Mediacom Communications Corporation

Mediacom Communications Corporation Employee Reviews

A frustrating, although highly incentivized, fast-paced customer service work environment troubleshooting cable and explaining billing over the phone.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Red Oak, IAMarch 27, 2014
At Mediacom, I specialize in billing and troubleshooting cable services over the phone. With only four seconds between phone calls, it is a fast-paced work environment. I work with dispatch to schedule technicians, sell internet, cable, and phone services, and walk customers through fixing cable and billing issues, including DVR service, Video OnDemand error code resolution, remote control issues and reprogramming, auto-programming digital-ready (QAM) televisions, explaining prorated bills and monthly fees, working with past bills and our amnesty program, assessing credit, working with the research team to track payments and returned equipment, and giving general pricing and package knowledge about Mediacom service in 22 states. A typical workday is taking approximately 60 phone calls in the span of 8 hours.

Co-workers are sometimes downtrodden by both the sheer number of difficult calls to take and by the sometimes whimsical nature of changes in cable service -- like the changes made recently to installation fees, which are non-negotiable for customers. This makes selling services difficult, but each customer service agent is required to sell an average of three lines of service per day (cable, phone, or internet in any sort of combination). This seems simple, but we don't get routed sales calls generally, and in my particular office, we specialize in cable troubleshooting and billing. You have to know an enormous amount about the industry at any particular time, or be able to quickly come up with the information, because you get calls from everywhere -- from Delaware to California
  more... to Florida to South Dakota. Each is going through digital transitions at different times; each has channel changes made constantly by us the provider and also by the programmers who run our show. Management tries to incorporate these into our daily morning meetings (called Huddles), but the strict time frames of every.single.thing that we as agents do restricts any sort of comprehensive continual training. The morning meeting (Huddle) is wonderful, though, because we can touch base with our team mates, we talk about new incentives, channel changes, new products, price increases, troubleshooting techniques, sales and call times, etc. There are just SO many things to know that it's frustrating how little training time we get -- maybe once a month we have a two hour meeting with our team and our resident trainer to update us on things like the new Tivo service or Home Controller, which is a security system, or to refresh us on billing and prorated billing and how to talk to customers about all of it.

Overall, it really is a decent job, but the amount of frustration makes me hesitant to recommend it, because you get frustration both from the corporate side of things and from the customers. It's hard to be yelled at and still be helpful. But this job forces you to practice keeping your calm, and that's a fantastic skill to have in your life. This is not somewhere that I can work for the rest of my life personally, but if you're motivated by change and incentives, then this is the job for you!
Pros
constant incentives, practically unlimited overtime opportunities, great benefits, a decent entry-level job that can become a career, decent prospects for advancement elsewhere in the company (like a lead position, however in my small town of red oak, not available).
Cons
not comparable pay to other cable and satellite providers, commission pay-out is poor, require 3 lines of service sold per day of cable and internet and phone for every csr, <100% sales goal/month which is about 3 lines of service/day lessens the meager commission, don't route sales calls to regular csrs so we get whatever is leftover if we're lucky
Awful!
Direct Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  illinoisMay 17, 2012
A typical work day for me as a direct sales rep (door to door) is walking in a hot uniform that is long sleeved in the summer and not allowed to wear a hat or gloves in the winter. Being expected to work outside during severe weather (lightning, sleet, snowstorms, tornadic conditions, etc) each day to make unrealistic quotas from management. Training is non existent even for new hires. There are no supplies to utilize. (Upper management does not supply business cards, flyers, pens, uniforms, gas allowance, travel/hotel compensation, etc) Employees are required to purchase these out of pocket without being compensated. If you are a salaried employee and you take one day off during the week, it will be removed from your payroll. however, if you work a day that you are not regularly scheduled such as a saturday or sunday, you will not be paid those days. Sometimes weekends are mandatory, but as a salaried employee, you will not be paid for working them. Commissions are never what you are lead to believe at the time of hire. if you are even awarded the commssion. sales incentives are non existent. i spend roughly 500/month in fuel to work in my territories. However, depending on the manager i may or may not get a fuel allowance. I havent received any fuel allowances in the past 6 months. And since i am just a rep and not management I am not eligible for a company car. i have put over 25,000 miles on my personal vehicle in 6 months time for Mediacom alone. None of those miles or fuel have been compensated for.
Training for new hires including new managers is non-existent and there
  more... is a lot of micro managing within the company. There is no support or communication from the chain of command. if you deter off the chain of command, you will be written up for it.
Promotions are non existent. Pay raises are non existent.
the only part of this job I could even consider liking are the co-workers. We stick together as a team and try to learn from each other how best to take care of our customers.
Mediacom claims that the door to door reps are the face of their company. Why then does corporate treat us the worst? Turnover is exceptionally high. In my area, I have been here the longest with 3 years under my belt. The next one down from me has 2 and the one after that has 4 months. What does that say? I will not be here much longer if things do not change and change very quickly. I have a family to support and the downhill slide of this company is causing my family to suffer most.
Pros
blue cross insurance
Cons
pay, no expenses reimbursed, no fuel allowance, shallow commissions, poor management

