid off.

Management should be a positive example. My one boss was fired for stealing gas cards to use for his family cars. My one supervisor was getting raises while still coming to work either high or drunk.

I saw from their example why bother to do your best and work towards raises with management who did whatever they wanted.
Pros
Satisfaction of where the product was going to
Cons
Dishonest, turn a blind eye attitude.
it was a good environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 15, 2017
i really didnt like working for meals on wheels it wasnt the people it was just the job itself i was burning my hands with chemicals
Great Volunteer Opportunity
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Delivered meals to the elderly and disabled. Very fulfilling volunteer opportunity. Very organized and professional.
The kitchen was spacious
Cashier, Cashiers (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 29, 2016
Learned how to make bigger quantities of meals for the sick and shut-in. Learned different shortcuts on making a big amount of food.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meals on Wheels. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4