Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Volunteer Coordinator
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAMarch 13, 2016
Short hours, schedule volunteers for meal delivery seven days a week, collect funds for meals, provide snacks for volunteers. Contact Hospital meal prep with orders.
Pros
short working hours, no weekends
Cons
short working hours
Great Place to work
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 11, 2015
Wonderful experience learning new skills and experiencing the helpful culture. Great people to work with, everyone is really nice to each other.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Dedicated workers and a positive atmosphere
Volunteer Packer (Former Employee) –  Millersville, PAJune 16, 2014
I loved each and every one of the volunteers and workers at the Millersville Area MOW! They were helpful and I really felt like part of the team. A typical morning consisted of preparing a hot and cold meals and packing them for departure. After the regular volunteers left, I stayed after to sweep and mop. I learned a lot about the Meals on Wheels organization and the increasing need for prepared meals for the elderly and disabled community. My executive director was great and she never hesitated to find extra work for me. They made me feel like a valuable team member and I really felt like I have made a difference. The hardest part was waking up at 7 AM, but as soon as I got there I was excited to work. The most enjoyable part was conversing with the other volunteers and helping them pack food.
Pros
Helpful volunteers, free snacks
Cons
Only a volunteer position
A community job that helps the eldery during their times of needs
Congregate Meal Center Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East Dublin, GAFebruary 2, 2016
The aging population is escalating rapidly and so is the need for volunteers. That's why we've launched the Meals on Wheels Online Volunteer Drive, supported by Subaru, to connect local Meals on Wheels programs with caring individuals like you who can help the seniors in your own community.
Very productive and fun place to meet people
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Arlington, MASeptember 26, 2012
I would arrive at about 11:00am and shoot the breeze with my fellow workers and talk with the manager about any changes in my route.I would then pack the boxes and bags of food in my car and head out on my route.With a few changes in the clientele over the years,I had the same customers day in and day out and got to know them pretty well,mostly on a first name basis.I would chat with most of them and some were not as talkative as the others but were always friendly none the less.After I dropped off the food to the last person I would head back to base and have lunch with other drivers.
Pros
met new friends, had free lunch and had good hours
Cons
would have liked better benefits(healthcare, dental, etc.)
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 25, 2016
The West View kitchen where I volunteer is wonderful. The only paid employee is the chef, the other men and women who help to ensure our approximately 60 clients get a delicious and nutritious meal are all volunteers. It is a great and fun place to be as well as a good place to help in my mission to be of service to others.
Pros
the volunteers, helping others, good place to network
Cons
Good place for volunteer work.
Delivery Man (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed it and would most certainly recommend it. It is is very flexible and can be done on your lunch hour which makes this kind of volunteer work super convenient
Busy workplace
COO (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMay 4, 2015
This is like a family environment business with the mission to serve seniors in Contra Costa County.
I learned to never give up and to do whatever it takes to find resources to the most venerable population, "our seniors."
When we couldn't find the help needed for a needed senior that was the hardest part of the job, we always tried though. The most enjoyable part of the job being able to serve thousands of seniors, seeing their smiles and knowing their stories.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, benefits
A fast pace,family sitting,team working atmosphere.
Assist Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAApril 26, 2012
My day starts by checking the phone messages to see if we had any employees called in are coming in late,
. Heating up the ovens and steam tables, filling it with water. Commuicating with the head manager and director about supply orders and menus for the following week,
I learn something every day to improve my work ethics and time and things not to do also,
My coworkers were great people,working hard together to get the jobs done. We also had some great voluteers working with too
I believe that are management team worked well and complimented each other.
The hardest part of this job was stopping what I was doing to go home because I wanted everything to be easier for the next shift
so I'm always trying to make sure that all is in order before leaving

The most enjoyable part of this job is making sure the seniors are
getting the best meals and service possible from the food to the delivery's.
