Media General Employee Reviews

Fine Newspaper to get a start at...
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMay 1, 2017
This was my first real job after college, I had a great time learning - however another opporunity came a long to make a lot more money so I progrssed over to Customink.

This is where my career truly began.
Pros
Enjoyed graphic design very much
Cons
Outdated, and the pay was minimal
'Media General' review
Producer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 7, 2017
First of all, Nexstar bought Media General. So, look into them. But they are cheap and don't care about the news product. They took station cell phones away, took a week of vacation away, the benefits are worse and now most employees are hourly so there is bullying to not work overtime and take a lunch break while still being expected to work the same amount of hours. Maybe not the worst in the business, maybe it is, but there are certainly better companies.
Pros
opportunies for those with little experience
Cons
don't care about news, cheap, quality is poor, small market mentality across the board
Wonderfull place
Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 23, 2017
I learned that you can have fun at work, and still get things done. No matter what your level of skill set, you always have room to improve and learn new ways of doing things. Management was wonderfull, I really loved my boss and my lead artists as well as my coworkers. It was nice working in a place where i was surrounded by other artsy people. The group is tight knit, but they accepted me in with open arms. The hardest part i would say is making sure I create what the producers are looking for, or even something better than what they wanted. I think the most enjoyable part of this job was that I was always able to look at tutorials on different ways to treat text and the actual artwork that would go on air.
Pros
free coffees and tea, free sodas, access to vending machines, weekly fellowship meetings, weekly meetings with constructive critisizim
Productive place to work
Mailroom Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 1, 2016
Media General was a good place to work. Working there enabled me to financially obtain my degree and get my teaching degree to got into the teaching field to accomplish my goal.
Pros
Meeting diverse people
Cons
Too much time away from your young children
Great Learning Environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 13, 2016
Media General was a very productive environment to work in, I learned a lot more about the newspaper, the printing of the daily newspaper for the Lynchburg area and surrounding counties.
Pros
Great vacation time
Cons
had mandortory days off without pay
Good people but low pay
Digital (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2016
Overall great culture and people that you work with every day, but the pay is way below the competition. Benefits are good.
Would rather not elaborate after being laid off along with most of the Media General employees after a rather hostile company takeover.
Executive Assistant to Vice President (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part of working for Media General is the friendly, healthy workplace where superiors were always very helpful in order for me to complete my tasks.
Pros
Friendly, healthy workplace.
Cons
No year-end bonuses for any employee under those with the title of VicePresident.
Not a fun place to work
Multi-Media Advertising Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 27, 2015
Management introduced a new focus each week and did not care about the client's needs or the reps suggestions. Morale was extremely low and several reps have left or plan on leaving in a few months.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
everything else
Productive if the right set of people were working
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VirginiaSeptember 30, 2015
10 hour work days, all weather conditions 4 days working three days off. Only real negative is the on call and the amount of people they had to cover an area, after a 10 to 11 hour day you really don't want to be called in at 2:00 am for an outage. Other than that it was a nice experience.
Pros
Three days off
Cons
on call
Did plenty of work in plenty of places
COPY EDITOR (Former Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 26, 2015
Media General owned a chain of newspapers throughout Virginia, and I worked at four locations -- Waynesboro (2004-2006), Woodbridge (2006-2010), Lynchburg (2010-2012) and Charlottesville (2012-2013). The first move I made on my own, as I wanted to be closer to my family in the Washington area. The move to Lynchburg came as part of a reorganization into a statewide copy desk headquartered there, and it was further reorganized and subdivided in 2012, thus the move to Charlottesville. In 2012, the chain was sold to Berkshire Hathaway's World Media.

I edited news, features, editorial and sports pages for a variety of newspapers.Management was generally supportive, and the co-workers cooperative. I enjoyed designing pages, editing copy and writing headlines.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
changing locations every few years
Used to be a great place to work for.
Graphic Artist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2015
When I first got hired it was a great place to work for. It was all about the community and the betterment of said community. The people were great to work with and it was a fun environment. When I was laid off 6 years later they reduced the artist team to about 5 people and sent all the jobs overseas.
carrier
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALMay 30, 2015
Lots of heavy lifting bending and driving. You have to move quickly to get papers delivered in a timely manner. Have great bookkeeping skills to keep up with customer payments.
media general
Online Retail Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALMarch 11, 2015
I had a great team that I provided support to as online retail sales coordinator of their southeast region. A typical day consisted of working with our creative team to accommodate our customers with their online advertising. I kept track of sales of our different offices, and stayed on top of people's deadlines. I was also able to be a part of a creative online production that featured local news and sports. The most enjoyable part of my job had to be the creative freedom I had. My employers were always open to new ideas to bring an audience and consumers to our news sites.
Pros
healthcare, great management
Cons
very stagnant at times, a lot of time in front of a computer and not much interaction at times
Fun place with lots of advantages to work for Media General/Tampa Tribune
ADVERTISER ACCOUNTING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 24, 2014
Typical day would involved checking emails, the main phone line voice mails, making soft (30 days or less) collection calls, applying payments to accounts, if needed generated bills to be mailed or hand delivered by the sales representative. Supervisor mostly kept to themselves. Co-workers were always helpful. Tampa Tribune were sponsors to a lot of events in the Tampa area, so tickets were always available to the employees.
Pros
Free tickets to events, sometimes free meals
Cons
Department changes about every 6months
professional
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 19, 2014
very professional environment with very talented staff. Learned an incredible amount from art director
Fast paced, customer oriented, fun, relaxed environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLSeptember 2, 2014
A typical day required timely arrival for opening, answering phones, routing calls, delivering mail, greeting customers, filing, accounts receivable, data entry, typing, computer searches, Word.
Management was polite, equal opportunities were given as my abilities grew and was promoted.
The hardest part was gossipy parts of internal employees.
Enjoyable parts were the holiday events and lunches along with the intermingling with those employees you don't see often.
Benefits
Cons
Social gossip, misrepresentations of others, perhaps mistrust.
Enjoy the challenge of new projects & several projects. Capable of working alone or in a team environment. Highly motivated; committed to delivering
Videographer, Editor (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 2, 2014
Shoot and log tapes for projects.
Tuning in Live Shots and Audio setups.
Company does not exist any longer
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 17, 2014
Company does not exist any longer
Typical date consisted of greeting clients and interacting with building tenants
Media Industry
IT Executive (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Great place to be with the up and comping expansion. The company keeps you busy and expanding, always enhancing your current skill set.
Great opportunities for advancements
Newspaper Carrier/Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 5, 2014
Productive and fun workplace, with early morning work hours.
Pros
Self Employed Independent Contractor
Cons
No health benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Media General. Our community is ready to answer.