Meals on Wheels Employee Reviews

Rewarding job
Social Worker/ Case Manager for Homebound Seniors (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2014
Excellent, reliable delivery of meals to clients.
Excellent and caring staff
Home visits and assessment of clients need and eligibility for program
Making phone call to family members, MD's, and other service providers as needed.
Making phone calls to schedule appointments for home visits.
Going into dirty, bug infested, cluttered homes in bad neighborhoods in San francisco,
Allowing clients to maintain independence in home and not be placed in outside facility
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Dealing with clients with multiple needs, chronic medical problems, and chronic mental health problems, chronic substance abuse issues, finding parking, entering dirty, bug infested, cluttered homes.
learn how to become a medical assistant
Food Server/Prep (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 23, 2014
I enjoyed the classes front/back office. I learned high to take vitals and administer medications.
Pros
get a better job
Cons
no longer attending school.
Working with the elderly and playing games
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Luling, TXOctober 13, 2014
Being able to go everyday or even once a week just to see the elderly gather around just to talk and to play games.
Pros
eating lunch with the elderly and playing games with them.
Cons
not enough hours in the day.
Transportaion delivery job
DELIVERY DRIVER/MEAL SITE ASSISTANCE (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 4, 2014
Nice People; Good Service Program; Wish it could have been more often
A great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 7, 2014
Meals on Wheels is a wonderful place to volunteer to help those seniors who cannot provide for themselves. I was able to work with other amazing volunteers and staff, as well as meet some of the seniors.
hungry and funny senior citizens
Server (Former Employee) –  Kincaid, ILAugust 27, 2014
Serving and delivering meals to my seniors around the surrounding area.
Pros
Free lunch. New friends
Cons
no benefits
a feeling of self worth and comfortable place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2014
It was fun and I was proud to part of a team that loved our job. It was easy to get along because sometimes we each run into a problem that requires a helping hand..
Pros
relaxing atmosphere and doing something rewarding
Cons
not enough hours
Worthwhile mission
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Sparkill, NYJuly 10, 2014
Pick up seniors and transport to center
Assist at Senior Center
Pros
Feel good job, caring environment, free lunch
Cons
poor pay
Helping people who can not help themselves is the right thing to do.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CaJuly 9, 2014
Delivered three hot meals to the elderly and disabled.Very clean kitchen and friendly people who really take pride in their work.
Pros
Doing the right thing
Cons
none at all
Very helpful, positive vibe, great feeling and something I would do again
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 27, 2014
It was a volunteering/community service experience and it was a great feeling helping and feeding others. Making sure they don't have a empty stomach.
Pros
Helping out patrons and serving them great food.
Cons
No cons.
fun job with friendly benefits
Driver (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJune 25, 2014
enjoyable because I know I am making a difficult day for others happy
Kitchen Director
Rainbow Senior Center (Former Employee) –  Boerne, TXJune 24, 2014
I thought this job was wonderful. We cooked for the senior citizens and provided someone for them to talk to. The Rainbow Senior Center was a great place to work with.
Dedicated workers and a positive atmosphere
Volunteer Packer (Former Employee) –  Millersville, PAJune 16, 2014
I loved each and every one of the volunteers and workers at the Millersville Area MOW! They were helpful and I really felt like part of the team. A typical morning consisted of preparing a hot and cold meals and packing them for departure. After the regular volunteers left, I stayed after to sweep and mop. I learned a lot about the Meals on Wheels organization and the increasing need for prepared meals for the elderly and disabled community. My executive director was great and she never hesitated to find extra work for me. They made me feel like a valuable team member and I really felt like I have made a difference. The hardest part was waking up at 7 AM, but as soon as I got there I was excited to work. The most enjoyable part was conversing with the other volunteers and helping them pack food.
Pros
Helpful volunteers, free snacks
Cons
Only a volunteer position
Non profit agency striving to meet nutritional needs in community
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMay 15, 2014
Interviewing potential and active recipients of meals including needs, living situations and financial qualifications. Worked under direction of the board of directors in balancing a budget needed to provide services, The hardest part of this job was requesting qualifying clients to contribute to the cost of the meals. The other side was when individuals who most benefited were served.
Pros
Flexiblity in schedule and of course community service
Cons
Disqualifying meal recipients
Hostile work environment with no promise of advancement.
Food prep and other various tasks. (Former Employee) –  Rutland, VTMay 13, 2014
Overall, working here was mediocre. I worked here for a few years going above and beyond, but they did nothing to entice me to stay. The job held no challenge, or promise of advancement or raise. Also the environment was both hostile and unproductive. The supervisors cared more about being friends with certain employees than about a productive kitchen.
In the beginning working there was fun, but the constant joking loses its charm when you want to work and get your job done. In the end the lack of attentive supervisors and lack luster workers as well as a painfully hostile work environment, led to me leaving and searching for a job where the work is taken seriously with light humor.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Read Review
Learning environment
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 1, 2014
I enjoy helping people so a typical day at Meals on Wheels is one filled with opportunites to serve, encourage and educate people. I supervised enthusiastic volunteers that would do whatever takes to ensure great customer service for our clients. I learned how to be more flexible and resourceful when it comes to the Senior population. The hardest part of this job was not being able to help everyone, there are policies, procedures and rules that I had to follow which made it hard to really help and be a good resource for a senior in need. What I loved the most is the interaction with the clients and volunteers, the volunteers shared my love for helping and serving in the community and that made my job easier and fulfilling. The clients had alot to share and it was humbling to serve someone that fought in WWI and WWII as well as those that played a part in America's history. The entire company worked as a team to make such a wonderful program run like clockwork.
Pros
The learning opportunities offered by New Hanover County.
Great working environment
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Seabrook, NHApril 25, 2014
A great place to work with people who care. Always meeting new people.
Productive and fun
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2014
I would cook meals for the Seniors an have volunteers come deliver the meals to the Senior homes.
Meals on Wheels
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLApril 23, 2014
I volunteerd at Meals on Wheels for my required externship at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary College. I was not paid and was well aware of this fact before I began. I enjoyed helping others in need and would have loved to become a permanent employee but their funds were limited.
Pros
Helping others and doing what I love which is cooking.
Cons
Not receiving compensation.
Excellent workplace
Resident Driver (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 23, 2014
Meals on wheels gave me the opportunity to do what I do best as far as interaction with seniors and helping with task they so desperately needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meals on Wheels. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4