Mediacom

Mediacom Employer Reviews

a day at work was fun most of the time
Regional Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Cedar Rapids IowaJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: company car, lots of travel
Cons: did not like to travel to cr everyday, on call 24-7
great place to work, I just retired after 35 years with them. great team mates in HR
Great people company
Communications Planner - Print (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 14, 2015
Perhaps because of their strong brands, this company is passionately driven and makes a great environment for its employees.
An interesting job hampered by micromanagement and upsetting work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hibbing, MNJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: decent pay for where i was, nice benefits
Cons: micromanaged to death, angry customers, sitting in front of a computer 40 hours a week.
Mediacom is not a place for the easily broken. Sitting in an office can be nice, even relaxing, and I worked with some really enjoyable people. Working on a computer with people's accounts and taking payments wasn't really too hard, and the other data entry duties really weren't a hassle except on the busy days.

The main problems come from management. While I was there, every little thing you did had to be documented. A customer came in? What did he want? What services did he have? What services did you offer him? What services did he get? Why didn't he get certain services? And more! All information you would have to document for every customers, and I worked in a busy office, sometimes helping over 100 customers a day. Then, after you take down that information, compile it into a file for the day and send that file to your supervisor. Then compile those files every week and send them in with a written report. Then compile those files along with a report every month! And this is just one of a many things we were tracked on, and if you were even a little behind on anything, expect to explain why over and over again to a variety of people.

The other problem is dealing with customers. People hate their local cable company. And for every 5 nice customers you'll meet, you'll meet someone who clearly hates you. I've worked in retail, hospitality and other customer related services, and I've never encountered people quite this bad. Screaming, calling you names, throwing things at you, and always, ALWAYS telling you what a rip off you are and how they "never ordered that service" or asking "what the heck is that charge for? You're criminals." It really will test your patience, and there were so many days I went home just emotionally exhausted. If you can handle it, then more power too you, but I just couldn't take the excessive negativity.
Not that great of a place
Installer Tech (Former Employee), Westby, WIJanuary 6, 2015
The only thing that was wrong with this company was the lack of support that was received due to the remote location out from any of the main offices.
insanity
self (Current Employee), floridaDecember 27, 2014
Pros: family oriented
Cons: no stability
A workplace that runs in circles daily. The staff are great people who are willing to learn and work together but are not given the opportunity. It's like working the trenches each day, we do what we can to survive. The industry is growing but the people who really matter, your front line people are being left behind. Changes must come soon, watching a department that once was the backbone crumble to mere nothing is so sad, but it's because the company no longer stands behind the ones that truly make the difference..... THE EMPLOYEES. SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.
Great work atmosphere
Installer/Service Tech (Former Employee), Cordele, GADecember 27, 2014
Pros: company truck alway had the right tools
Cons: had to start work at eight am would prefered to work earlier.
Got my work via laptop of what customers needed installs or having trouble with their phone internet or cable. troubleshoot problems at customer premises to correct the issues. Installed cable outlets in the rooms as needed or replaced drop line from home to service pole. Made sure customer was satisfied before leaving each jobsite. When done early called other tech to help them get caught up on their work. If I had a chance I would go help another division to learn more about that particular type of job also. My co-worker would work as a team to get all the orders done for that day. Management always encouraged us to learn other positions also. There were really no hard parts of the job. The bets part was getting to work with little to no supervision so I would get to explore how to do my job my own way.
Decent work environment with a company gym & cafe
Field Support Center Representative (Current Employee), Chester, NYNovember 23, 2014
Pros: company gym, company holiday parties, cable reimbursement, lots of overtime
Cons: sitting at a desk for 8-10 hours
8-10 Hours of sitting & taking calls from cable techs & customer service reps & sometimes customers.

Learned about how a cable/telecommunication company works.

Management is very helpful & competent.

Co-workers are friendly & helpful especially those who have been with the company longer.

Hardest part is sitting at a desk all day.(not good for health)

Enjoy the use of the company gym, the cable reimbursement, company holiday parties, lots of overtime.
Great company
Corporate employee (Current Employee), Blooming Grove, NYNovember 20, 2014
Great company to work for. Good work/life balance. Friendly coworkers. Everyone works very hard and tries to take care of the customer.
Business Yet Free Like Environment
Assistant Print Media Analyst (Former Employee), 498 Seventh AveNovember 12, 2014
Pros: client lunches
Cons: not any….
A typical day at the job required me to answer the phone. Meet with the media buyers, planners and potential clients within the LVMH umbrella. Co workers were easy to get along with. Due to it being an advertising agency the work climate was full of energy however still business because it wasn't the creative aspect of advertising. The most enjoyable part was getting the opportunity to present to senior level executives ideas to further a product's features.
Great Place to Learn, Grow, and Advance
Sr. Manager (Current Employee), Des Moines, IANovember 9, 2014
Pros: cable shows, benefits
If you know your stuff (or want to learn some stuff), and put your best foot forward you can't help but succeed here. Drive and ambition will take you far.
think of a slave camp
Retention Agent (Former Employee), Chillicothe, ILOctober 22, 2014
unfortunately this was a poorly ran business the management belittled workers and loved to gossip about workers very unprofessional and would not recommend working here if you have a family they are very demanding with hours and dont believe in taking time to take care of family my grandfather passed away and had just started and was told i needed to come in and make up the hours or i would be terminated. My grandfathers services were 2 hours away and missed the visitation because i needed this job. I have friends that still work there but the things i hear are worse and worse they monitor your calls which is fine but instead of an instant message they talk about you right behind you on walky talkies so its even louder and your customer can hear it. Also they dont want you to have a supervisor take a call so you have to dilute the situation they tell us things to say and when the customer demands a sup we have to email it in and usually a week later they are calling in because a sup never called.
Service/Install
Installer/Trouble Shooting Technician (Current Employee), Sun City, CAOctober 17, 2014
Pros: fast paced
Cons: can be overwhelming (constant sudden changes to work flow)
Typical day at work consists of supply and demand. Working and interacting with people on a regular basis. Personal vehicle assigned maybe in fair condition and working conditions will be nontraditional. (Attics, under dwellings, basements, dark and damp conditions)