Comment – September 12, 2012

As a current door to door rep in the same state, this is an absolutely false claim. Uniforms have only been required within the last couple of months, and consist of short-sleeve polo shirts and tan trousers. We are provided with 2 weeks of uniforms so that we can have one week clean while the other week's clothing is turned in to the local office to be laundered FOR US and returned ready to wear. We are NOT required to wear long sleeves in the summer and we are certainly not prohibited from wearing hats and gloves in adverse weather. On the contrary, winter caps are provided by the company, as are heavy winter coats with hoods and zip-in liners. As for working outdoors in these conditions, the opposite of the above claim is also true. I have, on many occasions, been called by my supervisor or a member of management to warn me of bad weather in or coming to my area and have been advised to either go home or seek shelter, depending on what is safest, until the threat passes. The supervisors and managers care deeply about their employees in the field. I have been supplied, at no cost to me, with all the tools I need to do my job, including a cell phone (that the company pays for), flyers, business cards, a rubber stamp with my name and phone number, and all necessary forms and paperwork I would need when selling to a customer. The ONLY things I've purchased out of my pocket are a binder (only because I wanted a larger one than what the company provided for me - although theirs is a very nice leather, zip-up one), pens, and folders to organize my paperwork. I could have easily  more... obtained these from my local office, but chose to purchase exactly what I preferred instead.
Training is mandatory for all new hires and consists of a one-week intensive training program with hotel costs paid, mileage reimbursed, and money provided in advance for daily meals. As for bonuses and incentives, they are always available if the sales quotas (which are NOT unreasonable) are met. If you don't meet quota, you don't get an incentive or bonus to recover some of your gas expense. I work with many door to door reps that have been with the company for 4, 5, even 9 years. Performance = pay. No performance = no pay. This is a great job and has many great rewards, if you actually get out and put in the work that is required of you. I have run into NONE of the above issues in the 2 1/2 years that I've worked here. Actually, I find this company to be much more accommodating than companies I've worked for in the past in similar positions. I thoroughly enjoy working for Mediacom!

Comment – October 27, 2012

It sound as if you benn drinking their coolaid/?

