MedExpress Employee Reviews in United States

Busy workplace, many available opportunities
Front Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVApril 28, 2016
A typical day at work is very busy, we see close to one hundred patients a day. The management like to favorite employees and provide better salaries for those she likes. I enjoy all of my coworkers and we get along great, we work together as a team and it makes the day go by faster. The hardest part of my job is having for work twelve hour shifts. The most enjoyable part is the people I get to work with.
Pros
We often get lunch provided.
Cons
Only 30 minute breaks on a 12 hour shift.
Horrible management
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton Square, NJApril 27, 2016
I worked at MedExpress for a while, in the interview before hire, I was told that it was a friendly and family environment, where staff was conscience and upbeat. Yeah right! There were just a few that fit that description, but the others were just a down right lie. Management is horrible, two faced, phony, money hungry, and HR is no better, treating employees like they are animals in a zoo. There was a bunch of favoritism going on, other employees brown nosing to get a head in the game, bullying, judgement, PAY WAS HORRIBLE, NO CULTURE, NO RESPECT, INCONSISTENCY. People whispering other's misfortunes, no ethic in a "professional" work place. Several people have asked me about opportunities at ME, and I have turned them away. Unless they like everybody in their business, being ratted on to the managers who don't really respect their employees anyway, and have to eat, sleep,, Medexpress for more than 12 hours a day. Oh, and if you were part time, you probably wouldn't be on the schedule for the week. HR is just as bad, answering your questions with questions and looking at you like you were a foreign object. Like they have seen a UFO. Everything was strictly by the book, Medexpress Blue this, MedExpress Blue that, but management came and went as they pleased, making personal calls, and even arguing with staff members. Oh don't forget the many trips to get some food because they couldn't deal with a team with no morale, so they had to get food for the soul. For the most part I had a pleasant experience and I enjoyed myself. It was great time to get headaches and realize how many  more... unprofessional people can be in one building at a time. And oh you are not a star if you're not one of the favorites.  less
Pros
Cons
EVERYTHING
Horrible company
Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  PAApril 19, 2016
Laid off due to "low volume" after 4.5 years of dedicated work. You will only be a number here, never a person. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 7, 2016
medexpress only cares about the clinical team of the company. they do not care about front office. once you have to miss a day of work, no matter how big the emergency, they will not like you.
benefits
Cons
short breaks, poor management
Great Place To Work
-12 hour shifts
-works around schedules
-verify insurances
-collect copays
Company that is there for the patient
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INApril 5, 2016
Always there for the patient, and always expanding with new centers and giving more people jobs. Also some chance for advancement
Front Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, NJApril 2, 2016
Great place to work. I have built lasting friendships. I love the flexible work schedule, just wish fulltime was 40 hours and not 36.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hourly rate
Profits over people
Physician (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 25, 2016
They're concerned about one thing only: profits. Expect to see 55 patients a day with no mid level to help. Concerned about a fellow provider providing incompetent medical care? They don't care. Patient in respiratory distress? Before you get them into an ambulance you'd better have them checked in and a copay collected or you're in trouble. They treat the front staff and clinical staff horribly. I'm embarrassed to work here.
Pros
Good salary if you're family medicine
Cons
Everything else, this place will suck your soul out and make you bitter and dead inside
Fun experienced but over worked
Medial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVMarch 22, 2016
I liked this job because it gave me diversity in skills and people. I worked a lot of hours, on call , but i was part time and no full time opportunities came my way due to new management. I was treated unfairly and my some of my co-worker were to. Its long works and was very demanding on one person to fill other peoples duties.
