Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Place, where you can help the people.
delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WANovember 27, 2017
This job is not about money. Here you can help seniors or disabled people to make their life better. People who devote their time to feeding and helping the elderly and sick are always friendly.
The best asset that Meals on Wheels has is it people!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Suisun City, CANovember 27, 2017
Typical day at work:
Load van for deliveries to senior centers, volunteers and clients.
deliver approximate 35 meals to housebound senior citizens.
Return to Senior Center, pick up empty coolers and tote bags, return to main office/ kitchen. Unload and put away coolers and tote bags, Put undelivered food back in freezer. Probably the best part of the day is the home deliveries. You do get attached to the people you deliver to.
Pros
Great people to work with. Great mission.
Cons
Wages are minimum wage without benefits. Budget restraints of Non profit.
Professional but family environment
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 12, 2017
This company is like family, that remain professional but also like family. Management staff is incredible. co workers are friendly and fun to be around, smiles on faces everyday.
time spent
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJNovember 9, 2017
i learned a lot during my time at Meals on Wheels and I had a sense of accomplishment because i was able to provide meals to those who are unable to leave their home or have no one to care for them
Very Fullfilling
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Westchester CountyNovember 1, 2017
Very Satisfying experience while I was raising my family. I both volunteered when time permitted and worked part time in order to keep myself engaged in the nutrition community.
They have roaches. Men are pervs there
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 27, 2017
My first day going to meals on wheels I was sitting at a desk and a huge pregnat roach starts crawling up the wall. The "management" & boss is a joke. They say inappropriate things like men do drinking around a bar.
Pros
You get off around 10:30 and get 8 hrs.
Cons
When you twist youre ankle or youre dad passes away they don't care. They only want you to work
Was a volunteer
Senior and Disabled Services (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OROctober 18, 2017
I was a volunteer and thoroughly enjoyed working with fellow volunteers. We served a lot of people and I feel it an invaluable service and experience.
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
not enough funding
Relaxing place to work
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 16, 2017
Working at meals on wheels was very relaxing and I got a chance to meet some really wonderful and nice people in my short time at meals on wheels. Very friendly and helpful
Pros
relaxing
Cons
working in the snow
Great place to volunteer.
Delivery Assistant (Current Employee) –  Covina, CAOctober 15, 2017
While volunteering for Meals on Wheels, I got to meet many interesting people. Another great perk is knowing that you're helping people who otherwise might not be able to afford or acquire nutritious meals.
Meald on wheels was a good place to work
Meal preparer (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXOctober 13, 2017
Meals on wheels was a great place to work and I really enjoyed it, it was fast paced at time also it was a relaxed environment I was a meal preper we would get meals and other things ready for the next day.
Loved working with seniors.
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Coxsackie, NYOctober 6, 2017
It was a friendly atmosphere. Always had fun with the seniors. We would decorate for the holidays. Played games with them. Always had music going.....
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLSeptember 24, 2017
Volunteering has been very rewarding and you meet wonderful people. I volunteer along with my mother in law. We serve lunches and distribute donated food to the wonderful seniors each day through the week. The hardest part of the position is when we lose a client. Just knowing that we are making a difference in someone's life is reward enough for me.
Pros
Volunteering has been very rewarding
Cons
Volunteering has been very rewarding
Volunteer position. Delivery of hot meals to seniors that otherwise would not have nutritious foods
Volunteer Driver for delivery of meals (Former Employee) –  New Jersey, rural areaSeptember 12, 2017
Enjoyed the interaction with the seniors. Often would be the only other human they interacted with that day. Would stay extra time at each senior's home to allow for conversation or a quick game of cards. Managed my time such that each senior would receive their meal during the designated time frame as directed by management. Kept a careful eye on each senior to determine state of health and environment, and presented concerns to management for their follow up with appropriate elderly-care programs.
Pros
Enjpyed the interactions with the senior. Many of them share their remberences. their loves, losses of friends who had passed, and what made them smile. I felt good that I was able to provide them ot only the food, but also a listening ear.
Cons
Some of the recipients were consistenttly angry at the world, didn't like the food and wanted something else delivered, and always complained that I was too late in delivering their meal.
good
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 11, 2017
My job was one of service and dedication. I delivered meals to elderly and disabled people. I learned how to make conversation with the people I was serving. Management was good. Work culture was easygoing. The hardest part of the job was getting to everyone's house in a timely manner. This was before the time of navigators.
Amazing workplace
(Volunteer) Thrift Store (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92154August 29, 2017
Friendly attitudes as well as the workplace thus making it easy to work there. Nothing to tedious. I loved it here. Putting a smile on others face and stomach.
Pros
Happy Guests
Cons
Volunteer Work = No Pay.
Great management
Industrial Engineering Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 21, 2017
I was very pleased to have worked with Meals On Wheels, SA. Great management, great teams, and was very happy to efficiently work with different teams from different backgrounds.

They help my team and I easily reach our goals to design a new facility layout and develop a more efficient daily and long-term operations.
Pros
Good team work, good communication skills.
Very rewarding
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the wonderful group of people and clients you work with every day.. I learned how hard it can be for people without family to stay in their own homes. This company provides a very valuable service.
Pros
Helping people who truly need it.
Cons
weather
Easy work with stresses
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 18, 2017
The workload was easy and rewarding, but stressful since scheduling volunteers to deliver food. We were trying to grow the amount of clients that participated in the Meals on Wheels program. Some clients did not like the food.
Volunteers not showing up when they said they would, complaints about the food that was prepared by a hospital under a dietitians supervision and trying to grow the client base was all in the days work.
I really enjoyed delivering food to our elderly clients. Sometimes we were the only contact our clients had.
The hardest part of the job is when a client passed away.
Great people to work with and rewarding job
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAAugust 18, 2017
I maintained Accreditation, Managed staff to completed requirements for program. I worked with home and for bound clients. Completed Assessments. Coordinated volunteers and coordinated food supplies as well as funding sources.

This job was personally rewarding. I enjoyed helping those who needed the service. Although, they were not able to pay what the responsibilities of the job requirement, due to their reduced funding and truly nonprofit status.
Pros
Great people, personally rewarding work
Cons
lack of sufficient funds for staff
Wonderful organization with a meaningful mission statement
Kitchen Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 9, 2017
A job environment that relies mostly on volunteer staffing must be a positive and focused place of business. Meals on Wheels was supportive of managers and provided an excellent culture.
Pros
great benefits for a nonprofit
Cons
low pay as a nonprofit