Medco Health Solutions Employee Reviews

Typical 8-5 work place.
Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 21, 2015
I'm not going to say it's the best job I've had, but it's definitely not the worst. I had my own spacious cubicle that I could decorate, and my co-workers were awesome. My manager wanted the best for his department and I loved that he was passionate about seeing his employees grow under his supervision and guidance. I've never had a manager who cared so much for their employees, it was refreshing. The pay is above average. The work is very repetitive, and mindless...so it gets old real quick and there aren't any opportunities to learn new areas. They have crazy policies in place like one, for example: If you request off without sufficient PTO to cover your shift you will get a point for it. So, in other words, you pretty much get a write up if you take time off with out enough PTO to cover your missed hours. As if losing the hours isn't bad enough, you're also getting punished for it. It doesn't seem to be the place where you'd want to move up and start a career, but if you're just looking for a job that pays above minimum wage and isn't hard; this is it. I didn't hate my job, but I didn't love it. It just paid my bills.
Pros
above average pay, weekends off.
Cons
the policies the company has are ridiculous, and the head people don't seem to really care as much as they claim to.
Retail Pharmacy Audit
Retail Pharmacy Audit Investigator (Former Employee) –  Franklin Lakes, NJApril 28, 2014
• Perform analysis of claims data at the pharmacy, physician, and patient level in order to identify and target inappropriate claiming patterns as desk audits and supplemental to field audits.
• Effectively investigate / analyze claims data to identify and target inappropriate claiming patterns.
• Prepare detailed summary reports and discuss findings with the applicable plan sponsor.
• Direct interaction with plan sponsors, members, physicians, and pharmacists.
• Utilize pharmacy knowledge to evaluate the accuracy of claims billed.
• Understand and evaluate unique drug and plan design criteria that can result in improper claims activity.
• Evaluate claims reimbursed to the pharmacy against the pharmacy's prescription records (hardcopy prescriptions, signature logs, computer information, invoices, daily logs) and determines discrepancies, if any.
• Discuss audit discrepancies with pharmacies and attorneys.
• Coordinate with Legal to respond to subpoenas / arbitrations / attorney letters.
• Participate in arbitration proceedings regarding specific audit findings and audit procedures.
• Special projects as assigned.
The training team was awesome. Very pleasant people. The Supervisors were awesome as well
Customer Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 9, 2014
Having experience in Customer Service was an advantage for me. I learned that being able to assist others has been my passion all of my life. The management team always encouraged everyone to do their best and they always reminded us that they were there for us when we needed help.

The hardest part of the job is when you feel that you can not resolve an issue to the customers satisfaction. I realize that there are company policies and procedures that we must follow and in doing so, we will not be able to resolve every situation. The most enjoyable part of the job is when another co worker reaches out to you for help and you are able to help assist them with a resolution that not only remains within the company guidelines, but when the customer is happy with our efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
Pros
team meetings, schedule small group meetings, one on one meeting with supervisors
Cons
not being able to physically meet and greet as often as we'd like to. also, shift bid can become stressful.
Medco wanted top productions numbers and quality
Support, Shipping Department, Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  North Versailles, PAApril 2, 2015
I worked four-ten hour days, Monday through Thursday, 2pm to midnight. I entered prescriptions that automatically prompted on our computer screen. I learned to work with different clients orders that the prescription(s) were not able to be shipped. I was often chosen to work on drug recall invoices, and special projects. Only because if I didn't have an answer for an issue, I would find someone who had the answer. Management was alright to work for. The hardest part of the job was sitting for ten hours. We did get two breaks and half-hour lunch. The most enjoyable part was being able to work on different invoices and problem issues.
Pros
The awards and special recognition we received for a job well done
Cons
Management sometimes played favorites
Competitive and productive workplace
Therapeutic Resource Center Exec Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willingboro, NJJuly 9, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of delegating work and multi tasking between projects and administrative duties. Working for this company was a learning experience especially in regards to learning how to navigate a lot of different software programs. I was able to work in a majority of the departments within the building which enabled me to gain a lot of work experience. Management was pretty good and co-workers were very professional. Hardest part of the job was learning to adapt to the constant changes from changes in management to its acquisition by another company. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a good team of people.