You get a familiarization with basic cable methods and procedures via Company paid training.

Management is fair as work is monitored occasionally. Co-workers are usually typical as far as everyone is there to do one thing and one thing only. Earn income and complete jobs as soon as possible.

The Hardest part of this avenue is the integration of methods that can be challenging for those not familiar with quick adaptation. Problem and troubleshooting is a constant when dealing with telecommunications.

The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to be exposed to different ethnic backgrounds and having a sense* of being an independent with responsibilities. When you are in the field you have the say on what can and cannot be done.
the people I work with
Customer service rep (Current Employee), Moline, ILOctober 14, 2014
Pros: you get a break every couple hours and the benefits.
Cons: i would like a set schedule. we have shift bids every 6 months
I am a customer service rep. I am on the phone all day with all types of customers and I try to solve all their issues whatever it may be. I have learned that when the customer is upset it is not at me and i should put myself in their position and realize they just want it resolved. I really enjoy my work environment. Everyone management and fellow co workers are very friendly and willing to help with any issue. The hardest part of my job is when I dont know how to help the customer out.
installation and troubleshooting of cable tv services, which included fiber optics, internet, and telephone communications
Lead Technician (Former Employee), Thomasville, ALOctober 10, 2014
Pros: working with and meeting new people
Cons: lots of traveling in one day and late at night
Maintain 3 towns for cable tv, internet and telephone services. Troubleshooted line, residential and commercial customers.
Enjoyed working with and communicating with co-workers and meeting new people and resolving their issues.
Mediacom was a great business to work for
Technical Support (Former Employee), Gulf Breeze, FLOctober 1, 2014
In a typical work day I would answer telephone calls pertaining to technical support malfunctions with our customers' cable modems. I learned many different codes to assist in fixing the customers' internet. The management was great and they were very friendly. The co-workers were also great and very knowledgeable, and I learned many things from them by listening. The hardest part of the job was to remember all of the commands to fix the customers' cable modems. The most enjoyable part of the job was working overtime.
Excellant
CSSR (Former Employee), Valdosta, GASeptember 22, 2014
Pros: advancement within the company, yearly raises, commision on sales, daily goals with games and winning prizes, christmas party with door prizes and bigger prizes throughout the night
Cons: unappreciated by corporate for all of the hard work and going beyond, sales mattered more than the customers, and the technical support and customer service representatives.
Excellent work experience for 4 1/2 years. Manangement was amazing in the beginning and dwindled toward the end. Co-workers were amazing, we worked hard, we were the company and had to represent it as such. I learned a lot about people, especially corporate and customer service. Its not the easiest job, but if you actually care about what you do and strive to do the best possible, you will succeed at anything. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping others, when I could help a customer that had been having problems for a long time, and no one else seemed to do anything about it, just knowing that I cared made a difference to them.
An eye-opening experience in customer service
Lead Customer Service & Sales Representative (Current Employee), Valdosta, GASeptember 21, 2014
Mediacom is a loveable company. I thoroughly love working there. The background is inspiring, the company is not too big but, still noticeable on a national front. With so many call centers and divisions, interaction is high among co-workers and customers. One must have tough skin when dealing with tough customers and accounts, but overall it is an eye-opening and enjoyable experience in customer service.
easy going job
District Sales Representative (Current Employee), Fitzgerald, GASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: make your own schedule
Cons: job is not secure
A typical work day at Mediacom consist of going to different neighborhoods and trying to speak wth customers and potential customers about the product. Throughtout the day you may get calls from those potential customers to set appointments with to go back and speak to about possibly signing up for the companies services. I learned about the products of the company wich include cable, internet, and phone service. I learned about the installation process. I learned more customer service techniques to add to what I have already learned . I have learned to better self motivate myself and how to overcome objections from a customer when they do not want the service. My manger is always available for his employees and is very helpful. If he can not answer his phone when we call he always get back to us in a timely manner. All of my co-workers are very friendly and easy to work with. Everyone works well together as a team. The hardest part of the job would probably be working in the elements. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people you meet.
Great place to work for
Service Technician (Former Employee), Marion, ILSeptember 11, 2014
Always had something do and management was great. Never thought I was going to lose my job because it was job security
I don't have a summary
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Springfield, MOSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: cheap cable
Cons: management is terrible
I don't have a summary or a review. I do know that transferring from Iowa to the Missouri Region was one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my professional life.

1 2 3 4