Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

great work enviroment, love the employer and customers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  spokane, w.aSeptember 23, 2016
clean storage room, filing, help prepare meals and send them out, doing activities with the customers. making sure the office was clean and organized, as well as entering data into the computer system.
Pros
the work was fun enjoyed helping others and providing them with a great customer service experience.
Cons
compensation, work hours
A fun place to work at and enjoyable.
Delivery/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CASeptember 13, 2016
Working at Meals on Wheels was hard work. not only did I delivery food to the elderly but I washed dishes, very large pots and swept the floors moped the floors and took inventory. We also had to wash the vans we drove. I did learn a lot from the elderly that I delivered to they have so much knowledge and is willing to tell you. I also learned a lot about ordering inventory. as far as management is concerned there was not much room for advancement in those days. my co-workers were good people most of them willing to help out when possible. One hard part of this job is being on time for delivery and return to Meals on Wheels. delivering to the elderly was most enjoyable to me and It was good for me as a person to be able do a job that was needed by the community.
Pros
Excellent food for lunch
Cons
Sometimes we weren't offered free lunch.
Great company to help the community.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 9, 2016
I enjoyed teaming up with the Meals on Wheels company and assisting the community of Staten Island. The company has taught me to be vigilant on home safety needs and geriatric concerns.
Meals on Wheels
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 3, 2016
This was the best job I ever had, I regret leaving it. The other employees are a joy to work with. The different characters you meet, makes you step back and exam yourself, you are forced to become better, because hurting someone's feeling is not an option. You take on a job at Meals on Wheels, with the passion and desire to help people, and if given the opportunity to work with them, take it.
Pros
Everything I just mentioned
Cons
Fun environment with great people.
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, NEAugust 30, 2016
Overall enjoyed this job. Great people to work with and was very rewarding. Worked with me on my hours and good pay.
Couldn't go to work and school at the same time which caused me to quit the job.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not career material
Very personally fulfilling job.
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTAugust 16, 2016
Volunteering for the Meals on Wheels program was a wonderful experience. Knowing that you are able to contribute to helping the aging community in some way is a very gratifying experience.
Pros
Being able to help and build friendships
Cons
None!
Unproductive and imbalanced place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 4, 2016
No clear Leadership or Executive decision making.
No Employee morale.
Hourly Rate of pay too low for work required.
No cohesion within the departmental staff.
Lack of diversity within administrative positions.
I feel useful there
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLJuly 10, 2016
I spend 4+1/2 hours volunteering with seniors. (I'm almost a senior MYSELF!). I learned that I have to be nice to the other volunteers because I could be in their shoes, also.
Pros
I like the in-house diners
Cons
I wish I got paid (I'm just a volunteer)
good resource of experince
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIJune 24, 2016
Meals on wheels is a good source of experience, due to being able to help the elderly in the process of delivering food, this give me a chance to get out in the community to be involved in. it also gives me human interaction and prepares me for an actual job
Pros
meetng new people
Cons
long days riding in a van
stocking warehouse
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 13, 2016
responsible for intake within warehouse, moving pallets, and loading trucks. delivered food to the less fortunate, elderly, and under priveleged
Very rewarding.
Food Delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
Deliver much needed healthy meals to senior citizens along with a beautiful smile and conversation, because many live alone and stay home all day. The food would consist of around 40 hot and cold meals, needed to be delivered to customers whose addresses ranged from 116th-14 street in Manhattan. The co-workers were lovely, we were a big family. The most challenging part of the job was the physical strength required to deliver the meals, but it was all worth it once I saw the smile on the client's faces.
Great people to wortk with and very supportive to those of of us that deliver meals to MOW clients.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 25, 2016
The people who prepare the meals and those that assemble the meals (hot meals, bread, dessert) to distribute them to those of us that deliver the meals to MOW clients are a great bunch of people. The exhibit a true concern for the clients who receive their meals through Meals on Wheels. It is very difficult when you deliver meals to clients that live in dire situations.

Meals on Wheels is very conscious of the need to maintain privacy for their clients and require the distribution sheets be shredded after all meals have been delivered for the day.

I am glad that I can be service to our community by delivering meals to those that are unable to prepare food for themselves. The clients often tell us how very much they appreciate of our efforts.
Not a position, just volunteer work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAMay 2, 2016
Again, this was not a full-time position. Meals on Wheels is a voluntary not-for-profit organization that I volunteer for as a driver when I can.
Fast paced environment.
Christian Senior Services (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
My day starts by retrieving over night messages from clients who are cancelling their meal deliveries. After adjusting the driver's route sheets, I archive the day's meal cancellations. I adjust driver's route sheets by sequencing the addresses of clients to make the driver's routes flow smoothly. I then verify and input new client data. I handle client concerns and take referrals from home health agencies. When routes are finished I archive all non deliveries and create the next day's route sheets. I work closely with caseworkers, volunteer coordinators and drivers. I greatly enjoy talking to the drivers when they turn in their route sheets. They give me updates on client's, routes and meals. The hardest part of each day is talking to hungry callers who are wanting to receive meals immediately.
Pros
Feeding hungry seniors, free daily lunch and early hours.
Cons
Combined vacation and sick hours (PTO).
Volunteer Coordinator
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 13, 2016
Short hours, schedule volunteers for meal delivery seven days a week, collect funds for meals, provide snacks for volunteers. Contact Hospital meal prep with orders.
Pros
short working hours, no weekends
Cons
short working hours
Good place for volunteer work.
Delivery Man (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed it and would most certainly recommend it. It is is very flexible and can be done on your lunch hour which makes this kind of volunteer work super convenient
enjoyed providing meals for the elderly
NONPROFIT AND VOLUNTEER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAMarch 3, 2016
Prepared meals and packaged meals for delivery to home bound clients. I learned how to be adaptable to different situations. Management rarely listened to suggestions but tried to run the organization in a profitable way. My co volunteers were fantastic. The hardest part was after changing to prepackaged foods we lost a lot of clients and I lost my position to help in the kitchen. The most enjoyable part was providing food for shut ins and knowing that someone was checking on them if they were alone.
Pros
helping the elderly and disabled
Cons
converting to pre- processed food
a fun place to volunteer
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 2, 2016
I was here only for a short time but it was pretty fun delivering food for the seniors. the management was great. The seniors were fantastic.
Pros
working with seniors
Cons
volunteer only at least for me.
Wonderful fulfilling volunteer group
Weekly driver and volunteer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 17, 2016
It is a truly a joy to volunteer with such a dedicated group of workers who strive to make a difference in the loves of those in their community.
It is an ok place to work.
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INFebruary 2, 2016
I have learn many things and I am glad to have learned. I enjoy the people I work with, and working as a team. We feed the elderly and shut in. No more to tell.
Pros
Paid holidays and weeks off
Cons
Short handed at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meals on Wheels. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4