Pros
feeding the elderly, handycap the best meals, i can provide for them
Cons
long unexpected hours, the unexspected emergency's
Productive work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMMay 6, 2015
I just delivered homemade meals to the elderly on a daily basis. I interacted with the people on my route which made it more enjoyable to work for the City of Clovis. The job was some what stressful because we had some co-workers that made it hard to work with. The job was only part-time so there were no benefits. The hardest part was leaving my route because the City no longer funded the program.
Pros
The people you come in contact with
Cons
No healthcare benefits
Wonderful fulfilling volunteer group
Weekly driver and volunteer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 17, 2016
It is a truly a joy to volunteer with such a dedicated group of workers who strive to make a difference in the loves of those in their community.
It is an ok place to work.
Assistant Cook (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INFebruary 2, 2016
I have learn many things and I am glad to have learned. I enjoy the people I work with, and working as a team. We feed the elderly and shut in. No more to tell.
Pros
Paid holidays and weeks off
Cons
Short handed at times
Motivational and productive spacious company
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 20, 2015
Learned how productive this company was in delivering meals to those in need. This company is non-profit organization. As I worked there I learned to file names and address, organize food, recognize health benefits, and even had to personally deliver meals to senior citizens ages 60 and above and those with health benefits.
Meals on wheels provides a homebound person with a nutritious hot ,noontime meal with a friendly deliverer.
Food Server (Former Employee) –  East Dublin, GAJune 14, 2015
Drivers provide a wellness check each visit. If a client doesn't open door an emergency contact is provided to check on client because in many factors a drivers quick response may result in saving a clients life. HOT Meals are served Monday thru Friday at 12pm noon. Clients have two types of meals to choose from, one is the more healthy meal which is low in sodium ,fat and cholesterol. Option two is considered the more deluxe meal. These meals are considered restaurant meals which are usually available 7 days out of the week two can be delivered on Saturday. This program is amazing . We usually are the number one choice for the younger community to choose to volunteer with.
Pros
free food, pleasant people, great clients
Cons
one 10 minute break
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 22, 2013
We stable 4 coupon papers together and but on side to see each of us get paid
What lean that matter what problem is think positive
The management always help and respect you who are
co-workers always work together and get done together
The hardest thing about the job is keep up
The most enjoyable about this job that we all get along and we can make work fun
Pros
Work together
Cons
seating period long time
Feel good about what you do.
Senior Resource Connection (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 27, 2012
I think that one of the largest problems today is that people are unhappy at work, Senior Resource Connection allowed me to learn what serving the community really means. At SRC I saw first hand the teamwork it takes to ensure hot meals to thousands of people in need. No other job did I receive so many "thank you's" every day.
Pros
working for a company that cares.
Cons
low pay, no benifits.
Providing a helping hand.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Working for Meals in Wheels was a great experience because i was able to gain administrative skills and at the same time help the less fortunate.Management could be better when it comes to organization but aside fro that it was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
Great staff morale and unity within the employees.
Cons
The organization could be a bit more organized.
Very interesting and friendly people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glenwood, MNOctober 3, 2015
Doing Meals on Wheels every summer with my grandparents when I stay with them gives me a chance to meet some new people and talk to the regulars. The people we serve are friendly and love to talk if they get the chance. The hardest part of the job is getting the meals to the customers on time, because lunch is their only meal for the day. The most enjoyable is seeing everyone getting their meals.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No cons
Great staff
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Placentia, CADecember 15, 2015
Volunteer work, delivering meals to disabled, ill, elderly clients. Help with clients daily needs. I lover the feeling of giving back .
Pros
MEET ALOT OF NEAT AND INTERESTING PEOPLE
Cons
NONE, VOLUNTEER WORK DOESN'T PAY THE BILLS, BUT IS REWARDING
Meals on Wheels
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 23, 2014
I volunteerd at Meals on Wheels for my required externship at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary College. I was not paid and was well aware of this fact before I began. I enjoyed helping others in need and would have loved to become a permanent employee but their funds were limited.
Pros
Helping others and doing what I love which is cooking.
Cons
Not receiving compensation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meals on Wheels. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4