Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels Employer Reviews

if you like to travel
Driver/office receptionist (Former Employee), Clarksdale, MSMay 1, 2012
good company got to meet different people. people were ok but worked at your own pace.
a very fun work place
Server (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 29, 2012
Pros: easy work place
Cons: short breaks
I love working here its fun i love to help others and see them happy , i like to do for the homeless i enjoy cooking the food and serving them .
A fast pace,family sitting,team working atmosphere.
Assist Site Manager (Former Employee), Hesperia, CAApril 26, 2012
Pros: feeding the elderly, handycap the best meals, i can provide for them
Cons: long unexpected hours, the unexspected emergency's
My day starts by checking the phone messages to see if we had any employees called in are coming in late,
. Heating up the ovens and steam tables, filling it with water. Commuicating with the head manager and director about supply orders and menus for the following week,
I learn something every day to improve my work ethics and time and things not to – more... do also,
My coworkers were great people,working hard together to get the jobs done. We also had some great voluteers working with too
I believe that are management team worked well and complimented each other.
The hardest part of this job was stopping what I was doing to go home because I wanted everything to be easier for the next shift
so I'm always trying to make sure that all is in order before leaving

The most enjoyable part of this job is making sure the seniors are
getting the best meals and service possible from the food to the delivery's. – less
Fun to work there
Food Prep (Former Employee), Reading, PAApril 18, 2012
Pros: good work environment
Cons: just short hours
The other workers were easy to get along with. The manager was nice and freindly.
Independent Worker
Van Driver (Former Employee), 515 Haven StreetMarch 1, 2012
Flexible hours, great working environment, team-building. Must be willing to work in all weather conditions.
Rewarding
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Inglewood, CaliforniaJanuary 3, 2012
Pros: free lunch and a warm feeling in your heart.
Cons: but, sometimes your heart breaks.
Wonderful job if you love Seniors. A great chance to make a difference in the lives of older adults who are homebound and are in need of these essential services.
Honest,fun,and love working with the nice elderly people.
Helper/Server (Former Employee), Fresno,CADecember 7, 2011
Pros: free lunch, voulnteer work
Cons: summer job not full time
It was a great work experince for me. It wasnt a regular job it was volunteer work. I got to work one on one with the elderly people i served them lunch,played games with them an had great conversations with them. I loved working there for the summer i got along with everyone an everyday i came to work they were always to happy to see me.
Enjoyable
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee), PICTON, N.S.W.October 12, 2014
Pick up meals from Picton "Meals on Wheels" and deliver to elderly customers.
Its an enjoyable morning knowing I am helping out the community. The elderly are happy to see me and its generally positive to see them.
The management at Picton are all very reliable. They have introduced me to several days of learning, to do with relating to the customers, – more... and safe working procedures. – less
Very rewarding to make them smile it makes me full.
Client Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Whyalla Stuart, SAOctober 5, 2014
Pros: work in my time
Cons: volutary work
A typical day at work is meeting very interesting people, I learn so much from the people I meet they tell me about growing up in the town. The co worker I have is excellent she make life very easy for me which is great we work so well together. The hardest part is when we lose someone. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting the people I like – more... it very much. – less
Great Company
Cook (Current Employee), MaroochydoreMay 4, 2014
I learnt a lot about logistics. I would return if an opportunity present itself.
A fun and great environment!
Client Coordinator (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 11, 2014
I learned so much at this job. My coworkers are awesome, very helpful and always with a positive attitude. The clients are also great, very grateful with our volunteers and always happy to get their meals everyday.
Great working with the volunteers
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee), MitcheltonFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: diversity of staff
Cons: outdated committee with no new ideas
My day starts at 05.30. Switch everything on in the kitchen and put pots on stove for soup. Take desserts ,prepared previous day. out of cold room for volunteers to pack.
07.30 is morning tea. Then pack the main meals, make soup. After that prepare dessert and mains for following day. 10.10 switch on oven for hot meals. 10.30 pack the hot meals in cases – more... followed by desserts. Pack frozen meals and prepare for next day.
11.00 tea break. 11.10 do all paperwork and clean kitchen.
12.30 finish.
Volunteers are great people to work with, everyday different workers.
The hardest part is all the different dietary requirements.
The most enjoyable part is knowing that 120 elderly people are being provided with a three course meal. – less
A Canadian Icon Agency for Community Health Care
Member of Board for Private Recipes (Former Employee), Warden Woods Community Centre, Scarborough, ONNovember 6, 2013
Having various positions over the years afforded very different day to day experiences. In general, would respond to any queries re. challenges/problems/scheduling/difficult clients and families(caregivers)/challenges with volunteers and planned/organized calendar to meet these issues while sustaining the regular demands of the day - appointments already – more... booked, assessments, meals on wheels operations for day. Everything was fast paced. Many of above resolutions happened very quickly. Also, completed functions for stakeholders with reports, forecasts for delivery of services. Spent time training new volunteers and placed in appropriate programs. Followed up with billing issues with phone calls, verbal contact and letter documentation. Participated in staff meetings usually 2 per week and prepared reports as required.

