Media General Employee Reviews in United States

Would rather not elaborate after being laid off along with most of the Media General employees after a rather hostile company takeover.
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part of working for Media General is the friendly, healthy workplace where superiors were always very helpful in order for me to complete my tasks.
Pros
Friendly, healthy workplace.
Cons
No year-end bonuses for any employee under those with the title of VicePresident.
Not a fun place to work
Multi-Media Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 27, 2015
Management introduced a new focus each week and did not care about the client's needs or the reps suggestions. Morale was extremely low and several reps have left or plan on leaving in a few months.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
everything else
Productive if the right set of people were working
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VirginiaSeptember 30, 2015
10 hour work days, all weather conditions 4 days working three days off. Only real negative is the on call and the amount of people they had to cover an area, after a 10 to 11 hour day you really don't want to be called in at 2:00 am for an outage. Other than that it was a nice experience.
Pros
Three days off
Cons
on call
Did plenty of work in plenty of places
COPY EDITOR (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 26, 2015
Media General owned a chain of newspapers throughout Virginia, and I worked at four locations -- Waynesboro (2004-2006), Woodbridge (2006-2010), Lynchburg (2010-2012) and Charlottesville (2012-2013). The first move I made on my own, as I wanted to be closer to my family in the Washington area. The move to Lynchburg came as part of a reorganization into a statewide copy desk headquartered there, and it was further reorganized and subdivided in 2012, thus the move to Charlottesville. In 2012, the chain was sold to Berkshire Hathaway's World Media.

I edited news, features, editorial and sports pages for a variety of newspapers.Management was generally supportive, and the co-workers cooperative. I enjoyed designing pages, editing copy and writing headlines.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
changing locations every few years
Used to be a great place to work for.
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2015
When I first got hired it was a great place to work for. It was all about the community and the betterment of said community. The people were great to work with and it was a fun environment. When I was laid off 6 years later they reduced the artist team to about 5 people and sent all the jobs overseas.
carrier
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALMay 30, 2015
Lots of heavy lifting bending and driving. You have to move quickly to get papers delivered in a timely manner. Have great bookkeeping skills to keep up with customer payments.
media general
Online Retail Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALMarch 11, 2015
I had a great team that I provided support to as online retail sales coordinator of their southeast region. A typical day consisted of working with our creative team to accommodate our customers with their online advertising. I kept track of sales of our different offices, and stayed on top of people's deadlines. I was also able to be a part of a creative online production that featured local news and sports. The most enjoyable part of my job had to be the creative freedom I had. My employers were always open to new ideas to bring an audience and consumers to our news sites.
Pros
healthcare, great management
Cons
very stagnant at times, a lot of time in front of a computer and not much interaction at times
Fun place with lots of advantages to work for Media General/Tampa Tribune
ADVERTISER ACCOUNTING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 24, 2014
Typical day would involved checking emails, the main phone line voice mails, making soft (30 days or less) collection calls, applying payments to accounts, if needed generated bills to be mailed or hand delivered by the sales representative. Supervisor mostly kept to themselves. Co-workers were always helpful. Tampa Tribune were sponsors to a lot of events in the Tampa area, so tickets were always available to the employees.
Pros
free tickets to events, sometimes free meals
Cons
department changes about every 6months
professional
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2014
very professional environment with very talented staff. Learned an incredible amount from art director
Fast paced, customer oriented, fun, relaxed environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLSeptember 2, 2014
A typical day required timely arrival for opening, answering phones, routing calls, delivering mail, greeting customers, filing, accounts receivable, data entry, typing, computer searches, Word.
Management was polite, equal opportunities were given as my abilities grew and was promoted.
The hardest part was gossipy parts of internal employees.
Enjoyable parts were the holiday events and lunches along with the intermingling with those employees you don't see often.
benefits
Cons
social gossip, misrepresentations of others, perhaps mistrust.
Enjoy the challenge of new projects & several projects. Capable of working alone or in a team environment. Highly motivated; committed to delivering
Videographer, Editor (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 2, 2014
Shoot and log tapes for projects.
Tuning in Live Shots and Audio setups.
Company does not exist any longer
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 17, 2014
Company does not exist any longer
Typical date consisted of greeting clients and interacting with building tenants
Media Industry
IT Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Great place to be with the up and comping expansion. The company keeps you busy and expanding, always enhancing your current skill set.
Great opportunities for advancements
Newspaper Carrier/Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 5, 2014
Productive and fun workplace, with early morning work hours.
Pros
self employed independent contractor
Cons
no health benefits
Director of Evening Newscasts
Production Technician II (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNFebruary 3, 2014
A typical day at work included directing evening newscasts, editing video content for air on newscasts, trouble shooting equipment malfunctions.
Pros
exciting environment.
Cons
not a strong management team
Lots of turnover
IT Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 11, 2013
The average turnover while I was there for 1.5 years was one out of five people. In the IT department, it was one person every 8 months. Employees were constantly requiring training. There was no "Team" environment, and coworkers that knew how to do things weren't helpful to walk through solutions and would withhold information.
Cons
insurance had high deductible, low pay.
Corporate News Graphics
Motion Graphics Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2013
Very Corporate and restraining on creativity, But very stable and very dependable on work. I learned and developed a lot on time management as well as my speed.
Pros
speed, constant work
Cons
lack of creative freedom, corporate
Talented Designers
LEAD DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 20, 2013
Face-pace environment. Great project management resulting in impressive production.
Flexible work schedule and great pay!
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 25, 2013
A typical day at work is: pick up the papers, deliver them to the designated addresses....
I learned how to drive in all types of weather, usually one handed while bagging papers.
The hardest part of the job, is getting used to paydays once a month.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the pay, it paid REALLY well!
Pros
free days only work at night for a few hours.
Cons
seven days a week job, no matter the weather or conditions
The Digital Media Team was best group I have ever worked with
Integration Tech/Mobile SME (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VaFebruary 8, 2013
I LOVED what I did, and who I worked with. Every day I learned something new and was able to contribute and advance. My coworkers were the most talented people I have ever had the honor of knowing. My direct management within the division were progressives and really had a focus and expertise on mobile and making the company truly competitive and cutting edge. Upper management of overall company came from newspaper backgrounds and did not understand digital well enough to allow it to excel.
Pros
free sodas and coffee, reimbursement for schooling/certifications
Cons
healthcare was expensive