Mediacom Employee Reviews in United States

Decisions
Human Resource Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 28, 2016
I liked the people I worked with and what I did. Decisions seemed to be hard for them to make and it took time to review; however this is not a bad trait, it was hard for me to make decision on what I wanted to do going forward with a career. They would not get back to you when they advised they would. I overall loved the position I was in and would have loved to become permanent instead of a temporary employee.
Pros
Enviroment Amazing
Cons
n/a
Typical Communications Company
Commercial Sales and Retention Representative (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJune 27, 2016
The company overall is a great place to work that gives a deep focus on its employees work/life balance. The CEO cares deeply about family and speaks of it every year during customer service appreciation week. As the company grows it does have some hiccups policy wise as things change on almost a daily basis but as a whole a pretty nifty place to work!
Ok place to work
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waseca, mnSeptember 11, 2015
On the job training was very helpful. My coworkers were very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was hearing how disappointed some customers would get in regards their service or lack there of.
Pros
commission on top of salary
Cons
poor management and large turnover
Very demanding and busy job
BROADBAND SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJune 28, 2016
Constant work job kept you busy not a lot down time a lot of overtime worked with customer some nice some not so nice but never batted an eye they where still customers and had to be treated with the total respect
Pros
Job kept you very busy
Cons
no lunches and pay raises could have been better
A skilled working environment
Warehouse Stocker and Loader (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 12, 2016
A typical day at work included checks and getting things ready for the day.

I learned how to work with computers and diagnostics.

The people I worked with were motivational and supportive.

Nothing was very difficult about this job.

I enjoyed the people I worked with.
csr
CSR (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMay 27, 2016
ist Medicaid beneficiaries with scheduling transportation to and from medical appointments.
Contact medical facilities to verify appointments and authorize services. Interact with transportation dispatcher
to coordinate members trips by phone, email, and fax.
MediaCom is good
BroadBand Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLMay 14, 2016
Hired on at Mediacom two months. Job is good but managment isnt the greatest. Companys main problem is that installers arent given enough power to successfully take care of jobs.
Pros
Knowledge of job
Cons
short or no breaks, too long of hours and
Great Commission, No manual labor, Thankless customers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Gulf Breeze, FLApril 17, 2015
The best thing in the day, is when the sales calls start coming. I would say that the hardest thing is being stationary all day, unless there is something that needs a supervisors attention, there is no moving. Management is definitely on point at Mediacom, and they will do everything in their power to help you stay on and stay productive within the company. My co-workers and I have formed a kind of kinship incomparable to that of any other company I have been employed with.
Pros
Commission, Benefits, Free Cable
Cons
Sitting down all the time, Never gives the benefit of the doubt
Great Benefits and work/life balance
Regional Digital Media Planner (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 19, 2016
Unlike allot of the other agencies I've been at, Mediacom has a pretty well-rounded work/life balance. I would just say that there could be a bit more fun added to the culture.
Consumer Reports bottom of the list worst company
Just an Employee (Current Employee) –  In one of the reqionsJuly 31, 2015
The executive management in New York all seem capable and vested in the companies success. The management in the locations around the country are sadly to say the crux of the embarrassment. Those that have been with the company or merged into after years of affiliation operate with a warped paradigm. Rocco is a terrific CEO, although he seems to be filtered out of the day to day circumstances that his middle management, senior supervisors and team supervisors, are sabotaging his investment.

A recommendation would be to have all of these people get on the phones, at the front counters, going to customers homes for 30 days of reality training and realization. Get them back to the basics of just who Mediacom's customers are and what is need day to day to get the satisfaction issues off the bottom of the charts.
Pros
Mediacoms commitment to non-major markets
Cons
Middle mangement that needs to be refreshed

Want to know more about Mediacom?

Ask a question
Good benefits and nice people
Senior Partner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2014
While Mediacom has a knack for finding very nice and qualified people, management is weak and not engaged. Leadership has very little connection with the day-to-day management of client issues.