Learned that professional co-workers want to be valued and appreciated as employees. With incredible stresses in an organization facing many changes with restructuring, this caused huge uncertainty for many, much speculation re. positions/employment and some co-workers "lashed" out at others. I learned that all employees want to be recognized and valued and often are not. I also learned that I needed to separate myself from some situations, in order for me to perform to my maximum and to always encourage my co-workers and management with positive words that I meant. I also learned my opinions mattered and shared constructively with stakeholders.

Sometimes I found the political instability the most difficult. Office gossip and talk added to the instability and I tried to separate myself from this in simple ways, like taking my lunch in later shift to avoid individuals who could not "break" from the job or environment. Difficult working in an environment in which management did not agree and this translated into an unstable team and teamwork. This was a growing concern and issue.

The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfaction from knowing my efforts translated into helping many clients and families with daily issues. My smile, I was continually told, was very warm, kind and several co-workers stated I was the kindest always asking concerning questions about them, they expressed appreciation for this. – less
productive and a great friendly work place
kitchen hand (Former Employee), Caboolture, QLDOctober 24, 2013
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: i dont get paid for the work i do
my daily responsibilities included preparing of food and organizing of selected runs for food transport, the hardest part of the day was making sure that there was enough to go around and to make sure everyone was pleased and had received the correct order. I enjoy everyday as I am helping people in need of support with basic living and healthy eating. – more... every day is a new day and I learn new things within the company everyday. – less
Excellent experience
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Buckley, WLSJune 12, 2013
Pros: job satisfaction
Cons: change of management
Loved the fact that a quick chat and friendly face made such a difference to the customers, many would not see another person until the next day/meal was delivered. Hardest part of this job was finishing.
Love doing the deliveries and meeting the elderly
Delivery person (Current Employee), Grafton NSW 2460June 2, 2013
Pros: meeting new people on a daily basis
Love to see and talk to the elderly. I class them as my extended family and have got to know a lot of them and class them as my friends. I enjoy their company as much as I believe they enjoy mine when I visit. There is nothing hard about this job. The looks on their faces when you deliver to them is priceless.
Volunteer work
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), Taber, ABMarch 5, 2013
I pick up meals in my vehicle. When i pick up the meals I am given a list of addresses to take the meals to. I then deliver the meals to the addresses given and then return the empty coolers to the lodge i picked them up from and sign the paper that was given me.
Exciting place to work and meet new people
Volunteer (Current Employee), Winnipeg ManitobaFebruary 20, 2013
- pick up meals from health science center or grace hospital for delivery.
- drive to each client on our list to deliver appropriate meals
- return cooler or extra meals back to hospital.
- learned how to read map to get from client to client
- learned how to work with driver and coordinate how and who will deliver the meals.
- learn how to troubleshoot – more... when problems arise. (example what to do when a client does not answer door to pick up their meals) – less
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), North York, OnSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: meeting all kind of people
Cons: one year contract only
This is a great workplace where you meet volunteers and clients with a heart of gold. I learned to be a whole new person in a way of being gentle and kind. My boss was a great leader, and was willing to make the environment welcoming and warm. My co-workers were mostly volunteers who were willing to teach my new things and gave great advise. The harderst – more... part of the job was being attached to the clients and not having enough time to spend with them. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in the office and out on the road. – less
Excellent Experience.
Kitchenhand (Former Employee), SAAugust 9, 2012
Pros: meeting and working with people, being able to express our motivation to suceed.
Cons: no cons.
Getting up everyday at 5:00am was different to a normal day, but we were motivated to get to our job and start straight away and that's exactly what we did. Getting ourselves prepared, and busy making and preparing food was busy but working together is what made it work.

Everyone that was working there were elderly volunteers. Meeting them all was – more... a cheerful experience because they were such a bubbly and happy bunch of people that made you feel the most welcome.

The hardest part of the job was the long hours, yet the benefit that I perceived out of it is what made it all worth it. Meeting so many new people and supplying their everyday needs was such an incredible experience, something that i would like to fortake that experience and persuit it into a career. – less