Mixed Reviews
Sales rep (door to door) (Current Employee) –  IL, Ky regionDecember 23, 2012
Door to Door sales is challenging enough in itself regardless of your past sales experience.....the goals they set are very unrealistic. Fortunatley there is a decent base salary, but very little incentive to sell....avg commission is $10-$15 per sale. Hours are 11-8....usually 2-3 conference calls per week. Constant e-mails and the micro-management is annoying. Actual "prime time" door to door selling is 2-8.....expectations are 60 doors knocked, 30 contacts and 2 sales per evening. The 2 sales per night is unrealistic.you are pressured to work Saturdays if you haven't sold enough (which is everyone, because of their lofty, unrealistic goals) And although you disposition everything in your phone they expect a daily and weeklly report. Once you sell something it's an hour long process calling the sale in, putting everything in your phone and then we are expected to take it to UPS and turn cash into a money order. It's very frustrating all they demand with very little given in return. We are also expected to call in at 2, 6 and 8 regardless if there is anything to report or not. Not to mention weather conditions they have us out in. Plus Christmas EVE we are expected to knock on doors 1-6 pm. INSANE. Nothing is simple here. Everything is a hurdle. Very out of touch and little to no regard for their employees. Overall it is very stressful at times. Prices are constantly changing, constant complaints from customers on service. A lot of former dissatisfied customers from past experiences either from pricing or poor service. This review is negative and believe it or not I am a very  more... positive person and I'm able to endure a lot, but this is one challenging place to work. Most of the door to door sales reps are looking for other work and unhappy with their position or just here for the benefits. A TON of turnover as you can imagine. Longest sales rep has been here a little over a year!!!!! I will try to keep a good attitude and continue to push ahead and hope for the best until something else comes along......  less
Pros
base salary, some days can be limited in actual work 2pm-8pm, no office to report to everyday
Cons
poor commission incentives, micro-management style, redundant work chores (reports, e-mails ect) working conditions (rain, snow, ice), total disorganization throughout the company)
Very challenging, difficult job - but can pay well.
DIRECT SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 24, 2016
Was a Direct Sales Representative - THE toughest job in the entire company. Expect your commission/compensation plan to change at least once a year, expect to be constantly threatened with being fired, expect your supervisor to monitor and question your every move all day long by GPS from your company-issued cell phone, expect difficult sales situations because most potential customers have had a previous bad experience with Mediacom, and expect that once you do sell something there will be problems with getting it installed! And, you only earn commission on INSTALLED sales.

New inexperienced reps rarely survive more than a few months. The most successful reps have been here for years (have built an established referral network) or have been recruited from other cable TV companies and have significant prior cable TV sales experience. The rare sales rep who can handle constant discouragement, carefully manage their time, manage and shepherd their sales to successful installation, and cut through all the challenges to making a sale can make a very good income - but that is only about 20 sales reps in the whole country!

Expect management to frustrate you - not help you, put roadblocks to your success in your path, and constantly push company policy and rules, rather than encouraging or assisting you or having any compassion or sympathy for the challenges you face. Expect vacation time off requests to be denied, and expect to be pushed to work 6 days a week, or at least Tuesday - Saturday. Prime selling time is noon to 8:00 PM, so don't expect to be home with your family
  more... in the evenings. Expect to be walking up to 2 to 3 miles every day as you work your way through neighborhoods knocking on doors to sell services door-to-door, in all weather, regardless how severe conditions are. If you like a tough challenge and can handle constant rejection - this is the job for you!  less
Pros
It is posible to make a great income - for a very rare sales rep., good health benefits, nice selection of low cost TV, Internet, phone services for your home use.
Cons
Too many to list here - read review!
Not a great place to work...
Installer/Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Rather not sayJanuary 23, 2014
I will start with the good. They have a great training program. They teach you what you need to know to perform the tasks at hand. The benefits are decent. You get discounted cable services, insurance benefits are a bit pricey, and you are issued a company vehicle and tools that you can take home with you. This is where the good ends.

They put an impossible work load on you every day. When hired, they tell you that its an 8-5 M-F job (40 hours per week). They assign you 14 hours of work each day (on average). They force you to work overtime constantly. They call mandatory work days on the weekends, and give you 3 days notice. They don't tell you about HR forms you have to fill out for your spouse's insurance and when you don't fill it out you get docked $125 per paycheck.

During training they tell you that you are not required to go into attics or in crawl spaces but in the field, they say "You have to get the job done." I've had to go into houses with black mold, animal feces everywhere, etc. It is a risk to personal health and safety.

It is VERY high stress, and dangerous. They compensation is beyond awful and you only get one raise per year, and its barely a raise (average of 9 cents). They do let you take up to 2 Jones/NCTI courses per year and get 25 cents per course raise. So, on a yearly basis, expect to only be raised 59 cents and that is only if YOU take the initiative to complete the two NCTI courses.

Management is sketchy where I work. I hope it isn't like this everywhere. Our supervisor quit, and it took them 6+ months to get a new one. In that time, we were
  more... managed by an area manager that had serious anger issues. He also praises you to your face, and talks serious trash about you behind your back. He refers to employees that have left as cancer, but when they're here praise them as "one of the best techs we have."  less
Pros
company vehicle/tools, discounted cable services.
Cons
high stress, dangerous, mandatory overtime, awful pay.
An interesting job hampered by micromanagement and upsetting work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hibbing, MNJanuary 7, 2015
Mediacom is not a place for the easily broken. Sitting in an office can be nice, even relaxing, and I worked with some really enjoyable people. Working on a computer with people's accounts and taking payments wasn't really too hard, and the other data entry duties really weren't a hassle except on the busy days.