The pay is decent and they have a formal annual employee evaluation process that theoretically helps guide employee career paths. Unfortunately, very few people take it seriously and employees can go years without a raise or any formal career mapping.
Pros
good pay, nice people, good proximity to transportation
Cons
little/no management engagement, poor career planning, open seating
loved the work but management was a joke and you have no life besides cable tv
system technician (Former Employee) –  Preston, MNMay 27, 2015
I worked for media companies for nearly ten years. Worked my way up from an installer to a tech ops supervisory position. All I can say is that bigger is not always better. Upper management was a distant joke. With a new York attitude while trying to run small town systems. They really have no idea what small town subscribers demand. They need to find good people, pay them well and do whatever it takes to keep them. In my ten years I watched over 30 technicians get hired and then terminate employment. That says very little about any company. And people to them are just a number. To bad because the work and technical aspects of this field still interest me today.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
upper and middle management with a lack of personal service.
Calm environment and helpful employees
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, IAJuly 16, 2015
Answering calls, questions, and making orders for the technicians to come set up or fix any equipment was the majority of my day. The hardest part of my job was when people calling in were so unhappy but the most enjoyable part was when I could help get them on the right track to the issue being fixed, If not by fixing it myself.
Pros
Nice lunch break, staff was nice, good benefits
Cons
The upset people
Excellant
CSSR (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 22, 2014
Excellent work experience for 4 1/2 years. Manangement was amazing in the beginning and dwindled toward the end. Co-workers were amazing, we worked hard, we were the company and had to represent it as such. I learned a lot about people, especially corporate and customer service. Its not the easiest job, but if you actually care about what you do and strive to do the best possible, you will succeed at anything. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping others, when I could help a customer that had been having problems for a long time, and no one else seemed to do anything about it, just knowing that I cared made a difference to them.
Pros
advancement within the company, yearly raises, commision on sales, daily goals with games and winning prizes, christmas party with door prizes and bigger prizes throughout the night
Cons
unappreciated by corporate for all of the hard work and going beyond, sales mattered more than the customers, and the technical support and customer service representatives.
the people I work with
Customer service rep (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILOctober 14, 2014
I am a customer service rep. I am on the phone all day with all types of customers and I try to solve all their issues whatever it may be. I have learned that when the customer is upset it is not at me and i should put myself in their position and realize they just want it resolved. I really enjoy my work environment. Everyone management and fellow co workers are very friendly and willing to help with any issue. The hardest part of my job is when I dont know how to help the customer out.
Pros
you get a break every couple hours and the benefits.
Cons
i would like a set schedule. we have shift bids every 6 months
Sucks
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Geneseo, ILJuly 15, 2015
• Generate additional company revenue through effective sales techniques and by offering information about product options , sales campaigns and promotions.
• Makes customer drop installations (exterior and interior) complete from tap to antenna terminals on customer equipment in both single and multiple unit dwellings, including pre-wired units.
• Performs new connects, reconnects, requested and non-pay disconnects; adds outlets; installs and/or removes converts; performs upgrades and downgrades of service.
• Analyzes picture quality and judges acceptability of picture delivered following installation of cable service.
• Manipulates connectors, fasteners and wire and uses hand tools.
• Uses customary CATV hand and power tools in performance of job duties.
• Completes appropriate paperwork functions as prescribed by system management.
• Reads signal levels through use of field strength meter; adds and subtracts levels in installation problems; installs connectors on different types of drop cable; maintains proper clearances; installs tap-off devices.
• Climb poles with proper equipment (safety belt, safety strap and climbers), ladders or other structures as needed. Lifts and carries loads up to 75lbs (including line ladder); Works within limited confines, such as crawl spaces.
• Properly uses, stores and maintains a VOM or DMM to check for “open” or “short” on line as well as AC and DC voltages.
• Reads general drop system layouts from blueprints.
• Inform customers of FCC Rules and Company policies as they pertain to customers.
• Drives Company vehicles in performance
  more... of job duties; uses bucket truck.
• Performs other duties such as clean-up and salvage of wrecked out materials; provides general assistance to other employees as directed.
Pros
sucks
Cons
EVERYTHING
Not for the faint of heart
Manager (Current Employee) –  Anywhere in the United StatesApril 30, 2013
I am a long term employee who has received "above average" reviews for years, yet I am not considered for promotional opportunities. Why? Because I am not willing to uproot my family and move across the country to another location, or when positions in my field are posted, they are posted at the same level I am currently at. This company is privately owned and operated and there are no procedures (outside of hourly) for supervisor or management promotions. If you work at the Corporate office, you are pretty much guaranteed that you will be promoted, especially if you are in good with the owner or his family.
The company micro-manages everything you do. You hear "we trust you to make decisions" but every decision is made at the Corporate level or if you do make a decision on your own and it is deemed to be wrong, you are belittled in public and told that you were wrong. If you expect a career here, look elsewhere.
Pros
management and supervisor being off site
Cons
micromanaging
Job Review
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 30, 2014
Assisting customers with account services-internet, cable, phone. Troubleshooting, making payments, changing services/account information.
Co-workers/Management are great and friendly.
The hardest part of the job is not being able to help with every situation as it may be out of the department level.
The most enjoyable part is being able to help people and the coworkers/work environment.
I have learned that there are many circumstances that are not in the control of the direct customer care representative department.
Pros
incentives/benefits
Cons
hourly wage
do not expect much
Customer Service Lead (Former Employee) –  iowaMarch 20, 2015
Typical day is answering phones, dealing with trouble shooting, billing. you have supervisors on your case if you go over 15min on a call, need to tell someone when you have to go to the bathroom. Your breaks and lunches are done for you and you have to go when they say. Management is a JOKE!! None of them get along, they all complain about each other, most of the time they promote people that know nothing at all!! they are the biggest butt kissers. Open door policy..hahaha not so. if you complain they will tell their source. The reduced rate on services is nice but not worth the headache! Overtime every week. the highest turnover rate!!!
Pros
management
Cons
reduced services
Steady hours but nothing else
Regular worker (Current Employee) –  Any call centerJune 7, 2012
I currently work for this company. I will let you know that their quotas are crazy. You get raises by taking courses, which by the way are not free (someone on here said they are)...you have to pay upfront for them out of your paycheck (up to $500) and they reimburse you if you pass and give you a .25 raise! The prizes someone else mentioned are freebies from HBO or SHOWTIME that are like coasters, pens, etc...just garbage. If they get busy in the call center they will cut your breaks in half and add mandatory overtime without your consent. You are also scored on like 6 to 8 different areas and each one can be an excuse to fire you. You have sales goals but depending on what department you work in they may or may not be attainable...and you usually dont get your commission unless your "close" rate is met too. Just more baloney to keep from giving you what you deserve. The only good thing about this place is that you do get 40 hrs a wk, barely above min. wage.
Pros
steady hrs, insurance if you can afford it
Cons
low pay, too many ways to fire you, never get 2 days off in a row

2.9