Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Unproductive and imbalanced place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 4, 2016
No clear Leadership or Executive decision making.
No Employee morale.
Hourly Rate of pay too low for work required.
No cohesion within the departmental staff.
Lack of diversity within administrative positions.
Hostile work environment with no promise of advancement.
Food prep and other various tasks. (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTMay 13, 2014
Overall, working here was mediocre. I worked here for a few years going above and beyond, but they did nothing to entice me to stay. The job held no challenge, or promise of advancement or raise. Also the environment was both hostile and unproductive. The supervisors cared more about being friends with certain employees than about a productive kitchen.
In the beginning working there was fun, but the constant joking loses its charm when you want to work and get your job done. In the end the lack of attentive supervisors and lack luster workers as well as a painfully hostile work environment, led to me leaving and searching for a job where the work is taken seriously with light humor.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Read Review
Great people to wortk with and very supportive to those of of us that deliver meals to MOW clients.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 25, 2016
The people who prepare the meals and those that assemble the meals (hot meals, bread, dessert) to distribute them to those of us that deliver the meals to MOW clients are a great bunch of people. The exhibit a true concern for the clients who receive their meals through Meals on Wheels. It is very difficult when you deliver meals to clients that live in dire situations.

Meals on Wheels is very conscious of the need to maintain privacy for their clients and require the distribution sheets be shredded after all meals have been delivered for the day.

I am glad that I can be service to our community by delivering meals to those that are unable to prepare food for themselves. The clients often tell us how very much they appreciate of our efforts.
Good temporary job
Senior Meals (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 27, 2016
It was a temp job i worked at great place loved working there. The people are extremely friendly and itsagood place to get experience in a kitchen type environment.
Great company to help the community.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 9, 2016
I enjoyed teaming up with the Meals on Wheels company and assisting the community of Staten Island. The company has taught me to be vigilant on home safety needs and geriatric concerns.
Very productive and fun place to meet people
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MASeptember 26, 2012
I would arrive at about 11:00am and shoot the breeze with my fellow workers and talk with the manager about any changes in my route.I would then pack the boxes and bags of food in my car and head out on my route.With a few changes in the clientele over the years,I had the same customers day in and day out and got to know them pretty well,mostly on a first name basis.I would chat with most of them and some were not as talkative as the others but were always friendly none the less.After I dropped off the food to the last person I would head back to base and have lunch with other drivers.
Pros
met new friends, had free lunch and had good hours
Cons
would have liked better benefits(healthcare, dental, etc.)
Very personally fulfilling job.
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTAugust 16, 2016
Volunteering for the Meals on Wheels program was a wonderful experience. Knowing that you are able to contribute to helping the aging community in some way is a very gratifying experience.
Pros
Being able to help and build friendships
Cons
None!
Very rewarding.
Food Delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
Deliver much needed healthy meals to senior citizens along with a beautiful smile and conversation, because many live alone and stay home all day. The food would consist of around 40 hot and cold meals, needed to be delivered to customers whose addresses ranged from 116th-14 street in Manhattan. The co-workers were lovely, we were a big family. The most challenging part of the job was the physical strength required to deliver the meals, but it was all worth it once I saw the smile on the client's faces.
Busy workplace
COO (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMay 4, 2015
This is like a family environment business with the mission to serve seniors in Contra Costa County.
I learned to never give up and to do whatever it takes to find resources to the most venerable population, "our seniors."
When we couldn't find the help needed for a needed senior that was the hardest part of the job, we always tried though. The most enjoyable part of the job being able to serve thousands of seniors, seeing their smiles and knowing their stories.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, benefits
enjoyed providing meals for the elderly
NONPROFIT AND VOLUNTEER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAMarch 3, 2016
Prepared meals and packaged meals for delivery to home bound clients. I learned how to be adaptable to different situations. Management rarely listened to suggestions but tried to run the organization in a profitable way. My co volunteers were fantastic. The hardest part was after changing to prepackaged foods we lost a lot of clients and I lost my position to help in the kitchen. The most enjoyable part was providing food for shut ins and knowing that someone was checking on them if they were alone.
Pros
helping the elderly and disabled
Cons
converting to pre- processed food
Fast paced environment.
Christian Senior Services (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
My day starts by retrieving over night messages from clients who are cancelling their meal deliveries. After adjusting the driver's route sheets, I archive the day's meal cancellations. I adjust driver's route sheets by sequencing the addresses of clients to make the driver's routes flow smoothly. I then verify and input new client data. I handle client concerns and take referrals from home health agencies. When routes are finished I archive all non deliveries and create the next day's route sheets. I work closely with caseworkers, volunteer coordinators and drivers. I greatly enjoy talking to the drivers when they turn in their route sheets. They give me updates on client's, routes and meals. The hardest part of each day is talking to hungry callers who are wanting to receive meals immediately.
Pros
Feeding hungry seniors, free daily lunch and early hours.
Cons
Combined vacation and sick hours (PTO).
Productive work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMMay 6, 2015
I just delivered homemade meals to the elderly on a daily basis. I interacted with the people on my route which made it more enjoyable to work for the City of Clovis. The job was some what stressful because we had some co-workers that made it hard to work with. The job was only part-time so there were no benefits. The hardest part was leaving my route because the City no longer funded the program.
Pros
The people you come in contact with
Cons
No healthcare benefits
Successful Non-profit organization where people embrace the mission
Volunteer Services Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 13, 2013
Manage and interact with a group of people engaged in the overall mission of the organization. The executive leadership is hand on and promotes the mission on a regular basis. The various departments function well togeter and the agency provides a team oriented atmosphere.
Pros
free lunch, mision driven, flexible, easy to work for
Cons
less than desirable compensation and insurance benefits
good resource of experince
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIJune 24, 2016
Meals on wheels is a good source of experience, due to being able to help the elderly in the process of delivering food, this give me a chance to get out in the community to be involved in. it also gives me human interaction and prepares me for an actual job
Pros
meetng new people
Cons
long days riding in a van
I feel useful there
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLJuly 10, 2016
I spend 4+1/2 hours volunteering with seniors. (I'm almost a senior MYSELF!). I learned that I have to be nice to the other volunteers because I could be in their shoes, also.
Pros
I like the in-house diners
Cons
I wish I got paid (I'm just a volunteer)
Motivational and productive spacious company
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 20, 2015
Learned how productive this company was in delivering meals to those in need. This company is non-profit organization. As I worked there I learned to file names and address, organize food, recognize health benefits, and even had to personally deliver meals to senior citizens ages 60 and above and those with health benefits.
Feel good about what you do.
Senior Resource Connection (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 27, 2012
I think that one of the largest problems today is that people are unhappy at work, Senior Resource Connection allowed me to learn what serving the community really means. At SRC I saw first hand the teamwork it takes to ensure hot meals to thousands of people in need. No other job did I receive so many "thank you's" every day.
Pros
working for a company that cares.
Cons
low pay, no benifits.
Meals on Wheels
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 23, 2014
I volunteerd at Meals on Wheels for my required externship at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary College. I was not paid and was well aware of this fact before I began. I enjoyed helping others in need and would have loved to become a permanent employee but their funds were limited.
Pros
Helping others and doing what I love which is cooking.
Cons
Not receiving compensation.
stocking warehouse
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 13, 2016
responsible for intake within warehouse, moving pallets, and loading trucks. delivered food to the less fortunate, elderly, and under priveleged
Not a position, just volunteer work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAMay 2, 2016
Again, this was not a full-time position. Meals on Wheels is a voluntary not-for-profit organization that I volunteer for as a driver when I can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meals on Wheels. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4