Pros
location
Cons
bought out by another company which resulted in massive layoffs
World-class company going through merger integration
Staff pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 8, 2013
My day involved duties of a staff pharmacist with responsibilities dedicated to Drug Utilization Review (DUR). In this capacity, reviewed patient profile for drug interactions, adherence, dosing regimen, food-drug interaction, and drug-disease state interactions. When problem identified, was involved in interaction with doctors, patients, and patient's care-giver to resolve any potential problem in patient's therapy which may arise. Medco very proactive with training and CE offerings. Management vigilant, but let us do our jobs as pharmacists. Overall, a good environment to work.
Pros
numerous ce offerings=quarterly bonus= fair marketplace benefits
Cons
sold to express scripts-- professional environment turned into a business
hard job
Sales and New Account Development (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 29, 2013
you need to be a certain person to be able to effectivley work this job and if you are you can reap the benefits. You need to be able to stay on task and be efficient as possible to be this person. Patience is the key because you are going to be dealing with a lot of angry people all day. That is not to say you deal only with these type of people but I would say a majority of people are not happy to speak with you. They tell you there is room for advancement but in the four years I have worked here I have seen exactly two people get promotions and they only promotion they offer is to the dept manager. Apparently there is no other better sales job in the company besides this one.
Pros
good pay if deserved
Cons
can be a roller coaster pay might make 7k one month and 1k the next
Fast Paced, constant learning, constantly proving one's self due to lack of Management Support
Benefit Fulfillment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montvale, NJOctober 28, 2014
Medco Health Solutions was a place where I learned and experienced great achievement with PBM and Commercial Health Insurance. I was able to add to my skills learned during courses at National Health Career Association.
Management guides you but they do not support decisions, left employees to deal with the negative outcome. Not honest with their employees about business decisions that affect them. Medco lacked life balance due to the fast pace of the industry. Bonuses far and in between for individual contributors
Pros
ability to work from home; constant earning environment
Cons
lack of support from management, no life balance
Great boss, professional company
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 3, 2013
My position with Medco was a work at home, inbound call center environment. I received an average of 60-80 calls a day, mostly from patients requesting order status or a refill on their prescription medication. I felt that I was fairly paid for my work, and telecommuting was an ideal employment situation. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to educate callers about their coverage, and often, to save them money on their drug costs by recommending a lower cost generic or alternative medication. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the challenge of irate callers; this occurred when an order was lost or delayed, or when a certain medication was not covered by an insurance plan.
Enjoy assisting patients
E-view Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus OhioJune 26, 2013
Every day assisting patients of their medical needs. Co-pays and Credit Card information for payments. I've learned that giving the best customer care is so important. Management should also learn the daily activities of the company workers. It is so vital for them to know the skill as well as the co-workers. The hardest part of the job is when a patient has not recieved the medication. When i try to research and the previous co-worker has not documented the proper information for follow-up purposes. We as customer service reps should alway follow through with great dictation of an order. It is truely enjoyable when patients and management appriciate your work
Pros
employee appriciation day
Cons
no overtime
Fast paced and farely stressful
Executive Assistant to HRVP Field Operations (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 3, 2012
Arrive early (7:00 am) to catch up on e-mails that arrived overnight. Typical day starts with ee's calling re: LOA, salary adjustments, etc. Enter all ee's status changes; salary, promotions, demotions, job changes, manager changes, etc. Maintain personnel files, I-9 files, Executive Assistant is my strong point but I learned HR as part of my new duties. Management was fair but demanding. Co-workers were great; always willing to help. It was sometimes difficult to maintain unreasonable deadlines. Assisting ee's with HR problems and issues resulting in an acceptable solutions for all.
Pros
flexible hours; work at home
Cons
work early, stay late and lunch at desk
Great place to work till buyout
Call Center Coverage Review Representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 9, 2013
Took incoming calls from Dr.'s offices and patients calling for coverage and authorization on medications. Completed authorizations with Dr.'s offices. I learned great phone skills. Management was fantastic and easy to talk to. The hardest part of the job was medication being turned down by insurance company and giving that information to the patients. I loved helping the patients and the Dr.'s office complete, which could be a tedious and time consuming situation in a proficient and professional way.
Pros
managers did not micro manage. if you did your job they left you alone.
Cons
communication was lacking. conflicting info was prevalent
You are a number, unless you are a minority, then you are a "diverse" number.....
