Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful fulfilling volunteer group
Weekly driver and volunteer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 17, 2016
It is a truly a joy to volunteer with such a dedicated group of workers who strive to make a difference in the loves of those in their community.
It is an ok place to work.
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INFebruary 2, 2016
I have learn many things and I am glad to have learned. I enjoy the people I work with, and working as a team. We feed the elderly and shut in. No more to tell.
Pros
Paid holidays and weeks off
Cons
Short handed at times
Productive workers serving the community
office & second shift manager, human resources (Current Employee) –  2 Lukens Dr New Castle DeJuly 1, 2015
A typical work day is from 830-930 am, Monday through friday. I handle all paperwork for the following day. Maintain employee problems. Keep track of all in and out punches. Write up employees for being late or not showing up to work. The hardest part of my job is when a meals are forgotten and we have to come up with a plan to run the company and perform the proper service. I love that everyday I am helping to feed the public.
Pros
self-fulfilling job, management skills, HR
Cons
Problems need to be executed properly by higher up management
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Leasure World Silver Spring MDSeptember 11, 2015
An organization with detail customer service along with management
duties . Client base program that not only serves food to the clients but provides source of communication and companion care for the client .Very good company to work for,
Pros
The customer care.
Cons
lots of walking.
Productive and busy environment
Human Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2015
Meals on wheels is a great company and it gave me most of my hands on experience for the human services field. A typical day at internship was assessing clients, delivering meals and answering clients calls. The management team there was very helped, knowable and skilled in their area of work. The staff there was very polite, respectful and opened to new staff members. The hardest part about the job was talking to older adults on the phone sometimes because they were hard of hearing. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people of different walks of life and helping them wit there hardships.
Great staff
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Placentia, CADecember 15, 2015
Volunteer work, delivering meals to disabled, ill, elderly clients. Help with clients daily needs. I lover the feeling of giving back .
Pros
MEET ALOT OF NEAT AND INTERESTING PEOPLE
Cons
NONE, VOLUNTEER WORK DOESN'T PAY THE BILLS, BUT IS REWARDING
Hostile work environment with no promise of advancement.
Food prep and other various tasks. (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTMay 13, 2014
Overall, working here was mediocre. I worked here for a few years going above and beyond, but they did nothing to entice me to stay. The job held no challenge, or promise of advancement or raise. Also the environment was both hostile and unproductive. The supervisors cared more about being friends with certain employees than about a productive kitchen.
In the beginning working there was fun, but the constant joking loses its charm when you want to work and get your job done. In the end the lack of attentive supervisors and lack luster workers as well as a painfully hostile work environment, led to me leaving and searching for a job where the work is taken seriously with light humor.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
read review
Very interesting and friendly people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, MNOctober 3, 2015
Doing Meals on Wheels every summer with my grandparents when I stay with them gives me a chance to meet some new people and talk to the regulars. The people we serve are friendly and love to talk if they get the chance. The hardest part of the job is getting the meals to the customers on time, because lunch is their only meal for the day. The most enjoyable is seeing everyone getting their meals.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No cons
Busy workplace
COO (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMay 4, 2015
This is like a family environment business with the mission to serve seniors in Contra Costa County.
I learned to never give up and to do whatever it takes to find resources to the most venerable population, "our seniors."
When we couldn't find the help needed for a needed senior that was the hardest part of the job, we always tried though. The most enjoyable part of the job being able to serve thousands of seniors, seeing their smiles and knowing their stories.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, benefits
Very productive
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2015
Meals on Wheels was a very interesting volunteer position. I was able to meet some very interesting clients while volunteering there. I had a lot of fun being able to help those that were elderly or disabled.
Productive work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMMay 6, 2015
I just delivered homemade meals to the elderly on a daily basis. I interacted with the people on my route which made it more enjoyable to work for the City of Clovis. The job was some what stressful because we had some co-workers that made it hard to work with. The job was only part-time so there were no benefits. The hardest part was leaving my route because the City no longer funded the program.
