Media General

Media General Employer Reviews

Media Industry
IT Executive (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Great place to be with the up and comping expansion. The company keeps you busy and expanding, always enhancing your current skill set.
Great opportunities for advancements
Newspaper Carrier/Sales Agent (Current Employee), Lynchburg, VAFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: self employed independent contractor
Cons: no health benefits
Productive and fun workplace, with early morning work hours.
Director of Evening Newscasts
Production Technician II (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: exciting environment.
Cons: not a strong management team
A typical day at work included directing evening newscasts, editing video content for air on newscasts, trouble shooting equipment malfunctions.
Lots of turnover
IT Technical Support (Former Employee), Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 11, 2013
Cons: insurance had high deductible, low pay.
The average turnover while I was there for 1.5 years was one out of five people. In the IT department, it was one person every 8 months. Employees were constantly requiring training. There was no "Team" environment, and coworkers that knew how to do things weren't helpful to walk through solutions and would withhold information.
Corporate News Graphics
Motion Graphics Intern (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: speed, constant work
Cons: lack of creative freedom, corporate
Very Corporate and restraining on creativity, But very stable and very dependable on work. I learned and developed a lot on time management as well as my speed.
Talented Designers
LEAD DESIGNER (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMay 20, 2013
Face-pace environment. Great project management resulting in impressive production.
Flexible work schedule and great pay!
Independent Contractor (Former Employee), Woodbridge, VAMarch 25, 2013
Pros: free days only work at night for a few hours.
Cons: seven days a week job, no matter the weather or conditions
A typical day at work is: pick up the papers, deliver them to the designated addresses....
I learned how to drive in all types of weather, usually one handed while bagging papers.
The hardest part of the job, is getting used to paydays once a month.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the pay, it paid REALLY well!
The Digital Media Team was best group I have ever worked with
Integration Tech/Mobile SME (Former Employee), Richmond, VaFebruary 8, 2013
Pros: free sodas and coffee, reimbursement for schooling/certifications
Cons: healthcare was expensive
I LOVED what I did, and who I worked with. Every day I learned something new and was able to contribute and advance. My coworkers were the most talented people I have ever had the honor of knowing. My direct management within the division were progressives and really had a focus and expertise on mobile and making the company truly competitive and cutting – more... edge. Upper management of overall company came from newspaper backgrounds and did not understand digital well enough to allow it to excel. – less
Changing of the guard
Vice President, Operations (Former Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2013
Pros: collabrative, exciting, non stop opportunty
When I started, being part of a TV stations, Website and Newspaper was exciting. Constant buzz, community involvement, non stop work, everyday an adventure. Media General was a solid and fun place to work. I loved going to work each day. Very fulfilling place to work.
Stressful the last three years with job insecurity
Legal advertisement/Front Desk Customer Service (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: good healthcare and 401k
Cons: not sure if you were going to be there the next day.
The last five years were enjoyable because I worked in a department where I was able to multitask and was asked for my input of new ideas.
The hardest part was tracking down ads for the daily deadlines; customers wait till the last minute to make changes to their ads.
Co-workers were very nice.
Most of the properties were fun places to work
Multi Media Advertising Consultant (Former Employee), Wytheville, Bristol, VA - Statesville, NCDecember 27, 2012
Pros: good money
Cons: bad management
Most of my Media General experience was fun and productive, I left for a short while to a competitor and came back since MG had more to offer.
We were to be there at 8, around 8:30 we might have a sales meeting that was not productive at all, then you would finish what you started at 8 -email review, processing orders in the data base, preview ads with – more... customers, create layouts for new ad orders, find pictures or other components and place them in the correct folders for ad services then we had to leave the office by 10 am for sales calls and were not to return until 3 pm or after. We were to log in all sales related information into Sales Force and between 10 - 3 were to see 12 face to face sales calls. When we returned you would do the sales maintenance needed order entry by sales deadlines, etc.
I learned for how to make great ads and built many relationships with clients, worked under 6 different commission plans, learning which works the best to motivate sales people. I learned that not all publishers are fair and moral. I learned to work under great adversity and hostile managers as well as the best managers I ever had. I learned that not all HR people are not interested in helping and that the current trend for work environments is not to applaud the top workers but to attack at them per jealousy and run off the talented older people.
the hardest part of the job was working within the deadlines and all the pressures placed on sales people with having them do a lot of administrative work yet expect them to sell and make goals.
the most enjoyable part was seeing the results my customers were getting from collaborative work and their trust in me.