The main problems come from management. While I was there, every little thing you did had to be documented. A customer came in? What did he want? What services did he have? What services did you offer him? What services did he get? Why didn't he get certain services? And more! All information you would have to document for every customers, and I worked in a busy office, sometimes helping over 100 customers a day. Then, after you take down that information, compile it into a file for the day and send that file to your supervisor. Then compile those files every week and send them in with a written report. Then compile those files along with a report every month! And this is just one of a many things we were tracked on, and if you were even a little behind on anything, expect to explain why over and over again to a variety of people.

The other problem is dealing with customers. People hate their local cable company. And for every 5 nice customers you'll meet, you'll meet someone who clearly hates you. I've worked in retail, hospitality and other customer related services, and I've never encountered people quite this bad. Screaming, calling you names, throwing things at you, and always, ALWAYS telling you what a rip off you are and how they "never ordered that service"
  more... or asking "what the heck is that charge for? You're criminals." It really will test your patience, and there were so many days I went home just emotionally exhausted. If you can handle it, then more power too you, but I just couldn't take the excessive negativity.  less
Pros
decent pay for where i was, nice benefits
Cons
micromanaged to death, angry customers, sitting in front of a computer 40 hours a week.
Challenging job but a good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLDecember 11, 2013
A day in the life in the Mediacom family started with my logging into my workstation to be prepared to take calls for the day. At the beginning of my shift there would be a 15 minute team meeting. The meeting would include all pertinent information I might need for the day.

I learned quite a bit at Mediacom. I have worked in some form of customer service my whole life. At Mediacom, I learn to fine tune my customer service skills. When I am face to face with a customer/client, they can see the empathy/sympathy in the expressions on my face. When you are on the phone with the same customer/client, I have to work harder to allow that customer to "see" the fact that I am only there to help.

The management at Mediacom were, for the most part, very supportive and helpful. I would have shift bids every 6 months or so, so I had opportunity to work under multiple supervisors in my time with the company. Although, if my supervisor wasn't available, I could go to whoever was free at the time. I believe that a system like this is not a bad thing. I learned the different styles of each supervisor and became a better CSR for all of them.

My co-workers were invaluable. We were in close quarters and could hear each other's calls. If one of us needed information and could not remember where to find it, someone else around could offer said information easily in the form of a note. We were a family. We all understood what the others were going through. The support of a co-worker made a difficult day a bit easier to handle.

Not being able to provide a satisfactory and timely resolution to the
  more... customer's problem(s) was the hardest part of the job. Sometimes it was the nature of the system that we worked in with scheduling technician appointments. Other times, it was other employees who were unwilling to work with the customer. Whatever the issue was, it was the most frustrating part of the job because I was there to help and that is truly what I wanted to do.

Being able to provide resolution that the customer was happy with was the absolute best part of the job. I love helping people. That is why I have worked customer service.
Pros
sales commision
Cons
nothing that was bad enough for a con
Low pay in field/Impossible Expectations
Installer Technician (Current Employee) –  Satsuma, ALAugust 20, 2013
I am thankful for Mediacom for showing me the world of telecommunications, yet I feel the company's human capital is it's weakest point.

I began work at the rate of 9.75 hourly as an Installer Technician. My job description is to install digital cable, internet, and phone services. However, my day to day duties require much, much more of me without any compensation. I would easily estimate that 95% or more of my work is doing the work of a Service Technician, which is over a $2 hourly raise. I am required to do this work, yet paid at the base level.

The competition (Comcast and Cox Cable) hire their employees at not only a higher base hourly rate, but they are required to only do one service. Phone, or internet, or cable. Mediacom requires us to do all three, in return for the lowest pay in the industry.