Pros
The people you come in contact with
Cons
No healthcare benefits
Rewarding volunteer work
Board member (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, KSOctober 15, 2015
Once a week I delivered meals on wheels to seniors. I also served on the board until I started volunteering for NAMI SEK. Many of the people I served were so happy to see me because I might be the only interaction they would have for several days
Pros
Helping people
moving
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  EvermanOctober 24, 2015
I was taught so much when I went there to volunteer, it really opens your eyes up to how much suffering there is.I felt very inspired fortunate to be where I am now.
Meals on wheels provides a homebound person with a nutritious hot ,noontime meal with a friendly deliverer.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  East Dublin, GAJune 14, 2015
Drivers provide a wellness check each visit. If a client doesn't open door an emergency contact is provided to check on client because in many factors a drivers quick response may result in saving a clients life. HOT Meals are served Monday thru Friday at 12pm noon. Clients have two types of meals to choose from, one is the more healthy meal which is low in sodium ,fat and cholesterol. Option two is considered the more deluxe meal. These meals are considered restaurant meals which are usually available 7 days out of the week two can be delivered on Saturday. This program is amazing . We usually are the number one choice for the younger community to choose to volunteer with.
Pros
free food, pleasant people, great clients
Cons
one 10 minute break
Successful Non-profit organization where people embrace the mission
Volunteer Services Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 13, 2013
Manage and interact with a group of people engaged in the overall mission of the organization. The executive leadership is hand on and promotes the mission on a regular basis. The various departments function well togeter and the agency provides a team oriented atmosphere.
Pros
free lunch, mision driven, flexible, easy to work for
Cons
less than desirable compensation and insurance benefits
i loved it
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Heaven Street Baltimore,mdOctober 2, 2015
taken care of the needs of others,to make sure that i show concern for the needs of those in need helped to put me in tune with who i am a an individual .
Pros
knowing love really does conquers all
Cons
it put a lot of wear and tear on my vehicle
Food Delivery
MANAGER & DISPACHER (Former Employee) –  Campbell, CASeptember 14, 2015
Taking and placing food orders over the phone and by fax. Making sure that orders are delivered on time. Dispatching over 20 drivers to restaurants to pick up and deliver orders. Handled customer complaints making sure a problems were corrected swiftly and in a timely manner.
Motivational and productive spacious company
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 20, 2015
Learned how productive this company was in delivering meals to those in need. This company is non-profit organization. As I worked there I learned to file names and address, organize food, recognize health benefits, and even had to personally deliver meals to senior citizens ages 60 and above and those with health benefits.
Dedicated workers and a positive atmosphere
Volunteer Packer (Former Employee) –  Millersville, PAJune 16, 2014
I loved each and every one of the volunteers and workers at the Millersville Area MOW! They were helpful and I really felt like part of the team. A typical morning consisted of preparing a hot and cold meals and packing them for departure. After the regular volunteers left, I stayed after to sweep and mop. I learned a lot about the Meals on Wheels organization and the increasing need for prepared meals for the elderly and disabled community. My executive director was great and she never hesitated to find extra work for me. They made me feel like a valuable team member and I really felt like I have made a difference. The hardest part was waking up at 7 AM, but as soon as I got there I was excited to work. The most enjoyable part was conversing with the other volunteers and helping them pack food.
Pros
helpful volunteers, free snacks
Cons
only a volunteer position
Very productive and fun place to meet people
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MASeptember 26, 2012
I would arrive at about 11:00am and shoot the breeze with my fellow workers and talk with the manager about any changes in my route.I would then pack the boxes and bags of food in my car and head out on my route.With a few changes in the clientele over the years,I had the same customers day in and day out and got to know them pretty well,mostly on a first name basis.I would chat with most of them and some were not as talkative as the others but were always friendly none the less.After I dropped off the food to the last person I would head back to base and have lunch with other drivers.
Pros
met new friends, had free lunch and had good hours
Cons
would have liked better benefits(healthcare, dental, etc.)

4.4