In my career, I was salesperson of the month several times, of the year once and top 3 producer in all of MG one year.

I learned digital media as well as print media – less
I enjoyed working directly with the editor and building realtionships with my clients and growing my book of business.
Account Executive (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 10, 2012
A typical day here was very similar to that of my current place of employment. I focused on building my book of business, which consisted of cold calling, prospecting, and networking. I also spent some of my day working and growing my current accounts. I learned that I was very strog in event coordination and my ability to help businesses grow through – more... my marketing knowledge and skill sets. I did not have a good experiance with management here, and learned a year after I left the company, she's was let go.
The most enjoyable part of the job was building relationships with my clients. – less
Excellent company to work for with the exception of the economic down turn for media.
Manager of Training and Development (Former Employee), Richmond, VAOctober 1, 2012
My job was supporting RTD, one of Media General's holdings.
To be such a large company did not provide much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 12, 2012
Pros: no pros
Cons: not enough hours offered and no benefits
Your day consist of calls back to back regarding selling newspapers . While their you do not learn much. Management is one sided. But the one good experience is the co-workers. The most difficult part of the this job is the public does not like telemarketing calls. Their were no enjoyable part to this job.
Great place to start out...
Local Sales Assistant-Research & Event Specialist (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJuly 6, 2012
I enjoyed working for this company, it was a good place to start out in the industry and learn the ropes but I found to grow, I had to go outside of the company.
Work enjoyable with nice co-workers
News Assistant, Special Events Reporter (Former Employee), Sebring, FLApril 28, 2012
Pros: great co-workers, nice working hours
Cons: having to constantly walk on eggshells
Workdays were very busy with it being a newsroom, but very enjoyable with each day being different. Working for a newspaper, you meet a wide variety of people and learn many different things, which is excellent. Unfortunately management, I feel was the hardest to contend with on a day to day basis, and was not very employee orientated, which caused – more... a morall downfall in the office. That, I felt was the hardest part of what was otherwise a very enjoyable job, with hard working, funny and loyal co-workers. I loved my work, and found the variety very enjoyable, especially when going out in the field and writing stories, and meeting so many different people. – less
Overall Love this company
Outside Advertising Sales (Current Employee), Marianna, FLApril 25, 2012
Overall I love working for this company. I hate the thought of leaving but due to financial reasons I am having to look at some different options. This company is very family oriented and is like working with a family.
Each day I get to work with some amazing customers customizing exactly what ad packages will work for their business and help grow their – more... business. I have been able to learn different sales techniques with this being a different sales avenue rather than cell phones and service.
The hardest part of my job has been the economy and overcoming that challenge. Coming from a small town most of my customers don't have a huge advertising budget so trying to meet their needs and my goals is a huge challenge. – less
Fast paced, hard working, motivated company.
Senior Sales Executive/Retention/Sales Training (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 16, 2012
One of the best companies to work for. Team atmosphere and training available.
Loved this JOB
ACCOUNT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Tarpon Springs, FloridaApril 5, 2012
Pros: cable works
Same description as Viamedia. I worked for TCI for five years until it was taken over by ATT, AOL and then Time Warner within a months time.
Media General was a media company that was just starting to take advantage of its clustered properties for regional selling strategies.
Regional Classified Sales Director (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMarch 20, 2012
Media General was just starting to add advertising partnerships with great name recognition, national reach, and strong technical systems.

About Media General

With interests in digital publishing and broadcasting, this company generally has the media covered. Media General publishes the – Read more