Prescription Benefit Specialist (Current Employee) –  columbus, ohioMarch 27, 2013
Express Scripts bought Medco and they are the cheapest, money hungry animals I have ever seen. They took or sales department and robbed us of commision, and they ask in return for HIGHER NUMBERS. People there now have to look elsewhere for work to feed thier families because of this. Tough to get fired from the place, I will say that, and about 19 days paid off the first year. Insurance is not bad, but I still have to quit after they cut my pay by 30% b/c of the commission deal.
Pros
paid time off, free coffee, clean office, very little supervision.
Cons
they are cheap and all they care about is thier shareholders, not the employees.
Clean, new building, self management, professional staff
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitestown, INJanuary 18, 2013
A typicak day at work would consist of running through a checklist for each of the 10 Network Data Rooms daily, going to meetings, Imaging replacement PC's using Symantec Ghost, & technical Support of staff. I learned about automation, and the new building in general. Management was very professional for the most part. My co-workers were very nice, but odd. Typical for a bright computer genius. The hardest part of the job was hardware issues with printers. Many printers needed replaced. The most enjoyable part of the job was self management.
Pros
self management, new facility
Cons
supervisors professional manner, outdated printers
Relative good place to work until recently. Company began moving in to many directions for employees to keep up.
HUMAN RESOURCES COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  255 Phillipi Rd, Colu,bus, OH 43228November 21, 2012
A typical day was filled with a lot of personal contact with employees, enormous amount of paperwork and dealing with supervisors, management, and third party disability administrator.
I learned that because management was not always on site, many times, work had to be set aside till phone calls could be returned. This also was one of the hardest parts of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the employees and being able to help them get their issues resolved.
Pros
loved working with the people.
Cons
way to much work for one person.
Flexible schedules, but otherwise average at best.
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  New JerseyMarch 7, 2012
This place is without formal training and without emphasis on career development. That being said, they are very flexible with work schedules.

It is difficult to improve compensation, and the raises and bonuses are worse here than at any company I have worked at. Especially one with record profitability. Furthermore, the company has no loyalty to employees and did little in the way of incentive compensation to hang around for the merger.
Pros
work life balance, work from home, and reasonable time-off policies.
Cons
weak bonuses, poor salary increases, very little career development, lack of communication between departments.
Great Company
Customer Service Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 20, 2013
I really liked working for this company. The management was great. Medco really knew how to pick and support great managers. The managers were patient and understanding and really tried to better the work environment through meetings and one on one coaching. The hardest part of the job was lack of variability. If half of my day was doing something else then I would've been a life long employee. Being a customer service pharmacist for the whole day was a bit too much. I have heard non-pharmacists with the same concern. As far as work/life balance this job could not have been better. They offer a great vacation/sick pay package.
Horrible place to work, Irving Texas location
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Irving txJune 24, 2012
I hate working there. They have a terrible supervisory staff. Management is terrible. Job monitoring requirements are stupid. Must have a pause in greeting between name an how may I help you. May I ask a few questions please. This is customer service they know we are going to ask questions. Saying there name three times during call. Summerizing what we have done. They know what we have helped them with. And resolving issues all within 386 seconds. Training is terrible. You get updates either by email or they have placards on the back of every door in the bathroom. TERRIBLE
Pros
union
Cons
money and benefits
Productive place to work.
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Columbus,OhioDecember 5, 2013
A typical day at medco for the most part was enjoyable. As an individual and as a group we had a common goal and that is 100% customer/ patient satisfaction. I have learned to work work in a team environment and alone. Both are very satisfying, Management was the best. There was not one manager I could not go to without hesitation, All very understanding. Honestly the hardest part of the job was getting up at 3 am to be there at 5am. I believe the most enjoyable part were the people i have met, and worked with over 12 years. It is like working with a family.
Pros
the management team, get togethers as a company
Cons
the wake up time in the morning
productive workplace and good location
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Irving, TxAugust 15, 2012
My typical day at work intells me coming in at my set hours and taking inbound dedicated medicare calls. While on my job I've learned about medicare ans their bylaws, how prescription benefit management works, how to take calls in large volumes for long periods of time and how insurance plans function. My co-workers are great. They are helpful, knowledgable, caring, always willing to assist and funis The hardest part of my job is when I can't help becuase of plan design or guidelines. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I've helped as many people as possible with a positive outcome.