Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

The kitchen was spacious
Cashier, Cashiers (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCNovember 29, 2016
Learned how to make bigger quantities of meals for the sick and shut-in. Learned different shortcuts on making a big amount of food.
Meal on Wheels
Delivery Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 26, 2016
The hardest part of my job was not being able to distribute more food faster. The most enjoyable part was seeing smiling faces after helping people who needed it.
Pros
Helping others
People
Meals on Wheels volunteer (Former Employee) –  Yarnell, AZNovember 21, 2016
Delivering 15-20 meals in a rural area. Learned about the people I served. Great management. Friendly. When one of my people passed away. Smiles!
Pros
Knowing you are providing a very essential service to shut ins.
Cons
People passing away on my route.
Great Place to work for
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYNovember 19, 2016
Great hours, great benefits. Over all, just a great company to work for. I would still be working there myself but I suffered a broken collar bone and it was taking a long time to heal.
Pros
Free food on both of your breaks
Cons
One or a few people there like to stir the pot.
Great personal service with great personal rewards.
Meals on Wheels Courier (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 10, 2016
I have never worked at a place that is so rewarding as Meals on Wheels. Not only for the actual deliveries that I and many others do as well, but for the way the non-profit is ran and how they take care of their employees.
Good temporary job
Senior Meals (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 27, 2016
It was a temp job i worked at great place loved working there. The people are extremely friendly and itsagood place to get experience in a kitchen type environment.
na
Driver/ Route Maker (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTOctober 19, 2016
No comment about the company.I wish I wouldnt have taken the job, The Manger was very mean and untruthful, and everyone that worked there had to come in early without pay.
Pros
independent feeling as you worked I enjoy that
Cons
Managements lack of communication as far as dutys are concerned
Great Place
Facilities/IT Support (Current Employee) –  Haltom City, TXOctober 4, 2016
Meals on Wheels is a great place to gain experience not only in IT but also how IT merges with the daily operation of things. A typical day consists of checking in around the building to make sure everyone is up and running. Then checking emails to see if there are any alerts on the systems. From there you handle the day to day issue that pop up or work on procedures. The people are great and the boss is even better.
great work enviroment, love the employer and customers
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  spokane, w.aSeptember 23, 2016
clean storage room, filing, help prepare meals and send them out, doing activities with the customers. making sure the office was clean and organized, as well as entering data into the computer system.
Pros
the work was fun enjoyed helping others and providing them with a great customer service experience.
Cons
compensation, work hours
A fun place to work at and enjoyable.
Delivery/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CASeptember 13, 2016
Working at Meals on Wheels was hard work. not only did I delivery food to the elderly but I washed dishes, very large pots and swept the floors moped the floors and took inventory. We also had to wash the vans we drove. I did learn a lot from the elderly that I delivered to they have so much knowledge and is willing to tell you. I also learned a lot about ordering inventory. as far as management is concerned there was not much room for advancement in those days. my co-workers were good people most of them willing to help out when possible. One hard part of this job is being on time for delivery and return to Meals on Wheels. delivering to the elderly was most enjoyable to me and It was good for me as a person to be able do a job that was needed by the community.
Pros
Excellent food for lunch
Cons
Sometimes we weren't offered free lunch.
Great company to help the community.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 9, 2016
I enjoyed teaming up with the Meals on Wheels company and assisting the community of Staten Island. The company has taught me to be vigilant on home safety needs and geriatric concerns.
Meals on Wheels
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHSeptember 3, 2016
This was the best job I ever had, I regret leaving it. The other employees are a joy to work with. The different characters you meet, makes you step back and exam yourself, you are forced to become better, because hurting someone's feeling is not an option. You take on a job at Meals on Wheels, with the passion and desire to help people, and if given the opportunity to work with them, take it.
Pros
Everything I just mentioned
Cons
Fun environment with great people.
Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, NEAugust 30, 2016
Overall enjoyed this job. Great people to work with and was very rewarding. Worked with me on my hours and good pay.
Couldn't go to work and school at the same time which caused me to quit the job.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Not career material
Very personally fulfilling job.
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Spanish Fork, UTAugust 16, 2016
Volunteering for the Meals on Wheels program was a wonderful experience. Knowing that you are able to contribute to helping the aging community in some way is a very gratifying experience.
Pros
Being able to help and build friendships
Cons
None!
Unproductive and imbalanced place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAAugust 4, 2016
No clear Leadership or Executive decision making.
No Employee morale.
Hourly Rate of pay too low for work required.
No cohesion within the departmental staff.
Lack of diversity within administrative positions.
I feel useful there
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLJuly 10, 2016
I spend 4+1/2 hours volunteering with seniors. (I'm almost a senior MYSELF!). I learned that I have to be nice to the other volunteers because I could be in their shoes, also.
Pros
I like the in-house diners
Cons
I wish I got paid (I'm just a volunteer)
good resource of experince
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIJune 24, 2016
Meals on wheels is a good source of experience, due to being able to help the elderly in the process of delivering food, this give me a chance to get out in the community to be involved in. it also gives me human interaction and prepares me for an actual job
Pros
meetng new people
Cons
long days riding in a van
stocking warehouse
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 13, 2016
responsible for intake within warehouse, moving pallets, and loading trucks. delivered food to the less fortunate, elderly, and under priveleged
Very rewarding.
Food Delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
Deliver much needed healthy meals to senior citizens along with a beautiful smile and conversation, because many live alone and stay home all day. The food would consist of around 40 hot and cold meals, needed to be delivered to customers whose addresses ranged from 116th-14 street in Manhattan. The co-workers were lovely, we were a big family. The most challenging part of the job was the physical strength required to deliver the meals, but it was all worth it once I saw the smile on the client's faces.
Great people to wortk with and very supportive to those of of us that deliver meals to MOW clients.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 25, 2016
The people who prepare the meals and those that assemble the meals (hot meals, bread, dessert) to distribute them to those of us that deliver the meals to MOW clients are a great bunch of people. The exhibit a true concern for the clients who receive their meals through Meals on Wheels. It is very difficult when you deliver meals to clients that live in dire situations.

Meals on Wheels is very conscious of the need to maintain privacy for their clients and require the distribution sheets be shredded after all meals have been delivered for the day.

I am glad that I can be service to our community by delivering meals to those that are unable to prepare food for themselves. The clients often tell us how very much they appreciate of our efforts.