Pros
good hours
Cons
bad management
This company could use some improvement
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMarch 20, 2016
MedExpress is a chain of privately owned urgent cares not affiliated with any other healthcare system. The urgent care center I worked at was small but usually managed to handle dealing with seeing 20-70 patients a day. I worked there as a Radiologic Technologist but was also required to do Medical Assistant type work as well, which I didn't mind because it was nice to learn new things. My main issues with MedExpress is that it is more about there numbers and throughput times than actual patient care. Management usually would send out emails and complaints to why some days about why throughput times were slow. This often happened because only one provider was typically on duty that day is required to see, treat, and document on every patient of the day which could be about 70 or more without any help. They expect 1 doctor to see and treat every patient within a 30-45 minute time frame for 12+ hours. MedExpress also does not provide coverage for employees who are sick or unable to make it to work other reasons and expect everyone to find their own coverage through other employees in the company. I think a lot of MedExpress's issues stem from the fact that they hire managers who have no experience in healthcare or clinical environments. My managers was clueless to any of the healthcare related work we did outside her office. I am not saying that is her fault, but why hire someone who has no experience managing or working in the healthcare industry. It often made my coworkers and the Doctors butt heads with her about many of the issues that she could not understand. One last detail  more... is that this company offers poor benefits and pay for healthcare workers like RN's, RT's, and others who have worked hard for their degrees and licenses. This was my first job as a Rad Tech so I wasn't picky at first but after leaving working at other well known hospitals and urgent care centers I realized how much MedExpress scraped the bottom of the barrel. All in all this place may be good experience for someone who is first starting out in there career in healthcare but anyone with years of experience should stand clear.  less
Pros
Snacks provided, coworkers, and 3 day work week
Cons
Short or no breaks, poor management, poor benefits, and no room for advancement
Front Office Assistant
Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Weirton, WV 26062March 18, 2016
wasn't a bad place to work loved manager, but thats not the position you want to be in if you want to move up in the company. Work/life balance there isn't one you're there from 7:45am-8:15pm or later every day you work unless you're part-time or schedule is otherwise agreed upon.
Selfish Company- Money Driven only
RN (Former Employee) –  Marion, INFebruary 14, 2016
1. They do NOT care about the employees whatsoever. They will work a Nurse, Xray Tech, Doctor only with 60 plus patients per day. They are so low staffed throughout the state of Indiana that there are many days they are missing an RN or Xray Tech and the remaining staff member has to do the job of 2. They don't care. 12 hour days quickly become 13-14 hour days.
2. The center managers do NOT have medical experience and offer no help to the clinical staff whatsoever.
3. You do not get praise, instead, the focus is on what mistakes you make, which are going to happen when you are seeing 70 patients without help- must get them in/out in 45 mins or you have to explain!!!!
4. They do not care about patients, they only care about the bottom dollar.
5. No bonuses for clinical staff, no Christmas party, no Christmas gift or bonus.
6. managers get bonuses based on how much money they save. so little incentives are given to staff due to manager selfishness.
7. The turnover is outrageous at this company.
8. Emergency? Hospitalized? Car Wreck? Surgery? Mom dies? OH WELL. better get your shift covered or your get a point against attendance. Have to miss 3 days in a row? that's 3 points. (2.5 gets you written up)
9. Something came up and you need off but got a coworker to cover for you? Well, that gets you 1/2 point! Ridiculous.
10. They pay much lower than other places around. This is why the degreed staff don't stay. They can make much more ANYWHERE else.
11. Upper management does not care about employees. period. it's a business. money is objective. You are replaceable and they
  more... make it clear.
12. favoritism- if you are liked, you can do whatever you want, be as lazy as you want, break policies- it is ok. Not a favorite- you will get in trouble!
13. Visits from upper management seem all smiley and warm, but nasty emails the next day about all of your mistakes.
14. it is perfectly acceptable for your manager to treat you rudely and show no respect for you.
15. I left and got a job making $5 more per hour. easily. had my choices of jobs actually.
16. Do I approve of the CEO? who even is it? what a joke.
Pros
Scrubs provided. 3 day work week. pretty easy job at times.
Cons
No bonus they do not care about you, do not even work here, If you actually care about patients and care about your job, career, then this is NOT the place for you, If you are lazy and don't give a care, then you will fit right in
Think twice
Lead front office assistant/ Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 6, 2016
typical work day would be 3 days a week 12hr days. Might have time for a 30 minute break. Co-workers are fun to work with, a lot of turn around, been with company for 10yrs and seen people come and go.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
no room for advancement
Good work environment.
Certified Medical Assistant/Front Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, WVJanuary 31, 2016
Very busy place to work.
Co-workers worked as a team.
Hardest part of the job was the 12 hour shifts.
Most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the people.
Management was very good, center manager very experienced.
Pros
Well furnished kitchen for the employees.
Cons
Long work hours.
