Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Meals on wheels provides a homebound person with a nutritious hot ,noontime meal with a friendly deliverer.
Food Server (Former Employee), East Dublin, GAJune 14, 2015
Pros: free food, pleasant people, great clients
Cons: one 10 minute break
Drivers provide a wellness check each visit. If a client doesn't open door an emergency contact is provided to check on client because in many factors a drivers quick response may result in saving a clients life. HOT Meals are served Monday thru Friday at 12pm noon. Clients have two types of meals to choose from, one is the more healthy meal which is low in sodium ,fat and cholesterol. Option two is considered the more deluxe meal. These meals are considered restaurant meals which are usually available 7 days out of the week two can be delivered on Saturday. This program is amazing . We usually are the number one choice for the younger community to choose to volunteer with.
good work enviorment
Associate (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLMay 23, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
The hours are not long so if needed to only work a few hours would be good. Mostly dealing with customers helping bring in donations or loading things in cars.
Productive and busy environment
Human Services Intern (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2015
Meals on wheels is a great company and it gave me most of my hands on experience for the human services field. A typical day at internship was assessing clients, delivering meals and answering clients calls. The management team there was very helped, knowable and skilled in their area of work. The staff there was very polite, respectful and opened to new staff members. The hardest part about the job was talking to older adults on the phone sometimes because they were hard of hearing. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people of different walks of life and helping them wit there hardships.
it was very fun over all working with them
food server (Former Employee), Massillon ohioMay 19, 2015
Every one was very respectful to each and I the hours they work. they don't work on the holidays. show on time is a key to the company and being respectful to the customer. the building is very small and it look like a family business
Great place to give back
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 13, 2015
This was a great opportunity to give back to those in the community and to interact with others. It was very fast paced and everyone was willing to work with one another.
fun job
Cook/Driver (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 7, 2015
its a job that u fall in love with because of the employees was like family and when u go out and talk to the senior citizen that's what make u happy about this job u really don't no how senior living until u work for them.
Productive work place
Driver (Former Employee), Clovis, NMMay 6, 2015
Pros: The people you come in contact with
Cons: No healthcare benefits
I just delivered homemade meals to the elderly on a daily basis. I interacted with the people on my route which made it more enjoyable to work for the City of Clovis. The job was some what stressful because we had some co-workers that made it hard to work with. The job was only part-time so there were no benefits. The hardest part was leaving my route because the City no longer funded the program.
Busy workplace
COO (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CAMay 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours
Cons: Short breaks, benefits
This is like a family environment business with the mission to serve seniors in Contra Costa County.
I learned to never give up and to do whatever it takes to find resources to the most venerable population, "our seniors."
When we couldn't find the help needed for a needed senior that was the hardest part of the job, we always tried though. The most enjoyable part of the job being able to serve thousands of seniors, seeing their smiles and knowing their stories.
Motivational and productive spacious company
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Dover, DEApril 20, 2015
Learned how productive this company was in delivering meals to those in need. This company is non-profit organization. As I worked there I learned to file names and address, organize food, recognize health benefits, and even had to personally deliver meals to senior citizens ages 60 and above and those with health benefits.
Great place, happy to work there.
Team Leader (Current Employee), Lafayette, INApril 8, 2015
Pros: Great work environment and co workers. Always something going on to keep you on your toes.
Cons: Not always enough to do to fill up a work day as a lower tier employee but this is rare.
You'll learn a lot about quick decision making as problems arise which are not necessarily on the organization's end. But with a group of great people working there, it's easy goings and a wonderful job that helps others.
Company Parities
delivery driver (Former Employee), san franciscoMarch 23, 2015
Pros: off early
Cons: no breaks
deliver meals to home bound clients. Nice people. heavy days on Fridays due to weekend food delivery. Great co workers.
Meals on Wheels
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Des Moines, IAMarch 16, 2015
I enjoyed meals on wheels it was a really pleasant experience and I would absolutely to work for them again, I enjoyed working with the seniors and the staff, the only down fall is the pay, if the pay was better it would be a great job.
Meal Delivery to Home-bound
Delivery driver (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 15, 2015
Pros: smiling faces, life stories
Cons: seeing people homebound
Delivering meals to the home-bound in the afternoon time was a typical workday. Riding around in a car with simple meals for lunch. I learned that some people can't leave their houses even if they wanted something as simple as a meal. My co-workers were amazing. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that what I was doing was for no profit and hearing all of their stores.
Rewarding job but low pay
RAIN SENIOR OPTIONS- DRIVER (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 2, 2015
I loved what I used to do but the pay is not practical. It is definitely a temporary job for people who need extra pocket money.
fun and productive
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short break
A typical at work was fun and productive.
I learned to manage my time wisely.
The hardest part of this job is the rude people.
Workplace is fun. They play cards and watch tv
Volunteer (Former Employee), Luling, TXFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no healthcare
Preparing the food to be delivered and served to the elderly. Being able to hear all the stories the elderly tells to each other and to me.
Free Food for Underprivileged and Disabled Individuals
Volunteer (Former Employee), Longmont, COJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: free services to longmont residents
In my time volunteering for Meals on Wheels, I was able to deliver meals to elderly individuals or people who were not able to leave their homes to go get food due to medical issues or other disabilities. The whole thing would only take around an hour and a half or so to deliver out all the meals, along with a newspaper if they requested one. The meals were usually ready to go when we walked in to the center and the supervisor would greet us before we set out, giving us our route for the day. The hardest part of the job was seeing how sad it was for some of these people, whether it was their living conditions or the medical issues that were apparent visibly. The most enjoyable part of this volunteer job was seeing their faces light up when we arrived and hearing their appreciation and gratuity.
Meals On Wheels a wonderful place to help others
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: helping people
Cons: not a paying job
A typical day at Meals On Wheels includes picking up meals at a designated church and delivering the meals to people who can't cook for themselves and lack the money to do so. The hardest part of the job is not being able to do more to help the clients.
Enjoyed work for good cause. Management poor
Food handler (Former Employee), Bethlehem, PAJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: satisfaction of where the product was going to
Cons: dishonest, turn a blind eye attitude.
Typical day would be working on hotline for 2 hours then packing hot bags. Once that was done. Assisted with cold foods including preparing and removing from line to pack. I love doing things that help others. I learned Management treated people differently. I was there every day and filled in for every position. I could not get a raise because of my title. I saw people on the line including a supervisor drunk or high. After I made a complaint I was conveniently laid off.

Management should be a positive example. My one boss was fired for stealing gas cards to use for his family cars. My one supervisor was getting raises while still coming to work either high or drunk.

I saw from their example why bother to do your best and work towards raises with management who did whatever they wanted.
The best job I have ever had!!! Hands down
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Anderson, SCDecember 16, 2014
Meals on Wheels was an experience that I will never forget, and it has entered my heart and will never let go. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting the recipients and being repaid in a way that money never could meet the need. My coworkers became friends and I still see them today. The hardest part of the job was walking away for different opportunities.

1 2 3 4 5