Virtually every Installer Tech feels 'stuck' as an Installer Tech due to Mediacom's unobtainable number-rating scheme. Repeat-calls (where the Tech is unable to fix the problem the first time) are completely unavoidable and not subject to any form of appeal or explanation. Examples include: Customer has our service. Customer moves to a new house, transfers their service. Their service no longer works=repeat on the tech. This is one of many examples of how a Tech simply cannot excel at his job due to the current system. This means no promotions, and possibly facing administrative action.

As such, many of Mediacom's new hires feel immediately disenchanted with the company and seek employment elsewhere quickly. Mediacom locally has become known as the 'cable training boot camp'.
  more...

I did however enjoy meeting the many friendly coworkers I have met thus far. Most are very outgoing and helpful, yet they feel stuck in the same rut, even if their paygrade is higher by a few notches.
Pros
minimal supervision, decent training, friendly atmosphere
Cons
very low pay, technician expectations
The company needs to emphasize employee importance more.
Cable Installer Technician (Current Employee) –  Auburn, INMay 21, 2012
Typically we are scheduled 10 hours of work to perform in eight hours, causing us to work overtime more often than expected. I have learned more on interpersonal communications through customer relations. When it comes to management, corporate places little trust in Supervisors and Managers limiting there ability to make decisions and control outcomes regarding punitive actions. My co-workers are great and always ensure to let me know if I missed something or messed something up on the job, allowing me to further improve myself and job performance. The hardest part of the job is being micro-managed from the top down. They monitor video on demand (VOD) tests ran for each box and expect us to wait an hour or more to be sure to run this test when we are usually over-pointed daily on our work orders assigned. (8 hours is 88 to 90 points and they assign between 100 to 120 points daily). If we fail to do the tests, we are wrote up, preventing promotions and raises in some cases. They track quick connect forms for sales and expect us to offer at every job though we are limited in time to do this. They also monitor vehicle speed through GPS and intend on creating a paper trail to aid in possible write ups. The only other problem is working in adverse weather conditions but I understand that is part of the job description. I enjoy people encountered through my work and find them interesting.
Pros
take van to and from home, gas paid
Cons
overworked.
Sucks
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Geneseo, ILJuly 15, 2015
• Generate additional company revenue through effective sales techniques and by offering information about product options , sales campaigns and promotions.
• Makes customer drop installations (exterior and interior) complete from tap to antenna terminals on customer equipment in both single and multiple unit dwellings, including pre-wired units.
• Performs new connects, reconnects, requested and non-pay disconnects; adds outlets; installs and/or removes converts; performs upgrades and downgrades of service.
• Analyzes picture quality and judges acceptability of picture delivered following installation of cable service.
• Manipulates connectors, fasteners and wire and uses hand tools.
• Uses customary CATV hand and power tools in performance of job duties.
• Completes appropriate paperwork functions as prescribed by system management.
• Reads signal levels through use of field strength meter; adds and subtracts levels in installation problems; installs connectors on different types of drop cable; maintains proper clearances; installs tap-off devices.
• Climb poles with proper equipment (safety belt, safety strap and climbers), ladders or other structures as needed. Lifts and carries loads up to 75lbs (including line ladder); Works within limited confines, such as crawl spaces.
• Properly uses, stores and maintains a VOM or DMM to check for “open” or “short” on line as well as AC and DC voltages.
• Reads general drop system layouts from blueprints.
• Inform customers of FCC Rules and Company policies as they pertain to customers.
• Drives Company vehicles in performance
  more... of job duties; uses bucket truck.
• Performs other duties such as clean-up and salvage of wrecked out materials; provides general assistance to other employees as directed.
Pros
sucks
Cons
EVERYTHING
Steady hours but nothing else
Regular worker (Current Employee) –  Any call centerJune 7, 2012
I currently work for this company. I will let you know that their quotas are crazy. You get raises by taking courses, which by the way are not free (someone on here said they are)...you have to pay upfront for them out of your paycheck (up to $500) and they reimburse you if you pass and give you a .25 raise! The prizes someone else mentioned are freebies from HBO or SHOWTIME that are like coasters, pens, etc...just garbage. If they get busy in the call center they will cut your breaks in half and add mandatory overtime without your consent. You are also scored on like 6 to 8 different areas and each one can be an excuse to fire you. You have sales goals but depending on what department you work in they may or may not be attainable...and you usually dont get your commission unless your "close" rate is met too. Just more baloney to keep from giving you what you deserve. The only good thing about this place is that you do get 40 hrs a wk, barely above min. wage.
Pros
steady hrs, insurance if you can afford it
Cons
low pay, too many ways to fire you, never get 2 days off in a row
Good place to start
Field Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Blooming Grove, New YorkAugust 28, 2015
I work in the field support center working with field technicians taking approximately 200 inbound/outbound calls per shift. The support center is located in a beautiful new corporate office near Chester NY but the department is not considered part of corporate.

