Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Dedicated workers and a positive atmosphere
Volunteer Packer (Former Employee) –  Millersville, PAJune 16, 2014
I loved each and every one of the volunteers and workers at the Millersville Area MOW! They were helpful and I really felt like part of the team. A typical morning consisted of preparing a hot and cold meals and packing them for departure. After the regular volunteers left, I stayed after to sweep and mop. I learned a lot about the Meals on Wheels organization and the increasing need for prepared meals for the elderly and disabled community. My executive director was great and she never hesitated to find extra work for me. They made me feel like a valuable team member and I really felt like I have made a difference. The hardest part was waking up at 7 AM, but as soon as I got there I was excited to work. The most enjoyable part was conversing with the other volunteers and helping them pack food.
Pros
helpful volunteers, free snacks
Cons
only a volunteer position
Non profit agency striving to meet nutritional needs in community
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 15, 2014
Interviewing potential and active recipients of meals including needs, living situations and financial qualifications. Worked under direction of the board of directors in balancing a budget needed to provide services, The hardest part of this job was requesting qualifying clients to contribute to the cost of the meals. The other side was when individuals who most benefited were served.
Pros
flexiblity in schedule and of course community service
Cons
disqualifying meal recipients
Hostile work environment with no promise of advancement.
Food prep and other various tasks. (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTMay 13, 2014
Overall, working here was mediocre. I worked here for a few years going above and beyond, but they did nothing to entice me to stay. The job held no challenge, or promise of advancement or raise. Also the environment was both hostile and unproductive. The supervisors cared more about being friends with certain employees than about a productive kitchen.
In the beginning working there was fun, but the constant joking loses its charm when you want to work and get your job done. In the end the lack of attentive supervisors and lack luster workers as well as a painfully hostile work environment, led to me leaving and searching for a job where the work is taken seriously with light humor.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
read review
Learning environment
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 1, 2014
I enjoy helping people so a typical day at Meals on Wheels is one filled with opportunites to serve, encourage and educate people. I supervised enthusiastic volunteers that would do whatever takes to ensure great customer service for our clients. I learned how to be more flexible and resourceful when it comes to the Senior population. The hardest part of this job was not being able to help everyone, there are policies, procedures and rules that I had to follow which made it hard to really help and be a good resource for a senior in need. What I loved the most is the interaction with the clients and volunteers, the volunteers shared my love for helping and serving in the community and that made my job easier and fulfilling. The clients had alot to share and it was humbling to serve someone that fought in WWI and WWII as well as those that played a part in America's history. The entire company worked as a team to make such a wonderful program run like clockwork.
Pros
the learning opportunities offered by new hanover county.
Great working environment
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Seabrook, NHApril 25, 2014
A great place to work with people who care. Always meeting new people.
Productive and fun
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2014
I would cook meals for the Seniors an have volunteers come deliver the meals to the Senior homes.
Meals on Wheels
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 23, 2014
I volunteerd at Meals on Wheels for my required externship at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary College. I was not paid and was well aware of this fact before I began. I enjoyed helping others in need and would have loved to become a permanent employee but their funds were limited.
Pros
helping others and doing what i love which is cooking.
Cons
not receiving compensation.
Excellent workplace
Resident Driver (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 23, 2014
Meals on wheels gave me the opportunity to do what I do best as far as interaction with seniors and helping with task they so desperately needed
Fun
Delivering for the Needy (Former Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYApril 22, 2014
I loved working with these people they were great, everyday I would meet someone new. It was good meeting all different people from all walks of life and conversating with them.
Pros
great job
Fun work study position
Work Study Employee (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 10, 2014
The staff and volunteers at Meals on Wheels are enjoyable to work with, and providing meals to homebound individuals in Ann Arbor is incredibly rewarding.
Fun workplace and amazing experience helping others
Cook/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAMarch 22, 2014
The days were always fun. Cooking and cleaning were not the most fun of the day however. The most fun times were spent delivering the meals to the elderly and getting to engage in great conversation with each person.
Pros
freemeals
It was nice to give back
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Show low azMarch 16, 2014
Cooking at the senior citizens center was a nice place to work The management was nice my co-worker was enjoyable to work with
Pros
easy job
Cons
no money
Great organization
Video Journalist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 27, 2014
This non profit does some great things for the less fortunate and disabled. I loved spreading awareness of their hard work to the community and trying to get other involved to make a difference in someone's life.
Pros
good deed
Cons
internship
Providing a helping hand.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Working for Meals in Wheels was a great experience because i was able to gain administrative skills and at the same time help the less fortunate.Management could be better when it comes to organization but aside fro that it was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
great staff morale and unity within the employees.
Cons
the organization could be a bit more organized.
Excellent company to work for and the rewards was endless!
Community Resource Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDFebruary 22, 2014
I would not change anything about working for Meals on Wheels.
FUN TALKING WITH MY OLD FRIENDS
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2014
IT WAS REALLY NICE WORKED FOR THEM.
IN A TYPICAL DAY I USED TO DELIVER FOOD FOR ELDERLY PEOPLE EVERY DAY. IT WAS REALLY NICE TO KNOW THAT THEY WERE HAVING THEIR MEALS ON TIME. I FEEL HAPPY WHENEVER THEY STARTED TO SMILE WHEN THEY SAW ME AT THEIR DOOR. IN MY TIME WORKING THERE I LEARNED HOW TO BE PATIENT AND HOW TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE.
Pros
making others happy
Rewarding job
Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCJanuary 26, 2014
Easy job, but man the rewards make it wonderful! You meet and interact with so many sweet seniors and make older, wiser friends!
rewarding part time or temp job
Relief Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 20, 2014
4-5 hour days
great coworkers
rewarding
fun
meet a lot of interesting people
Pros
feel good helping others
Cons
only temporary
A wonderful organization that helps many in need.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 5, 2013
Meals on Wheels is one of the best non-profit organizations to work for. They help an endless amount of people who rely upon them and their volunteers. A typical day consists of obtaining your route and list of clients for the run, picking up the hot and cold meals at your designated hospital cafeteria, and then delivering the meals to each individuals place of residence to drop off and engage in friendly conversation for a few minutes. I usually worked alone, but the hospital staff was always friendly and my supervisor was always accommodating with my shift schedule. The hardest part of the job was not being able to stay longer to chat with the people you delivered meals to. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know these individuals and seeing how much of a difference you were making in their lives by simply interacting and caring about them.
Pros
helping the community
Cons
gas/mileage on your vehicle
Rewarding
Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 16, 2013
My children and I liked the mid week brake, and we had the joy of serving the elderly.

4.4