Love this place, tough but great!!
rn (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 22, 2016
I love this place. never should've left. best hospital in the city. I would definitely work here again. some of the best nurses in this city.
work 3 days a week, BUT its a corporate company
Registered Nurse-PRN (Former Employee) –  Lutz, FLJanuary 18, 2016
Two benefits: only three days a week work schedule and easy RN work. Major down falls are: long hours and mangers are not medical professionals, they are business people who think they know more than the doctors and nurses on how to care for patients. They do not what REAL nursing suggestions or insight, just expect you to follow the business plan. They will take every patients co pay knowing they will be sent to ER, and only care about getting patient to buy meds. They equate speed of service, and amount of patients treated as quality indicators to meet their revenue goals for the quarter and open new centers. As long as you meet these "goals" and play "office politics" your considered amazing!
Pros
Free snacks every month
Cons
must work until last patient seen
Friendly and caring atmosphere
Physician Assistant-Certified (Former Employee) –  Florida State, FLJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day at work was a load of 20 plus patients with a variety of illnesses that provided learning and advancement in both clinical skills and medical knowledge. Management team was readily available to support and provide answers to billing issues. Co-workers were friendly and energizing. The hardest part of the job was the inability to follow up with each patient as this was an acute care setting. The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility of schedules.
Punitive Area Medical Director, High employee turnover, Poor Staffing
Physician (Former Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLJanuary 11, 2016
My area Medical Director was abusive and hostile. Not only did he have poor medical skills but he had poor people skills as well. He provided no feedback and was inaccessible. The staff was great but it was in constant flux due to poor management and poor staffing. The patient volume was crazy but often I had to work without a mid level or work with a very very slow mid level. There was no insight into the connection between healthy and happy staff and excellent patient satisfaction scores. It was nearly impossible to schedule any time off because of the staffing shortage and we were prohibited from requesting time off from November 15 through first week in January. I was unable to have my 25th wedding anniversary off. NO LUNCH BREAKS EVER. This company couldn't even send cookies for Christmas. The staff was treated horribly. I don't know if this is how all of MedExpress operates but I know that this is how my MedExpress operated. I blame our horrid Area Medical Director and an out of touch corporate management that is responsible from creating a culture that condones punitive management and causes poor morale. We thought it would be better once United Health Care purchased it, but it is in fact worse.
Pros
Days off during the week, local commute, gained occupation health experience
Cons
Poor Management, High volume with poor staffing, poor quality mid levels, no lunch breaks, money is subpar
Great staff, great patients, Horrible management extending all the way to Human resources
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PADecember 9, 2015
I loved working at MedExpress until......... they sent us a center manager with very limited education and even less experience!! Absolutely NO health care experience !! She was very young, controlling and a bully. She hated if anyone had more education and knowledge than her. And because she was always so insecure, she would bully, harass and intimidate the staff she felt threatened by. The sad part was it didn't stop with the center manager. When I reached out to my human resources rep and my regional director, they ignored my calls, ignored my emails, ignored my pleas for help regarding the harassment and the bullying. In my 26 years in health care, I have never been subject to such disrespect and harassment. It still, to this day, is unfathomable that these things occurred and no one would, if nothing else, hear my side of things. Keeping a woman like this in a position of power is not only a risk, its a travesty.
My co-workers were some of the most lovely people I've had the pleasure of working with. They are kind, compassionate, smart, hard-working and willing to help anyone however they can.
Pros
Amazing co-workers who made my job fun every single day, great schedule, decent pay, Thanksgiving and Christmas off, snacks normally provided by center--- however that being said, our CM, again all about control, would somehow conveniently "forget" to by our center snacks.
Cons
short-staffed, staying sometimes until 10 pm because of being short staffed, not getting a lunch, collecting co-pays on patients the center knows we are unable to treat, blatant favoritism shown by inexperienced management
Terrible
clinic cleaning crew (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PANovember 29, 2015
The management was VERY rude and unprofessional always making complaints about things that seemed stupid compared to what should have been done. Cons you into doing things you are not being paid to do knowing they are jot paying you to do it. Only get paid once a month. Terrible pay by the time you pay for the stuff you need for the job there's barley anything left to pay any bills at a 34% tax. It's every day of the week your working except Christmas and Thanksgiving. Can't take off need to find someone to fill in for you if you do take off. Just worst place they are worried about money and who's cheapest. Get people in and out don't worry if it's an incorrect diagnosis you need to meet the daily goals. Worst way to run a buisness they don't care about the patients.
Pros
Cons
Pays terrible, work everyday, management is TERRIBLE, coworkers are dirty, everyone let's stuff lay around