For a recent college grad or someone looking to advance in to the corporate side of the company this is a good place to start. There's about 50 percent turnover in a year span -- 25 percent find a different position internally and the rest find employment elsewhere.

This is a 40 hour per week job with some five day 8 hour shifts and some four day 10 hour shifts. The center is open 6 days Monday through Saturday. Overtime is available and many people work 5-10 extra hours per week. The center is open from 7 am to 9 pm and your shift can fall anywhere in between.

There is a 4 week training period but the job is really learned on the floor with help from your fellow field support agents. Everyone is very helpful.

Supervisors are readily available but they mostly work with reports and do not work hand in hand with the field support reps.

Be prepared to work minor holidays while the corporate office employees have them off.
Pros
Corporate office located in Orange County New York
Cons
Limited pay advancement
Bad Pay, Only Looking for Lemmings Who Will Follow Management Blindly
OnMedia Sales (Former Employee) –  IowaDecember 18, 2013
Cable is dead and they are just now realizing it. Installers and door-to-door sales stopped selling cable years ago with the decreasing cable penetration rates Internet is only thing going well for them.. They're about 5 years too late to the online movement. Management has their own agenda to push for products they still believe in, yet it has been proven doesn't work for the market. If you are a lemming who can blindly follow management into the "dark abyss" 80's belief that low budget cable commercials still work and you can make a living off of this then this job is for you. However, if you are an independent intelligent thinker, this job is not for you as your opinions will be shot down immediately by an arrogant manager who claims to be able to go in and make a sale in 10 minutes yet has not visited the market area in several years. Wasted several years at this company hoping things would change and it never did.
Pros
management never visits yet still manages to micromanage your daily routine
Cons
i think the review posted here says enough. waste of time
Poor management, horrible atmosphere, low pay
customer service & sales rep (Former Employee) –  gulf breeze, flAugust 11, 2014
I worked for Mediacom for just over a year. I've worked in call centers for roughly 10 years & this was by far the worst. You receive death threats from customers on a regular basis & you're constantly cursed out & told how horrible you are for being associated with the company. If you go out in public with anything that indicates you work for Mediacom, the locals will tear into you then as well. Upper management doesn't care how stressful the job is on the employee. They care only about their numbers. I personally had a meeting with the manager of the site & was told that we would have another meeting with other management officials. That never happened. Once I was out of his office, he never gave it a second thought. Moral is extremely low & most employees, including new hires, are looking for other places of employment. You're given an hour lunch & then they forcefully take half of it away every day for forced overtime. If you volunteer for OT, it still doesn't count towards the OT they're going to force on you.
Cons
everything
Good company, predictable hours, low wages, decent benefit package
NOC Operator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 9, 2013
Typical workday involved either responding to outages and alerts or approving maintenance down times.

I learned a great deal about telecommunications and understanding how internet transport works. Worked with Fiber equipment, Cisco, Huawei, and Nortel transport hardware.

Co-workers were reasonable. Most people were easy to get along with but there was few people that most people didn't seem to agree with. I feel this is typical in large organizations such as mediacom.

Sometimes the job could prove to very fast paced when a variety of things go wrong at the same time. It would create a stressful environment when you need to pinpoint a failure with in 15 minutes. At the same time though I also enjoyed working under pressure, working as NOC Operator is definitely not for everybody but can provide a quality learning expirence for entry into the telecommunications field.
Pros
benefits, free cable and internet!!!!
Cons
pay was below market for an aas degree
Great Co-workers
Commercial Sales and Retention (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, ILApril 26, 2013
I do inbound commercial sales for small to medium businesses for a cable company. We have to meet individual and team goals. My co-workers have been great when I ask questions. I have learned so much. It's exciting helping businesses put together a package that helps them increase sales and to build on the services as they grow.
My supervisor and manager are both great, very quick to help solve a problem. The hardest part of the job is when a business calls in to say they can't make it, and need help with downsizing or that they are closing. For me the most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers email that they need to increase services or are opening up another site. They also send me friends that have businesses and need services. That is the best part and I feel i have done a good job.
Pros
when we are very busy, there is a lot of stress our supervisor and manager find a way to turn it around, playing games, getting the department lunch, that we all eat together, no talking work allowed just, sitting and connecting.
Cons
healthcare did not seem very good when i used it, bad weeks also were no fun, it affected your pay.
think of a slave camp
Retention Agent (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, ILOctober 22, 2014
unfortunately this was a poorly ran business the management belittled workers and loved to gossip about workers very unprofessional and would not recommend working here if you have a family they are very demanding with hours and dont believe in taking time to take care of family my grandfather passed away and had just started and was told i needed to come in and make up the hours or i would be terminated. My grandfathers services were 2 hours away and missed the visitation because i needed this job. I have friends that still work there but the things i hear are worse and worse they monitor your calls which is fine but instead of an instant message they talk about you right behind you on walky talkies so its even louder and your customer can hear it. Also they dont want you to have a supervisor take a call so you have to dilute the situation they tell us things to say and when the customer demands a sup we have to email it in and usually a week later they are calling in because a sup never called.
Service/Install
Installer/Trouble Shooting Technician (Current Employee) –  Sun City, CAOctober 17, 2014
Typical day at work consists of supply and demand. Working and interacting with people on a regular basis. Personal vehicle assigned maybe in fair condition and working conditions will be nontraditional. (Attics, under dwellings, basements, dark and damp conditions)

You get a familiarization with basic cable methods and procedures via Company paid training.

Management is fair as work is monitored occasionally. Co-workers are usually typical as far as everyone is there to do one thing and one thing only. Earn income and complete jobs as soon as possible.

The Hardest part of this avenue is the integration of methods that can be challenging for those not familiar with quick adaptation. Problem and troubleshooting is a constant when dealing with telecommunications.

The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to be exposed to different ethnic backgrounds and having a sense* of being an independent with responsibilities. When you are in the field you have the say on what can and cannot be done.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
can be overwhelming (constant sudden changes to work flow)
easy going job
District Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GASeptember 14, 2014
A typical work day at Mediacom consist of going to different neighborhoods and trying to speak wth customers and potential customers about the product. Throughtout the day you may get calls from those potential customers to set appointments with to go back and speak to about possibly signing up for the companies services. I learned about the products of the company wich include cable, internet, and phone service. I learned about the installation process. I learned more customer service techniques to add to what I have already learned . I have learned to better self motivate myself and how to overcome objections from a customer when they do not want the service. My manger is always available for his employees and is very helpful. If he can not answer his phone when we call he always get back to us in a timely manner. All of my co-workers are very friendly and easy to work with. Everyone works well together as a team. The hardest part of the job would probably be working in the elements. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people you meet.
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
job is not secure
Extremely large geograghic area to manage with minimal staffing
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Elburn, ILDecember 21, 2012
Drive 130 miles round trip to office daily. Meeting with technicians defining work status and what is required for completion that day. Safety review and verification of tools and equipment needed that day. Call office in Moline, IL. to update Manager of status of projects and inform him of any changes on projects. Sort locator route sheets by geographic area discuss and prioritize emergency locates with tech. Attend meetings with IDOT and County or municipal engineers regarding construction of CATV within the Right of Way. Make site visits to review progress of contractors and check work site for signage and cones and placement of vehicles and equipment for workmen and public safety. Most days 250 plus miles was normal to accomplish required tasks. Also required to complete and submit and track progress all IDOT,County,and municipal permits for placement of cables etc. in the Right of Way.
Required to maintain job and vehicle safety meetings and content
Required to perform quarterly personnel reviews and annual job performance reviews.
Observing an individuals job growth and accomplishments was the most enjoyable part of the job.